Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 11-01-2006, 8:07 PM

Default Put a safe outside?

A little low on space here, given that I live w/roommates, so I thought I could put a safe outside. Would that be an okay idea? If it was in an area that was permanently shaded and out of the rain, but open to an outdoor atmosphere, would that be an okay environment for safe with guns inside of it?
Old 11-01-2006, 8:12 PM

If your safe has holes to let in electrical cords, critters can also get in there.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:32 PM

okay so I'm trying to figure out, if that sarcastic remark was a "you're dumba** for asking of course" or "you're dumba** for asking it doesn't pose any problems" or "I think I'm funny so I'll be cute and talk about 'critters'" or " I'm a dumba** and I don't know it, but hey just like my house that I have out in Africa critters can get into your safe"

Last edited by ghettoshecky; 11-02-2006 at 12:31 AM..
Old 11-02-2006, 1:14 AM

Well, if you're forced to do it at least build it a good shed and get it off of the ground. Make sure you are running a golden rod dehumidifier and putting desicant inside it.
Old 11-02-2006, 2:53 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoshecky
okay so I'm trying to figure out, if that sarcastic remark was a "you're dumba** for asking of course" or "you're dumba** for asking it doesn't pose any problems" or "I think I'm funny so I'll be cute and talk about 'critters'" or " I'm a dumba** and I don't know it, but hey just like my house that I have out in Africa critters can get into your safe"
Naw, I think he meant that bugs could crawl through any electrical-cord holes in the safe. It's a valid concern. You don't wanna open up your safe and pick up your Monsterman-gripped AR, only to discover that a huge black widow has taken up residence inside your magwell!
Old 11-02-2006, 6:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Sorry to dampen the mood But I'll say it as I think a reality check is in order...I think the idea is nucking futts C'mon! Why not fork out the dough and put in a shed--and put most/some of your CLOTHES out in the shed or something? But a safe? Even if its bolted down I think you're asking for trouble as its one LESS obsticle a thief would have to bypass (like getting in and out unnoticed).

You can buy sears, costco, and home depot sheds that'll do your junk rightously for under $500. Just my $0.02 but you asked; Aside from the safety issues--I do think it will cause problems if ya' put the safe outside, even with a dehumidifier you're releying on it far too much IMO when you'd need it most (during a storm, when power likes to go out).

Take a look around your room/house.....what's in there that you'd rather have exposed to the elements and have the greater possibility of being stolen........ Between the guns and what? A stereo? I'd put the stereo out. Between guns and cloths...the clothes would go. Between the guns and a refrigerator...I guess I'm walking outside to go get a diet coke.

~Molôn Labé!!~

1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep
Old 11-02-2006, 8:28 AM

great suggestions, but I forgot to mention I live in a condo on the second floor. I meant the balcony, that is easily accessible during a storm and won't get flooded. It is out of view from other residents and the public, because of the odd way it is constructed. Rain and sun pose no problems as I mentioned before the way the balcony was made. The only problem is the San Diego humidity and maybe dust. And for the last time CRITTERS DO NOT POSE A PROBLEM.
Old 11-02-2006, 8:52 AM

Quote:
great suggestions, but I forgot to mention I live in a condo on the second floor. I meant the balcony, that is easily accessible during a storm and won't get flooded. It is out of view from other residents and the public, because of the odd way it is constructed. Rain and sun pose no problems as I mentioned before the way the balcony was made. The only problem is the San Diego humidity and maybe dust. And for the last time CRITTERS DO NOT POSE A PROBLEM.
In the rain i would just tarp it up.

I wanted to put a safe in my backyard, but I would have put it insdie a shed or something of the sorts.

**** Insert Disclaimer here for any past, present, and future posts. Dont get butt hurt, offended, or complain about an innocent mistake, information that is not 100% accurate, or sillyness mistaken for anything other that that ****
Old 11-02-2006, 9:35 AM

I have thought about this while reading the other posts. I will start by saying that I AM NO EXPERT!!! The thing that would bother me the most is the humidity and temperature changes. I used to live in North County. If this is your only option I would definately install a dehumidifier and figure some way to stabilize the internal temperature.

Also, you should talk to an armorer who can discuss these issues.

Hope it helps.
Glock Talk
www.madtrigger.com Forum
Old 11-02-2006, 10:29 AM

OK I have to get in on this one.

Put your dresser with clothes outside - keep your guns inside.

Seriously, if it is water proof enough for guns then you should be able to use the balcony as a closet! You can buy those rubbermade outdoor sheds that go against the side of a building - they would be great for covering an outside water heater - and you could store your safe in that NOT ideal but you could.

I would seal all holes into the safe with silicone and store all guns in borestores. But, with climate changes if you are near the beach - you are asking for trouble. I think you are better off storing soemthing else out there and using that space for your guns safe.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shooter II
I have thought about this while reading the other posts. I will start by saying that I AM NO EXPERT!!! The thing that would bother me the most is the humidity and temperature changes. I used to live in North County. If this is your only option I would definately install a dehumidifier and figure some way to stabilize the internal temperature.

Also, you should talk to an armorer who can discuss these issues.

Hope it helps.
well the temperature will relatively be stable because it will be in the shade tucked away in the corner, maybe not as good as an insulated building, but then again the safe will be a fireproof one and wouldn't that be great insulation??? So in the end it's just the humidity. Okay then dehumidifier tube with lotsa silica gel. But yeah that is a good idea to consult an armorer. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:33 AM

Quote:
the safe will be a fireproof one and wouldn't that be great insulation?
Maybe not. They insulate from a fire by the heat releasing water to evaporate and carry away the energy. They are only guaranteed for 30 or 45 minutes, and only to keep things below 350.

I don't know one way or the other, but I think it's too chancy a bet if you value your guns enough to buy a safe.
Old 11-02-2006, 6:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsteve
Put your dresser with clothes outside - keep your guns inside.
Thank you Steve Glad to know I'm not off my rocker whenst I was thinking the choice between the two would leave my clothes smelling BACKYARD fresh

~Molôn Labé!!~

2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
Old 11-02-2006, 8:35 PM

I'm no expert either, but have heard from several people that if the safe is going to rest directly on concrete you should put something under the bottom to llet air circulate under it. A strip of 1/2" plywood under each end, or 2X4s, or something that will keep the bottom off the ground enough to let air circulate around the bottom would work. I think the idea is to prevent condensation from building up under the safe.

My 4 safes are all inside, and only one of them, a new Sentry, is fire insulated. It is the only one that gives me a problem with humidity. I have to air it out often, I guess I'm overdue for a goldenrod.
Old 11-03-2006, 6:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I have lived a couple of small places and kept my safes inside. You need to get creative, cover it with a table cloth and put your TV on top of it, in your bedroom. There are other ways it just takes some time to figure out. But if you care about those guns don't put them outside
Old 11-03-2006, 7:19 AM

Unless it's a gun-locker, you'll be pushing at LEAST 500-600lbs on a balcony. Add three to five people out there during a party and you have a recipe for disaster.

Mike
Old 11-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Janitors assistant

There is not a chance on the planet that I would put a gunsafe outdoors on a balcony. Find a hole and put it in there. Also there are end of closet options.
Old 11-03-2006, 1:14 PM

I know a guy who keeps his gun safe in his backyard. He lives in a kinda rural area on a hillside, in a funky small house with odd-ball sized entranceways between the rooms, and can't fit the safe through the inside "doorways."

So, it's sitting on 2x4's on the back patio, underneath a deck. He uses a goldenrod, keeps the guns inside bore stores, and well oiled to prevent rust, but I don't know how effective it is in the short or long run.
Old 11-03-2006, 5:13 PM

Don't store anything as important as this outside!

Is all the space under your bed all used up? What about inside the box spring? Unless one has a water bed, this is prolly the available, secure and worthwhile space in your home - regardless as to whether you live in a condo, apartment, etc.

Hopefully I've sparked an idea about an area where you likely spend quite a bit of time 'on top of!?' :')

I've developed a really good set of plans/ideas for converting this often not used space for storage of important keepsakes.

C'mon...let me hear all the potential negatives about this idea.

msl
Old 11-03-2006, 5:52 PM

okay you guys have really irked me nuff, that I've decided I'm just going to stuff in my room.....
Old 11-03-2006, 7:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
okay you guys have really irked me nuff, that I've decided I'm just going to stuff in my room.....
LOL!.... GOOD Now go sell your bed on Graigslist and then go buy a Bunk bed, remove the under bed and put the safe UNDER the top bed; THAT'll take care of the space issue...and all the women that come over will think it's "Cute"

~Molôn Labé!!~

Old 11-04-2006, 1:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

+1 on no.

The bunkbed/loft idea was a good one. Better you put your clothes outside before the guns/safe like the others have said. Even a detached garage or shed is a poor second versus being inside when considering the temp change from night to day. Temp change = dew formation = water = rust. Inside the house there is a neligible variation in temp. Outside there is.

Good luck
Old 11-04-2006, 5:28 PM

That said, my safe was in my detatched garage on a piece of 3/4 inch plywood for five years and no rust was formed on any of my guns due to my goldernrod and the desicant. This was in Lakewood about 10 miles from the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatoh
+1 on no.

The bunkbed/loft idea was a good one. Better you put your clothes outside before the guns/safe like the others have said. Even a detached garage or shed is a poor second versus being inside when considering the temp change from night to day. Temp change = dew formation = water = rust. Inside the house there is a neligible variation in temp. Outside there is.

Good luck
Old 11-05-2006, 8:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50ae
That said, my safe was in my detatched garage on a piece of 3/4 inch plywood for five years and no rust was formed on any of my guns due to my goldernrod and the desicant. This was in Lakewood about 10 miles from the beach.
Sounds like very little temp differences INSIDE the garage; dont think that'll happen if he puts it outside...unless of course he lives in the desert(?) and humidity really aint a problem.

But ya' ever hear the commedian talking about the way of things? It basically comes down to this- Peeps in America are wacked, Ya' put a $50,000 car on the OUTSIDE of your garage and then proceed to filll your garage with worthless junk....go figure.

So its back down to the *could* he do it? Sure, why not, reinforce the balcony and bolt the sucker down good....

But *SHOULD* he do it? I immediately think of the day in court when/after some idiot teen were able to make off (or at least into) the safe and the DA's asking WHY YOU PUT THE THING OUTSIDE and if you really considerd it safe.

Does you balcony have stairs leading up to it? Can ANYONE from Any angle see it from below or even a house or two away from thier second or third story? Is there a LOCKED gate to the yard or is it only a latch? Goit a guard dog?

Might seem like off base questions to some but to those others you know where I'm goin' with this...........

~Molôn Labé!!~

Old 11-14-2006, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead357
Sounds like very little temp differences INSIDE the garage; dont think that'll happen if he puts it outside...unless of course he lives in the desert(?) and humidity really aint a problem.

But ya' ever hear the commedian talking about the way of things? It basically comes down to this- Peeps in America are wacked, Ya' put a $50,000 car on the OUTSIDE of your garage and then proceed to filll your garage with worthless junk....go figure.

So its back down to the *could* he do it? Sure, why not, reinforce the balcony and bolt the sucker down good....

But *SHOULD* he do it? I immediately think of the day in court when/after some idiot teen were able to make off (or at least into) the safe and the DA's asking WHY YOU PUT THE THING OUTSIDE and if you really considerd it safe.

Does you balcony have stairs leading up to it? Can ANYONE from Any angle see it from below or even a house or two away from thier second or third story? Is there a LOCKED gate to the yard or is it only a latch? Goit a guard dog?

Might seem like off base questions to some but to those others you know where I'm goin' with this...........

Like I said it's out of view, cuz of the way it's constructed, and at every angle you can't see it. There are no stairs that lead to the balcony and only one exit, which is my front door. The only people I'm worried about are the old retired ladies who are home all day and would probably see if someone is robbing my safe/guns, and call the police. The problem is they could call the police on me, but then again all, yes all the old ladies, think I'm a nice gentleman cuz I help them out on odd jobs and talk to them. So really I don't have stupid teenagers who get stupid ideas. Also the balcony faces inward to a courtyard so even if someone was to climb the balcony and peek in they would have to get through a double set of locked compound doors. And really there is nothing of interest in my home except my computer, so it would be hella stupid of them if they were to go through the trouble and risk to maybe steal about $5000 worth of stuff that can't relatively be quickly liquidated.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, If you stand the input, not meaning to sound harsh....but it sounds like you've already made up your mind and are looking simply for validation to do so You've a couple believers above but I always tend to worry about "justifying", or needing to be able to justify my actions after something goes wrong. If the Balcony collapses, what are ya' gonna say to the landlord? If somebody is actually able to make off with the entire safe while your elderly neibors are napping( ) then how/what do you say to the cops and the insurance company? "Well, yeah...I Put my Gunsafe outside....balah blah blah". Maybe just me & being too pesimistic but I think most listeners (The adjuster, the cops, the neighbors, the news crew) will all have stopped listening after the first part and will have dismissed ya' as a loon for doing something this........contray to "norm".

YOUR stuff, YOUR guns....YOUR call, but it seems most here have weighed in there's gotta be a better solution to your space problem.

~Molôn Labé!!~

Old 11-14-2006, 10:32 PM

. . . . . . please don't
Old 11-15-2006, 2:45 AM
Super Moderator

Have you thought about renting out a locker at a gun range? Not sure how many guns you're wanting to store, though. That'd take care of the climate control issues though.

Maybe you and some friends could pay rent on a small spot at a storage facility, and each of you puts in your own safe. Then, you'd have firearms storage for everybody without a big problem.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:36 AM

well I've decided that I wasn't going to do that, as I mentioned before but still I would like to know all the down sides of putting a safe outside. Renting a gun locker at the range wouldn't work cuz how would I store a .50cal if I ever get around to complete
Old 11-16-2006, 3:08 PM

Do your roomies sleep in your room? How big is your room? There has to be enough space for any decent sized safe in your room, unless you live in a studio with 6 others. Damn dude. Forget the outside stuff. Just telling ya like it is.
If you want other more concise words of thought, post some pics of the living space and i'm sure we all here will give our honest thoughts/ideas. No......i'm not kidding either.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'