Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 11-18-2006, 12:37 AM

Default Tired of the bench

Hello, my name is Chris and I'm tired of the bench.

For 6 years now (ever since I moved to NorCal from Oklahoma) I've been sitting at the benches at Chabot a few times a year just to keep in practice (I used to shoot quite a bit back in Oklahoma) but I haven't been truly inspired.

As part of the OLL craze, I found myself here on Calguns and stumbled into this forum. I just assumed the other ranges at Chabot for for skeet and group rentals. I never even knew they had a 100-yard range! My poor 30.06 has been upset w/ the 100yd range - can't wait to let her stretch her legs a little. And after reading posts here, I'm definitely ready to try something new like Tac Rifle. However, I haven't shot in any position other then sitting bench for years and I've never shot on the move. Where should I start?

I was thinking Long Gun PPC to practice different positions without the added stress of moving. Is that a good place to start?

Also, does anyone know what my position options are at the regular public ranges? Will the RO's freak out if I want to stand and shoot (I'm thinking not)? What about sitting or prone? I want those padded mats we had in boy scouts!

Thanks for any input.

Chris
Mauser 30.06
Marlin 30-30
RRA Tactical CAR A4
Old 11-18-2006, 5:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grywlfbg
I just assumed the other ranges at Chabot for for skeet and group rentals. I never even knew they had a 100-yard range! My poor 30.06 has been upset w/ the 100yd range - can't wait to let her stretch her legs a little.
Hmmm, if you didn't know Chabot had a 100 yard lane than maybe I shouln't tell youabout thier 200 yard range Yep, TWO hundred, one lot over from the main. They do High power Comps and JCG (john C GARAND) matches on the 200. Couple of positions too.

Next JCG is Nov 26 IIRC, Could/should contact Chabot directly and/or our own NRA_HighpowerShooter here who runs the JCG's.

Dont have a Garand? Thats ok, they will rent you one for FREE....just/MUST use thier ammo (that you DO pay for).

~Molôn Labé!!~

1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep

Last edited by metalhead357; 11-18-2006 at 5:56 AM..
Old 11-18-2006, 8:11 AM

They're running a 3-gun match at Sac Valley on the 25th. http://www.actionpistol.org/ncps/multigun.pdf

I think all the spots are all ready filled up, but I think you'd still have a lot of fun spectating (just bring eyes and ears), and you'd probably find you'd be permanantly unsuitable to shoot off bench.

Here's a couple videos from rifle shot in the past.

There's facilities to run action rifle out to 300 yard as in this clip http://www.actionpistol.org/ncps2005...rifle/stg3.mpg

This is a short range course.
http://www.actionpistol.org/ncps2005...rifle/stg5.mpg

There's also pistol and shotgun stages and sometimes stages that use more than one gun. Dont get intimidated by the skill and equipment shown in the clips. There's always a few guys just getting into it that are shooting just whatever they had.
Old 11-18-2006, 4:39 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by grywlfbg
Also, does anyone know what my position options are at the regular public ranges? Will the RO's freak out if I want to stand and shoot (I'm thinking not)? What about sitting or prone? I want those padded mats we had in boy scouts!
I shoot at Chabot a fair amount (was there today), and I can tell you they don't mind one bit if you don't want to shoot from the bench. They're fine with position shooting, just as long as you keep your rifle pointed downrange all the time. (Some people have a problem gettin from prone to standing or the other way around without swinging the rifle everywhere...)

I found a good, cheap prone shooting pad. Go to Sportsmart and pick up one of their cheap-*** yoga mats. You can choose purple if you like, but I got mine in green. I think I paid $12.

Chabot also has tactical rifle shoots. They're fairly short range (max is about 80 yards) but tough because of stage designs. You'll want something military-ish gun-wise, a bolt rifle is fine, but it should at least accept stripper clips. Though, if you don't mind loading one round at a time, it's allowed. Ammo is anything that's not a steel-cored or -jacketed FMJ if we're using knock-down targets, and it's gotta be safe, reliable ammo (and shot by a safe shooter).

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 11-20-2006, 7:06 AM
Veteran Member

When I talked to the MD about the 3-gun Sac Valley Match this weekend, we pre-registered 5 of us and the top # was 39. The web site is incorrect, they will take 48 shooters (not 40). So as far as I know, it's still open to registrations. However if you do not have the gear for it, it's still fun to come on out and watch us. I'll be the nut with the 20 gauge 870 with the extended mag tube, a revolver, and a borrowed rifle (My Mini-14 has a firing pin issue).

Vince
Old 11-20-2006, 6:31 PM

Yep, still a few slots left as of this morning.
Old 11-21-2006, 6:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone notice our original poster boggied-out

~Molôn Labé!!~

1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep
Old 12-14-2006, 2:17 PM

Sorry for going quiet guys. I'm hoping to show up to tac rifle this wkend. But w/o a gripless build (nor stripper clips) I'm worried about trying to shoot PPC or tac rifle w/ a fixed mag build. I'm in the process of doing a gripless build but I'm waiting for the new and improved MM grip due in January. I'm hoping to get into tac rifle and rifle PPC in a big way next year!
Old 12-14-2006, 5:26 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It can be done, there are two members on this board who did TacRifle with Prince50 kits. The key is plan the reloads before you start the stage, apparently.

There's an open class for people shooting stuff like fixed-mag OLLs and Mosin-Nagant rifles.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member