Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-19-2011, 1:28 AM
jkonquer jkonquer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 551
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default Colt rimfire 22lr

So i just picked up my first Colt 22lr rimfire opsec. this gun is probably the best quality and realistic 22lr replica ar-15's out there.
However everything is good except the magazine. maybe it is the california 10rd magazine, but this thing is damn near impossible to take off. especially when quickly swapping out the magazine.
i did spray some lub and it did help a bit. but not by much.

just wondering if everyone is having this issue with 10rd magazine or just me.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-19-2011, 7:01 PM
ClayW ClayW is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

We get a lot of those coming through work, I don't think I've seen one yet that will drop a magazine just by pressing the magazine release, you always have to use a little tugging to get it out. How difficult is it?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-19-2011, 7:10 PM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
retired Goon
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: San Bernardino County
Posts: 23,041
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

The Colt licensed Umarex (airsoft/bb gun company) to make it.
In turn, Umarex used the experts at Walther (which they own) to help make it.
Euros do not like "drop free" magazine designs.

H&K licensed Umarex to make a .22LR of the HK416.
Umarex took all the compliants about the Colt/Umarex M4 .22LR and took them to Walther, who then made changes to address those complaints.
Umarex then applied those changes to the .22LR HK416.

H&K/Umarex HK416 .22LR = product improved Colt/Umarex M4 .22LR.
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 03-19-2011 at 7:15 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-19-2011, 11:14 PM
iamchrispartida's Avatar
iamchrispartida iamchrispartida is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 56
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

I held both of these at TURNER'S today, and the HK felt great. Didn't notice a feisty magazine though, in any of them. Good info (below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
The Colt licensed Umarex (airsoft/bb gun company) to make it.
In turn, Umarex used the experts at Walther (which they own) to help make it.
Euros do not like "drop free" magazine designs.

H&K licensed Umarex to make a .22LR of the HK416.
Umarex took all the compliants about the Colt/Umarex M4 .22LR and took them to Walther, who then made changes to address those complaints.
Umarex then applied those changes to the .22LR HK416.

H&K/Umarex HK416 .22LR = product improved Colt/Umarex M4 .22LR.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Excelsior Excelsior is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California, thanks be to God!
Posts: 4,216
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonquer View Post
So i just picked up my first Colt 22lr rimfire opsec. this gun is probably the best quality and realistic 22lr replica ar-15's out there.
However everything is good except the magazine. maybe it is the california 10rd magazine, but this thing is damn near impossible to take off. especially when quickly swapping out the magazine.
i did spray some lub and it did help a bit. but not by much.

just wondering if everyone is having this issue with 10rd magazine or just me.
I don't think that's true. They feel "loose" to me and the ones I have shot were not as accurate the S&W or the SIG 522.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-2011, 7:32 AM
jkonquer jkonquer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 551
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

as far as most realistic copy goes. i think colt takes the cake. ofcourse that doesn't mean its better. Rifleman did a test on 22LR and some of the best as far as accuracy was the S&W and colt and 522 with similar results. For me i just didn't like the polymer body on a rifle.

I tried to mess around with the magazine today. and i notice that it was much easier if you pull the magazine straight down, i mean Straight down. lol
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-2011, 9:47 AM
jackandblood's Avatar
jackandblood jackandblood is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brea
Posts: 1,126
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

ive had mine for awhile. Mag wont gravity drop but comes off easily. but hey, its a .22lr, whats really cool is you can load each mag in seconds, and without any possible deformation of 22lr relatively soft bullet come rd. 10
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-2011, 9:56 AM
jackandblood's Avatar
jackandblood jackandblood is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brea
Posts: 1,126
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkonquer View Post
as far as most realistic copy goes. i think colt takes the cake. ofcourse that doesn't mean its better. Rifleman did a test on 22LR and some of the best as far as accuracy was the S&W and colt and 522 with similar results. For me i just didn't like the polymer body on a rifle.

I tried to mess around with the magazine today. and i notice that it was much easier if you pull the magazine straight down, i mean Straight down. lol
The flashhider that centers the inner barrel to the rest of the rifle can become loose after you've field stripped the m4 rimfire. You can crank down on the flash hider as the threads are robust, but I prefer not to. i apply a dab of superglue on the male threads. not sure about locktite or teflon tape given heat after hundreds of rds. just a heads up for new m4 rimfire owners.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-20-2011, 9:58 AM
Mamluke Mamluke is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,161
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackandblood View Post
ive had mine for awhile. Mag wont gravity drop but comes off easily. but hey, its a .22lr, whats really cool is you can load each mag in seconds, and without any possible deformation of 22lr relatively soft bullet come rd. 10
The mags are a tight fit at first, after a few reloads; they'll do the gravity drop with ease. I keep the mag sleeve clean, but not oiled! From my experience with both the M4 and HK416; these rifles do not like a lot of gun oil.
My 2 cents...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-20-2011, 10:56 AM
jkonquer jkonquer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 551
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

yeah i used the dry rem oil. so it should be ok.

as far as the "flashhider" are u referring to the flash suppressor on the front of the barrel? I was able to field strip without loosening the flash suppressor. i wonder if it makes difference
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-20-2011, 6:12 PM
jackandblood's Avatar
jackandblood jackandblood is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Brea
Posts: 1,126
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

hmm. goto the official site and watch their videos. They recommend loosening the muzzle accessory prior to punching out the main pin. its in the manual as well. there have been instances of damage to the outer receiver shell when this procedure is not followed.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-20-2011, 6:19 PM
L4D's Avatar
L4D L4D is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,580
iTrader: 76 / 100%
Default

Mine drop free. Check to see if your trigger guard is hanging up the. You could sand the mags where ever you find the tight spot.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-22-2011, 1:19 PM
chucksolo69 chucksolo69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 388
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I have the SIG, GSG-5 and the Colt M4. All are quite accurate. Depends on the shooter really. On my three examples each will cut the center out of a target at 25 yards scoped. The Colt will do it with open sights. I'm sure the S&W is just as accurate, but to say it is more accurate than the Colt is baloney.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-24-2011, 6:20 PM
M4rk's Avatar
M4rk M4rk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 146
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

i had an option of choosing either the colt M4 or the HK416. the Hk was 150$ more, and the dealer said that the pistol grip feels better, and the buttstock is better. but then again he said that the M4 will be a classic, they will stop production and will be a hard to get item in the future, rite after he said that... i had to go with the M4.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-24-2011, 6:24 PM
Mamluke Mamluke is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orange County
Posts: 1,161
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4rk View Post
i had an option of choosing either the colt M4 or the HK416. the Hk was 150$ more, and the dealer said that the pistol grip feels better, and the buttstock is better. but then again he said that the M4 will be a classic, they will stop production and will be a hard to get item in the future, rite after he said that... i had to go with the M4.
What a salesman that guy was; he probably had more M4 on hand and so he's pushing that first... Just kidding lol...lol...

Congrats, I had the M4, loved it...and now I have the H&K... a bit heavier; but they're both great rifles.... enjoy!...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-24-2011, 6:28 PM
M4rk's Avatar
M4rk M4rk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 146
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamluke View Post
What a salesman that guy was; he probably had more M4 on hand and so he's pushing that first... Just kidding lol...lol...

Congrats, I had the M4, loved it...and now I have the H&K... a bit heavier; but they're both great rifles.... enjoy!...
haha thanx! but ya... he was actually pushing me to go with the HK. maybe later on i will buy it, but rite now.. im tryin to get a mossberg 500 pursuader.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 8:46 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.