Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-24-2016, 5:43 AM
Bainter1212's Avatar
Bainter1212 Bainter1212 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,690
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default Any cartridge collectors here?

Hi all,
Was recently given a box of old shotguns shells. Looks like they are all very old paper hulled shells.

Most of them are 16 gauge but there is one box of 12s as well. All the shells appear to have been stored well and look almost new.

Any reason not to shoot these? Are they valuable to cartridge collectors? I collect guns, not ammo, so I don't know what ammo is collectable or not.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-24-2016, 6:42 AM
idntwn2 idntwn2 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 207
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I would display those. Would not shoot em. Old stuff is cool.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2016, 7:03 AM
toro1's Avatar
toro1 toro1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 249
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

What are the ones in the lower left? They look like they might be 30-40 Krag.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2016, 7:08 AM
Henry Shooter Henry Shooter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ramona, Ca.
Posts: 808
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Default

Silhouette of a Sandhill crane on a 16 gauge box.
Pretty cool.

I'd display them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2016, 7:28 AM
Bainter1212's Avatar
Bainter1212 Bainter1212 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,690
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toro1 View Post
What are the ones in the lower left? They look like they might be 30-40 Krag.
That is three boxes of .30 Remington.
The boxes themselves are crumbling but the cartridges are still good.

I don't know what to sell those for but I will definitely sell them. They are uncommon nowadays.

I just have no idea what is valuable to cartridge collectors, or what prices to ask for.

Either way I need to move this stuff. I don't collect things for display purposes.....I just don't have the space for it.......but I know someone would like them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2016, 8:03 AM
toro1's Avatar
toro1 toro1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 249
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
That is three boxes of .30 Remington.
The boxes themselves are crumbling but the cartridges are still good.

I don't know what to sell those for but I will definitely sell them. They are uncommon nowadays.

I just have no idea what is valuable to cartridge collectors, or what prices to ask for.

Either way I need to move this stuff. I don't collect things for display purposes.....I just don't have the space for it.......but I know someone would like them.
How about checking Gun Broker or one of the auction sites for prices and then price them accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2016, 8:54 AM
pitfighter's Avatar
pitfighter pitfighter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toluca Lake
Posts: 1,967
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

If you are serious about researching value - http://www.iaaforum.org/forum3/

Otherwise drop in Gb at a $1 a round and see where it goes from there.

Sporting shell collectors are out there, not big spenders. The rare military rounds seem to be the ones that attract the $300 a rare-round auctions.
__________________
[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Pitfighter.
Toluca Lake, CA.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2016, 9:07 AM
Bainter1212's Avatar
Bainter1212 Bainter1212 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,690
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfighter View Post
If you are serious about researching value - http://www.iaaforum.org/forum3/

Otherwise drop in Gb at a $1 a round and see where it goes from there.

Sporting shell collectors are out there, not big spenders. The rare military rounds seem to be the ones that attract the $300 a rare-round auctions.
Thank you sir. That is what I need to do - hit up that forum.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:26 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.