Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 11-06-2006, 2:05 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Recommend some boots...

So, I'm going to be travelling somewhere (for fun) where it rains a lot - UK. Problem is, I don't currently own any footwear that is waterproof, and I think I'll be needing this. I currently don't own any boots of any kind.

I like the Oakley boots, but I don't think they are all weather. Too bad.

I also want my selection to be good for both outdoor hiking, outdoor ranges, and have a slight tactical appeal to it as well.

Any suggestions? Links appreciated. I'm spending time on www.rei.com right now looking around.

Turby
Old 11-06-2006, 2:15 PM
Veteran Member

When I think of boots, 3 informal categories come to mind:

(1) Work Boots
(2) Service Boots
(3) Hiking Boots

Only have experience with one type so here goes:

Hiking Boots - If you hang around REI much, chances are you've heard of Goretex, Vibram Rubber, and Silicone Impregnated Leather. All good stuff. There are plenty of reviews in backpacking/hiking mags, but take them with a grain (or two) of salt as you would with any trade mag. Basically, familiarize yourself with the tech talk (materials, designs, etc.) then go to REI and find a pair that fit you well. I've had a good experience with Montrail (but they're kind of pricey - think 130 mile backpack @ $1.10/per mile - and I have smallish feet). I look for solid construction, good outsole, surface (not just a goretex barrier) waterproofing and a tongue/insole that doesn't chafe when laced up firmly.

People generally quarrel because they cannot argue -- G.K. Chesterton

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties -- James Madison
Old 11-06-2006, 2:26 PM
Veteran Member

Oakley makes boots? That to me is like buying a Smith & Wesson knife.

If you're looking for a good pair of waterproof "outdoor" shoes, I recommend a pair of midheight Montrails with Gore-Tex. I'll vouch for Montrails but for some reason REI has drastically reduced their inventory of them. That coicidentally happened when REI started stocking their own brand of shoes which looks like they may be manufactured by Merrell. I've witnessed a pair of Merrells falling apart under normal use conditions and causing blisters and discomfort. This last point could of course be caused by individual factors. Whatever you get, make sure it has Gore-Tex even though that'll probably put you in the $125+ range. I prefer the midheights both for additional ankle support (sole stiffness is a greater factor affecting this) and also helps to keep the brush, dirt, and rocks out. The added height w/ Gore-Tex will let you step onto rocks which are submerged so you open up your options for water crossings. The shoe should be versatile enough for all around use, so don't get the high tops which will just add weight and bulk unless you're carring a heavy load on your back. Outdoor shoes are generally brown.. so don't know what to tell you about "tactical" appeal.

Hope it helps. And don't hesitate to buy from REI. Even though they cost a bit more, you can return ANYTHING to them no questions asked. You'll be taken care of. Plus they usually have this rock in the store so you can test out the shoes. You'll probably have to buy a shoe thats +1 your regular size so your toe isn't slamming into the front of the shoe during the downhills.
Old 11-06-2006, 2:42 PM
Super Moderator

Guys, thanks for the quick replies. REI is definitely one place I think I'll go to check these out.

The $125+ range is ok - I'm prepared to dish out that amount for boots. If it gets over $200, I think I'll scale it back a bit.

Keep 'em coming - I think I'll be going tonight to REI.

Turby
Old 11-06-2006, 2:43 PM

I went backpacking this summer, slogged through mud, streams, etc, and my feet never got wet or really that sweaty with a good pair of North Face Gore-Tex XCR. They fulfill all your requirements except the slight "tacticool" look, and they were fairly cheap when I bought them; $70 on sale.

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/...=NA&model=AC62

Kimber Tactical Custom II
Browning Semi-Auto .22 Rifle
Benelli Supernova
Old 11-06-2006, 2:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKatMatt
I went backpacking this summer, slogged through mud, streams, etc, and my feet never got wet or really that sweaty with a good pair of North Face Gore-Tex XCR. They fulfill all your requirements except the slight "tacticool" look, and they were fairly cheap when I bought them; $70 on sale.
Neat, but these look like shoes? Granted, they performed as above, but I'd really enjoy a boot-like appearance.

Turby
Old 11-06-2006, 3:11 PM
Veteran Member

If water rather than irregular terrain is a primary consideration, Danner 'Stinger' or 'Striker' Goretex might fit the tactical bill. In fact, if you don't mind slip-ons, these ones look like a casual, fairly-low profile, waterproof boot.

Click Here

They look like boots and are black with a oddly textured outsole, so they must be tactic00l

It is proper to take alarm at the first experiment on our liberties -- James Madison
Old 11-06-2006, 3:52 PM
Veteran Member

I have a pair of Meindl Arctic, pretty much the same as http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...indl&noImage=0

The best boots I've ever owned, but on the pricey side at $269 (which is still less than what I paid in Europe)
Have had them for five years or so and practically lived in them when I went hunting and hiking back home.
Might be a bit warm on a hot and sunny CA day, but for hiking/hunting around the Sierras in rain, snow and mud they really shine and they will definitely keep you warm in the UK
Old 11-06-2006, 4:43 PM
Dont Tread on Me

Just don't wear sneakers with white socks unless you want to be tagged as an American:-)

Where you going in the England? It is a fun country to visit.
Old 11-06-2006, 4:47 PM
Veteran Member

White socks? Who wears white socks? We be pimpin'

Old 11-06-2006, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_brit_05
Just don't wear sneakers with white socks unless you want to be tagged as an American:-)

Where you going in the England? It is a fun country to visit.
The clubbing scene in London is excellent and there are also lots of other things to do than getting drunk and chasing women (or so I've been told )

The UK is definitely a fun country, as long as you don't have to live there
Old 11-06-2006, 5:09 PM

+1 for Montrail. Ive had a pair for 3 years now. They are excellent. I did pay well over $100.00 for them. $160 rings a bell for some reason.

EDIT to add: yup, right on the nose. Worth every penny though. http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...34374302875386

$165 @ REI -- http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...P_FOOTWEAR_TOC

Last edited by anotherted; 11-06-2006 at 5:19 PM..
Old 11-06-2006, 5:17 PM
Veteran Member

Wow, I guess a lot of us like Montrail

Old 11-06-2006, 5:23 PM

I just read the comment about merell shoes. I have to disagree. Ive had a pair of these as my regular walk around shoes for around 3 years now and they are flat out awesome. Ill never buy another brand of shoes again.
Old 11-06-2006, 6:17 PM

Thumbs up

danner gortex boots are good
Old 11-06-2006, 6:59 PM
Part time Emperor

Blundstone boots. They have waterproof models that will keep your feet dry. They are tough & good looking enough for the Aussie outback or London city life.

Had my 510 model for about 3 years now & still kicking strong.

Or get a pair of Clarks boots. Made in England & comfy to boot.

Last edited by WokMaster1; 11-06-2006 at 7:09 PM..
Old 11-15-2006, 8:36 AM
Janitors assistant

I have a Timberland outlet near my work, I have gotten into the habit of buying their products. They are super comfortable, and good looking.