Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:19 PM

Default Guard or Reserve?

Did six years in the Air Force as Security Forces(MP) and did a couple of deployments, got my Honorable discharge August 2010, and just when through an IRR muster this past weekend and now I want to go into either the Guard or Reserve. I start college this September. What do ya'll recommend?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Since you will be attending college I encourage you to compare Guard/Reserve education benefits as they differ.

Also depends on if you want to serve under Obama or Brown (so to speak) lol
Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 AM

What MOS are you looking at? Do you want to deploy?

Be advised that the Army just announced a new policy requiring prior-service enlistees to attend BCT unless they have been through Army or Marine basic. I believe USAF security force training is an exception to this, but you should check before taking your oath.
Old 04-06-2011, 5:29 AM

I would also consider the air national guard if a unit is near you.
Old 04-06-2011, 8:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedflava View Post
I would also consider the air national guard if a unit is near you.
This

If no unit is close to you go for the Guard. I like the Guard because I am able to serve not just my country when called, but also my state and community.

Plus, the history and lineage of the Guard. We are the direct descendants in arms of the men who left their homes and families, took up arms, and fought a fierce rebellion to birth this country through blood.
My gut is good for two things, making poo and spotting crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Do not get your legal advice from Forest Rangers or Sheriffs: that's like getting medical advice from your plumber.
Old 04-06-2011, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

No combat arms in the reserves.

Just sayin......
Old 04-06-2011, 1:30 PM

I would go for Reserves personally... Federally run as opposed to state run with the guard. Also, what it will make much easier for you, is if at any point you decide to go active, the transition will be much, much easier.

I am a guardian of freedom
and the American way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _4_ View Post
It is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege.
Old 04-06-2011, 6:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Director View Post

Just sayin......
there is one Combat Engineer company in Hawaii. but that was a stupid mistake the Army did. the Combat and Combat Service Support should have been split instead of what we have today.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 04-06-2011, 8:10 PM

theres a SF reserve unit at March ARB. however, the BS level at the base is pretty freakin high (disclaimer, im a mechanic there, not a cop, but they all tell me they have to deal with the same bs.).... i can get you in touch with the right people if your interested....

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."
-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall."
— Adolf Hitler, Edict of 18 March 1939
Old 04-06-2011, 9:27 PM

IS the BS level as high as Active Duty? Like in Osan? lol
Old 04-07-2011, 5:50 AM

we currently have an active duty associate unit working with us, and they seem to be amazed at the level of bull that the supervision creates. but again, it may be slightly different in the cop shop, but from what ive heard its not. maybe its not more bull.... just a different kind of bull......

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."
-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

"The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall."
— Adolf Hitler, Edict of 18 March 1939
Old 04-15-2011, 1:05 AM

Quote:

Just sayin......
lol you wer stuck with sh*tty equipment also??

anyhoo i kno theres air guard of of pch pont magu or point hunume. around that area.

the only bummer with guard is that its state funded, guarding cali is cool but cali is broke! lol.
Old 04-16-2011, 2:42 PM

Do you want to wear California over your chest or USAF? Title 10 Obama vs. Title 32 Brown?
Old 04-17-2011, 11:00 AM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Just sayin......
Say what? The 940th Security Forces at Beale AFB has CATM instructors and they are an active reserve unit.

To the OP. I spent 12 years on active duty then jumped to the Reserves for 12 years. Mainly because there were no guard units in my area at the time. Staying federal allowed me to eventually ease into an IMA positition at Hickam while living in Cali. I'm not sure how easy it is to go from state to federal, however I do know there are more reserve slots on the federal side. Seeing what units are in your area in your career field regardless of whether they are Reserve or Guard should be your first priority. You want to be the primary in your slot, not an overage. Go see both a Reserve and a Guard recruiter and ask specifically about open slots in the SF career field, or what retraining oppourtunities there are in crirical career fields.

As far as the level of BS goes, it is pretty much the same within the entire Air Force, active duty or otherwise. The days of hanging out for two days a month, and fifteen days a year, are long gone. All that changed with the wars. Basically, you are trying to cram 30 days worth of work into two days. Annual tours vary depending on your unit. I was a cyber ops cat in a Red Horse squadron when I was in a traditional unit, and we spent our annual tours all over the world. When I went IMA, I did all my reserve time in Hawaii but I was assigned to an active duty unit so I was busting my *** why I was there. However the scenery was nice.

Last edited by epilepticninja; 04-17-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Old 06-22-2011, 8:14 PM

There is some seriously ignorant statements about the guard and guard vs reserves vs active here. As bad as any FUD I've ever heard.

Edit: not referring to Tyler's post.

Last edited by surflvr911sc; 06-22-2011 at 8:17 PM..
Old 06-23-2011, 5:00 PM

Assuming you are interested in the Air National Guard or USAF Reserves, a big question is would you rather drive to Riverside or Oxnard every month? Do you want to be around KC-135 Tankers or C-130J Transports?

In some ways the Air Guard (don't know about reserves) has more BS. There are only so many slots for rank at any AFSC/base. Similar to the way a civilian job works, someone has to die or get promoted for you to get maybe get their spot. Some slug E-5 with 20+ is going to get put in the next E-6 spot before you. Also moving up in skill level is a pain when you "work" 2 days out of 30 and try to absorb a minimal amount of hands-on.

Last edited by Tom Slick; 06-23-2011 at 5:02 PM..
Old 06-24-2011, 5:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Pros and cons. With guard you have to wait for a slot to open to get promoted. You do get state missions like the border mission or katrina type situations as well as get deployed.

With reserves you get deployed but no state missions, better promotions and have federal monies for newer and nicer gear.

there is a security forces unit in march AFB air guard. One of my supervisors is a master sargent there and she is cool as ****.
Old 06-24-2011, 8:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max008 View Post
Do you want to wear California over your chest or USAF? Title 10 Obama vs. Title 32 Brown?
Do you even know what you are talking about? I'm in the Air Guard and wear USAF over my chest. I have the ability to go Title 10 as well as Title 32. Reserves do not get that option. I suggest you do some research before you try and talk about a subject you obviously don't know about.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max008 View Post
wow you do NOT know what you're talking about. The California patches are the state military reserve forces. Capo is one and he can chime in. They help the Guard process paperwork and help run ranges and equipment for extra manning when the Guard is in pre-Mobilization. Also, Obama can order title 32 and deploy Guard to keep federal troops from walking on our soil like he did with the border mission.
Old 12-07-2013, 9:07 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Reserves! More money and better training.
Old 12-08-2013, 4:10 AM
Veteran Member

Guard, Reserves. Still look like a Greyhound Bus driver.
Old 12-09-2013, 1:12 AM

Quote:

Just sayin......
Actually thats not true. I went to BCT and Infantry School a while back with a guy from hawaii, he was the only Army Reserve there and everyone and the D.I.'s were stumped. They were like you mean Guard right, no DS Army Reserve...they were like your crazy pvt. Sure enough come close to graduation there were liaisons for guard and army reserves there and the question was brought up. And sure enough after a lil history schooling the only 11b and 11c Army Reserve unit is in Hawaii.
Old 12-09-2013, 8:56 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
Guard, Reserves. Still look like a Greyhound Bus driver.
The Air Force got rid of the bus driver hats days ago. Now, I see an assload of marines wearing them every Friday. They look quite spiffy.