Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-01-2017, 7:53 PM

Default 1903 Springfield 91xxxx stock markings & loose bayonet assembly

The bayonet assembly at the muzzle is secure but rattles. I think I may need to use a shim or similar to remove the rattle as the cross screw is tight but the assembly does not cinch to the wood. Or if the rattle is the usual I can live with it if that's the normal.

Regarding the stock (C stock) it looks like black walnut to me with a nice patina. At the bottom of the stock, about an inch forward of the floorplate towards the muzzle there is an X. On the heel of the grip there are (running from grip towards butt) a series of dimples (a bit to the left of center line) followed by a centered cross, bird or something similar. About a quarter inch below the cross is a centered U looking thing with the opening towards the butt.

The last four of the SN are stamped on the right side of the butt about two inches up or so. Professional stamps.

Attached are the dimples and heel marks.

The numbers on the bolt knob don't match (IDGAS) and the handle is bent. Etched on the bolt handle are the last four of the SN and it appears to have degraded the bluing.

The barrel is SA 4-42 and the bore looks as pretty as my ex when I first met her.

If anyone has honest feedback regarding the above I appreciate it. If needed I can get more photos up to help suss it out.

Simply looking to know more than I do now.

Salut!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1903 heel.jpg (98.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-02-2017, 5:48 AM
Veteran Member

I have no idea what the "X" stamp signifies and the dimples look like someone had a punch with a concave tip, got bored and started to punch the stock.

As for the rest of the numbers, The US never numbered the stocks, or bolts on standard service rifles. National match rifles after 1920 or so had the serial number electro penciled on the bolt. Usually the only numbers on the stocks were the drawing numbers on National Match handguards and stocks.

I suspect that your rifle is one of the Greek guns that were returned to the US and sold by the CMP. It has obviously been rebuilt as a rifle in the 900K range would have been made in 1918 and would have had a straight grip "S" stock rather than a "C" stock.

The bayonet band is loose because the wood has either shrunk where the band goes on, or someone has removed wood from that area. If it was mine, I would remove the bayonet lug and carefully inlet a peice of wood in that area and then carve it down to a snug fit.