Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-26-2011, 4:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default original Mauser k98k color

I just finished stripping the gunk off a RC stock. I got out all of the shellac and most of the cosmoline. There are areas where the end grain of the laminated stock (such as in the bolt handle recess) drank up the cosmline and just won't give it up. The wood appears to be blond and beech. Were these rifles originally issued light in color? An oil finish will darken it some but nothing like it was after the Russians shellaced it. Although probably in poor taste to even mention Mitchell's Mausers, I shall only as a point of reference. Their ads depicts a very light colored rifle. Is that a reasonably accurate as issued color? Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 4:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

K98s were stained a reddish brown until late in the war when speed became more important. Blonde stocks were pretty much unknown until mid-late 1944.

Mitchell strips them with strong stripper AND sands down the stocks to get the blonde color, so no its not normal.

Tim
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 03-26-2011, 5:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the info timdps. The receiver is marked byf 1943 which is Mauserwerk K.G., Oberndorf am Neckar. From what you say, given the 1943, this would have likely been stained reddish brown which will actually help blend in some of the indelible cosmoline stains.
Old 03-27-2011, 6:33 AM

Later laminated stocks come in what is called "red" and "white" glue. Below is a 1944 byf white glue untouched all matching Mauser. I don't own a red glue, but they are easy to spot.
http://www.thedolk.com/K98k/index.html

Last edited by Dolk; 03-27-2011 at 6:36 AM..
Old 03-27-2011, 6:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the picture Dolk. That helps a lot. Mine looks very similar to yours although my butt plate is earlier I think because it does not have edges. Just covers the end grain. And right now, after scrubbing with a toothbrush and orange degreaser (to get the cosmoline out) it is a little lighter. I expect I'll stain it back to a color similar to yours now that I have a point of reference.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

According to the original Mauser manuals, multiple coats of linseed oil was the only thing applied to the stocks. There is no mention anywhere of stain if it was used.

Dolk, that's the first white glue stock I've ever seen.
There's not a whole lot of info out there on them, and when they were made.
Are you sure it was made in 1944?
Any factory code stamps in the wood to determine which factory made it?
Information I have says the white glue stocks were replaced with the red because of the white de-laminating with moisture. Probably why you don't see them very often. It isn't clear when they started to produce them, and when the change to the stronger red was made.
Some say as early as 1939 for the start on the white, but with so few survivors, that's pretty hard to nail down.
Old 03-27-2011, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
According to the original Mauser manuals, multiple coats of linseed oil was the only thing applied to the stocks. There is no mention anywhere of stain if it was used.

Dolk, that's the first white glue stock I've ever seen.
There's not a whole lot of info out there on them, and when they were made.
Are you sure it was made in 1944?
Any factory code stamps in the wood to determine which factory made it?
Information I have says the white glue stocks were replaced with the red because of the white de-laminating with moisture. Probably why you don't see them very often. It isn't clear when they started to produce them, and when the change to the stronger red was made.
Some say as early as 1939 for the start on the white, but with so few survivors, that's pretty hard to nail down.
No, I haven't any idea what the factory was.

I'm positive it is 1944.
1944 byf (Oberdorf) b block
Everything matches including the ser#'s on the stock and hand guard
The rifle was in the collection of a guy who was a co author on a book on Mausers. Fairly well known book also. The rifle is fairly well documented and is one reason I got it. No chance of humping! I payed a little bit of a premium for it, but not too bad.

It has been "scrutinized" a couple times on "Gunboards" and on k98k.com (in fact, the old owner even remembered the rifle there)

There are some stamps on the stock and I will take a look at them later.

Last edited by Dolk; 03-27-2011 at 8:15 PM..