Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-26-2017, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

Default A fun phase of collecting

I have recently entered into what is so far a fun phase of collecting: upgrading the collection.

The last few years, I have been trying to get good deals on a TYPE of firearm that I want, often trying to get the best deals because I am not rich.

That often means that the guns I have bought are not the best examples of their type, or maybe they are in poor condition.

As space has run out for me, I find myself looking for better examples of guns I already have, and then selling off the less desireable gun once I get the new one.

I have found this phase of collecting to be much more enjoyable, as well as easier financially.
Often, you can recoup much of the cost of your new purchase by selling the old one. I still look for good deals, but I am less constrained by finances when I don't have to front the entire cost of a gun.

So what comes after this phase? Do any of you guys who have been collecting for decades get bored?
Old 02-26-2017, 8:08 AM
CGN Contributor

For me, after the "upgrade" phase, it turned to expansion. Other things. Interests changed, collection shifts. Then I ended up with several safes.
Old 02-26-2017, 8:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccandgc View Post
For me, after the "upgrade" phase, it turned to expansion. Other things. Interests changed, collection shifts. Then I ended up with several safes.
For me, running a business and caring for a 3 yr old means I almost never get to reload for or shoot these guns.

I am hoping in a couple of years that I will have a bit more time to actually work up loads and shoot.
Old 02-26-2017, 8:22 AM

Problem I have is selling the placeholder as these things are only getting tougher to find.
Old 02-26-2017, 8:25 AM

I'm in the quality over quantity phase. When I first got my C&R I focused on getting a good example of each rifle. Now I've pretty much have that covered I'm getting into more C&R handguns and I'm more picky and patient. I'm interested in getting a Luger but I'm educating myself first.
Old 02-26-2017, 8:51 AM
Calguns Addict

for me it was going to Big 5 & turners and talking the sales person into letting me open boxes of Mosin Nagants and look for something rare. At times i had to keep a score card of what was in dros .I had more fun that way instead of ordering from a importer and rolling the dice.
I got some real gems that way.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:02 PM

I've been collecting for over 40 years. I always bought the best I could find. I'm at the stage now where I need to cull the herd and let someone else be the custodian of the firearms for awhile. I have several that I haven't shot in years and probably won't again. I've just plain lost interest in a lot of them.
Jon
Old 02-26-2017, 2:03 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

It is a good place to be in. I bought C&R's years ago that I wouldn't want now unless they were free. A lot of buying, selling, speculating, and horsetrading is the only way to build a quality collection unless you have unlimited funds to throw at everything which catches your eye.

Over time collectors get cynical and sarcastic too. I have to remember not to post smart arse responses to silly and repetitive questions that have been asked over and over ad nauseum. Everyone is wet behind the ears at some point and I got a lot of good advice and info from people right here in the CG C&R section. I wander off occasionally but the bulk of my time and postings are here.
Old 02-26-2017, 5:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I sold all of my C&R's with the exception of my Swede 96/38 and the Garand I recently bought. I had Russian SKS's, Lee Enfield's, various Mauser's, a mint Polish M44, Mosin rifles , etc. I just got tired of the logistical nightmare to buy ammo for each rifle. I decided to consolidate calibers and stock up on 5.56, .308, 6.5x55, .40, .45 ACP, .22, and 12 gauge buckshot before the ammo restrictions kick in. By consolidating, I feel at ease that I was able to buy more of each caliber than spreading my self too thin. I should have enough to get me till the end of retirement. I am also accumulating reloading supplies and equipment to have a back up supply of needed.

Old 02-26-2017, 5:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
I've been collecting for over 40 years. I always bought the best I could find. I'm at the stage now where I need to cull the herd and let someone else be the custodian of the firearms for awhile. I have several that I haven't shot in years and probably won't again. I've just plain lost interest in a lot of them.
Jon
I'm not quite there yet but I'm getting there. I have multiple copies of the same firearm that never see the light of day. I'll probably sell some off before I leave CA since prices and value are higher here.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 02-26-2017, 7:57 PM

Bainter1212,

That is exactly what I have done since my first C+R an RC K98K bought here on Calguns -
Trade and cash - upward and onward.

Rare and desirable firearms, these are my favorite.
The challenge to find them, and the parts, and bring these monolithic-fire-breathers, pieces of history back to life is exciting and challenging.

That line in Indiana Jones is my favorite: "...that belongs in a museum..."

Whether it's art, swords, militaria of firearms, it works for me...

Get's my heart beating, lol.
Old 02-27-2017, 4:19 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfighter View Post
That line in Indiana Jones is my favorite: "...that belongs in a museum..."
The very last scene in Indiana Jones is a parable of sorts for people who collect and go after a lot of stuff. After epic battles to recover and secure the Ark, it is simply boxed up and deposited in some gigantic warehouse and forgotten.
Old 02-27-2017, 5:02 AM

Very sge advices above. Quality over quantity. I figure the primo example of something that isn't produced anymore is only going to go up in price tomorrow. Easier said than done.
Old 02-27-2017, 7:13 AM
Calguns Addict

I also consolidated my small collection to a few calibers. got rid of anything i was not willing to invest enough money to have at least 1,000 rounds for.Come Jan 1 i will never give CA money to purchase ammo. Blood sucking CA.
Old 02-27-2017, 7:59 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvr350 View Post
Very sge advices above. Quality over quantity. I figure the primo example of something that isn't produced anymore is only going to go up in price tomorrow. Easier said than done.
There is a downside to quality over quantity. I used to always have a few beaters on hand that I wasn't attached to and could sell off or trade whenever needed.

As those beaters move on and your collection gets nicer, it is harder to get rid of stuff unless absolutely financially necessary. For example, I have a lot of SKS rifles but all are desirable from a collector point of view and relatively valuable. It would be hard to let any of them go because none are beaters or mixmasters..... Sigh.....
Old 02-27-2017, 9:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
...it is simply boxed up and deposited in some gigantic warehouse and forgotten...
You are absolutely correct, and I know a few of those collectors, lol, and that is absolutely their right after finding those rare desirables.

Mine do not go in boxes.

Last edited by pitfighter; 02-27-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Old 02-27-2017, 1:17 PM

I've stayed focused on SKSs. Like BR has said, they're good trade fodder, and it's hard to get one that doesn't function with any ammo. Right now I'm getting more, but more than a few are in collector territory. The bargain ones are harder to find locally these days, but if you've got a good FFL they can be found elsewhere across the land at a reasonable cost. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 02-27-2017, 2:55 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo1 View Post
I've stayed focused on SKSs. Like BR has said, they're good trade fodder, and it's hard to get one that doesn't function with any ammo. Right now I'm getting more, but more than a few are in collector territory. The bargain ones are harder to find locally these days, but if you've got a good FFL they can be found elsewhere across the land at a reasonable cost. PAX
If a collector sticks with it, he will outgrow the local FTF market very quickly. You've got to branch out to find the good stuff sometimes,
Old 02-27-2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:
If a collector sticks with it, he will outgrow the local FTF market very quickly. You've got to branch out to find the good stuff sometimes,
Yep, at a certain level going to shows across the country is a must, SOS in Kentucky, SAR in Arizona, Wanenmacher's in Oklahoma and Max in Pennsylvania are all great shows to go to.

It's a very small world in the collecting community, I've personally met quite a lot of Calgun and Gunboards users/collectors in person.

If you're a Japanese collector the Banzai group is very friendly, they meet a couple times a year. You can learn quite a lot from these guys just by talking to them for a couple of hours, the level of knowledge they have is amazing

The other thing is that usually, the best, most rare, most interesting stuff never makes it to Gunbroker or for sale forum but is traded/sold to/between collectors that know each other
Old 02-27-2017, 4:22 PM

Location: I am located in PA , so forgive me if I am not current on all the CA ways of doing things....

I have been "un-collecting" .... I just woke up one morning and decided I had too many dang guns.
NEVER thought in my wildest imagination that would happen.
I had guns that had not been fired in years ...... and the ammo up keep info as what gun shot what ammo , etc was getting to be a drag.
I started selling , it was easy at first than got a little harder deciding what went and what stayed ..... granted I still pick up one now and again .... who doesn't.
I down sized a lot over about 4 years time ......... lot of guns like I said...
I never bought anything with an eye toward long term value .... but as it turns out , I made out well on most and a few I hit home runs with .... and some I just called even stevens with.
I am about done down sizing and would still like to part with a few more but can't pick anymore to go ..... all the rest are definite NEEDS ... or so I say.............................
Old 02-27-2017, 4:57 PM

I'm in "stay ahead of CA" mode - searching for semiautos that might be problematic with future laws. Like M1 carbines, FNs etc.

It is frustrating in that I want to buy Martini Henry's, Sniders, Lebels, Trapdoors etc. But I feel like if i buy them now (given they are antiques and are unregulated) I am "wasting time".
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 02-27-2017, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The very last scene in Indiana Jones is a parable of sorts for people who collect and go after a lot of stuff. After epic battles to recover and secure the Ark, it is simply boxed up and deposited in some gigantic warehouse and forgotten.
Thats how the place whatacountry.com is like. I know the owner, he doesn't allow people to come to his wherehouse and shop (online only), but he lets me and my dad come in person. The place is massive and is just stacks of crates all the way to the ceiling of old military surplus items.

He has old crates stacked to the ceiling that are full of m1 carbine stocks that he purchased from the military after they de-milled them and sealed them in the wooden crates. Each crate has about 200 stocks, and he has like 20+ crates.

Ive opened them and have searched through probably a thousand m1 carbine stocks on a few visits I've made. It would take months to go through a small percentage of what he has. Theres a bunch of 55 gallon drums full of m1 carbine mags sealed from after the war. Just crazy amounts of anything and everything from 1970s american stuff to ww2 stuff. Crates full of russian gun parts, night vision, walls full garand stocks, german ww2 stuff.

Place is massive, Its exactly like the indiana jones scene but all different military/weapon related stuff.

"I work, therefore I am."
Old 02-27-2017, 7:06 PM

As a young collector who is only 20 years old who is on somewhat of a type budget but have much more cash flow then 99% of friends my age...I really enjoy collecting semi auto C&R's like Mas49/56, Fn49, Ag42, Hakim, SKS, and others. I just need an SVT40 for my collection. One thing I am getting interested in lately is finding for a good price mausers or other countries service rifles in more common chamber like .308 and 30-06....I have on order the Spanish Mauser from J&G...and want a Columbian Mauser as well as an Isahpore would be nice
Old 02-27-2017, 7:08 PM

And I have always noticed Bainter that you have always been very quick on the guns listed for sale here on Calguns and usually the first comment when a nice C&R rifle is for sale and I applaud that.
Old 02-27-2017, 8:34 PM

Op, I have had the same experience and am in the same place. I've started narrowing my focus now to make room in the safe for the higher quality stuff I'm moving in to, and I'm trying to prune off oddball calibers and anything that costs $1 or more per bang. I'm gravitating towards the Garand, SKS and Mosin. I've discovered that I like nice wood and cheap ammo. I only have a token Mauser because of the cost of 8mm ammo.

Besides narrowing my scope, I've also started doing passion projects: I found a six digit Garand with a really great tiger striped stock and spent two years finding matching wood and now I have something that makes me really happy when I am in the same room with it. (I had to pay like $160 for a birch tiger striped rear handguard off Ebay, but the rifle is now glorious.)

It's not easy for me to let go, but like you said, I like selling the stuff I don't like that much and applying the sales proceeds to the cost of the better gun that I really want. I've been trying to favor 9mm and 7.62x39 because of ammo costs, and have been fairly successful in getting rid of oddball calibers. 7.5 French and 7.6238r (Nagant Revolver) are the only nutty calibers in my collection right now. I still want a Krag, but I'm not going to shoot it more than a handful of times.

GREATER SACRAMENTO AREA REALTOR
PM for a free list of homes & income properties, or to see what your house is worth.
Buy or sell with me and get a free gun!
BRE:#01443195 Realty First REO
Old 02-28-2017, 12:24 AM

Culling the heard is a great idea, problem is I upgrade to better examples and then never get to selling the poorer condition rifles off. But it will happen eventually, because there is so much on the bucket list to get.

There is also the need to focus the collection, which is something I figure I will eventually do. I have alot of one off very fine condition rifles that make little sense in terms of continuity. I might sell everything off that I can to focus on Mausers, so then the specialization can really mean something.

Of course, if you have the time and money and can do a wide variety then that's awesome. I tend to think of SVT-40's collection as one of the finest I have yet seen, and his setup is intense and amazing. Just getting a small sliver of that would be an amazing accomplishment for me, so that's what I am eventually shooting for.

Quality not quantity.
Old 02-28-2017, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Old 02-28-2017, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Default The thrill is not gone

I have not owned a 91 30 for a while, I just put a very UN special 1938 TULA in dros and could not be happier. It does have a war time stock on it which i like ,Cant wait to totally break it down and inspect and clean it. No i am not going to touch the stock which has a very nice shellac finish intact.
Old 02-28-2017, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
.Of course, if you have the time and money and can do a wide variety then that's awesome. I tend to think of SVT-40's collection as one of the finest I have yet seen, and his setup is intense and amazing. Just getting a small sliver of that would be an amazing accomplishment for me, so that's what I am eventually shooting for.

Quality not quantity.
You are far far to kind...If you ever make it to Prescott let me know, and you can come by and spend a few hours looking around.

As for the phases of collecting I have gone hot and cold over the years, and have at times sold off various items...

But even when my interest dims in one area, I just do something else, like build AK's or some other related endeavour...Sooner or later I return to C&R's and get my interest back.

It's fun to just open a safe, and pull out rifles.... As I remember where, and who I got them from...A bit of a personal gun show!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Old 03-01-2017, 6:55 AM
Veteran Member

Never loose interest.

The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.
Old 03-01-2017, 7:55 AM

I made the mistake of collecting Lee Enfields. There are always new variants to find and new paths to take if one wanders into related items. As an example, several later LE's were produced in 7.62mm, one being the L42A1 sniper rifles - to go alongside one of those one really needs the Infantry standard arm at that time - which was the SLR or L1A1 (basically a FAL with inch measurements) and from there one probably needs a FAL also, so without any additional caliber being added there are suddenly more things to buy.

Another one was a Winchester 1895 in 303 british and then one sees one in 7.62 x 54 to match it, and that of course fits with the mosins I have...yadda yadda yadda and so on and so forth........ I SHOULD trim the herd a little...but the rifles I HAVE had to part with I regretted (my Enforcer Police Sniper rifle being the PRIZE example of that).
Old 03-01-2017, 7:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Take the "Less desirable's" and work the crap out of them. Train with them, see what they can do, that way you know what you shouldn't do with the pretty one
;o) As far as getting bored, spend more money on ammo and jump in a class or 2. From how to handle yourself in a medical situation to how to clear a room. Will you ever need to? Who knows, but knowledge is priceless.
Old 03-02-2017, 3:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've been in and out of collecting for awhile now - I've slowed down acquiring and have thru collecting build a circle of friendships that have gone beyond our hobbies -

To me that is the fun phase -

Cheers!
Old 03-03-2017, 6:42 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

It would be great to have a focused interest on C&R's and historical pieces only. It gets out of hand when you like all the old stuff and the new stuff and everything else in between.
Old 03-03-2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
It would be great to have a focused interest on C&R's and historical pieces only. It gets out of hand when you like all the old stuff and the new stuff and everything else in between.
I love to build HK's, AK's, etc. Love the new stuff too, but mainly Military related. Most of the consumer stuff is crap.

Have you noticed that most real C&R guys are the same? The old internet myth that we only like old stuff and hate black rifles seems to be, well, a myth........
Old 03-03-2017, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I love to build HK's, AK's, etc. Love the new stuff too, but mainly Military related. Most of the consumer stuff is crap.

Have you noticed that most real C&R guys are the same? The old internet myth that we only like old stuff and hate black rifles seems to be, well, a myth........
Yeah a myth for sure.

I own 4 ARs, I own no other duplicates of any other rifle type......I value some things for one reason and others for other reasons.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:31 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Yes, that was some myth that was initially posted on www.fud.com. Or was it .org?

I don't know about that dislike of black rifles.... first time I ever held an AR was in Army Basic Training and the heart went a pitter patter. AK's, Glocks, CZ's, tactical shotguns....gimme gimme gimme!
Old 03-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Confession: I wanted to like black powder. I wanted to like oddball 19th century stuff...just couldn't feel it.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

LOL @ BR -

Cheers!
Old 03-04-2017, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Confession: I wanted to like black powder. I wanted to like oddball 19th century stuff...just couldn't feel it.
Yeah, the same for me, still do not have a blackpowder fixation yet. But I have been tempted, especially with 45-70's and Henry's, and some old west guns. You got to ease into it, the six shooters are a great way to do it.

Early Springfields, Civil war era, very cool. Everything is a reproduction unless your brave and have money. There are also the early Mausers, and even before that all the needle guns.

I know a few collectors that really like transition period stuff. Zulu Enfields, etc. The needle guns are in a way the most eclectic fixation, as you need to literally make paper cartridges, etc. Not for the squeamish but it's an awesome sub-sub group of C&R.

For me, metallic cartridge center fire, preferable with a spitzer is good enough. But I started to get into making some cast bullets for some early swiss stuff..........