Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 8:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default SlideFireSolutions "bumpfire stock" SSAR15 - NOT LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA.

IF YOU HAVE ONE IN CALIFORNIA, DON'T HAVE ONE IN CALIFORNIA!!

I've repeatedly warned here, to some disbelief, that the SlideFire Solutions SSAR15 "bumpfire stock"
is a prohibited "multiburst trigger activator".

A very quick exchange w/a Noted CA Gun Lawyer indicates I'm indeed correct.

SFS' demo videos indicate the device's prime purpose quite well enough, such that there's no overriding
ergonomic/accuracy/comfort/human factors usage masking the above.

I'd hate to see some youngstes get popped for a felony + loss of gunrights for a crap toy piece of plastic.

There's real risk of SIMPLE POSSESSION ALONE BEING INTRINSICALLY ILLEGAL - i.e., even without
being mounted on a gun or even having a matching gun.

And their "BATF approved" statement has no relevance in regard to separate CA laws.

Let's review:

__________________________________________________ ________________________________
12020 PC.
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not
exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any ... {snip}..., any multiburst trigger activator,
...{snip}...

(c)
(23)
As used in this section, a "multiburst trigger activator" means one of the following devices:
(A) A device designed or redesigned to be attached to a semiautomatic firearm which allows the
firearm to discharge two or more shots in a burst by activating the device.

(B) A manual or power-driven trigger activating device constructed and designed so that when
attached to a semiautomatic firearm it increases the rate of fire of that firearm.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

As you can see, the (b) definition above is very very broad - let alone the (a) definition - and there's no
requirement for the 'trigger activator' to have anything really to do with the trigger or being mounted to
the trigger (i.e., it doesn't have to be a "Hellfire"-style device.) All it needs to do is help - or be perceived
as helping
increase the fire rate of any semiauto firearm. (There's no differentiation for pistol vs. rifle,
rimfire vs. centerfire.)

Disassemble it ASAP as best you can into as many separable components as you can. Perhaps there's no
constructive possession if the stock and grip are separate from the "buffer tube" (receiver extension) - but
we're in Real Gray Territory here. I'm not sure how separable individual parts of the stock unit are, if the pistol
grip is separable fromt the stock, etc.

If I found myself having one, I'd not find myself having one - I'd prob. have some plastic shavings and a very
warm disc grinder.

CA FFLs/gunsmiths should absolutely not have these in their shops either. Instant closure (at best).

(Now just watch someone here call me 'anti-gun' because I'm stopping stuff from coming into CA.)

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by bwiese; 03-29-2011 at 8:36 PM..
Closed Thread