Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-27-2011, 6:06 PM
Haggar85

Default reheat treating, good or bad idea?

hey every one,
there are some fire arms in my family that we are all scratching our heads on what to do. so one of them is a Remington 12 gauge shot gun that has 1912 stamped on it. the barrel looks to be wire wrapped and the bluing is pretty good.
the person in possession of this shot gun too it to a smith, the smith said it was a valuable wall hanger not to be reblued or fired PERIOD! much to my protest i told the person that has it, that the modern shells will crack it. so the person that has it asked about reheat treating it. this is some thing i know next to nothing about.
i know a machinist and a few others that deal in metal working that could probably do it, but i was just curious is if in fact is even possible to reheat treat a fire arm?
Old 03-27-2011, 8:30 PM

It sounds like a Damascus barrel made for black powder loads. Heat treating won't help. If you really want to shoot it there are some places that will make up tubes for it, either in reduced gauges or in 12 gauge if the wall thickness is sufficient, but it gets very expensive.
I've also seen some people shoot light moden loads in Damascus barrels, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
Listen to the gunsmith, and hang it on the wall.
Old 03-27-2011, 9:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Damascus barrel + modern loads= BOOM

Heat treating will do nothing, the problem is in the way Damascus barrels were made.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 PM

I really don't want to go against the recomendations of a gunsmith on a gun I have never seen nor am I sure of the model but... There is a misconception that any gun with damascus or twist barrels should not be or never be shot. What were the reasons the smith sited for non use? Did he take wall thickness measurements? If so what was/were the minimum wall thickness? Is there rust or pitting in the barrels or was there a problem with the action? Older guns even those with steel barrels should be shot with loads in the pressure range in which they were designed to operate. Black powder shotshells and cartridges develop more pressure than some people might think. If the gun looks to be in good condition its worth getting another opinion from someone who is familiar or specializes with older/antique firearms.
Old 03-28-2011, 9:50 AM
Haggar85

well the smith was insistent that the barrel was not in firing condition. he stated it was early production and wire wrapped. 1912 model but it was made shortly there after, probably WW I era. the bluing was 90% or so and other patrons of the store were trying to buy it from us. we were taking it in for bluing touch up. (i had no say) the smith refused reblue it or do any modification what so ever. (bubbafiying) he simple stated "oil it, hang it on a wall, enjoy it aesthetically."
the problem goes beyond safety and more into the grounds of idiocy. the uncle that was given the shotgun wants to use it in some historical paying homage hunt. i tried telling him the shells are too high of pressure. he bought common 12 Ga. but fortunately has not used it. he only half way heeded my advice and has postponed his hunt.
thanks for the input. ill pass that along to him, if he uses it or not is out of my hands. however i will strongly recommend that he just wall hang it.
hes does not have a good sportsman or shooter mentality, cool factor seems to surpass safety.none the less ill recommend that he just leave it at home and buy a mossberg.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM

Unless the gun is in terrible condition, I don't know how one could tell if the gun is shootable or not without taking some measurements or xraying. Is the gun a side by side?

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/foru...4626&view=next

Last edited by Bigyates; 03-28-2011 at 10:16 AM..
Old 03-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
Damascus barrel + modern loads= BOOM

Heat treating will do nothing, the problem is in the way Damascus barrels were made.

True...

You can, however, buy "low base" shells and fire the weapon safely.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,371.html

...and I get banned from OT for doing MUCH LESS than what they did?!?!?! Nice job "Mods"...