Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-18-2011, 1:28 PM

Default Trijicon vs TRUGLO Night Sights (handgun) - Impressions

I had an opportunity to compare the Trijicon Bright & Tough Night Sights (just installed on my Glock 27) with the TRUGLO Tritium/Fiber Optic Sights on my M&P 40; here are some of my impressions.

Low/no-light conditions: both Trijicon and TRUGLO do very well with their green dots and appear to be about the same brightness.

Indoors: Trijicon worked better for me due to their white dots contrasting a shy bit more than the TRUGLO green dots. The white dots also had appeared more crisp. The TRUGLO green dot's brightness/contrast depends on the available ambient indoor light being picked up by its light pipes.

Outdoors: Hands down, the TRUGLO green dots just popped. They were really bright and this is where the light pipes really shine. Trijicon's white dots were more than adequate and were just fine.

Both the Trijicon and TRUGLO night sights were of high quality and definitely an upgrade to the stock sights of the G27 and M&P 40; I highly recommend either one of them, which of course is contingent on your particular needs.

The Glock 27 is my primary concealed carry and due to the nature of my work, the majority of life threatening situations will most likely occur indoors. So for me, I'm favoring the Trijicon over the TRUGLO. For outdoor run & gun events, I definitely favor the TRUGLO.

A note of consideration: the design of the Trijicon rear sight is squared off as opposed to the ramped design of the TRUGLO. Heaven forbid if my left (non-dominant) hand is injured during a firefight, it would be easier to perform a one-handed racking of the slide using the Trijicon rear sight against an edge.

Below: Trijicon Bright & Tough Night Sights installed on the Glock 27

Below: TRUGLO Tritium/Fiber Optic sights installed on the S&W M&P 40

Last edited by Jubz; 04-18-2011 at 3:15 PM..
Old 04-18-2011, 3:32 PM
Calguns Addict

When it comes to the actual tritium night sights from Truglo, then I like them just fine. But they also make non-tritium fiber optic sights that are extremely fragile. So I would clarifiy that you are trying to compare Tritium Night Sights from two different brands, and not trying to compare Truglo non-tritium sights to Trijicon tritium sights. Because if you were, Trijicon wins hands down.

When it comes to tritium sights, I go with what is in stock and what is the best deal/fit for my particular handgun. So far that has meant Trijicon and Meprolite, and I liked them both. I would happily use Truglo. I just haven't had the opportunity. I have, however, handled and inspected them as well as handled and inspected firearms with them. They seem just fine to me.

My eyes have ZERO trouble picking up the Trijicon/Meprolight sights regardless of light conditions. I really like them.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 04-18-2011 at 3:39 PM..