Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 04-24-2017, 3:48 PM

Default Ruined finish on Springfield 1903

Hey guys I accidentally got some Powderblast cleaner on my wood stock and it removed part of the finish. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Yeah I know I screwed up.
Old 04-24-2017, 3:50 PM

Boiled linseed oil
Old 04-24-2017, 4:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Should be an easy fix. BLO as recommended by superbondaz50 and some gunny paste is what I use on my Garands.
Old 04-24-2017, 4:55 PM

Do not "patch" an original finish with BLO. Read post #3 here for guidance:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=2043

Flaxseed oil is the readily available modern version of raw linseed oil-found in the health section of wallyworld pharmacies and health food stores.
Old 04-24-2017, 8:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Raw linseed oil is what you want. It will take a little time for it reden up like the surrounding areas.
Old 04-25-2017, 4:23 AM

I concur with linseed oil. The military didn't use a stain to obtain a cool red tint so the grunts would gawk over their awesome rifles during combat. (Lol)

The red tint is caused over years of oxidation.
Old 04-25-2017, 4:37 AM

Boiled linseed oil is just Raw linseed oil (Flaxseed oil) with a dryer added. BLO is not boiled anymore.
But then if you rifle was refurbished after 1942 then a Pure Tung Oil finish was applied, or should I say it was dipped in Pure Tung Oil and hung to dry.
This is because in 1942 the US switched from Linseed oil to Tung oil as the finish on US rifle due to stocks molding in tropics.
Oh! Don't forget that the military had a large inventory of Linseed oil and did not surplus it out and replace it with Tung Oil. They just kept issuing the Linseed oil to troops to use on their rifles.
But then GIs were known to clean their rifles with what they had on hand. I remember seeing a pic of a soldier cleaning rifles on a beech with gasoline. Garands were stacked up behind him like firewood.
So what should you do to fix your finish. Have a LAB test the finish on your stock to find out what is actually on it. Or just that a WAG, Wild A## Guess, at it.
Don't worry to much. As long as you apply one of the oils listed above, you will be correct. Now if your stock has that old oil finish shine to it, fresh oil will not duplicate the shine. This shine is a mix of things. Oil, wax, dirt, sweat and a few other things.
This can be duplicated with a little trick I have used over the years when repairing military stocks. You will need to put a small amount of BLO in a dish and set it outside. You want to age it for a few days. It will start to turn a golden brown and get gummy like syup. You want it gummy but not to gummy. Once it is gummy and you have re applied oil to the area and let it cure for 4 or more days. you are ready to apply your aged BLO. Use your fingers to apply a little and start rubbing it in. It will be tacky. Use a lent free cloth to rub in now. This will take a good bit of rubbing so you may want to drink a Red Bull.
As you rub you will see that old oil shine start to come back. The last thing you need to do is wax the stock. I like Tom's 1/3 Mix.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
GySgt G.L.Bihm USMC
Old 04-25-2017, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eth727 View Post
Hey guys I accidentally got some Powderblast cleaner on my wood stock and it removed part of the finish. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Yeah I know I screwed up.
You only damaged the top of the surface, just clean the whole stock with minersl spirits, apply light coats of BLO to the spot, just a drop, has to be a thin coat, days apart, untill the spot is built up enough to not stand out. Then do the whole stock a few times too, very thin coats, drying complerely each time.
Old 04-25-2017, 2:14 PM

Yeah BLO did the trick. Thanks guys. This stuff is great. You can apply it to metal so it won't rust. I wonder if I can apply it to my face? Might make me look younger?
Old 04-25-2017, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eth727 View Post
Yeah BLO did the trick. Thanks guys. This stuff is great. You can apply it to metal so it won't rust. I wonder if I can apply it to my face? Might make me look younger?
Pics or GTFO.

https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/