Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-02-2011, 3:49 PM
CGN Contributor

Default First AR build DONE!! Along with first color fill

Well..... It's done!!! ( waiting on my optic....but i couldn't resist )

Through a lot of research , trial and error, returns , swaps and trades.....VOILA!!

info :

Upper:
BCM 16" mid length upper
BCM BCG
YHM Diamond Free Float quad handrail Mid Length
CMG rail covers
magpul mbus sights
( soon to be la leatherwood cmr )
Magpul RVG
Lower:
LMT defender 2000 Lower ( complete )
LMT 2 stage trigger ( not sure if they machine this, but i would think so )
Sopmod buttstock
Ergo Grip
Mapgpul ASAP mount

Last night i painted the engravings in my lower....with varying success .I used testors like many other people. A couple areas were very narrow and had a hard time retaining the paint . I'll be redoing the red with a more RED color...this one was weak.

Any suggestions on decent ambi selectors? I'm leaning towads the LMT just to keep it in the family.
Attachment 92512
Attachment 92513
Attachment 92514
Attachment 92515

Last edited by protoolsnerd; 10-11-2011 at 6:35 PM..
Old 04-02-2011, 3:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Besides the rail covers, your build is a beauty! Especially digging the complete LMT lower.
Old 04-02-2011, 4:00 PM
CGN Contributor

Thanks evidens83 .... i had tried the magpul rail covers.... and these were hanging out at a local shop.... 4 for 18 bucks i think.... i figured why not. And for me, they are perfect. Not the best looking , but they're thicker and a little more substantial when gripping. Felt way better in my hand then the magpuls

What would you go with ?

LMT is the way to go for lowers. If you take into account the buttstock alone is 200 without the assembly. 2 stage trigger is 150......end up getting the lower for around 100. Quality stuff . I couldn't be happier .

I did find that a rubber washer around the front takedown pillar reduces any wiggle between upper and lower....**** is like a rock now

Last edited by protoolsnerd; 04-02-2011 at 4:06 PM..
Old 04-02-2011, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidens83 View Post
Besides the rail covers, your build is a beauty! Especially digging the complete LMT lower.
Totally agree. I personally like the Magpul rail covers or the ladder rail covers. But Congrats on the build!
Old 04-02-2011, 5:47 PM

Nice build!. haha yea seems like a few people are going to question the rail covers...

What kind of optic were you planning on getting?

i always wanted to do a complete LMT...

Old 04-02-2011, 6:08 PM
CGN Contributor

Yeah , the pics don't do them justice.....it's the feel that really is good. If anyone is going to be at angeles this week i'll be sighting it in. I dare someone not to think it feels great in the hand....

The optic i have en route is a Leatherwood CMR....it's a 1-4 scope with an etched reticle that offers a light up reticle for low light situations . I'm hoping that i'll be able to use it both eyes open for cqb and then the 4x for slightly longer distance. I'm thinking about getting one of the vortex sparks for carbine classes so i can punish it and not feel bad.

we'll see, hopefully this scope rocks. I've seen quite a few reviews and they are all quite favorable
Old 04-02-2011, 6:17 PM

I don't doubt its great but... those rail covers hehe
Old 04-02-2011, 6:25 PM
CGN Contributor

THE BAIN OF MY EXISTENCE !!!!! fook me im going to have to take a more flattering pic of it now won't I?
Old 04-02-2011, 6:40 PM
CGN Contributor

photo-8.jpg

photo-7.JPG

c'monnnnn not SO bad
Old 04-02-2011, 6:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Personally, I went with Magpul XT covers on my first build. I really like the Tango Down, Troy, and/or KAC covers. But as long as they feel comfortable and your happy with them then more power to you Now keep us updated with a range report!
Old 04-04-2011, 4:26 PM
CGN Contributor

Here's that optic i was talking about
photo.jpg
Old 04-04-2011, 4:59 PM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=307308

You're welcome.
Old 04-05-2011, 7:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

Great job!
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.
Old 04-05-2011, 7:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nice build

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 04-05-2011, 8:06 AM

Since when is this site about fashion/design? As long as the fit and function meet the OPs needs, who cares? Save the critique for Milan, darlings. Won't stop it from throwing lead at a target. Nice build.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Let us know how that Leatherwood CMR works out for you, I'm also interested in that scope. Thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 5:06 PM

Nice build! That is quality!!
Old 04-05-2011, 5:09 PM
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the backup!! Function over form !!! This isn't art class.

Here's my review of the Leatherwood. Some major major pros....really as far as i can tell only a couple cons.

Pros: It was pretty dead on once i sighted it in. Which , by the by, only took about 7 shots at 25 yrds . Moved out to 50 yrds and it was even faster to get on target . Then i went out to a hundred yards and it was still hitting the ten ring.

I did notice a discrepancy between where it was impacting at 1x magnification and at 4x. But that may have been me . Then second trip to the range , i'll be a bit more discerning. It was dead center of the reticle at 50 and 100 yrds ( give or take ) and i was easily hitting the 200 yard plate at angeles in fairly rapid succession .

Cons: Weight ... it is a bit heavy. But it all depends on how you'll be shooting it . It wouldn't be my first choice as a CQB optic. But for 25-well who knows...i did hit a few metal targets at 300 yrds ... i think ( no spotter , but i did hear a muffled ding... does that count? )

My biggest qualm is the light up part of the reticle. In daylight conditions ... you just won't see it at all if you're aiming into a light source or something that is very backlit . Nice thing is , the etched reticle is eaaaasily seen which i love. Even if your optic were to lose power , you can still shoot with it . I have checked it out at night and in low light and you can see the lit portion of the reticle well.

So overall.... Man o man, you can't beat what it does for the price. The optics are super clear . Easy to obtain sight picture. Held a zero like a rock out to 100 yards. Def extends how far you can reach with confidence.

If i were going to take a carbine class that was almost all cqb within say 25 yards , i would probably opt for a different optic....I am going to try the vortex spark soon i hope. Also looks like a real bargain for the quality you get. But , i couldn't be happier with my purchase. I look forward to shooting it for many years.

The three pics below are my targets at 25, 50 yrds and then at 100 yrds. You can see the groupings as i was sighting in. Had a few flyers but .... hey... gimme a break. It's only my second time shooting this gun let alone an ar at all. That inch low at 25 made sense because i was intentionally sighting in figuring that it would be on at 50.....t'was close
photo-1.JPG
photo-2.JPG
photo-3.JPG

Last edited by protoolsnerd; 04-05-2011 at 5:14 PM..
Old 04-05-2011, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

ditch the rail covers and id be great, other than that nice rifle bud

Zombie Stickers For Sale

ClassifiedWeapons.com

Looking for a particular parts kit? Check out our parts kit locator that is automatically updated every 6 hours. Now you can see parts kits being offered by multiple websites in one location. Just select the parts kit button on the right of the home page to begin looking.
-------
Home Builds- 1919a4, Sten Mk3, Romy G Ak-47, PSL Pistol,Romanian RPK
Old 04-16-2011, 5:25 PM
CGN Contributor

I can't really ditch those covers because i'm going to be doing CQB stuff with it. The way i hold my thumb on my left hand...vertically ..... I need to have a smoother surface to grab without shredding my hand .