Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 10-29-2006, 7:54 AM

Default Need recommendations on a gun safe

I'm looking at upgrading to a larger gun safe and was wondering what you all recommended. I've looked at Heritage, American Security, Fort Knox, Browning, Patriot, etc. and find that most of them are fairly similar when you look at their top-of-the-line products.

I'm specifically looking for something that can hold rifles, pistols, jewelry, papers, media, etc. so I'm looking for fireproofing, thick steel, 4 sided bolts, etc. Size is up in the air but something close to 59"x30"x24" (or close) would suffice. Basically, I'm looking to figure out which is the best........

So what are your opinions on who makes the best gun safe?
Old 10-29-2006, 8:39 AM

The posts from this forum seem to have been lost in the transition. Bummer, as there was a link to an incredibly good article on safes.

I can't find it on the site, or with a search engine on the web, but hopefully somebody will repost it for you.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Default Go big!

My reccomendation... get as BIG as you can, because they always fill up so fast!!!

Check out or web page for current *Web Specials* WWW.SANTACRUZARMORY.COM
Old 10-29-2006, 10:26 AM

One aspect to figure in is where will the safe be located? If you want to put it in an area where there is a lot of burnable material around it then you'll want to factor in the fire-resistance ratings. If the safe is in your garage then the ability to bolt it to the pad or foundation is important as is perhaps humidity consideration.

So, figure out the location for the safe and do your calculations. Then search based upon your needs. Get the largest based around your needs as they do fill up with lots of things quickly.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Look here: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

And decide whether the difference between a Residential Security Container and a safe is worth the money to you.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 10-29-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian
Look here: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

And decide whether the difference between a Residential Security Container and a safe is worth the money to you.
Wow, a great article. Lots of information here to absorb.
Old 10-30-2006, 9:18 AM

Default Hall's Safes

I bought a Hall's safe (http://hallsafe.com/index.htm) because as far as I could tell, they are the only safe that could keep electronics safe in a fire. I posted here and asked about that, and didn't hear of any others. They claim to keep the contents below 140F in an 1800F fire because they do not have any holes for electrical cords etc; they are airtight and also watertight. Every other safe I looked at was only good to 350F, which is fine for paper, but electronics (like a backup disk drive) will be destroyed by such high temps (solder flows at 360 I think).

It didn't hurt that they were close enough to home (Loomis, 25 miles east of Sacto) that I could visit and see safes under construction :-)

I am happy with what I have, altho, like everyone told me and is saying here, it's not big enough any more ...
Old 10-30-2006, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Repair
I bought a Hall's safe (http://hallsafe.com/index.htm) because as far as I could tell, they are the only safe that could keep electronics safe in a fire. I posted here and asked about that, and didn't hear of any others. They claim to keep the contents below 140F in an 1800F fire because they do not have any holes for electrical cords etc; they are airtight and also watertight. Every other safe I looked at was only good to 350F, which is fine for paper, but electronics (like a backup disk drive) will be destroyed by such high temps (solder flows at 360 I think).

It didn't hurt that they were close enough to home (Loomis, 25 miles east of Sacto) that I could visit and see safes under construction :-)

I am happy with what I have, altho, like everyone told me and is saying here, it's not big enough any more ...
Sounds very interesting.... One question though. How to you dehumidify the interior of the safe? Without venting holes, I'm assuming you don't use a heat wand to dehumidify.

On the heat issue, I checked their website and I didn't see any downloadable reports on their heat testing. I too am interested in storing computer devices and other plastics in the safe and fireproofing to less than 140 degrees would preferable.

Also, does Hall Safe have a showroom for these?
Old 10-30-2006, 9:31 PM

Default Good safe

Check out Sturdy Safe in Fresno. High quality and value and arguably the best fire protection.
Old 10-30-2006, 9:57 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

American security is my favorite because with the hinges on the outside it allows you to open the door all the way.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:08 PM

It looks like a lot of the top end manufacturers include exterior hinges......
Old 10-31-2006, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcg
Sounds very interesting.... One question though. How to you dehumidify the interior of the safe? Without venting holes, I'm assuming you don't use a heat wand to dehumidify.
Since it is airtight and watertight, there is no need to continually dehumidify it like safes which are open to the atmosphere. If you live in a humid climate, you can get reuseable dehumidifier packs which will dry it out once closed, and then it will stay that way since it is airtight. You put them in a microwave or low temp oven to dry out. Keep several sets; swap dry ones for used ones each time you open the safe. I don't worry about it since it is pretty dry where I live; I actually ought to worry more about it being too dry inside.

Quote:
On the heat issue, I checked their website and I didn't see any downloadable reports on their heat testing. I too am interested in storing computer devices and other plastics in the safe and fireproofing to less than 140 degrees would preferable.
They say UL approved testing, but that's all I know; I was sold just by the thickness and being airtight. They were cooperative at their office in showing me around, and maybe they have reports if you ask.

Quote:
Also, does Hall Safe have a showroom for these?
Yes, their Loomis office. Easy to get to, five minutes from the Horseshow Bar exit on I-80. I believe I could have seen mine at various stages in the build except I live too far away to just drop by without planning. They even had a whopper double door safe to drool over. They are very open about things.
Old 10-31-2006, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal
American security is my favorite because with the hinges on the outside it allows you to open the door all the way.

Ahh, but not all Am Sec safes have hinges on the outside. Mine doesn't.

I haven't looked at a lot of safes, but Am Sec makes the nicest safes that I have seen. Just my opinion though.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 AM

Am Sec make good safe so does Sturdy safes, Hall might they don't list all the specs on their site but the wieght is certainly up there and i have heard good things about them - boy are they expensive thugh.

Read the article linked to in an earlier post and make sure you are comparing "like" safes. Metal thickness on sides and top and type of fireproofing can make a big difference.

Here is another link

http://www.directsafes.com/burglary-...m?ProductID=30

It is a jewlery safe but compare how its built.

If you remove any interior shelves it could hold firearms BUT - the firelining that is cement based absorbs moisture and releases it when heated which is not good for guns...and other items - the firelining Sturdy Safe and some other use the ceramic blanket does not retain moisture...a big difference.