Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-15-2011, 9:24 AM
SIGman Freud SIGman Freud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 848
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Beretta 92FS vs 92A1 vs M9A1?

Hi all,

Interested in picking up a Beretta pistol in 9mm. I've always been fond of Berettas but never bought one. The first pistol I ever shot was a Beretta 92 (I think), about 12 yrs ago. It felt great in my hands and I shot pretty well for my first time.

Since that time, I have gotten into firearms and have a Glock, Sig, Bersa, and CZ. After all this time, however, I have yet to own a Beretta. My purpose of use would be more for range use and secondarily for defense. And, for collectability

Last edited by SIGman Freud; 04-15-2011 at 11:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-15-2011, 9:27 AM
kidrice's Avatar
kidrice kidrice is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 141
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Actually, if someone could clarify the differences on each model, it would help me learn too.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-15-2011, 9:28 AM
Marsoc1's Avatar
Marsoc1 Marsoc1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alhambra, CA
Posts: 238
iTrader: 15 / 94%
Default

http://youtu.be/iRJgBqaDOzs

good video comparing m9 and 92fs, A1 is just a rail add on

Last edited by Marsoc1; 04-15-2011 at 9:31 AM.. Reason: speeling error
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Munk's Avatar
Munk Munk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,126
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsoc1 View Post
http://youtu.be/iRJgBqaDOzs

good video comparing m9 and 92fs, A1 is just a rail add on
92FS and M9 are very similar with cosmetic differences. You're wrong about A1 only meaning rail add-on.

With the M9a1, that's true. with the new 92A1 it's not.

The newest guns from beretta are their 92a1 and 96a1, which are something of a hybrid between the mechanicals of a 90-two and the looks of the 92FS.

These new models are NOT CA-Roster compliant, and there will not be a model made that way. They can be obtained via the usual roster exemption methods.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
1911's instill fairy dust in the bullets, making them more deadly.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Ricky808maui Ricky808maui is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 244
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default Beretta

Just recently picked up the M9A1.....Yep absolutely love this gun.... At the time I didn't have a 9mm yet and decided this was it over a sig... I'm no expert but I think besides the rail the 92 is made in Italy and the m9a1 is made here in US... Could be wrong but either one is good.... Love the hogue grip on it too
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 AM
Darthbauer's Avatar
Darthbauer Darthbauer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 707
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

There are 92's made here and in the boot shaped country.

For a good amount of info go here,

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/index.php

Last edited by Darthbauer; 04-15-2011 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: added link
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-15-2011, 6:02 PM
SIGman Freud SIGman Freud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 848
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky808maui View Post
Just recently picked up the M9A1.....Yep absolutely love this gun.... At the time I didn't have a 9mm yet and decided this was it over a sig... I'm no expert but I think besides the rail the 92 is made in Italy and the m9a1 is made here in US... Could be wrong but either one is good.... Love the hogue grip on it too
Do the M9A1's come standard with the Hogue grip?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-15-2011, 6:03 PM
SIGman Freud SIGman Freud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 848
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
92FS and M9 are very similar with cosmetic differences. You're wrong about A1 only meaning rail add-on.

With the M9a1, that's true. with the new 92A1 it's not.

The newest guns from beretta are their 92a1 and 96a1, which are something of a hybrid between the mechanicals of a 90-two and the looks of the 92FS.

These new models are NOT CA-Roster compliant, and there will not be a model made that way. They can be obtained via the usual roster exemption methods.
Would you say there is a plus or minus for obtaining either the 92FS or M9 civilian version? Is one more comfortable than the other? Are there more parts available after market for one over the other?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-15-2011, 8:57 PM
rogervzv's Avatar
rogervzv rogervzv is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 1,831
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGman Freud View Post
Would you say there is a plus or minus for obtaining either the 92FS or M9 civilian version? Is one more comfortable than the other? Are there more parts available after market for one over the other?
Unless I am very much mistaken, the 92FS and M9 (civilian) are pretty much functionally equivalent. Just marking differences on the slide.

The M9a1 has a mil-spec rail and all of them that I have seen are made in USA.

I start DROS on my M9a1 in 10 days. Meanwhile I am enjoying my 92fs (made in Italy). Both are fantastic pistols.
__________________
Come and Take It!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-15-2011, 11:55 PM
SIGman Freud SIGman Freud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 848
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

How's the QC for the U.S.-made Berettas versus the ones made in Italy?

Also, what's a reasonable price to pay at a gunshop in NorCal for a black 92FS? What about M9?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 AM
sanjm23 sanjm23 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 120
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I too who the 92 first and loved it. I thought why not get a 96 since it's a stronger cal.
What I found is the 96 does not fit my hand as well. Also I don't shoot well with it. Long story short, make sure you shoot the exact model first before you buy it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-16-2011, 5:22 AM
GreasyOldGranny GreasyOldGranny is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 14
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I have the m9a1 and I love it! No recoil, shoots super straight, and the open slide is super sexy. The m9a1 is the best of both worlds it's got the mil spec rail and it's made in usa.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-16-2011, 8:05 AM
Call_me_Tom's Avatar
Call_me_Tom Call_me_Tom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,309
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

I like how the 92A1 has dovetailed front sights but I can't warm up to the rounded trigger guard.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-16-2011, 8:19 AM
Munk's Avatar
Munk Munk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,126
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGman Freud View Post
Would you say there is a plus or minus for obtaining either the 92FS or M9 civilian version? Is one more comfortable than the other? Are there more parts available after market for one over the other?
As the other guy said, they're functionally identical. They use the same replacement parts, the same grips, and the same accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGman Freud View Post
How's the QC for the U.S.-made Berettas versus the ones made in Italy?

Also, what's a reasonable price to pay at a gunshop in NorCal for a black 92FS? What about M9?

Thanks!
There are people who swear by their Italian made Berettas in the same way people swear by their German made SIG's.

I haven't seen anyone take proper measurements, but people CLAIM the finish is better on italian made, the parts are fitted better, and the trigger pull is smoother. Mind you, none of the people who talk about this mention if it's comparing a new italian, versus a new american. Or a well used, broken in italian against a new american.

My American made 96 is smooth, I can see no blemishes in the finish, the mags it came with are just as easy to insert as my italian made magazines.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjm23 View Post
I too who the 92 first and loved it. I thought why not get a 96 since it's a stronger cal.
What I found is the 96 does not fit my hand as well. Also I don't shoot well with it. Long story short, make sure you shoot the exact model first before you buy it.
I'm a little surprised the gun fits your hand differently... The frames are the same between a 96 and a 92. In fact you can freely swap the slides betwen them.

I'm wondering if what you tried on one of them had a Vertec frame instead. This was a variant that beretta produced with a slimmed down backstrap.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
1911's instill fairy dust in the bullets, making them more deadly.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-16-2011, 9:15 AM
rogervzv's Avatar
rogervzv rogervzv is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 1,831
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyOldGranny View Post
I have the m9a1 and I love it! No recoil, shoots super straight, and the open slide is super sexy. The m9a1 is the best of both worlds it's got the mil spec rail and it's made in usa.
I agree, although I sure like my Italian-made 92fs. OTOH I do wish it were made in USA and had the rail, hence my imminent DROS of a new M9a1.
__________________
Come and Take It!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 AM
tbhracing tbhracing is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Sac
Posts: 5,528
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Me-

I am a primary Glock guy in 9mm, 17 and 19. I like they way they feel, shoot, trigger reset and over all operation.

Next- I have two Sigs in 9mm (226 and 228). The 226 is fun to shot and fits my hand very well. I own the Sigs because I just have to collect and love them.

Lastly- I saw a almost brand new, condition 10 used Beretta 92FS. Its fat for my hand, but I have never shot it. I bought this one because the price was right and I just needed to collect one. The problem now is that I cant bring myself to show this near perfect condition 92FS as I dont want to add any wear and tear to her. Yeah, I am weird, but thats just the way it is.

I would get one just to rock it. I am considering getting a very used 92FS so I can rock it in the desert.

Get one and please get back to us. Just remember that the grip is fat which doesnt work for me.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 AM
fsx's Avatar
fsx fsx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 139
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I have a M9A1
It's quite heavy but accurate and realiable.
Get one if you can
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-17-2011, 11:07 AM
SIGman Freud SIGman Freud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 848
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Yeah, I'm still looking at the Beretta 92 FS. Is $589.99 a good price for a new, Made In Italy FS? Or, should I bite the bullet (pun intended) and spend a little more for the 25th Anniversary M9 from Beretta?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-17-2011, 11:12 AM
jermzzzzzzz's Avatar
jermzzzzzzz jermzzzzzzz is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: OC
Posts: 821
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Get a Centurion or a Compact





__________________
United States Air Force Security Forces
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-17-2011, 11:19 AM
UserM4's Avatar
UserM4 UserM4 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,687
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I have an M9A1. I'm into modern military firearms and obviously, the M9A1 has somewhat of an allure due to the recent acquirement by our US Marine Corp.

The M9 is has it's lineage through being the standard sidearm for our US Army.

But I've always loved the classic lines of the 92F. My father had one and it was the first firearm that I've had the privilege to handle. I've always wanted one. Someday I will.
__________________
While we're here arguing about the latest high tech running shoes, there's some Kenyan out there running barefoot. Guess who's gonna win the marathon?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-17-2011, 11:44 AM
rogervzv's Avatar
rogervzv rogervzv is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 1,831
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

The 92fs has clean, classic lines and shoots like a dream.
__________________
Come and Take It!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-17-2011, 11:47 AM
rogervzv's Avatar
rogervzv rogervzv is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 1,831
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGman Freud View Post
Yeah, I'm still looking at the Beretta 92 FS. Is $589.99 a good price for a new, Made In Italy FS? Or, should I bite the bullet (pun intended) and spend a little more for the 25th Anniversary M9 from Beretta?
Can't tell you as between the 92fs and M9 other than that there are really no differences worth fretting over between the two. $589 is a great price for an FS in California.
__________________
Come and Take It!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Cokebottle's Avatar
Cokebottle Cokebottle is offline
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 24,238
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogervzv View Post
Unless I am very much mistaken, the 92FS and M9 (civilian) are pretty much functionally equivalent. Just marking differences on the slide.
Virtually identical, except the M9 uses hex screws and is US-made.

But the US made 92 series also use hex screws.
__________________
-- Rich


Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-17-2011, 12:21 PM
SIGman Freud SIGman Freud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 848
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Nice-looking pistol, rogervzv! I really like those grips, too!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-19-2011, 10:35 AM
Peter.Steele's Avatar
Peter.Steele Peter.Steele is offline
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: .
Posts: 7,367
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGman Freud View Post
Yeah, I'm still looking at the Beretta 92 FS. Is $589.99 a good price for a new, Made In Italy FS? Or, should I bite the bullet (pun intended) and spend a little more for the 25th Anniversary M9 from Beretta?


I paid $600 a few weeks ago for my Italian-made 92FS. It wasn't - quite - new, had a little under a hundred rounds through it. Looks brand new, though, and came with all the box-goodies and paperwork, a pair of Hogue Alumagrips, a Blackhawk! holster, about a hundred rounds, and a couple of extra magazines.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-19-2011, 1:45 PM
SIGman Freud SIGman Freud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 848
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Alright, I found and bought my first Beretta! Yeah!!

I got it for $589.99, brand new, Italian-made. All black and badass! I can't wait to bring it home, clean it up and put it through the test!

If anyone else in the Sacramento area is in the market for new Beretta 92's, they got 'em for the lowest price in the area at River City Gun Exchange!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-19-2011, 1:56 PM
Munk's Avatar
Munk Munk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,126
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
I paid $600 a few weeks ago for my Italian-made 92FS. It wasn't - quite - new, had a little under a hundred rounds through it. Looks brand new, though, and came with all the box-goodies and paperwork, a pair of Hogue Alumagrips, a Blackhawk! holster, about a hundred rounds, and a couple of extra magazines.
100rds might as well be factory new on a beretta. There's so little wear or tear that can possibly happen during that time.

Nice price for a shiny italian-made with extra goodies. Actually, it's GREAT once you factor in the goodies.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
1911's instill fairy dust in the bullets, making them more deadly.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-20-2011, 8:55 AM
Peter.Steele's Avatar
Peter.Steele Peter.Steele is offline
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: .
Posts: 7,367
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
100rds might as well be factory new on a beretta. There's so little wear or tear that can possibly happen during that time.

Nice price for a shiny italian-made with extra goodies. Actually, it's GREAT once you factor in the goodies.


Oh, I'm absolutely thrilled with her.

When I was in the Navy I hated the M9's we were issued. Always shot well - got the expert qual - but never liked them. For some reason I got the bug to buy one, though. Guess it was nostalgia, maybe ... anyway, I bought the 92FS and I really couldn't be any happier with it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 3:50 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.