Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Default Liberty Safes-Good, Bad?

Saw this at Lowe's tonight.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_292952-10283...&storeId=10151

Model # CE12-BK 20 minute fire-rated

I don't like that it's made in China, (only the "Deluxe" models by LIberty are made in USA) but I also can't spend $800+ on a safe right now.

This is $427 and if I open a Lowe's credit card and use that, I would get 10% off and 18 months w/ no interest to pay for it! I figure I'll just pay it off in a month or two, but nice to know I have 18 months if my dog suddenly decides to give me some big Vet bill or something. (They've done it before, and they have horrible timing.)

Anybody have one of these? Worth the money?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 PM

Do some checking first, I'm having the same issue right I'm gonna spend about $1k and I gonna buy American made safe, most are made in China only a few are made in the states, even the ones that say made in the USA. Are in fact have all the steel and parts made from China and assembled here in the States and called MADE IN USA.
Old 03-19-2011, 6:03 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, if I could justify (OK, talk my wife into letting me) $1K, my decision would be a lot easier, or at least I'd have more options.

Liberty Centurion? Anybody?
Old 03-19-2011, 7:10 AM

I have two Liberty safes and have been happy with them.
"[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)
Old 03-19-2011, 7:36 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

I have the liberty centurion 20 gun safe and I am happy, just make sure you bolt it down.
Old 03-19-2011, 8:24 AM

Nothing wrong with the Liberty Centurion safes. I have a few friends who own them and they are happy with them. CA DOJ approved and will keep kids and snatch-&-grabs out. If I remember correctly of the four centurion safe models the first two are made in China and the next two are US made. Perfectly adequate security for your firearms. Even better if you can hide the safe in a closet or otherwise out of site. Bolt it down if you can.
You could always buy this safe now and use it until you outgrow it or have more funds and want a bigger/better safe, then use this one for ammo. Thats what I did with my old small apartment sized safe after I bought my 32x24 Sturdy a few months ago. I could have easily sold my old one if I wanted to but I like having two safes now.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 03-19-2011, 8:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Whatever you decide to buy, make sure it is big enough.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg safe.jpg (85.7 KB, 759 views)
Old 03-19-2011, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWDHD? View Post
Nothing wrong with the Liberty Centurion safes. I have a few friends who own them and they are happy with them. CA DOJ approved and will keep kids and snatch-&-grabs out. If I remember correctly of the four centurion safe models the first two are made in China and the next two are US made. Perfectly adequate security for your firearms. Even better if you can hide the safe in a closet or otherwise out of site. Bolt it down if you can.
You could always buy this safe now and use it until you outgrow it or have more funds and want a bigger/better safe, then use this one for ammo.
Thats what I did with my old small apartment sized safe after I bought my 32x24 Sturdy a few months ago. I could have easily sold my old one if I wanted to but I like having two safes now.
That's pretty much my exact plan, although I haven't told my wife about the "Buy a bigger/better safe" part just yet.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll go spend some money today.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 AM

Word of warning.

Years ago, I bought the CE 12 safe from a Liberty dealer. Wanted something bigger, but it was the only model that would fit in a very tight spot. Bought it, had it delivered, installed, bolted down. All is good, right? Wrong. Four months after I had it, the dial started getting a little gritty to turn. The next day it locked up without warning. Called the Liberty dealer, and this guy was the best. Had a locksmith out within 48 hours, and completely replaced the old lock with an S&G. I have been happy ever since, and have bought a much higher end Liberty safe since (this one only holds ammo now). Liberty lost a lot of money on that deal (I know what the locksmith charged Liberty), so I'm surprised they still carry that one.

Beware if you get this model, as I am not sure if Loew's would stand behind it like Liberty. I don't have a beef that it is made in China, only that the lock was crap. Check out the Liberty website directly. This model is the only one without a S&G lock. Good luck.

Michael
Old 03-19-2011, 10:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronco View Post
Whatever you decide to buy, make sure it is big enough.

That's just for your ammo, right?

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

The older Liberty safes, like my Cannon I just sold, were / are excellent safes, made in America. I know it's hard to spend money (especially when it gets over $1000) for a safe but it's never been more true then ever, "you get what you pay for".

It took me awhile to save up but, I did my homework and just spent $1,500 for a new Sturdy Safe, model 3224. Best money I ever spent. It's my 3rd safe (I had an early Browning Pro Steel before my Cannon AE22). What sold me on the Sturdy were the 7 gauge bodies, solid steel doors and lock ups that make a coffin seem loose. Plus being a flag waver, I liked the fact the safe is made in America by Americans using 100% American made parts! And the service was outstanding BTW.

Please don't get me wrong, the safes that are popping up at Sam' s Club, Costco, etc. are a good start. But put off buying a couple guns, save up the coin and step up to a higher quality safe like a Sturdy or the Browning Pro Steel silver line as soon as you can. They're not a purchase, they're an investment!

Good Luck.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:18 AM

And tell the wife when you go on vacation you can store all her Jewlery in it......piece of mind when you return home.

Check out the classifieds for slightly used one in your area....I bought a 6 month old Liberty from a guy moving out of the state for $0.50 on the dollar.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

OP I have that safe you're inquiring about. Decent safe for the price, definitely needs to be bolted down though since it only weighs 250lbs.

It's a bit small though for rifles, luckily for me I'm more of a handgun guy.
Old 03-19-2011, 1:20 PM

I have a Liberty Presidental series that is Great & Beautiful.

I'm MUCH MORE Conservative NOW!

Expect the Best, but prepare for the Worst.
Old 03-19-2011, 1:24 PM

I have that exact safe. Never had a problem with it. I've also pulled the inside panel off the door and taken a look at the lock mechanism. Seems fairly solid and well-built. I've never had a problem with the safe.

It's more than functional and it was small enough to bolt down in my closet. It holds everything I need to put in there without any problem.

--B
Old 03-20-2011, 2:23 PM
Veteran Member

Default Woooo-Hooooo!!

Ok, now that I've got it home I have a question.

Do you guys through-bolt with nuts and washers, (maybe even a steel plate) under the house or just lag-bolt into the floorboards?

I know which one is better, but I also know which involves crawling around with spiders and bumping my head a lot.
Old 03-20-2011, 2:50 PM

I would thru bolt it with either a piece of heavy plywood, or steel on the bottom. Lag bolts can pull thru pretty easy. As far as the safe there was a locksmith that posted a few years ago, that said any commercial safe he could get into in about20-30 minutes. I remember him saying you would have to spend cosiderable money to have a buglar proof safe. Most safes keep the kids and rookies out, which is all most will need.
Old 03-20-2011, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipkiller View Post
Ok, now that I've got it home I have a question.

Do you guys through-bolt with nuts and washers, (maybe even a steel plate) under the house or just lag-bolt into the floorboards?

I know which one is better, but I also know which involves crawling around with spiders and bumping my head a lot.
This

Old 03-20-2011, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think that'll work so good in wood.
Old 03-20-2011, 5:13 PM

I've had the larger 20ft. Centurion for a few years now and it is great. No problems with the dial or anything. I saw that Lowe's is selling it for $727. I bought mine directly from Liberty at a local store. It was on sale for $600 out the door during a gun show.
My advice would be to find the biggest safe you can afford and then buy the model just above it . YOU WILL OUTGROW IT!!!
Happy safe hunting.
Old 03-20-2011, 6:27 PM

I'd save that money and add more to it down the road when you can. Get a bigger one like a Liberty Lincoln then store all your guns, ammo, important papers, passports, jewelry, etc. in it. The Lowes Liberty safe is a little small and only 20 minute fire rated. It can also be carried off easily once the bolts are cracked out of the concrete. A much bigger safe takes much more time, effort, and heavy machinery to take away. Every year Liberty dealers have a sale and sell off blemished safes at really low prices. Might have a big scratch or a dent but it would take $500 of the price. They also sell used safes that people turn in for a bigger one. Some good deals can be had. Regards
Old 03-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwdiy View Post
I have that exact safe. Never had a problem with it. I've also pulled the inside panel off the door and taken a look at the lock mechanism. Seems fairly solid and well-built. I've never had a problem with the safe.

It's more than functional and it was small enough to bolt down in my closet. It holds everything I need to put in there without any problem.

--B
I haven't taken this out of the box yet, do you happen to recall what size bolts you used to bolt it to the floor?
Old 03-21-2011, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipkiller View Post
I haven't taken this out of the box yet, do you happen to recall what size bolts you used to bolt it to the floor?
I don't recall offhand, but my condo sits on a concrete slab. I drilled into the slab and sunk some redhead anchors in there, then ran the bolts and washers.

If your house has a crawlspace I'd go all the way through the floor and through some nice, long 2x4s on the underside. Lag-bolts or redheads ain't gonna cut it in a wood floor, you'd be able to yank those things out without any problem.

If you go to the trouble of bolting it down, it's best to do it right the first time.

--B
Old 03-21-2011, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwdiy View Post
I don't recall offhand, but my condo sits on a concrete slab. I drilled into the slab and sunk some redhead anchors in there, then ran the bolts and washers.

If your house has a crawlspace I'd go all the way through the floor and through some nice, long 2x4s on the underside. Lag-bolts or redheads ain't gonna cut it in a wood floor, you'd be able to yank those things out without any problem.

If you go to the trouble of bolting it down, it's best to do it right the first time.

--B
Yeah I'm on sticks with a crawlspace, I'll be under there soon.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2011, 8:37 PM

Do yourself a favor when you use bolts w/washers and nuts and go into the crawlspace. countersink the nuts and put a thin piece of plywood over them to prevent falling out. Then when you need to move, you can just unscrew the bolts from up top and not have to go under the house again. Just leave the reinforcements, nuts and washers under the floor and buy some new ones.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Default OK, I feel better

Safe is in and bolted through the floor with grade 8 1/2" bolts and steel backing plate underneath.

Last edited by whipkiller; 01-05-2012 at 12:06 PM..
Old 03-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

Default Last line of defense

Oh and if you manage to get into my safe, there's a surprise waiting for you inside.

Last edited by whipkiller; 01-05-2012 at 12:06 PM..
Old 03-30-2011, 6:49 AM
Calguns Addict

i have the liberty colonial 23 cu ft version. got it years back so unsure if made in u.s. vs. china. i'm pretty happy with it.
Old 03-30-2013, 7:10 PM

Dear gun friend. Thank you for posting the tips. I am looking for some advice on safes. I was told that a jewelry safe is more secure than a gun safe. Do you have any insight on this? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!
Fl
Old 03-30-2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida View Post
Dear gun friend. Thank you for posting the tips. I am looking for some advice on safes. I was told that a jewelry safe is more secure than a gun safe. Do you have any insight on this? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!
Fl
Gun safes are generally residental security containers aka RSC. They're not really "Safes". Gun safes generally have walls that are approximately 1/8" and thinner. "Jewelry Safes" otherwise TL rated safes can have walls starting at 1" thick. That's thicker than in the doors of most gun safes.

That being said, any quality RSC, mid grade or better from well known American made manufacturers, secured properly to the floor, will be nearly impossible to break into with just a couple of crowbars.

Here's a good video. This gentleman is great at showing why some safes cost what they do.

Last edited by UserM4; 03-30-2013 at 8:13 PM..
Old 03-30-2013, 8:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakdawg View Post
I have two Liberty safes and have been happy with them.
Ditto, but all gun safes are really just easy to break in steel cabinets

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 03-31-2013, 2:20 AM

Something is better then nothing. Upgrade later when funds allow.
Old 03-31-2013, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTE View Post

Check out the classifieds for slightly used one in your area....I bought a 6 month old Liberty from a guy moving out of the state for $0.50 on the dollar.
Craigslist is great. I got a really good deal on a one year old Liberty from a pot shop going out of business.