Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-21-2011, 8:29 AM

Default Evil brass stamped DAG?

I was cleaning/depriming a bunch of range brass, and I came across 10 shells of 9mm with a DAG headstamp. This stuff was mean. The primers where really hard to punch out. I was using my Lee universal deprimer /with the unbreakable depriming pin, well it broke the pin. Luckily midway is sending a replcement pin. Have any of you ran into this case before, and should I just toss the ones that I actually managed to get the primer out of?

I also sort my brass by head stamp, and I came across some with an NT after the manufacturers mark, i.e. WIN NT and FC NT. Any ideas on what this indicates?

I'm kinda new to reloading, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213
Maybe I should quit my job and just OC all day until my money train pulls up and unjustly arrests me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
OK, I don't know everything about Congress (except that it's the opposite of "progress" )
Old 04-21-2011, 9:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Probly "Non Toxic." Meaning a fully clad boolit (no exposed lead) to eliminate lead fumes. Meant mostly for indoor ranges.

The "NT" .45ACP has mostly Small Pistol primers vs the normal Large Pistol. The Federal NT they're selling at WalMart is quickly becoming a royal PITA for us brass rats.

As I understand it a lot of it is also crimped primers ala .mil brass. That would explain the tough decapping.
A reamer costs about $20. Fix it once & fuhgeddaboudit.

Any chance it could be Euro Berdan primed? That stuff's not reloadable & will definitely take out your 'capping pin.

Last edited by Fishslayer; 04-21-2011 at 9:09 AM..
Old 04-21-2011, 9:13 AM

A quick google search says they have undersized flash holes. Be on the lookout for berdan primed brass too, they'll cause the symptom you describe. Ran into some berdan primed 9mm a few weeks ago, Norma headstamp.

In any case, just toss em. 9mm brass is so plentiful, so don't worry about it.

NT means non toxic primer. On the ones I have seen the flash hole looks larger, others say they can be smaller though.
Old 04-21-2011, 9:51 AM

I bought a large lot of 9mm brass recently. I am finding several of those damn DAG headstamps in there. I broke my decapping pin too. I bought 3 replacements off the Lee website since they're only about $2 each. The problem is definitely the small flash hole.

Right now, I'm just segregating them. I guess I'll have to drill out the flash hole from the open end and then decap them. I am finding too many to toss. I don't want to sell them and pass them off on some other poor unsuspecting soul either.
Old 04-21-2011, 9:53 AM

I had an experience with the "NT" also, no problem decapping but repriming was a bear. The primers are crimped. I used a small file and opened the primer pockets up a bit.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
I bought a large lot of 9mm brass recently. I am finding several of those damn DAG headstamps in there. I broke my decapping pin too. I bought 3 replacements off the Lee website since they're only about $2 each. The problem is definitely the small flash hole.

Right now, I'm just segregating them. I guess I'll have to drill out the flash hole from the open end and then decap them. I am finding too many to toss. I don't want to sell them and pass them off on some other poor unsuspecting soul either.
If it broke the pin, you should be able to get it replaced free by Lee. Warranty and all that.

I'm also amazed by all these Lee Universals that are breaking, I thought the collet system prevented that from happening?

(also, instead of selling them... send them to a recycling center for a couple bucks... much better solution than adding alot of work with the drilling IMO)
Old 04-21-2011, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

If the collet system is tightened down too tightly, the decapper rod won't be able to move, thus allowing the pin to get broken. It should be pretty darn snug, but not Hulk Hogan-snug.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 04-21-2011, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
If it broke the pin, you should be able to get it replaced free by Lee. Warranty and all that. I'm also amazed by all these Lee Universals that are breaking, I thought the collet system prevented that from happening? (also, instead of selling them... send them to a recycling center for a couple bucks... much better solution than adding alot of work with the drilling IMO)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
If the collet system is tightened down too tightly, the decapper rod won't be able to move, thus allowing the pin to get broken. It should be pretty darn snug, but not Hulk Hogan-snug.
That's exactly what happened. I had the collet down too tight and it was my fault that I broke it. That's why I bought them; I couldn't see asking for a freebie when I was responsible for breaking it. Since then I got it set up properly and I found a few DAG cases that slipped through the screening process the nice way. It's a good system (if you use it).

Mine wasn't a Universal decapper, it was part of the standard carbide 3-die set. I hadn't considered scrapping them before. I'll look into that when I get them all sorted out. The lot I bought had 3100 pieces, so it's not like I need the brass that badly anymore.
Old 04-21-2011, 5:54 PM

Well you could always just stop and see what is causing strain on removing a tight primer. Or you can just not care and pull the heck out of the ram until something breaks. If I feel any abnormal pressure I stop and pull out the case. Toss those suckers in my recycling bin.
Old 04-21-2011, 6:39 PM

DAG brass is made by Dynamit Nobel in Germany. It was previously made by GECO. This stuff might be berdan primed. Just sort and toss....
S.A.S.S #74217
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 04-21-2011, 7:16 PM

It's not berdan and I'm calling shenanigans on feeling "any abnormal pressure".

The press is designed to have overload protection. I obviously did not have it set up properly. Now it is. It's as simple as that. I also have several other die sets that have worked flawlessly for years and this is the first time this has happened. Coincidentally, it is also the first time I've come across this evil DAG brass. Hmmm....
Old 04-21-2011, 8:20 PM

Ehhh, I was commenting on the OP post.
I reload on a XL 650, but if I feel that a primer is not coming out easily I just don't keep adding pressure until it comes out or breakes the decapping pin. That's just a live and learn rookie mistake.
Old 04-21-2011, 9:15 PM

Well, actually I knew there was pressure, but the universal decapping die from Lee bills itself as mentioned. i.e. the volley die will pop if to much pressure is applied. To bad they didn't tell me that i had to losen the die.

So I wouldn't exactly call it a rookie mistake. Thanks to everyone else for all your helpful answers.