Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default looking for plate carrier advice (calling all mall ninjas)

ok so i am not sure if this is the right place for this but i am looking for a good plate carrier for around $100 i would like something like the one below but it is a blackwater and it is over $200 for just the plate carrier (way out of my budget) any recomendations with pics and prices would be great
thanks
Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Banned

The only way to go with a used one or an airsoft which will be nearly the same, but have less strength due to cheaper threading on the stitching and the material will be thinner. I have held and examined ones at airsoft stores. they are well made, and takes a trained eye to spot the differences. I couldn't tell until they were pointed out to me. I don't use a plate carrier so I wouldn't know. The sales guy had a actual one with a real plate to prove they were nearly identical.

If you are looking for cheap and real... buy used. If you are looking for new and real save your cash and buy real. If you are looking for new and NEARLY as good, airsoft. Airsoft scopes, lights and crap is different then gear. Avoid airsoft scopes and crap like that...it will break on you. I use an Eagle holster and its just as good as a Blackhawk. UTG I would aviod...lol thats way too cheap. Condor and Eagle are acceptable in my eyes for webbing gear.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower View Post
The only way to go with a used one or an airsoft which will be nearly the same, but have less strength due to cheaper threading on the stitching and the material will be thinner. I have held and examined ones at airsoft stores. they are well made, and takes a trained eye to spot the differences. I couldn't tell until they were pointed out to me. I don't use a plate carrier so I wouldn't know. The sales guy had a actual one with a real plate to prove they were nearly identical.

If you are looking for cheap and real... buy used. If you are looking for new and real save your cash and buy real. If you are looking for new and NEARLY as good, airsoft. Airsoft scopes, lights and crap is different then gear. Avoid airsoft scopes and crap like that...it will break on you. I use an Eagle holster and its just as good as a Blackhawk. UTG I would aviod...lol thats way too cheap. Condor and Eagle are acceptable in my eyes for webbing gear.
the condor rigs are ok then i take it?
i am looking at a condor rig rig now
Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM

http://www.skdtac.com/Plate_Carriers_s/15309.htm

bulletproofme.com

Ive got the eagle with cummerbund. Its nice but its fairly bulky compared to the expensive mayflower concealable and other similar ones. I dont have plates yet. Its a huge investment im not quite ready for yet.

Additionally, just spend a good amount of money the first time on something like the eagle or pig. The vest is the cheapest part! I got my eagle with 3a soft armor for $300. Great deal but its a few years old.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

It depends what you want it for. If you want to put real armor in the stuff in hopes of saving your life, forget it -the cheap junk is just that.

I once put my real armor inside a Condor IBA copy. The Condor Interceptor vest copy is identical at first glance to a real point blank interceptor vest.

The soft armor did not fit at first because real IBA armor attaches via hook and loop clips over the shoulder, and the Condor copy had the shoulders sewn shut. I then cut open the shoulders, and put the armor in. It fit okay.

Bad news when I put my Esapi plates in. The rear plate was okay - the front plate sagged because there was no internal support - it was 3" low and covered my stomach instead of my vitals.

This is why the real stuff costs money. The Condor stuff is for airsoft and even though it looks identical, it really is not.

If you have a $100 torso, buy $100 plate carrier. Putting real armor inside a fake carrier might just get you killed.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Depends on what you are going for. Here is a simple front only $200 from US Palm.

http://www.us-palm.com/index.php?opt...=product&id=10

And front & back set for $400
http://www.us-palm.com/index.php?opt...=product&id=28
Old 03-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Look at the Ares Armor stuff. Pretty affordable carriers there.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Calguns Addict

what are you going to use it for? dress up or actual usage. If the latter, dont skimp on cheap products...seriously.

ETA: the Diamondback Tactical FAPC is a good no frills plate carrier with molle front& back.

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/p...en-II,34,6.htm

Last edited by tomd1584; 03-22-2011 at 12:08 PM..
Old 03-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

I've run into the same issue as the OP. If I were to buy a plate carrier I would like it to be of a higher quality than condor or UTG, however, I don't have the funds to be throwing stacks of cash down on an expensive product. I looked at at things like Voodoo tactical and found decent looking carriers for around 100 bucks but I haven't found much in the way of good or bad words towards the company.

For the OP I would say for sure to stay away from Condor or UTG, however I sympathize with the fact of not being about to afford the good stuff.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 PM

Condor is fine for most use. If you're a cop using it a LOT for entry... get something else. If you plan on using it for SHTF and you aren't some sorta crazy ninja warrior its probably fine there.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd1584 View Post
what are you going to use it for? dress up or actual usage. If the latter, dont skimp on cheap products...seriously.
lol well i am not in the military and unless shtf i doubt i will ever use it for real i am looking for one because i want one i have no real need or use for one at this point in time but still i want one so i am looking
i have a chest rig and it is cool and does everything i have ever needed it to do but i just want a plate carrier
maybe i will just have to save up and get the blackwater one
Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 PM

ohh, in that case just get an airsoft one and you dont even need to get armor! Done deal.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If your looking for a legit rig check out 5.11's vests.

Hear and read great reviews and looking to maybe pick me up one in the near future.

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 03-22-2011, 12:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolixsurf View Post
ohh, in that case just get an airsoft one and you dont even need to get armor! Done deal.
i dont want an airsoft one
just because i am not planing on trusting my life to it doesnt mean i want something that is junk i still want a quality
if i have to i can save my cash and buy the blackwater one i want i have never looked into plate carriers until now and i had no idea how expensive they were
Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces View Post
Look at the Ares Armor stuff. Pretty affordable carriers there.
Checked out their site and if the products are of decent quality, their prices are very affordable
Old 03-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I have this.

It can carry a plate. Then when you need to run light, just get rid of the plate and it'll turn into a chest rig.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Taco?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces View Post
Taco?

mmmm....taco....
Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 PM

chalupa
Old 03-22-2011, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stphnman20 View Post
I have this.

It can carry a plate. Then when you need to run light, just get rid of the plate and it'll turn into a chest rig.
That one is nice, i REALLY like the mayflower ones imo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
efficiency in the kitchen.
Old 03-22-2011, 3:01 PM

These plates and body armor threads, the concerns are range accidents right?

I'm a little scared about doing the outdoor range thing now that its in its busy season.
Please tell me there are vigilante range officials ready to drill sergeant bark at anyone being careless and dangerous.
Old 03-22-2011, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackandblood View Post

I'm a little scared about doing the outdoor range thing now that its in its busy season.
Please tell me there are vigilante range officials ready to drill sergeant bark at anyone being careless and dangerous.

I actually feel more nervous about getting shot at the range than at a tactical class. How sad is that? There are so many unexperienced people at my local ranges it drives me crazy.
Old 03-22-2011, 3:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolixsurf View Post
I actually feel more nervous about getting shot at the range than at a tactical class. How sad is that? There are so many unexperienced people at my local ranges it drives me crazy.
the range i go to is big on safety
Old 03-22-2011, 3:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
These plates and body armor threads, the concerns are range accidents right?.
i am not buying one to wear at the range i am buying it for my own amusement i will almost never wear something like this to the range because i dont want to get laughed at
i might wear it as a joke or to look super cool mall ninja when i go shooting with friends out on some private land up in the hills or i will wear it if i attend a tactical carbine class but other than that i dont think i am going to wear it every time i go shooting

Quote:
I'm a little scared about doing the outdoor range thing now that its in its busy season..
i always shoot at an outdoor range i hate indoor ranges because most wont let you shoot rifles and most dont go past 50 yards i like to shoot 100+ yardds and i also like my 300 win mag (last indoor range i asked if i could shoot my 300 at laughed at me and said it would go through their wall)

Quote:
at the range i go to if you cant fallow the rules the range master will kick your azz out so fast your head will spin they have rules and cease fires if you cant fallow the rules they will tell you to leave (if i dont tell you to leave first)
Old 03-22-2011, 3:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Pala.
Old 03-22-2011, 3:32 PM
Veteran Member

Me personally, I'd just get the real deal and call it a day, no point in wasting money on some fake stuff when you'll probably decide afterward to get the real deal. My suggestion is the PIG. I'd rather not have something than have a fake of it that won't be able to perform.

Last edited by rero360; 03-22-2011 at 3:35 PM..
Old 03-22-2011, 3:32 PM

80 dollars at cheaperthandirt.com http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE218-1.html
Old 03-22-2011, 4:21 PM

tactical tailor's rigs are on sale right now. A little bit more than the blackhawk, but well worth the money. Last carrier you'll ever buy.
Old 03-22-2011, 4:42 PM

Blackhawk makes awesome stuff. Check their website. There are deals to be had if you catch it at the right time
Old 03-22-2011, 6:43 PM

I'm going to field a bunch of shit for this and really I don't care.

Condor is nicer then "Airsoft"

Ducks and covers.
Old 03-22-2011, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

Worth saving up a little more for
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/STR...ng,1698,83.htm
Old 03-22-2011, 6:53 PM

I currently run a Safariland molle carrier for softs with an Impact ST front plate.

We were just issued SAPI's and I have a Diamondback for that. I would like to incorporate both so I am looking to drop $$ on an Eagle CIRAS Land or their LEO carrier.

After about two years of field use, entries, long gun ranges and other training...the Safariland is sagging a bit...

The only issue I see with the CIRAS is the lack of soft Velcro for the Police markings...

Good luck in your quest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
If you want a shotty, why not buy a Remy or a Mossy? That's what my mommy shoots.
Old 03-22-2011, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanOT View Post
tactical tailor's rigs are on sale right now. A little bit more than the blackhawk, but well worth the money. Last carrier you'll ever buy.
Agreed! Tactical Taylor makes good stuff.

~ Norman Vincent Peale
Old 03-22-2011, 7:08 PM

Take a look at BDS Tactical.
Old 03-22-2011, 7:11 PM

I just picked up a carrier and plates. For no other reason than I thought it would be cool to have, and that I had some money burning a hole in my pocket. I picked up an SKD P.I.G. and then sourced out some plates. The plates weigh about 6-7lbs each. The pig holds them right where they need to be and you hardly notice the weight (at least not when you're wearing it in your house, put it on and go for a hike or take a carbine class and I'm sure you'll notice the weight real quick). I havn't tried any other plate carriers so my suggestion is biased. Save up and spend a little more for quality. The pig with the elastic cummerbund is $250 and with the molle cummerbund is $300 plus they are in stock right now. They have 4 colors in stock and when they sell out they take a while to get more in.
Old 03-22-2011, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

For the female calgunners
Old 03-22-2011, 7:37 PM

Ive got an authentic Eagle scalable pc if you wanna buy it. PM me.
Old 03-22-2011, 8:24 PM

If you can't afford a $200 plate carrier you cant afford the plates to go with, so why would you need one?

I'm all for doing what you want with your money but this doesn't make sense to me. Don't expect top quality for under $100.
MY AR Profile #1
Old 03-22-2011, 8:26 PM
Veteran Member

VG you should check out the prices at surplus and tactical stores. Hit up the surplus stores first. Shop around you can find a good quality plate carrier for -$200.

Blackhawk makes good plate carriers.
Old 03-22-2011, 9:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukus View Post
If you can't afford a $200 plate carrier you cant afford the plates to go with, so why would you need one?

I'm all for doing what you want with your money but this doesn't make sense to me. Don't expect top quality for under $100.
Please see post #11