Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 10-18-2012, 9:37 AM

Filed on 10-3-12 by the Feds. http://www.madison-society.org/pdfs/enos-v-holder.pdf
I have only skimmed but I am amazed that the Feds quote Skoien saying Ca has a restoration method and plaintiffs have failed to argue that 1023.4 doesn't restore their rights.
Old 10-18-2012, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Filed on 10-3-12 by the Feds. http://www.madison-society.org/pdfs/enos-v-holder.pdf
I have only skimmed but I am amazed that the Feds quote Skoien saying Ca has a restoration method and plaintiffs have failed to argue that 1023.4 doesn't restore their rights.
please recheck your date. that is trial court filing from 2011!

If civic virtu does not reside in the people - no constitution, no bill of rights, no legislative body and no court will be able to preserve our liberties.

Although I am a lawyer, NONE of my posts on this website are to be construed as legal advice. NONE!

P.S. I get the top bunk.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 AM

Holy cow I'm getting old. My apologies. Keep up the good work; and can you recommend some good reading glasses?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu View Post
Holy cow I'm getting old. My apologies. Keep up the good work; and can you recommend some good reading glasses?
http://www.pacificcoastsunglasses.co...z/products/11/
"I like to think there are three measures of a man: How much steak he can eat in one sitting, how full his mustache is and how quickly he can whittle a spear in the event of the apocalypse." - Ron Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ Kind
I believe if Jesus owned a sidearm he wouldn't have been crucified.
Old 10-24-2012, 5:15 PM

Default I dont like the evolution of this case!

Don K,

Why does the argument seem to keep changing and narrowing down in scope over this whole process. It seems it would evolve, which essentially it is, but not so much with an overall argument over the broad aspect of Constitutionality. Each new document is radically different from the next! It seems weak when the original claims are not included in the newest briefs; it is as if you're reaching for something to hold on to, as if the case is drowning.
IMO!
Old 12-02-2012, 9:19 AM

Are there any further updates to this case?
Old 12-03-2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ASupporter View Post
Are there any further updates to this case?
My guess is that it is going to be at least a few more months before a court date is even set on the calender.
Old 12-07-2012, 8:14 PM

Why is it taking so long to set a date?
Old 12-11-2012, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Why is it taking so long to set a date?
It seems like this is a typical timeline for an appeal case. At this point, nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 12-11-2012, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreiter View Post
Had a ex i was still seeing while she had another guy. He got pissed. She lied and said i was stalking her. He told her to get a R.O.

She goes to file, clerk TELLS HER write down he hit you! She said he didn't. CLERK SAYS write it anyway, its easier to win that way.

I go to court with all kinds of proof, like her love letters to me during the time i'm supposedly stalking her, friends who saw her come over to my house, etc.

Didnt matter. FEMALE judge grants RO

I think you're bending the truth with this one.
Old 12-12-2012, 9:11 PM

Firearm restrictions on RO's is entirely different issue as well. I am not saying it is right when they are giving them out so easily, but he can stay the hell away from her and when the RO expires he gets his guns back. A lifetime ban over a misdemeanor that is over 10 years old that has been dismissed by the court is an entirely different degree of unfairness. Especialy when you consider the fact that if someone is convicted of a felony DV charge, for something truely violent, that they are able to restore their rights. Yet, someone who grabs the keys out of their spouses hands gets banned for life.
Old 12-15-2012, 6:08 PM

First, my condolences to the victims of recent shootings. Now there is an outcry for strict gun control in light of the shootings. So far I haven't heard anyone point out that the shooter in the Connecticut shooting was only 20 years old and not even eligible to own a gun legally in Connecticut. It appears that people are attacking things like mental health and not looking into how he got his hands on the guns in the first place. Petitions have been filed for more strict gun policies and regulations but it is one thing to try to implement gun control and another thing to try to gauge how likely a person is to allow the gun that he/she purchases to end up in the hands of someone who is mentally ill or not even able to legally purchase a gun (child endangerment). The likely outcome of all of this is that there may be more gun control which may make it harder for many 2nd amendment cases that are currently being litigated to have judgements in favor of the 2nd amendment.
Old 12-28-2012, 5:17 PM

Fisher v. Kealoha which is currently being litigated in the 9th Circuit as well is a similar case to Enos v. Holder that involves intepretation of the Lautenberg Amendment (harassment as opposed to an actual act of physical violence). The arguments in the case seems to be very similar to Don Kilmer's argument in Enos v. Holder.
Old 01-20-2013, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Can someone clarify this for me?
I ran into someone I know in a local gun store buying a shotgun the other day. He was convicted of FELONY DV in 2000 or 2001 during a messy divorce and child custody battle.

I asked him how he was able to purchase a firearm and he told me he had had his original DV charge "expunged" ( 17(b) and 1203.4 ) right after he completed his probation and since it was over 10 years he can now buy guns again.

????....Am I missing something? Is the Lautenberg Amendment strictly for misdemeanor DV...meaning it is BETTER to get a felony DV because you can restore your gun rights via 17(b) and 1203.4, or did he maybe get convicted of some other type of felony wobbler and only thinks it was a DV conviction?

Thanks

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:31 AM

If it was classified as a DV relationship, he should not be able to, even if he was allowed to plea down to a misdemeanor; especially with Title 18 in force by the states that chose to enforce federal laws. However, there seems to be something missing in your info. that would help clarify the technicalities of these ambiguous and unconstitutional laws, specifically in this individual question.
Also they are different codes and 17b is not a subsection of 1203.4.
1203.4 is for misdemeanors.
17b is for felonies that will be reduced to a misdemeanor.
If the Felony conviction had DV elements, possibly it was dropped to a misdemeanor that is not subject to DV restrictions. For example it could be reduced to a PC section not associated with DV, yet still a misdemeanor.
From what I gather, You would first follow the PC 17b guidelines and then see if you are still restricted by the plea and need to use 1203.4.
1203.4 specifically states that its relief does not reinstate the right to own or possess a firearm. So, basically the answer to your question is, YES. A blatant attack on misdemeanors. One person at a time restriction is so easy to enforce, it specifically was more intended to disarm blacks; those with high crime rates, etc.
This explains why the ENOS V HOLDER case has gone so far; and IMO will end up at the Supreme Court; because no other justices in any court will rule on the CONSTITUTIONALITY of this law that passed so UN-democraticlly in 1994-1996 by Senator Lautenberg and the whole complacent US Senate, US President, and especially the US House that allowed their bull to be amended in the Senate and not sent back to the House with MULTIPLE AMENDMENTS such as the Title 18 inclusion.
I'm getting fired up......

Maybe we can pass a law to upgrade MCDV to Felonies then 17b it so we can restore this right to own a firearm!

Last edited by mobileglass; 01-20-2013 at 12:30 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileglass View Post
If it was classified as a DV relationship, he should not be able to, even if he was allowed to plea down to a misdemeanor; especially with Title 18 in force by the states that chose to enforce federal laws. However, there seems to be something missing in your info. that would help clarify the technicalities of these ambiguous and unconstitutional laws, specifically in this individual question.
Also they are different codes and 17b is not a subsection of 1203.4.
1203.4 is for misdemeanors.
17b is for felonies that will be reduced to a misdemeanor.
If the Felony conviction had DV elements, possibly it was dropped to a misdemeanor that is not subject to DV restrictions. For example it could be reduced to a PC section not associated with DV, yet still a misdemeanor.
From what I gather, You would first follow the PC 17b guidelines and then see if you are still restricted by the plea and need to use 1203.4.
1203.4 specifically states that its relief does not reinstate the right to own or possess a firearm. So, basically the answer to your question is, YES. A blatant attack on misdemeanors. One person at a time restriction is so easy to enforce, it specifically was more intended to disarm blacks; those with high crime rates, etc.
This explains why the ENOS V HOLDER case has gone so far; and IMO will end up at the Supreme Court; because no other justices in any court will rule on the CONSTITUTIONALITY of this law that passed so UN-democraticlly in 1994-1996 by Senator Lautenberg and the whole complacent US Senate, US President, and especially the US House that allowed their bull to be amended in the Senate and not sent back to the House with MULTIPLE AMENDMENTS such as the Title 18 inclusion.
I'm getting fired up......

Maybe we can pass a law to upgrade MCDV to Felonies then 17b it so we can restore this right to own a firearm!
QFT.

This issue needs to be fixed. Look for misdemeanor lifetime bans to be secretly snuck into "must pass" bills in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Don Kilmer will be speaking in San Jose this Thursday.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post10353319

Quote:
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post
This issue needs to be fixed. Look for misdemeanor lifetime bans to be secretly snuck into "must pass" bills in the near future.
You think they're going to make misdemeanors, generally, be disqualifying acts?
Old 01-29-2013, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by getlost View Post
Was reading up on expungements and found it interesting that New Jersey allows for expungement of misdemeanor DV convictions to restore 2nd A rights.
Do you have a link?

Quote:
Old 01-29-2013, 5:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Why wouldn't they try?

Quote:
Old 01-30-2013, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Do you have a link?
I stand corrected anthonyca.

The federal law still applies even if expunged.
Old 01-30-2013, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Why wouldn't they try?
I didn't think them to be that crazy, but yes, you're right they could indeed try.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getlost View Post
I stand corrected anthonyca.

The federal law still applies even if expunged.

If State law says your rights are returned then Title 18 can not and does not apply. That is how they are interpreting it as of @04. Interesting that Congress says nothing about how their laws are interpreted.
If you posted something false you should remove it!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If State law says your rights are returned then Title 18 can not and does not apply. That is how they are interpreting it as of @04. Interesting that Congress says nothing about how their laws are interpreted.
If you posted something false you should remove it!
That is precisely the argument in Enos. California returned 2nd amendment rights and the feds are saying FU. I went to hear Don Kilmer speak tonight and he brought up that fact.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2013, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Do you have a link?
Read this one carefully, from Tennessee, if you haven't read it already!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tennessee DV.pdf (94.7 KB, 65 views)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad View Post
Read this one carefully, from Tennessee, if you haven't read it already!
Maybee I missed it, I am really tired. How does that pertain to Fed law?

Quote:
Old 02-09-2013, 1:54 AM

Quote:
They would make parking tickets disqualifying acts if they could.
Old 02-09-2013, 8:42 AM

Looking around the Internet and it seems this topic has lost it's steam. Looks like all cards are being played in the Enos vs Holder case.
Old 02-09-2013, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarlson270 View Post
Looking around the Internet and it seems this topic has lost it's steam. Looks like all cards are being played in the Enos vs Holder case.
This is the best case so far and it is being litigated by one of the best second amendment lawyers in the country. If you are interested, please donate to the Madison Society Foundation.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2013, 2:23 PM

I would like to know how the guy with the DV buying the shotgun was able to buy his firearm. What did he file so he can do that?
Old 02-09-2013, 6:40 PM

Quote:

Because it seems Tennessee is not allowing Title 18 to be enforced in that state!
Old 02-10-2013, 1:12 PM

Quote:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/misd...fore-judgement

I do not have extra money to attempt a gun purchase! I'm not going to buy "any gun", just to see if I can get a gun or not! $400.00 saved, but I have about $600.00 to go!

Plus I sent off for my record(rap sheet), I think it was $18.00 to get it! It states "dismissed"!

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks

Last edited by dad; 02-11-2013 at 5:32 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 8:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I didn't think them to be that crazy, but yes, you're right they could indeed try.
After that they will make too many traffic tickets a lifetime disqualification.
Old 02-11-2013, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Because it seems Tennessee is not allowing Title 18 to be enforced in that state!
Then how does Tennessee handle the 4473 form?
Old 02-11-2013, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Then how does Tennessee handle the 4473 form?
It's the same nation wide! Read my posts thru out this thread!!>>>I mistakingly put the same links in post #632, read the "top link"!

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Last edited by dad; 02-11-2013 at 5:38 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 5:40 PM

This is for the domestic violence misdemeanor ban to be reversed correct?

I had a buddy get his felony down to a misdemeanor during his early termination for probation; the felony charge was a wobbler, but the charge was also not a domestic violence charge. A month later the DOJ approved his dros and was a legal gun owner again.
Old 02-12-2013, 5:03 PM

Does anyone know what can be done so far? I've read two different issues of dv where a guy can still buy firearms in Ca.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Does anyone know what can be done so far? I've read two different issues of dv where a guy can still buy firearms in Ca.
What are these instances?

Quote:
Old 03-05-2013, 4:45 PM

Ive read BigBamBoo and one other on a person can still buy firearms after a dv charge.
Old 03-25-2013, 5:53 PM

Does anyone have an answer to my question?