Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-23-2006, 3:11 PM

Default All this talk about locking up your firearms makes me wonder.

Do you have enough insurance to cover your losses if they do get stolen?

Most policies only cover about $1000 unless you add a rider to them.
Old 10-23-2006, 3:30 PM
Veteran Member

I do, made sure on my insurance quote that they covered up to $50K on "other items" (which covers guns).
Old 10-23-2006, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Freak
I do, made sure on my insurance quote that they covered up to $50K on "other items" (which covers guns).
I have Allstate and the specify firearms in the policy rather that "other".
Old 10-23-2006, 9:01 PM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK
I have Allstate and the specify firearms in the policy rather that "other".

I, too have Allstate & they require me to insure my firearms under a separate heading as they will replace them at full market value, if they are lost in a fire or theft. I wonder what other companies' policies are like?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:22 PM

I have Farmers Insurance.

Around 10+ years ago, after a discussion with my agent, I raised my personal property protection to cover my gun collection - under the personal assets column.

I was robbed last year. Found out that Farmers only covers $1000 in guns. So I only was covered for that amount. They did have a record of me raising my coverage, but they stated that they changed the guns amount (in the past decade) to only a thousand without a special rider. I don't remember them telling me that.

I have increased to $10,000 in guns with a special rider - but the limit is 2k per gun.

It would be smart to find out what your coverage is before you really need to know.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Lloyd's of London Personal Article Floater - nothing can beat it. If you choose, all firearms are scheduled individually at full replacement cost, with no deductible, which also includes full coverage if the entire collection suffers a loss; coverage for theft is included. (You may also lump them at a certain value without a schedule). This includes "out of vault" coverage as well - for any one or combination of firearms. No coinsurance clause and no bullcrap. Period.

1945 Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1180581

1968 2.5" Colt Python & 1936 Smith & Wesson Pre-War "Registered" Magnum
:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1183318

1934 National Duolian Steel Resonator Guitar: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1172113

Last edited by CALI-gula; 10-23-2006 at 10:30 PM..
Old 10-23-2006, 11:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI-gula
Lloyd's of London Personal Article Floater - nothing can beat it. If you choose, all firearms are scheduled individually at full replacement cost, with no deductible, which also includes full coverage if the entire collection suffers a loss; coverage for theft is included. (You may also lump them at a certain value without a schedule). This includes "out of vault" coverage as well - for any one or combination of firearms. No coinsurance clause and no bullcrap. Period. .
Do you have examples of approx yearly price vs amt of coverage?

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 10-24-2006, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbutthead
I have Farmers Insurance.

Around 10+ years ago, after a discussion with my agent, I raised my personal property protection to cover my gun collection - under the personal assets column.

I was robbed last year. Found out that Farmers only covers $1000 in guns. So I only was covered for that amount. They did have a record of me raising my coverage, but they stated that they changed the guns amount (in the past decade) to only a thousand without a special rider. I don't remember them telling me that.

I have increased to $10,000 in guns with a special rider - but the limit is 2k per gun.

It would be smart to find out what your coverage is before you really need to know.
I guess i'll have to look into this too, as I have Farmers and my agent told us to document what is there(i did it on paper & video)and as to value and it would be covered.Now I have to call him again...

"If the law is an a** , people will sodomize it"
Old 10-24-2006, 9:48 AM
Part time Emperor

Wasn't one of the older members here an insurance guy? I forgot this name......he's the one who jumped up & down in joy when Iggster told Wes that DOJ would list in 2 weeks.
Old 10-24-2006, 9:59 AM

Allstate is notoriously bad for paying out to policy holders. They also employ companies notorious for massively undervaluing policy holder's property when filing a claim for a loss. No way I'd trust my gun collection to them (or a moped for that matter).

I found this out when I started doing research on how to properly threaten them when I couldn't get an adjuster to pay my claim, or even return my calls after an Allstate motorist's vehicle collided with mine. (turns out the CA Ins Comish is not to be trifled with. )

My policy with State Farm covers them...but probably not enough due to recent purchases.

Interested in this Lloyd's policy...

Last edited by luvtolean; 10-24-2006 at 10:03 AM..
Old 10-24-2006, 11:25 AM

Regarding the Farmers Agent and my gun coverage. I kept no records of the conversation. I wasn't even sure who I spoke with - 2 agents in that office.

They claimed no memory of the conversation. The only thing I had in my favor was the increase in coverage in the policy. My loss was two pistols. So I may have been out around a grand (they really lowballed the value of my two pistols too - a Colt Gold Cup FN 24835 and a Luger P08 byf 41 4628)

I had enough problems with other complications by that time, so I just bent over and took it.

I can only suggest keeping records of your insurance - including who, what and where.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbutthead
Regarding the Farmers Agent and my gun coverage. I kept no records of the conversation. I wasn't even sure who I spoke with - 2 agents in that office.

They claimed no memory of the conversation. The only thing I had in my favor was the increase in coverage in the policy. My loss was two pistols. So I may have been out around a grand (they really lowballed the value of my two pistols too - a Colt Gold Cup FN 24835 and a Luger P08 byf 41 4628)

I had enough problems with other complications by that time, so I just bent over and took it.

I can only suggest keeping records of your insurance - including who, what and where.
Farmers sucks. We had them when our house burned down and doing anything was like pulling teeth. They tried to devalue the cost of labor. Buttheads.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:58 AM

With the companies I deal with(I am a Insurance Broker) the guns must be scheduled separately from other property and even then there is generally a limit of 1000 or so.
Old 10-25-2006, 3:56 PM

Doesn't the NRA provide some kind of insurance?
Old 10-25-2006, 4:26 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA_FAL
Doesn't the NRA provide some kind of insurance?
and it only takes about 5 seconds to find it on the website...

Quote:
$1000 of ArmsCare coverage with your NRA membership. This plan covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage. For special provisions and limitations of the ArmsCare Plan click here. ArmsCare

ArmsCare Plus has been created especially for NRA members to provide extra protection for your legal firearms.

If the total value of your firearms and accessories is over $1000, this policy is what you are looking for. ArmsCare Plus provides up to $1,000,000 additional protection for your firearms including the $1000 protection you receive with your NRA membership.

This coverage is provided for all your legal firearms and covered accessories for the low annual cost of $1.66 per $100 of coverage.

And there is always what John Ross says:
http://www.john-ross.net/insurance.htm
Quote:
What you want is not separate firearms coverage but a homeowners policy that DOES NOT HAVE A GUN EXCLUSION. Get "Replacement cost contents, all risks" on your homeowners policy from a company that sells a policy without a gun exclusion.