Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:38 PM

Default JSE Surplus Upper Product Review.

Hello Mates!

Quick review on my recent purchase from JSE Surplus.

I went through the Great Deals section of the market place. And judging from what was being said about them on that thread, I ordered a DTI 18inch Upper w/ railed gasblock and vltor VC-1.

Fast forward three days... I'm calling and emailing, nobody seems to call back. I just had a question about my order process. I called at different times of the day and kept leaving my phone number at the answering service.

ugh.

Two days later, the upper gets arrives. I was ecstatic at the arrival of my part. So I dove right in and opened the package, the upper was tightly wrapped and the package was loosely filled with those shipping peanuts.

I mount the upper and place my magpul MBUS on the railed block and wouldn't you know it- the gas block is lower than the upper reciever's rails. No biggie- I had ordered a rail system for the upper already anyhow.

Upon waiting for the rails, I got anxious and painted my forend. But upon reinstalling my handguards I realized my gasblock was crooked. It was canting to the left just a smidgen. I thought to myself, no biggie- again. i'm not mounting anything on the gasblock.

My rails arrived and my mood shifted. Until I started to install it ( a troy drop in battle rail.) I noticed that the stock handguards were extremely easy to remove. The delta ring shifted back with alot of ease, (my experiences in the military and those handguards was rather difficult- sometimes i wished i had that removal tool). Again, I thought- no biggie- the Troy Forend screws down solid anyways.

Then I noticed the next detail. Because the gasblock was off by a smidgen, so was the rail and of course so are my mbuses.

I'm not mad that they rushed the build.

I'm mad that they don't return calls.

photos to come.

Facebook

Weapon Image Portfolio

Need a reviewer for your product? PM me!

Last edited by palakaboy; 03-23-2011 at 12:20 AM..
Old 03-23-2011, 1:08 AM

Wow, this sucks! I bought one a few months ago and was satisfied. Ive only called once to see if there barrels were 556 or 223. They answered and seemed nice enough.

When i first got mine It seemed like my site block was canted to but after I put my rails on it gave me a better center line to judge by and it seemed ok. Im not saying thats whats up with yours. My gas block was the lower one too. I don't mind since I was planing to use the magpul mbus and your not supposed to mount them on the gas block anyways.

Anyways hope you and them can work it out and look forward to the pics.
Old 03-23-2011, 1:54 AM

I'm not sure how to show the straightness. I'll snap a pic of the gas tube tomorrow- it's a bit more obvious cause it's crooked inside the receiver.

Facebook

Weapon Image Portfolio

Old 03-23-2011, 2:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

fwiw, I dont think you wanna throw MBUS on a gas block.

Anywhoo, I see what you are getting at.

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 03-23-2011, 6:59 AM

The MBUS is a same plane sight. They are made to be used on a free float rail. They are not designed to be used on a gasblock. Other companies do make gasblock height flip sights. You don't want to mount any kind of sight or optic on a drop in rail. It will not stay zeroed because of slight movement in the rail. Drop in rails are for accessories.
Old 03-23-2011, 7:26 AM

i threw it on the gasblock for the first day- it's mounted on the drop in rails. but now that i've heard that it won't stay zeroed. well. damn.

Facebook

Weapon Image Portfolio

Old 03-23-2011, 8:36 AM

Your gas block is easily adjustable to turn it "straight". It's not pinned so just unscrew the screws that are holding it in place, turn it straight, add some loctite to the screw holes and re-screw them back in. No biggie. This will also fix your rail alignment as the gas port will straighten out the forearm "cup holder" (if it's triangular). If the forearm cup holder is circular, then you can just pull back the delta ring slightly and twist the quad rail until it is properly aligned.

As for the rail, yes....you cannot expect a non-free floated rail to enable a front sight to hold zero. No delta ring is strong enough to do that. I'd suggest getting a free floated rail to do what you are wanting to do. But it will take tools to do it yourself. If you dont have them or dont want to buy them, take it into a shop and have them do it for a few $$.

I have a JSE upper (16") and I love it....no problems.

My friend just ordered the same 18" that you have, but he got the A2 pinned front sight. This ensures a straight sight, so long as the pin slots in the barrel were drilled correctly. His exhibits no issues, but they did install a non-M4 barrel extension'ed barrel into an M4 upper, so I will need to dremel out a tad bit of the front bart of the extension. Not a deal breaker, IMO, but just a minor annoyance. An easy fix, anyways.

Good luck!

Last edited by goodlookin1; 03-23-2011 at 8:41 AM..
Old 03-23-2011, 9:21 AM

The Daniel Defense Omega 12 free float rail uses four set screws against the barrel nut, and the top half screws to the bottom -- no real smith work to be done beyond somehow removing that triangular or circular retainer sheetmetal behind the gas block. It's spendy and kind of heavy, but that's my target rifle anyway with the heavy barrel. There may be others, but I've got the Adams Arms piston on that one as well and this rail was known to work with it no modifications needed.
Old 03-23-2011, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

You get what you paid for.....buy cheap get cheap
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 03-23-2011, 9:52 AM

just found the problem: the barrel nut isn't torqued all the way or something and it's bending my gas tube. looks like I'll be needing an M4 wrench.

I've since mounted an aimpoint. I'm not fully worried about the back up
sights, as they're just that- back up.

I know I got what I paid for in terms of product
but good customer service is priceless. In my field, whether it's a $5 5x7 or a 7,000$ wedding you treat your clients with the utmost respect in valuing the time they took in contacting you.

Atleast I found my reason to go with a freefloat.

Facebook

Weapon Image Portfolio

Old 03-23-2011, 11:14 AM

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with them. I've ordered quite a few parts from them and I've got fast shipping so far. Everytime I've called them I've always had someone answer the phone and they have been great for me.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
Your gas block is easily adjustable to turn it "straight". It's not pinned so just unscrew the screws that are holding it in place, turn it straight, add some loctite to the screw holes and re-screw them back in. No biggie. This will also fix your rail alignment as the gas port will straighten out the forearm "cup holder" (if it's triangular). If the forearm cup holder is circular, then you can just pull back the delta ring slightly and twist the quad rail until it is properly aligned.
Good info, I didint know this myself. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21SF View Post
Says the proud glock owner...lol
Cheap don't always mean poor quality....

Last edited by hellraiser; 03-23-2011 at 1:09 PM..
Old 03-23-2011, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Have you tried am email through the website? (I am assuming so) Or maybe PM him on here.

I have asked questions through email and got a response in less than 24 hours.
Old 03-23-2011, 2:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Is this a used upper receiver? There appears to be a lot of wear marks and missing anodizing on that flat top.

www.riflegear.com
Old 03-23-2011, 2:43 PM

I bought an upper build from them last year and never had a problem getting someone on the phone. Especially after they sent me a duplicate upper a few days later by mistake. I ended up working out a deal since a buddy was in the market for an upper and saved everyone a bunch of time and shipping costs/reimbursement. Not sure if this is still true, but when I called it's one receptionist for two businesses, some sort of electronics company IIRC. Sort of threw me off the first time I called.
Old 03-23-2011, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
Is this a used upper receiver? There appears to be a lot of wear marks and missing anodizing on that flat top.
no. That's from my optic and some residue from something else.

I called today, they finally picked up. I suppose if there's someone there, they'll get it, but good luck getting a call back if you get the answer service.

yeah, it's a computer company or something else. but after she says that first company she sneaks in JSE Surplus.

The receptionist patches me through to lady who built my upper. she ensured me that i can do it myself and that there was no way this thing was crooked from her workbench. She assured me that I can fix whatever's wrong with it and that it's okay for the rail to be off.

um.

Facebook

Weapon Image Portfolio

Last edited by palakaboy; 03-23-2011 at 7:17 PM..
Old 03-23-2011, 7:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by palakaboy View Post
The receptionist patches me through to lady who built my upper. she ensured me that i can do it myself and that there was no way this thing was crooked from her workbench. She assured me that I can fix whatever's wrong with it and that it's okay for the rail to be off.

um.
Well...there is the problem.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 03-23-2011, 8:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21SF View Post
My JSE built upper has done perfectly well for me after about 1500 rounds.

I also had no problem with communicating with them via email

PM me for electrical work
Old 03-23-2011, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palakaboy View Post

um.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfields View Post
Well...there is the problem.
Sounds like you dealt with Margie. I ordered my upper with her and I think she built it as well. I'm totally satisfied with my JSE upper. When it comes to service, performance, fit & finish, I feel I got my money's worth
Old 03-24-2011, 1:45 PM

I got frustrated enough to take care of it myself last night.

it'll be a cold day in the spiritual hell before margie ever touches anything i own ever again.

Facebook

Weapon Image Portfolio

Last edited by palakaboy; 03-25-2011 at 2:28 AM..