Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-07-2012, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
Unless you directly and knowingly assisted him/her with breaking clear statutory law, there wouldn't be a reason to distrust you.
But how would you know...???

The problem with your logic, is that you are blaming the entire office. Not everyone in the office is guilty of whatever crime you're accusing them of.

Until you get all the names and all of the "crimes" that they have committed against you, you're just shotgun blaming everyone.

Now that we have completely gone off track of what I was originally talking about, regarding how and why I would do certain things involving an LTC, I will leave you to your prejudices and say, good day
"Use the shiny toys when you have them, but never, ever forget how to do it by hand." --- SGT. David Sillick A. Co. 4-64 AR, 3ID

Everything is METTT-C
Old 02-07-2012, 8:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blu View Post
But how would you know...???

The problem with your logic, is that you are blaming the entire office. Not everyone in the office is guilty of whatever crime you're accusing them of.

Until you get all the names and all of the "crimes" that they have committed against you, you're just shotgun blaming everyone.

Now that we have completely gone off track of what I was originally talking about, regarding how and why I would do certain things involving an LTC, I will leave you to your prejudices and say, good day
The problem is that in your outrage, you forget I was speaking of the high level executives. Government official to me is not the street deputy. The street deputy didn't decide to not accept the apps. The executive office of the sheriff did. You don't blame the infantry for the secretary of defense's decision....
Old 02-07-2012, 8:03 AM

I apologize to CGF and company, for the rant that has taken place here.
"Use the shiny toys when you have them, but never, ever forget how to do it by hand." --- SGT. David Sillick A. Co. 4-64 AR, 3ID

Everything is METTT-C
Old 02-14-2012, 8:29 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

And Scocca v. Smith is stayed for 6 months: http://www.archive.org/download/gov....38467.37.0.pdf

Well, at least we warned the court what we'd do next. This will get interesting.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 02-14-2012, 8:30 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

And Scocca v. Smith is stayed for 6 months: http://www.archive.org/download/gov....38467.37.0.pdf

Well, at least we warned the court what we'd do next. This will get interesting.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 02-14-2012, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

Ahh dammit! That order is so full of bull sh$% that the paper is turning brown!

Especially “A stay should not be granted unless it appears likely the other proceedings will be concluded within a reasonable time in relation to the
urgency of the claims presented to the court.”

Nordyke... concluded within a reasonable time???????? WTF!!!

And this: "Here, neither MS nor CGF has made any allegation in the complaint that their members would have standing to sue in their own right. Furthermore, in their response to the order to show cause, the organizations indicate that they “re prepared to have some of their individual members
seek new licenses.” Pls.’ Resp. at 6. This suggests that, at present, none of their members has standing."

Gene, I am ready to go. Contact me to file my LTC application for prompt rejection by Smith!

Oh yeah, did you ever get that transcript of the MTD hearing?

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 02-14-2012, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

After rereading and considering the other cases stayed for Nordyke, it is staggering how all of our eggs for carry rights in CA seem to be in the Nordyke basket!

Old 02-14-2012, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Time to apply in Santa Clara?

C'mooooooooooooooon Nordyke!

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 02-14-2012, 8:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you haven't already, please make sure to sign up to be a LTC applicant volunteer here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/get-inv...volunteer.html.

I'll be in touch via email when it's time. My email will include very specific instructions; please don't make any assumptions and act outside of those instructions for the purposes of our efforts.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-14-2012, 8:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

And to play on an old phrase, "one day, this will be twenty Nordykes ago."

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 02-14-2012, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
If you haven't already, please make sure to sign up to be a LTC applicant volunteer here: http://calgunsfoundation.org/get-inv...volunteer.html.

I'll be in touch via email when it's time. My email will include very specific instructions; please don't make any assumptions and act outside of those instructions for the purposes of our efforts.

-Brandon
THIS!!! The war is not one by an individual battle.. There is no "I" in team.. We must pool together our resources and stick to the plan.. For it is a WINNING plan!!
Old 02-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blu View Post
I apologize to CGF and company, for the rant that has taken place here.
I trust you, and I know what you are saying. I know GP personally, and I do not think that you two are even adverse.

You are speaking from kind of inside the system, and we hear you - but I think that the strategy people already thought through that issue. Just like we maybe need to trust you a little more, you just need to trust us a little more.

The people in our coalition are good people. And by good people, I mean MORALLY good people. I don't know how to say it properly. We ARE the good guys, and we DO work from a spirit of love, and not hate or fear. We work with everyone here in Ca, and with the national groups. The group here is good at doing all of this, and YOU are part of it.

We all are, and we all need to remember that we ARE on the same team. Sometimes we forget, and I am the worst!!!

OK, rant off - and that wasn't really a rant, just an observation, and a show of respect, for ALL of us.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
And to play on an old phrase, "one day, this will be twenty Nordykes ago."

-Brandon

This^^^. Because you just gotta believe.
Old 02-15-2012, 4:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
This is very promising, and implies that we seriously lucked out here.

I'll take all the luck I can get.
And once again I've been proven wrong.

This is becoming a trend. Whenever I get even slightly optimistic about something, my optimism is quickly and decisively shown to be wishful thinking.

Enough is enough. I'm not going to make that mistake again.
The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Your oath to uphold the Constitution is a joke unless you refuse to enforce unadjudicated laws you believe are Unconstitutional.

The real world laughs at optimism. And here's why.

I hope I end up having to donate another $1000 to CGF... However, this $500 is one I hope to not have to donate...
Old 02-15-2012, 5:15 AM

kcbrown -- The Constitution is not "the Supreme Law of the Land, except in the face of contradicting law which has not yet been overturned by the courts". It is THE SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND, PERIOD. Consider very carefully what that means for your oath to uphold the Constitution.
Old 02-15-2012, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbrown View Post
Enough is enough. I'm not going to make that mistake again.
Tom said, optimistically.
Old 02-15-2012, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

-Gene
I read the ORDER.

The court made a typo on page 6. I added the bold word.
Quote:
Finally, to the extent Plaintiffs now argue that Defendants are violating California law by stopping the issuance of licenses to carry concealed weapons, see Pls.’ Resp. at 7 (citing Salute v. Pitchess, 61 Cal. App. 3d 557 (1976)), the Court does NOT see how that argument has any real impact on this case and on Mr. Scocca’s claim in particular.

Old 02-15-2012, 9:15 AM

Quote:

-Gene
God......damnit!!!!!

Well, at least this gives me time to save up for what I want to carry. I would have gotten it already, if it weren't for those damned meddling bike repairs.

Everything is METTT-C
Old 02-15-2012, 9:54 AM
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798

Quote:

-Gene

Quote:

-Brandon
Brandon,

I’m more than happy to volunteer but I fear I may not be the best “plaintiff” for a suit that could make or break (in some significant way) our LTC fight. Should I inquire with you via PM about helping?

-------
Old 02-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermcoupe View Post

Brandon,

I’m more than happy to volunteer but I fear I may not be the best “plaintiff” for a suit that could make or break (in some significant way) our LTC fight. Should I inquire with you via PM about helping?
I **hate** PMs (and generally only read them monthly or so, or when I have time - which is not often).

Email me.

-Brandon

Old 02-15-2012, 10:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Unless you directly and knowingly assisted him/her with breaking clear statutory law, there wouldn't be a reason to distrust you.
Heh. Not having a reason to distrust someone doesn't mean you have a reason to trust them either.

Fair's fair and all that.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798

Quote:
Email me.

-Brandon
Sent.

-------
Old 02-15-2012, 4:16 PM

Quote:

-Gene
What exactly happens next?
Old 02-15-2012, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
What exactly happens next?
From the "Show Cause" Order:

The CALGUNS FOUNDATION, INC., and MADISON SOCIETY, INC.,
plaintiffs are prepared to have some of their individual members seek new
licenses from SHERIFF SMITH that match the concessions made by County
Counsel during oral argument. (e.g., they carry large amounts of cash, they
conduct investigations, engage in commerce of a sensitive nature, etc...) Of
course that assumes that SHERIFF SMITH will process the applications.

Additionally, it has come to the attention of all the Plaintiffs that SHERIFF
SMITH may be in violation of her duties under Salute v. Pitchess, 61 Cal.
App. 3d 557 (1976). That case stands for the proposition that Sheriffs can
not refuse to process applications for concealed carry licenses. In an article
printed in the San Jose Mercury News on December 11, 2011, about this very
case, Deputy County Counsel Cheryl Stevens said: “Smith stopped issuing
permits in the early months of this year.” The articles intimates that SMITH
is reviewing her policies regarding carry licences. But this is just another
lawless violation of her duties under California law. SHERIFF SMITH does
not have the power under state law to unilaterally decide to stop issuing
permits in her county because a lawsuit is pending.
Old 02-15-2012, 5:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

The CALGUNS FOUNDATION, INC., and MADISON SOCIETY, INC., plaintiffs are prepared to have some of their individual members seek new licenses from SHERIFF SMITH that match the concessions made by County Counsel during oral argument. (e.g., they carry large amounts of cash, they conduct investigations, engage in commerce of a sensitive nature, etc...) Of course that assumes that SHERIFF SMITH will process the applications.
I was not able to attend the initial MTD hearing where these criteria were given. What were the the additional concessions (the etc. part)? Maybe other Santa Clara County Calgunners meet the conditions of this list. Let us know and we can let the CGF know if we can help the cause.

Speaking for myself, I realize this isn't a quick route to a LTC. I would expect to be rejected and then participate with the CGF in additional legal action against the Sheriff. And yes, I have already signed up as a LTC applicant volunteer.

Old 02-15-2012, 5:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Sheriff Smith has painted herself into a corner, it seems.

Exposing Leftists
Zomblog
The future of California?
Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
And Scocca v. Smith is stayed for 6 months....
We really need a smilie that eats a sandwich then flops on his side on a pillow and takes a nap (incl "Zzzz" coming out of his mouth).

Recently I read how the judge on the Prop 187 lawsuit sat on it for something like 3 years so that by the time she released her opinion, Gov. Wilson would soon be replaced by Gray Davis who dropped Wilson's appeal to the 9th Circuit....

It reminded me of what we're going thru, but all around the nation.

Quote:
Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. . . .

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene
185+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.
Old 02-16-2012, 1:50 AM

Quote:

The CALGUNS FOUNDATION, INC., and MADISON SOCIETY, INC.,
plaintiffs are prepared to have some of their individual members seek new
licenses from SHERIFF SMITH that match the concessions made by County
Counsel during oral argument. (e.g., they carry large amounts of cash, they
conduct investigations, engage in commerce of a sensitive nature, etc...) Of
course that assumes that SHERIFF SMITH will process the applications.

Additionally, it has come to the attention of all the Plaintiffs that SHERIFF
SMITH may be in violation of her duties under Salute v. Pitchess, 61 Cal.
App. 3d 557 (1976). That case stands for the proposition that Sheriffs can
not refuse to process applications for concealed carry licenses. In an article
printed in the San Jose Mercury News on December 11, 2011, about this very
case, Deputy County Counsel Cheryl Stevens said: “Smith stopped issuing
permits in the early months of this year.” The articles intimates that SMITH
is reviewing her policies regarding carry licences. But this is just another
lawless violation of her duties under California law. SHERIFF SMITH does
not have the power under state law to unilaterally decide to stop issuing
permits in her county because a lawsuit is pending.
So if the flood of applications happens, then how would we know whether the sheriff is sitting on the applications or just slowly processing them? Is there a statutory time frame for issuance?
Old 02-16-2012, 9:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
So if the flood of applications happens, then how would we know whether the sheriff is sitting on the applications or just slowly processing them? Is there a statutory time frame for issuance?
http://calgunsfoundation.org/resourc...y/9-carry.html

-Brandon

Old 02-16-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:

-Brandon
If we have signed up already, is it counter productive to "make sure" and sign up again?
Borrowed from joefreas:
”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Borrowed from The Shadow:
"Controlling crime by regulating guns is like controlling obesity by regulating the size of spoons." - Lou Gohmert (R) Congressman from Texas; Appeared on Fox News on 16 January 2011
Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monticore View Post
If we have signed up already, is it counter productive to "make sure" and sign up again?
Nope. I can (and do) run filters easily enough.

-Brandon

Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nope. I can (and do) run filters easily enough.

-Brandon
I couldn't remember if I ever signed up for that (but I don't think I ever did.) So I just threw my hat into the ring.

I've been wanting to start collecting my rejections from the Sheriff and my city police department, so I can officially say my 2A rights are being suppressed by high ranking officials from the executive branch, but I've been holding off in the hopes that my rejections can somehow be turned into a tactical advantage.

Let me know when you want me to apply, and I'll do so with gleeful abandon (although no black western hats will be worn during my application period, nor will I speak of myself in third person).

Proud to belong to the NRA Members' Council of Santa Clara County

Disclaimer: All opinions are entirely my own.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgron View Post
Let me know when you want me to apply, and I'll do so with gleeful abandon (although no black western hats will be worn during my application period, nor will I speak of myself in third person).

Thanks for the much-appreciated chuckle.

I will be in touch.

-Brandon

Old 02-16-2012, 7:15 PM
Calguns Addict

I would also jump on the let's get denied to have standing boat. I own a check cashing business in Santa Clara County and have all ready been given the run around. Oh, we don't have any apps to fill out, Let me put you on hold: 30 minutes went by before I hung up. I'll take a message and so and so will call you back. That was 2004 and I still haven't gotten that phone call.

Another check casher was murdered at a branch of the bank I used to frequent to pick up cash. For some reason, I go to a different branch these days...
Old 02-16-2012, 7:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Whoa, double post.

I signed up for the volunteer page and made sure to include my screen name.

Last edited by Spaceghost; 02-17-2012 at 2:28 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 7:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceghost View Post
I would also jump on the let's get denied to have standing boat. I own a check cashing business in Santa Clara County and have all ready been given the run around. Oh, we don't have any apps to fill out, Let me put you on hold: 30 minutes went by before I hung up. I'll take a message and so and so will call you back. That was 2004 and I still haven't gotten that phone call.

Another check casher was murdered at a branch of the bank I used to frequent to pick up cash. For some reason, I go to a different branch these days...
Make sure you note that when you sign up on the volunteer page (if you haven't already).

-Brandon

Old 02-17-2012, 2:56 PM

Do we know what is sufficient cause to get involved in this initiative ?
x7
Old 02-17-2012, 3:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrisnet View Post
Do we know what is sufficient cause to get involved in this initiative ?
Sign up at the link I posted earlier; add as much detail about your specific facts as you are willing. I will reach out with specific instructions once we have everything in order to proceed.

-Brandon

Old 02-17-2012, 3:38 PM

Quote:

-Brandon
This may be a dumb question that I should know the answer to but....

I'm willing to volunteer provided there is some confidence that a denial (a certainty) will not impact future applications (once we win).
Old 02-17-2012, 3:44 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
This may be a dumb question that I should know the answer to but....

I'm willing to volunteer provided there is some confidence that a denial (a certainty) will not impact future applications (once we win).
Depends on how much confidence you need.

If a denial is for cause - felony, that kind of thing - then it certainly will impact future apps.

Denial for 'you do not have good cause', very probably not; either you may have a different 'good cause' on re-application, or different things may be accepted as 'good cause'.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.