Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-05-2006, 5:17 AM

Default High Cap Magazine Part Set

I live in a free state (Pennsylvania) and sold a weapon to a gentleman in California. He asked that I break down the high cap mags into parts and mail that to him separately. I researched it and it looked like mag parts are ok to ship as long as they're used as replacement parts for mags owned pre AWB. The CADOJ confirmed this as being ok (shocked me that they would agree). I was thinking of selling magazine parts kits to Californians. No excessive mark up. In addition to the normal fare of high caps, I also have a few crates of Chinese AK drums I could breakdown to parts. Any thoughts? I would list here but the "for sale/trade" forum seems to have disappeared.

I may also do complete rifles. The following seller's post intrigued me on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=59842176

What are the primary boards Californian's buy from if not here? Thanks!

Last edited by FormerLaCrescentan; 11-05-2006 at 5:34 AM..
Old 11-05-2006, 5:32 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You can use the Calguns for sale forum after you spend a little more time here.

You need 25 posts in order to sell things here and as you said the magazine parts are legal to sell in California.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 11-05-2006, 5:45 AM

Thanks 6172crew. I see the for sale forum. For some reason I thought that had been pulled. I'll get my posts up.

Sent in some OLL's and mag parts here and there. I love California and would move back but for the politics. Seems to be a nice crew here. A big thank you to you and your cohorts for staying on the front lines i Califrnia.
Old 11-05-2006, 5:49 AM
Super Moderator

Rumor has it Vendors will be allowed to post in a seperate forum soon enough. PM the boss (Kestyrll) and ask him about it.

BTW its good to have you around.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 11-05-2006, 7:02 AM

It's nice to find a vendor who will sell parts like this. I had to drive out of state and break-down some Sig mags just for the tubes and followers. The guy at the counter dropped his jaw when I chucked the springs and floor plates.
Jim
Old 11-05-2006, 7:12 AM

I think there would be a demand for AK mag bodies, I know I need some, some of the mags I picked up before the ban in desperation will not feed and are just crying for a rebuild, same with Para Ord P14 mags.

Another big seller would be Mini 14 mag parts, I hear that there are aftermarket versions now that actually work, how many people here have the old aftermarket crap versions...(raises hand)
Old 11-05-2006, 7:25 AM

There will definately be a demand

Last edited by insin; 11-14-2006 at 3:25 PM..
Old 11-05-2006, 7:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I agree that there is a huge market for them in california, many of us (myself included) stockpiled huge amounts of regular capacity magazines and have slowly worn out/ dinged up/ broken our precious full sized mags. and most people don't want anything to do with shipping replacement parts to california. I actually have a broken ak drum mag (ratcheting mechanism won't hold tension) and getting someone to ship a disasembled drum is almost impossible.

Best of luck with this new endevor, you're doing a real service for californians.
Old 11-05-2006, 7:38 AM

I was thinking about HK mag parts as well. I'm not a vendor, but if there is enough of a demand (beyond a couple sales) I will work something out the board mods. I'm not looking to rape anyone - say $1-$2 per AR mag for my time ordering, breaking them down (AK drums would be a bit more complicated). I'm just a former California native with a penchant for gun rights. I find it hard to believe that no one has thought of selling replacement parts to those in need.

What about selling nonevil featured AR's (AK's, FAL's?) with Monsterman type grips and OLL's? Or even just the OLL's with a fullstock and Monsterman grips - the buyer could build it up the way they wanted. I don't have an FFL (yet) but that seems like a no brainer as well.

Last edited by FormerLaCrescentan; 11-05-2006 at 7:40 AM..
Old 11-05-2006, 7:52 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Good luck, and tread very carefully. I might make everyone sign a document saying they are buying these as parts only, and specifically not with the intent of manufactuaring an illegal high capacity magazine. (it is perfectly legal to import parts to repair an existing high-cap, so long as no new mags are created. Infact, I've done exactly this.)

CYA though, or else you'll probally get raided.

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.
Old 11-05-2006, 8:04 AM

M14 20 rnd replacements would prob help out.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Let me just put it this way:

If it was made prior to 2000 and is 10 or more rounds than there will be a demand. I've been looking all over for straight body 20 round mag body replacements for my AR mags and all I can ever find is the curved bodies. All the steel magazines I have need some TLC and new parts since they were stored improperly and have rusted pretty bad (most would probably still function, but why spend the time/money if replacement parts are cheap enough).

Also, be warned about people trying to do illegal things. While California law can NOT be enforced on you, I believe there is a Federal law that says you can't knowingly break the law. Obviously no one will have a FiveseveN with 20 round magazines, so be weary of people like that. Anything else I would leave up the discretion of the buyer. You might want to also print up a ton of small slips of paper that just says something like "These parts are intended for the sole purpose of replacement and/or repair of magazines already in your possession. It is a crime to use these to manufacture a new magazine. Please be aware of all state and federal laws before using any of these parts for your personal use." After that, leave it up to the seller to do the right thing.

The best way it has been described is Pistol uppers on an AR. If someone buys a pistol upper and puts it on a rifle lower, the original seller has not done anything illegal as the parts were missued from their original intention. Same with magazine parts. You are selling a perfectly legal item, and if the buyer missuses the items than they are the ones breaking the law, not you. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoWeird
Let me just put it this way:

If it was made prior to 2000 and is 10 or more rounds than there will be a demand. I've been looking all over for straight body 20 round mag body replacements for my AR mags and all I can ever find is the curved bodies.

Would it matter legally if you replaced your pre-2000 straight mags with curved bodies? It would still be a 20 round mag.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:11 PM

Put me down for Mini-14 and CZ-75 replacement parts.
Old 11-05-2006, 1:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbopanda
Would it matter legally if you replaced your pre-2000 straight mags with curved bodies? It would still be a 20 round mag.
Not that I know of, in fact I am pretty sure I could replace the parts with 30 round parts as long as it functions in the firearm it was originally designed for (like replacing an AR 20 rounder to an AR 30 rounder is ok, but changing a Mini 20 rounder to an AR 20 or 30 rounder is NOT ok). Still, I want to use them for an M16 retro build so I would like to keep the straight bodies.
Old 11-05-2006, 1:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Not that I know of, in fact I am pretty sure I could replace the parts with 30 round parts as long as it functions in the firearm it was originally designed for (like replacing an AR 20 rounder to an AR 30 rounder is ok, but changing a Mini 20 rounder to an AR 20 or 30 rounder is NOT ok). Still, I want to use them for an M16 retro build so I would like to keep the straight bodies.
Makes sense, although I doubt you could replace a 20 rounder with a 30. Because by the same logic you could replace a 20 or 30 with a 100 round drum as long as its for the same gun.
Old 11-05-2006, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Makes sense, although I doubt you could replace a 20 rounder with a 30. Because by the same logic you could replace a 20 or 30 with a 100 round drum as long as its for the same gun.
I believe someone went over that it would be legal to convert a high capacity magainze into a drum as long as it shared common parts and still functioned in the same gun. If you ran over your 20 rounder and crushed the body and spring, you could replace those parts with 30 rounder parts and still use the follower and floorplate. Not sure if that is legally accurate, but it was discussed earlier this year.
Old 11-05-2006, 2:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I believe someone went over that it would be legal to convert a high capacity magainze into a drum as long as it shared common parts and still functioned in the same gun.

Wow....
Old 11-05-2006, 6:53 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Everything described above is perfectly legal. High cap is 11 rounds or 11thousand rounds.

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.
Old 11-05-2006, 7:01 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I do not need any replacement AR mag parts, but I would be interested in some AK drum parts, since I have two OLD ones, and by old I mean I dont even rember how long ago I have had them. I probably should atleast see if they still even work :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossb7 View Post
HK is the best $500 gun you can get for $1,000
Old 11-05-2006, 7:44 PM

Default Selling magazine parts kits to Californians.

You might also find out why one of the old time gun parts sellers ( SARCO) states in his Shotgun News ads that he won't ship guns to Frisco. But, as you've been advised by others in this tread ( and the CA DOJ ), you should be 'good-to-go' otherwise.
Old 11-06-2006, 7:42 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Also, be warned about people trying to do illegal things. While California law can NOT be enforced on you, I believe there is a Federal law that says you can't knowingly break the law. Obviously no one will have a FiveseveN with 20 round magazines, so be weary of people like that.
Also make sure your references are correct, the FN FiveseveN 5.7x28mm pistol, with standard capacity magazines in 20 round capacity (which could have been privately imported at any time) was released in 1998.

This road is not for the weak of dilligance.

Old 11-06-2006, 9:09 AM

I highly recommend that anyone replacing parts on their high capacity feeding device demill and lodge the old parts with their family attorney.

This provides exellent prospectiive protection if a legal issue ever arises regarding your rebuilt high capacity feeding device.
Old 11-06-2006, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artherd
Also make sure your references are correct, the FN FiveseveN 5.7x28mm pistol, with standard capacity magazines in 20 round capacity (which could have been privately imported at any time) was released in 1998.
This road is not for the weak of dilligance.
There was a federal ban in effect in -98, so how would a 20 round FiveseveN mag make into the hands of someone in the US during that time?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:49 AM

in for high cap mag springs only.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose
There was a federal ban in effect in -98, so how would a 20 round FiveseveN mag make into the hands of someone in the US during that time?

That's what I thought, but maybe I am wrong.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestfall
I may be soon become interested in repairing my Glock mag bodies with some of these, which will function in current and new Glock frames.
Interesting, how do these work? I'm not quite sure how the exposed metal helps with the ambi function.

Turby