Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-19-2011, 4:36 AM

Default Difference between Rimfire and Centerfire rifles?

What is the difference between Rimfire and Centerfire rifles? Im looking at purchasing my first rifle and was just curious why I should pick one over the other.
Old 04-19-2011, 4:43 AM

Cheap ammunition for rimfire.

And well.. as the name implies, rimfired and centerfired cartridges.
Old 04-19-2011, 4:46 AM
Veteran Member

On a rimfire you can have all the evil features(pistol grip, retractable or folding stock, forward grip, flash hider, "A barrel shroud which is a shoulder thingy that goes up" on the rifle.

For rimfire your manly able to find .22lr, hornet, magnum or short rimfire which are small caliber. Centerfire you will be able to get larger calibers

Centerfire cannot has all those wonderful evil features without making the rifle look and function retarded such as bullet button or featureless.

For a first rifle I would recommend a Ruger 10/22 that shoots rimfire .22lr which is the most modifiable and fun rifle at about 3-4 cents a round. Since its your first rifle it would be nice to shoot a low cost ammo rifle to hone in the skills before blowing your money on a expensive caliber rifle. As larger as anyones collection there would be a ruger 10/22 since its just plane fun.

Theres many great rifles, but my question to you is what is the purpose for the rifle? Fun? defense? sport? hunting? etc.
Old 04-19-2011, 6:01 AM

Did you even try a Google search?

In cave man terms. Rimfire = little wussy bullet. Centerfire = bigger manly bullet
Old 04-19-2011, 6:08 AM

The easiest way to describe it is where the striker hits the cartridge. On rimfire, it hits the outside or rim. Centerfire, well... hits near the center. Most rimfire is .22, but .17 HMR (which isn't terribly cheap to shoot) is rimfire also -and while tiny, is an evil little round!
Old 04-19-2011, 6:22 AM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

For a little bit of history, rimfire cartridges were quite popular at one time (100+ years ago) and were available in many calibers. My property has been settled since the Gold Rush days, and I recently dug up some old brass in my yard while installing sprinklers. One of the cartridges is a rimfire in .38 or .40 caliber. I find this stuff interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rimfire_cartridges

Today, the only rimfire calibers widely available are .17 and .22
Old 04-19-2011, 7:06 AM

there's also a pronounced difference in "power" and range. the rimfire, while diminutive in comparison to most centerfire cartridges, still, generates a lot of "power', though.

do NOT underestimate the rimfire cartridge.
Old 04-19-2011, 9:14 AM
Vendor/Retailer

While you have been given many great examples of the differences, features and benefits of both rimfires and centerfires, you have not said how you intend to use your rifle. Where will you be shooting; at what distances; indoors; etc.? Do you plan to hunt game? You need to decide what you require in a rifle and then go from there.

George P.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 04-19-2011, 9:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnegrant View Post
What is the difference between Rimfire and Centerfire rifles? Im looking at purchasing my first rifle and was just curious why I should pick one over the other.
A rimfire rifle is generally a 22 caliber and uses inexpensive, relatively low power ammunition. A rimfire rifle is available in as many styles and configurations as a centerfire rifle. However, since the 22/17 caliber rounds they shoot are by comparison lower powered the rifle actions do not have (nor need) the same strength as their high powered centerfire versions. This is not to say they are poorly made, a good rimfire rifle is just as well made as a good centerfire rifle.

A rimfire can also be easier to scope - they generally have grooves on the receiver for mounting a scope. I would say in general folks tend to spend less on a scope for a rimfire rifle and you generally don't have to worry about recoil damaging the scope.

Unless there's some compelling reason, such as hunting or "living in the boonies self defense" for a first rifle I think a rimfire is always a better choice than centerfire. You can practice more, learn your likes and dislikes regarding rifles and then move up to a centerfire.
Old 04-19-2011, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

WOOOOOWOOWOOWOWOWOw
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 04-19-2011, 9:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

yvonnegrant,

I really suggest getting a .22lr rifle first. It will give you years of service for pennies on the dollar of what any centerfire rifle will cost to feed. They are excellent for training, hunting small game and used for various forms of competition all the way up to the Olymipcs. If you are in the greater LA area, shoot me a PM and I can meet you at a range and let you try a variety of different rimfire and centerfire rifles.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.