Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-02-2011, 6:04 PM
CGN Contributor

Default reloading data .44 mag x-treme platted

Hi guys I am just starting to reload, well I get my press on tuesday I started with the Lee classic breech lock kit since the price was right. I purchased some powder, bullets and primers from discount shooter supply in Roseville and wanted to see if anyone had some reliable data for the 240gr E-xtreme bullets plated flat point .44 mag. I planned on starting with hodgdons data for a 240gr NOS JHP for 22.5 grains of lil gun even though they aren't JHP bullets will this matter.

I need to get some different powder for my .38 specials so if anyone has any data to help that would be nice.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-02-2011, 6:35 PM

Copper plated bullets should use cast lead loading spec's, not jacketed hollow point specs. If you push'em too fast, you'll rip the copper plating right off of them.
Old 04-02-2011, 6:44 PM
CGN Contributor

Now I am new at this but why can a jacked hollow point go faster than a plated bullet. Wouldn't the integrity of the platted bullet be stronger since it doesn't have a hole in the center, or am I missing something, does platting mean a thin metal platting and jacketed means a thicker metal jacket?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2011, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofcomment View Post
Now I am new at this but why can a jacked hollow point go faster than a plated bullet. Wouldn't the integrity of the platted bullet be stronger since it doesn't have a hole in the center, or am I missing something, does platting mean a thin metal platting and jacketed means a thicker metal jacket?

Thanks
The short answers is it all depends on the bullet. If a bullet has a harder thicker plating, then it might stand up to anything the average jacketed bullet might. On the other hand, if it is a soft plating (like Berry's bullets for instance), you definitely will do better using loads that are closer to softer lead bullet specs.

In the end, run your loads lighter and it will save money, wear and tear on your gun and hands; you will also like the results on the targets (unless you are knocking over heavy steel things but then with 240gr slugs, it will have to be a pretty heavy thingy not to fall over when you bang it.)

On the .38's, again it depends on what you are doing with them. I have found 148gr lead double bevel wadcutters over about 2.8grs of Bullseye make for an inexpensive and accurate .38 round.

Last edited by Bill Steele; 04-02-2011 at 8:22 PM..
Old 04-02-2011, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofcomment View Post
Hi guys I am just starting to reload, well I get my press on tuesday I started with the Lee classic breech lock kit since the price was right. I purchased some powder, bullets and primers from discount shooter supply in Roseville and wanted to see if anyone had some reliable data for the 240gr E-xtreme bullets plated flat point .44 mag. I planned on starting with hodgdons data for a 240gr NOS JHP for 22.5 grains of lil gun even though they aren't JHP bullets will this matter.

I need to get some different powder for my .38 specials so if anyone has any data to help that would be nice.

Thanks for the help
A few rules of thumb for reloaders:
Buy at least three different reloading manuals and read them cover to cover then reread them.
Remember you are dealing with things that just love to go boom and if your not careful that boom can be real painful in many ways.
Go slow, check everything three to four times. Reloading is all about the details.
Your powder scale is your best friend! Know how to use it!

XL-650 to feed the .45ACP's Les Baer, SA TRP Full Rail Operator, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman and a custom built Colt M1911. 9MM SA Range Officer and a Ruger P-85
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 04-02-2011, 9:33 PM
CGN Contributor

Bill I have been doing research for the past few hours and it seems that the x-treme/west coast plated bullets can handle the velocity and some think it requires the velocity since the plating is thicker you might end up with a stuck bullet.

Chief I purchased the lymans 49th manual and will be buying the speer no. 14 as I am pretty disappointed with some of the data in the lyman book they really dont seem to cover much.

So I will be buying some different powder since I purchased hodgdon lil gun. I will most likely buy alliant unique and load lymans recommended starting for JHP of 10.5gr which puts the bullet at about 900 fps.

do you think it would be safe to under load hodgdons recommended 22.5gr for a JHP to about 19gr which is their recommended for a 270gr JHP or is loading off the fly like that an unsafe practice?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Default Downloading is generally safe, I too had to learn.

I have downloaded just about every powder there is a load for in .44 RM. There are a few that I think avoiding downloading is probably wise (H110, 2400, AA#7), but powders like AA#9, Unique, W231 and VV-3N37 can be downloaded with excellent results.

One of my favorite loads for target shooting my .44 is 9.0 grains of VV-3N37 under a 240gr bullet, seated to 1.6". Another is 8.1 grains of W231 (same bullet). For Unique, I have found 8.0 gr works pretty well for a 240gr bullet. All of the above are relatively mild recoiling and very accurate in my Model 29 using 240gr Missouri Bullet Company LSWC's. Pretty sure they will work for your plated bullets, but double check to be sure.

I think the reason everyone ends up with 8 books is because they each have their strengths and weaknesses. I have found the Lee 2nd edition to have many loads other books don't cover, but also find many loads that are so far off it is laughable. More books are a good thing, they all have a few tidbits that will prove helpful as the years roll on.

Have fun, go slow and when in doubt, go light.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Xtreme rates their bullets to 1550 FPS. I shoot very hot 44 240's using Xtreme bullets and have had no separation issues. YMMV.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:06 AM

I would love to hear some recipes for this load? I have many hand gun calibers and am loading many of the xtreme bullets asap. Especially for my 44 mag!
Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

I feed my Deagle on a regular basis.

It is simply:

240GR Plated Xtreme FNRP
22.5-24.8gr H-110
COAL 1.600
LP= Tula
-OR-
LPM = Tula
I do not think that I have had any issues except making folks drop mud on both sides of me at the indoor range...

I also used lilgun once- NEVER again if I can help that.

There are really only a handful of powders that are suited for this load:
H-110 (best)
Blue Dot (nice)
2400 (ok)
300-MP (nice)
AAC #7 (okay)
AAC #9 (everyone likes this)

I have loaded with all of the above except AAC #9 but I have it.
Depending on what powder you load the bird will throw your shells all over.
Blue dot gives me a nice 8' path behind me to my right where H-110 gives me brass at my feet or slightly ahead of me. 300-mp might have tossed the brass straight back. Blue Dot is unpredictable, cept the brass will go behind me and to the right somewhat USUALLY.

:\

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 02-27-2014, 6:38 AM

Go with Bill Steele's advice. He's usually spot on with reputable and safe opinions.
Old 02-27-2014, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Call Xtreme and ask them.

They will recommend using data straight from the Speer #14 manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 AM

Default 44 Magnum Loads

Try Power Bond Bullets, they are plated but you can load them to jacketed specs. I load 44 mag 240gr Hornady xtp/hp and Power Bond 240gr FP using H110
23.0gr. Both shoot the same, but the Power Bond bullets are half the price.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:15 AM

this is a load that we call the "family load" mainly because it has shot great in every handgun we have tried it in.

Sierra 240gr JHC or Nosler 240Gr JHP
23.5 Grs of H-110
Win LPP primer
Heavy crimp.

The Sierra and nosler bullets are almost identical except for the nose of the bullet.
Old 02-28-2014, 8:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357magnum View Post
Try Power Bond Bullets, they are plated but you can load them to jacketed specs. I load 44 mag 240gr Hornady xtp/hp and Power Bond 240gr FP using H110
23.0gr. Both shoot the same, but the Power Bond bullets are half the price.
Powerbond IS nice, but for some reason I am not certain, I just feel, well, DIRTY for using their bullets. Or maybe it was because I loaded up 1k of them HP 240gr for plinking rounds...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire
Old 03-02-2014, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
I feed my Deagle on a regular basis.

It is simply:

240GR Plated Xtreme FNRP
22.5-24.8gr H-110
COAL 1.600
LP= Tula
-OR-
LPM = Tula
I do not think that I have had any issues except making folks drop mud on both sides of me at the indoor range...

I also used lilgun once- NEVER again if I can help that.

There are really only a handful of powders that are suited for this load:
H-110 (best)
Blue Dot (nice)
2400 (ok)
300-MP (nice)
AAC #7 (okay)
AAC #9 (everyone likes this)

I have loaded with all of the above except AAC #9 but I have it.
Depending on what powder you load the bird will throw your shells all over.
Blue dot gives me a nice 8' path behind me to my right where H-110 gives me brass at my feet or slightly ahead of me. 300-mp might have tossed the brass straight back. Blue Dot is unpredictable, cept the brass will go behind me and to the right somewhat USUALLY.

:\
Appreciate the data. I will spend some time loading some with the blue dot, some with unique, and some with h110. I am using my super redhawk. So far i have loaded the last 500 rounds shot of it with excellent results.