Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 04-10-2011, 11:07 PM

Default Boggs Mtn Demonstration Forest Designated Shooting Range Needs Our Help

UPDATE: 12/6/2011

I spent a couple of days camping and shooting at Boggs last week and came away with some new info after running into the Forest Manager, Gerri Finn. She told me that the same folks who are pushing to get Cow Mtn. shut down are looking at Boggs next. Cow Mtn. is run by the Sheriffs and they haven't been able to get the trash problem under control. Once it is declared a hazardous waste site, it will be shut down. This could easily happen to Boggs.

On the bright side, our cleanup in June has had a lasting effect and is looking pretty darn good. Those big root balls and stumps that lined the front have all been pushed to the side. Most of the trash that we saw was mainly biodegradable clays, cans, cardboard and some filing cabinets someone left. We managed to pack out about 6 bags full of garbage this time to help out.

The Forest Manager told me that during the holidays, the range sees a lot of traffic and a lot of garbage. When I asked her if there was anything I could do, she replied that if we organized another range cleanup after the holidays that it would show people that there is a lasting commitment to keeping the place clean and open. So, I am suggesting we do another Cleanup, Shoot and Bar B Q after the new year.

What do you folks say? Maybe we can raise some money for CGF while we're at it.

Also, I'm just throwing it out there , but some of the neighbors have complained about tannerite blasts. I guess the sound travel all the way down into the valley and back up by the entrance where there is a subdivision of homes.

UPDATE @
To those who posted that they can bring a trailer, can you confirm this. It turns out that we cannot use the Forest's account at the dump and will have to pay at the disposal site/dump. No big deal. Joe told me that it is pretty cheap. If we can get a large enough trailer I bet we could consolidate all the trash in one trip. Please bring a little cash to chip in for the fees and whatnot.
Everything is in the works to have a great cleanup. Can we get a head count of who all can make it? One member PM'd me and asked for the number of volunteers.
He wants to bring a grill and some hot dogs. I will pitch in and bring some stuff to grill as well. I am really looking forward to this. If anyone has any questions for me
you can post them here or message me. Thanks Again!!!!! BTW, let's shoot for a 10 am start. Of course anyone who wants to can get out there earlier.

UPDATE!!!! WE are confirmed for SAT June 11th

How does 9 am sound?
Long Story Short-

I want to help organize a range cleanup to help save the Designated Shooting Range at Boggs Mtn. This is a great resource for Norcal shooters(approx 100 mi. from the bay area). There is great camping, mountain biking, hiking and equestrian trails. It's places like these that we need to help save.

I met the Forest Aide on Saturday. He said the range is in danger of being shut down due to the usual. There is trash everywhere. People have shot trees down. A couple truck beds would make a huge difference and maybe we could have a Shoot n Q or Gear swap while we are at it.

I want to apologize to any locals who have been keeping this place under the radar but I feel that this could be one of those times when some grass roots advocacy by us Calgunners could be a win for everyone.

When I told the Forest Aide about Calguns and range cleanups his eyes lit up. He asked that we contact him and his boss for any updates as they want to keep the place open as well.

Contact Info:

Boggs Mountain Demo. State Forest dept. of Forestry and Fire Protection
P.O. Box 839
Cobb, Ca 95426
Phone 707 928 4378

Forest Manager Gerri Finn
Forest Aide Joe Matthews( this is the nice gentleman who started this for me and gave me this info)

P.S. I have only been there twice but I want to do my part to preserve spaces like these. If anybody wants to take the reigns on this project, that is great as I don't have a lot of time during the week to call people and organize. If no one steps up I will set a date in May when I and some friends will be up there and anybody is welcome to join in our shooting fun and some good cleanup.

Last edited by shooter777; 12-06-2011 at 1:22 PM.. Reason: Updates
Old 04-11-2011, 9:52 AM

I'm in to help. I've got a truck and I can wrestle up a few hand tools.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Send me a PM. But I am booked through 5/21. I can get a truck, rack, shovel,...you know, standard stuff.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 PM

Make a date after 5/1 and give me some time to put in for vacation...and my summer plans begin!
Old 04-12-2011, 2:26 PM
Calguns Addict

This is good outreach by the OP..... well done!!!!

Pick a date in May and I'll do my best to be there, pick up, tools, gloves, camera and all. I'm out of town on vacation 5/13 - 5/23, but otherwise I can make time on a weekend.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-13-2011, 9:10 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Bump for a good cause..I'm stuck on East Coast for awhile.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:44 AM

If I can get away, I will join in with my Ranger pick-up. Is there a county dump site near by? Also, it would probably help if I knew how to get there, LOL!
Old 04-14-2011, 7:52 PM

I've been wanting to get in on a clean up and meet some more Calgunners, let me know what comes up, Saturdays work best for me, no truck but can bring rakes and shovels and Manuel labor.
Old 04-14-2011, 8:03 PM
Im lurking here somewhere
CGN Contributor

I've been up there a couple of times it's not a real big range but is a nice resource to have in the area. I'll probably be down for a clean & shoot, keep us updated. the first week or two in May is best for me.
Old 04-21-2011, 5:04 PM

I'll try to join in as well, sent email to see if this group is still active:
Friends of Boggs Mountain

They were doing trail work, etc.
Old 04-21-2011, 7:33 PM

I used to shoot there all the time when i lived in middletown full time. Cant tell ya how many times we cleaned that range up only to go back and find more washing machines than a damn laundry mat. When you get a date, let me know, im sure my family would enjoy the visit.
Old 04-23-2011, 4:04 PM

Might be able to make it up there in May or June. No truck, just a couple hands. As other's have said, post a date
Old 04-23-2011, 5:17 PM

Additional information, possible help.

Thanks Larry!
Once we get our new website set up so we can schedule and post a cleanup of the shooting range I'll get back to you.
Meanwhile, Calfire Forest Aide Joe Matthews is giving shooters he comes across plastic bags for cleaning up their addition as well as some of the other debris there.
Seems to be helping somewhat.

Boone

friendsofboggsmountain@earthlink.net
Old 04-25-2011, 12:55 PM

Id be down for a shoot n que n clean. give me some advance notice. Prefer weekend. I should be able to coerce a few extra pair of hands and, maybe a pickup.
Old 04-25-2011, 6:43 PM

I'm in if it's organized in June
Old 04-25-2011, 7:51 PM
Probationary Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I might be able to join in on a weekend too, with a truck and tools. Let me know when you post a date and I'll see if I can make it. I've got a couple weekends booked but I'll certainly do what I can.
Old 04-25-2011, 9:51 PM

finally some other people to help out to keep the place clean . me and 3 other friends would spend 3 to 4 hr .every 3 weeks to clean bogs .i went to cow moutan the other day on a exploring trip and im happy to say that bogs have never been that bad . well i got another week on turkey hunting after that i can come up in my f150 to continue to help out .
Old 04-26-2011, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrizzly View Post
finally some other people to help out to keep the place clean . me and 3 other friends would spend 3 to 4 hr .every 3 weeks to clean bogs .i went to cow moutan the other day on a exploring trip and im happy to say that bogs have never been that bad . well i got another week on turkey hunting after that i can come up in my f150 to continue to help out .
Cow mountain has always been torn up, lotta kids party up there and just trash that area, kinda like boggs used to be....
Old 04-26-2011, 2:02 PM

I told a friend who took us out there a couple of years ago, he's willing to join a cleanup too. June or later would work best for us.
Old 04-30-2011, 5:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

Let's set a date!

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson.
"a system of licensing the right of
self-defense, which doesn’t recognize self-defense as “good cause”
Don Kilmer
Old 05-02-2011, 1:59 AM

Ok, Calgunners
I am going to set our range cleanup day(RCD) for Saturday May 21st. I will most likely drive up Friday and camp/shoot. I commit to bringing my truck and tools. I will be calling the aforementioned employees to notify them of our presence and intentions. I name-dropped Calguns initially and would like to continue to advocate our group in a conservation light. Mods, let me know if that is OK.

Guys and gals, I will be camping close to the entrance in one of the designated campsites(There are only two areas, and the first is right close to the entrance, maybe a mile). I forget the name of the camp area but there is a pit toilet.

I am excited. This will be fun. Let's bring BBQ stuff, plenty of water, trash bags and other necessities. I definitely plan on shooting. This isn't purely humanitarian. Let's have fun.

If anyone has access to extras like hard rakes or nail pups(for those steel cased shells), shovels, gloves and ......screw it, bring everything you think will help....

Whadaya think, huh?
Old 05-02-2011, 5:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Sadly I'll be in Alaska. I'll see if I can get a couple others from here in Sonoma County to head up.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 05-03-2011, 7:51 PM
CGN Contributor

Sounds like the one weekend I was hoping wouldn't get chosen.
Old 05-03-2011, 9:59 PM

Sounds like a great way to help out and meet some fellow Calgunners. I'll check my on schedule and get back to you. I've never been out there. How bad is it? Would a trailer help?
Old 05-03-2011, 10:24 PM

Does anyone know if there is a dump facility out that way? If there is, then maybe a trailer would be a good idea seeing as how we could use the one trailer and chip in on the fees. I will contact the folks I talked to that work there and see if they have any ideas for trash removal/disposal. I'll bring a wheelbarrow too.
The place has trash spread over a large area, not just concentrated in one area. For all those that can't make it, why don't we do it again in a couple months? Heck, i wish i could go out there weekly. My little crew hauled out about 5 large trash bags last time
Old 05-04-2011, 9:13 AM

I'd be interested in July/Aug cleanup, following thread
Old 05-04-2011, 12:15 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I used to go there regularly and bring a bucket and a lawn rake but haven't since the fall.

The wife has the Jeep, so no-go for me until she gets back, but I'm planning on going sometime next week, probably Thursday or Friday morning.

If I see one of the rangers (they often come by to check in), I'll do my best to reassure him that we'll be taking care of the place.

I feel ashamed that so many locals treat the place so poorly. I think we need to put a sign up instructing shooters they should pick up brass, shotshells, and stop bringing their ****ing TVs to shoot at. I've seen idiots bring their broken-down stereos and speakers to serve as targets. What a bunch of white trash dumbasses.

I'll try to find the time to work on a sign. I'm not going to ask permission to the rangers - it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I wish they would also put a trash can over there, that would make things easier.
Old 05-05-2011, 6:19 AM

I'll be on call that weekend. Really would like to help. Definetly interested if there's any plans for clean up the following month.
Old 05-05-2011, 8:47 PM

Great work guys! Boggs is a gem, and not just for the range. The state forest rangers are great and want the forest used by the public, but they are overworked and underfunded. Any help we can give would be great. I can't make it the 21st, but I pick stuff up out of Boggs everytime I go. BTW it's one of the best mountain biking places around, if you're into that.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:06 AM

RANGE CLEANUP UPDATE

I just got off the phone with the Forrest Aide, Joe Matthews. Again , he was excited and grateful for our interest in helping keep the place open. He informed me that May 21st is an extremely busy day for the forest. They host mtn. bike and equestrian events there as well. He told me that the NRA even has a class out there soon.

Anyway, he is proposing the date of Saturday June, 11. I want to put this out there because I know a lot of people are very busy this time of year. He also said that May 28th wouldn't be bad but that is Memorial Day weekend so that could be problematic.

As for trash disposal, there is a landfill 1/2 hr away in Clear Lake.
Let me know what you guys think?
Thanks
David
Old 05-06-2011, 3:49 PM

It's far for me, but I'd like to get involved in something like this. Maybe I can talk my shooting buddy into an over-nighter and we can head up. I have a truck and tools.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and my calendar open.
Old 05-06-2011, 6:38 PM
Calguns Addict

June 11 should work for me. Pencil me in.

Quote:
Old 05-06-2011, 6:52 PM
Veteran Member

Im in depending on the date. I can bring my diesel and I will try to find a trailer as well

PM me for electrical work
Old 05-06-2011, 7:56 PM
CGN Contributor

If the FS is proposing June 11th I say we go for that date since I should be available. May 21st probably not for me.

I don't have a truck but can bring garbage bags and my laboring hands, and of corse some toys.
Old 05-06-2011, 7:58 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1c View Post
I think we need to put a sign up instructing shooters they should pick up brass, shotshells, and stop bringing their ****ing TVs to shoot at.
You do know what will happen to said sign right?
Old 05-07-2011, 9:18 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotEnoughGuns View Post
You do know what will happen to said sign right?
Yeah, I know... Well, I'm glad some Calgunners got in touch with the FS guys. Maybe they will restore their faith in shooters. I'll still go there sometime next week to do some cleanup and shooting.
Old 05-09-2011, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

June 11 might be good for me. Too much driving these last couple of weeks,the missus and I were planning on staying home this weekend.. I sure could use some time to catch up around the house.

And I would be willing to contribute to dump fees if someone is running that stuff up to Clear Lake.
Old 05-17-2011, 3:14 PM

baring any complications my group that usually goes shooting up there will be joining for the clean up. Hopefully should be 5 people, 1 or 2 trucks.
Old 05-17-2011, 7:12 PM

Count me in for June 11th. I've been to Boggs - great resouces and fun place to shoot. I have a truck and know where he dump is located. Would like to me some fellow Calguners.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sadly I'll be at work unless I can do a shift trade.