Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 11-19-2006, 6:50 AM

Default lets talk about concealment

I recently purchased a s&w 40 and took an nra approved safty class then applied for my ccw throught the local sheriffs office. now I have up to ninety days to figure out a decent method of carry.
keep in mind this is a bulky gun and in hind sight I should have gotten something that wasnt meant as a service weapon and was a little slimmer. maybe latter. but for now any good suggestions for winter time concealed carry with a large firearm.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, Here goes my Take...as always YMMV.

For Fullsize guns either a IWB or Shoulder rig has been the most comfy for me...but the Shoulder rig is hard to actually conceal in Cali's temperate climate. IWB is sometimes difficult unless you dont tuck in shirts or are willing to wear bigger/looser fitting clothes.

SOB (Small of Back) some like but it is absolutely DANGEROUS in my opinion and after discussing things with some detectives/cops and others that have been doing it for years; even a minor fall with a hit to the area can cause serious back problems. I dont like the fact that its MUCH more difficult to "monitor" if you're printing or shirts coming up. Lastly is the security of the weapon; behind the back is gotta be one of the most difficult to 'defend' if someone's goin' for it especially from behind.

Crossdraw is AWSOME for sitting/driving but is a much more difficult thing to cover IMO and some argue much more difficult to draw to a proper shooter's stance.

Its SOOOOOOOOOOOO 80's but I personally love/loved fanny packs; both specific quick draw types and just the true non-gun ones with a quick zipper, rather slow draw in comparison to IWB......

What has worked best for me ((but for SMALL weapons)) is/was "Thunderwear" deep concealment. Works well but has to be the slowest method....but definitely the best concealment IMO.

If it were my money I had to spend on you; I'd spend it on a DECENT IWB. DONT go Desantis, Bianchi, Galco...etc....you'll hate yourself later; go for broke and get a Mitch Rosin or Milt sparks...you'll never look back. I wish I had been turned onto these guys before I bought ummmmmpteen holsters from the 'big' guys; they work but they dont work well IMO. Sparks or Rosin *may* take a while to get as they are built one at a time, they are only a *tad* higher than some of the mark-ups on some shops selling the junkers; But I nearly-promise you'll love one/both of these guys' stuff. I aint EVER goin back to the cheap S**T

I started with 4 full size weapons on my card; now they're all compacts and/or sub compacts. Unless you really 'feel the need' for a full size...I'd start looking for a smaller weapon.

LASTLY, if you go IWB, thin belts suck, regular width/thickness belts work OK, but you'll love a true/well beuilt gun belt.............

You didn't skimp on the gun I'd bet, you've taken your & your loved ones safety seriously with getting the CCW....DONT skimp now on crappy accessories that could prevent a decent draw, possibly drop your weapon, print in public, or not carry the weight properly. Do it right the first time and you'll then always wonder why sooooooooo many others complain about thier cheapo holsters..........

Good luck

~Molôn Labé!!~

1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep
Old 11-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

A friend of mine carries a Sig P229 in one of these:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_det...uct_id=4258&d=

He loves it. Very fast to draw from, and has a couple of different carry options (IWB, paddle, etc.)

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 11-19-2006, 2:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

very informative metalhead...thanks!
Old 11-20-2006, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage
A friend of mine carries a Sig P229 in one of these:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_det...uct_id=4258&d=

He loves it. Very fast to draw from, and has a couple of different carry options (IWB, paddle, etc.)
Okay, I give up.

Explain to me how somebody could run that holster IWB.

Old 11-20-2006, 8:33 AM

Default Thanks

hey thanks a bunch for the thought put into your answer metal. I think i'm going to attempt the fanny pack until i can get a smaller weapon
Old 11-20-2006, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZMAT
hey thanks a bunch for the thought put into your answer metal. I think i'm going to attempt the fanny pack until i can get a smaller weapon
That is where I started and where I kept returning with the big-uns. Depending on where you live you can usually/still get away with a fanny....smaller seems to attract a lot less attention; so too are dark colors a good thing. I say stay away from either the truly 80's florescent yellow .....and stay away from models that have the recognizable names on them (Bianchi, etc.) that is large enough for you to read from more than a foot away. They do scream "Gun Inside"......

Good luck; and PLEASE lettme know what you think in the long run.....

~Molôn Labé!!~

2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
Old 11-20-2006, 8:44 PM

so for those of those who are retarded and new, what are all hte acronyms? IWB?
Old 11-21-2006, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal858
so for those of those who are retarded and new, what are all hte acronyms? IWB?
IWB = Inside the WaistBand

OWB = Outside the WaistBand
Old 11-21-2006, 6:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Sorry there Socal; I forgot some dont know those, I was there myself until looking into the CCW thing years ago.

thanks M1371

~Molôn Labé!!~

Old 11-21-2006, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead357
Sorry there Socal; I forgot some dont know those, I was there myself until looking into the CCW thing years ago.

thanks M1371
No worries mate. That's why we're all here.
Old 11-22-2006, 9:28 AM

Default s&w 340PD in a leather Galco strapless belt

i weigh 180, can have jeans and t-shirt on with my carry and no one can see anyting when i have it, and that 340 pd is SOO light! its 357 but feels like .22
Old 11-22-2006, 9:56 AM

For IWB Del Fatti or Bulman. A little easier to get would be Sparks. If you want good leather it will take a while (Del Fatti takes about a year). Makes a huge difference in comfort. If its no comfortable you wont wear it, and that kind of defeats the purpose of having a CCW. I wear a gun every day anb have for years. I have a box full of holsters and mag pouches that I have tried. What it comes down to is all people are different and need different holsters.
Old 11-22-2006, 2:35 PM

Personally I like the BladeTech UCH, but I don't know if they make it for yours. I have a Mitch Rosen and it is more comfortable, but I also tweaked the finish on one of my pistols from sweat soaking through the leather in just one (hot) day. Like most others I have tried many and like I said the UCH is the way to go. It is secure and you can tuck in your shirt, just make sure you blouse it or you'll print BIGTIME. (I subscribe to Clint Smith's theory that a CCW gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable)

Good luck

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

In tribute to Blackwater Ops
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 11-22-2006, 2:38 PM

What we oughta do is collect all of our "don't like'ms" put them into one box and send it to new guys then keep it rotating around.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

In tribute to Blackwater Ops
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Ben Franklin
Old 11-22-2006, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerm14
For IWB Del Fatti or Bulman. A little easier to get would be Sparks. If you want good leather it will take a while (Del Fatti takes about a year). Makes a huge difference in comfort. If its no comfortable you wont wear it, and that kind of defeats the purpose of having a CCW. I wear a gun every day anb have for years. I have a box full of holsters and mag pouches that I have tried. What it comes down to is all people are different and need different holsters.
LOL! You my brother from a different mother???? MAN! That coulda come right outta my mouth (save I dont have any exp with Del...) LOL!

And Pokey; good idea! I have passed along some of my holsters to others that were new to the scene, but yep..... I still toooooooo many holsters, have cyled through quite a few on the permit and all have at least two "trials" per gun before I "settled" on something that worked.....and then proceeded to swtich guns and the fun begins again.......

~Molôn Labé!!~

Old 11-22-2006, 8:53 PM

Talking

Quote:

I have Del Fatti's for my HK P7 M13 and for my Beretta 92 FS Centurion.. both are quality pieces of leather. Took about 18 months from order to delivery at the door. I gave away my Galco holsters a few weeks after breaking the Del fatti's in. If you can handle the wait time its the route to go.

Last edited by jerryg1776; 11-22-2006 at 8:56 PM..
Old 11-22-2006, 9:09 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1371
Okay, I give up.

Explain to me how somebody could run that holster IWB.

Put the proper adapter on it, it's got the belt adapter on in that image, slide it into your waistband.

You do need loose pants, but he seems to buy pants a size or so big, just for IWB carry... Looks uncomfortable as hell to me, too. Then again, I've tried an IWB around the house with a soft-side holster I've got, and it's not very comfy either.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 11-22-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryg1776
I have Del Fatti's for my HK P7 M13 and for my Beretta 92 FS Centurion.. both are quality pieces of leather. Took about 18 months from order to delivery at the door. I gave away my Galco holsters a few weeks after breaking the Del fatti's in. If you can handle the wait time its the route to go.
I carry a P7M8 in a Del Fatti every day. I would'nt have it any other way.
Old 11-23-2006, 7:46 PM

Quote:
I carry a P7M8 in a Del Fatti every day. I would'nt have it any other way.
Amen my brother....
Old 11-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You do need loose pants, but he seems to buy pants a size or so big, just for IWB carry... Looks uncomfortable as hell to me, too. Then again, I've tried an IWB around the house with a soft-side holster I've got, and it's not very comfy either.

LOL! BTDT! It DOES take getting used to...any of the styles of carry; First time I ever packed outta the house I was walking into Walmart and it suddenly dawned on me..... I'm carrying a freaking Concealed gun!!!!!!! and M' God how it was feeling soooooo heavy; thought I was printing to the point that a granny could see me at distance.

All of the holsters, shoulder, SOB, IWB all take some serious 'adjustment" time; once you've done it though....you can usually try a new brand and know whether it'll work for you or not in but a couple of minutes.....

~Molôn Labé!!~

Old 11-24-2006, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Put the proper adapter on it, it's got the belt adapter on in that image, slide it into your waistband.

I've been told the only options for the CQC Serpa is either with the belt adaptor (shown in the pic), the paddle adaptor or mounted on a thigh rig.

The reason I'm asking how he's running it IWB is because of the release mechanism, the part I've circled in yellow here. If your buddy is running this holster IWB then either the release mechanism is covered by his waistband or he's got a SUPER high-riding holster. The release mechanism would have to be elevated above his beltline (approx the red line I've drawn in the pic) which looks like it'd be way too top heavy to be practical or comfortable.

Are you SURE he's using this same holster IWB?

Most IWB style holsters strive to achieve maximum concealment, which tends to bury the gun as deep as practical (usually right up to the pistol grip).
Old 11-26-2006, 2:16 PM

Thumbs up

A good belt and cover garment and it's not as difficult as you might think. Here is a PC5906 with Kramer horsehide, a Surefire light, and do-it-all knife. Second pic is a favorite Hi Power with Kramer horsehide.

Last edited by Poohgyrr; 01-28-2007 at 7:53 AM..
Old 11-27-2006, 11:17 AM

Does anyone have any experience with C Tac IWB?
Old 11-27-2006, 2:52 PM

I use the Thunderwear and a Galco leather IWB. The Thunderwear is good as you can choose whether to wear it at the high-noon position, 3 o'clock or 4, etc. I most use the Thunderwear at 3 o'clock as I prefer that position. Something about the high-noon position with a AD that gives me the willys.

The Galco is nice too but, for me, requires colder temps for more clothing to conceal.

The Thunderwear could be improved by using better fabric though.
Friends don't let friends vote demorat
Utah CCW permit holder
Old 11-27-2006, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stator
The Thunderwear could be improved by using better fabric though.
LOL! YEP! And it would be nice to have some more gun specific ones rather than sm, med, lg, and extra large pockets......

~Molôn Labé!!~

Old 11-27-2006, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead357
LOL! YEP! And it would be nice to have some more gun specific ones rather than sm, med, lg, and extra large pockets......
I ordered two Thunderwear holsters today, the guy on the phone told me that they would be custom made for my gun.
Old 11-27-2006, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhpper
Does anyone have any experience with C Tac IWB?
I've used the Comp-Tac C-Tac IWB a bit a few years ago. Ended up getting rid of it for a BladeTech IWB instead.

The biggest issue I had was the bottoms of the belt clips were annoying me, they'd dig into my hip while I was sitting for prolonged periods. Finally got fed up with it.

I know of one other guy who I've worked with, he swears by it. But he's also built like a fencepost, so that probably accounts for something.

Can't complain about the quality and their customer service is pretty fast.
Old 11-27-2006, 7:57 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Blade Tech.
Old 11-27-2006, 8:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhpper
I ordered two Thunderwear holsters today, the guy on the phone told me that they would be custom made for my gun.
O REALLY?????? Might be time for me to update; mine are pretty old and only had them in the sizes I mentioned....... Thanks

~Molôn Labé!!~

Old 01-06-2007, 4:17 PM

Have you guys heard of "pager pal" holsters? I spoke with Dwayne at the armory when I got my ccw and that's what he reccomended. I have 6 holsters that I bought before this one and I don't think I'll use any of them now that I have the pager pal.
Old 01-09-2007, 7:48 PM

I swear by both of my CTAC's as well. One for my P9 the other for my G-26. No printing, comfy all day, on and off in seconds. BTW. Im built like a fence post as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1371
I've used the Comp-Tac C-Tac IWB a bit a few years ago. Ended up getting rid of it for a BladeTech IWB instead.

The biggest issue I had was the bottoms of the belt clips were annoying me, they'd dig into my hip while I was sitting for prolonged periods. Finally got fed up with it.

I know of one other guy who I've worked with, he swears by it. But he's also built like a fencepost, so that probably accounts for something.

Can't complain about the quality and their customer service is pretty fast.
Old 01-10-2007, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAZMAT
I recently purchased a s&w 40 and took an nra approved safty class then applied for my ccw throught the local sheriffs office. now I have up to ninety days to figure out a decent method of carry.
keep in mind this is a bulky gun and in hind sight I should have gotten something that wasnt meant as a service weapon and was a little slimmer. maybe latter. but for now any good suggestions for winter time concealed carry with a large firearm.
I carry my M&P 40 in a Comp-tac C tak IWB holster. Comfortable for all day wear, easy to draw, and easy to re-holster.

Regards,
Old 01-10-2007, 7:00 PM

I have three of these for the three different guns I carry. If you carry day in and day out these are very comfortable. You can wear a button up(Snaps) tucked in shirt and have instant access. You have to practice but you can get your draw pretty quick. It is the same muscle memory to draw while seated. Who looks at the center of your chest for a concealed weapon?

http://survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

Click on chest holster if it doesn't come up to the chest holster.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:27 AM

Get yourself a nice gun belt; Sparks will do, they're all about the same, truth be told. So long as you stay with the 'well-known' makers, the belt should be fine. (add a couple inches to allow for your CCW)

I'd recommend an IWB, and I like AKJ Concealco. Their belt loops are set off at an angle, and that helps pull the entire CCW rig in closer to the body and hide better. As with the belt, if you stay with the big names for a holster, you can't go wrong; if you don't like your choice, you can always sell it on the used market. Choose the right clothes, and you can damn near pack a Desert Eagle.

Last edited by moredes; 01-22-2007 at 10:31 AM..