Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Private Firearms Sales - Long Guns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Private Firearms Sales - Long Guns For the private sale of rifles, shotguns and other long guns. Read the rules before posting.

Old 03-17-2011, 6:01 PM

Default WTS 1941 Savage Lee Enfield No. 4 Mk1 T Sniper set - transit box, case, scope, etc OC

Hello,

Up for sale is a beautiful Savage-made Lee Enfield No. 4 MK 1 T sniper rifle set. I am selling this on behalf of my coworker, who inherited the firearm.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person around on Lee Enfields, so I did quite a bit of research. The best information I received was from a fellow on a collector's board, which is as follows:

"The rifle is a early 1941 Savage made example that ran through Holland and Holland in early 1943 and was paired with scope #2785, which is a 1943 dated Watson Mk I scope. Later in the rifle's life the forend and handguards have been changed. Since there is no s/n on the forend it could be said this rifle was once sporterized and then restored but it could also be like this out of service too, one cannot say for certain. Since the front sight protector and cocking piece have been swapped with UK made parts I would assume the rifle was re-wooded in service.

The scope is a first contract block Houghton-Butcher Mk I scope s/n #4443 in fantastic condition and it was originally paired with a 1943 dated BSA made rifle s/n AN3925, the scope case was originally paired with scope #8391, a Kershaw made 1943 Mk I scope and rifle AQ8391 also a 1943 dated BSA made rifle."

This is not a matching set, but it is very desirable none-the-less. There are several things that should be noted - at some point, a previous owner (long deceased) inscribed his SSN on the right side of the rifle. There's some bubbling off the finish on the stock, particularly on the right side below the cheek piece. Lastly, the rifling is sharp, but there is some stubborn fouling in the grooves.

It includes everything that you see in the photos: transport box, scope and case, bayonet, sling, ammo pouch, and field manual, and of course the rifle itself.

The rifle is C&R, so it's good for cash and carry. I'm an 03 FFL holder, so I'll need a copy of your drivers license. Local/Face-to-Face in Orange Country (or surrounding areas) only! While I understand that shipping this would be legal, we have decided that due to the nature (size, weight, and value) of this set, we'd rather not take that chance. The asking price for the entire set is $3200, although we'll entertain reasonable offers.

Thank you!

Clicking on any of the photos will take you to a gallery where they are available full-size for better detail. Also, the rest of the gallery is here: http://jbphotography.smugmug.com/Oth...15749549_7WCG5. There are LOTS of high resolution detail photos, which I would highly encourage any prospective buyer to take a look at.
Old 03-17-2011, 6:21 PM

i'll forward this to my uncle who loves WWII sniper rifles. Regarding the excerpt, where did the author get all this info from?

PS. US social security numbers re-used after the current owner dies, so someone out there is active under the pictured social sec #, i would blur it out as a courtesy and prevent possible identity fraud.
Old 03-17-2011, 7:23 PM

Looks like a CA SSN too.
Old 03-17-2011, 7:30 PM

Very very nice!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 4:33 PM

Kryptonicrxn - thank you for letting me know that, I didn't realize that SSN's were reused. I'll blur it out when I get the chance.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where the author got his information, other than to say that he seemed to be a very knowledgeable collector. It is for this exact reason that I took so many detailed photos of the rifle and kit - although I don't know a whole lot about the rifle, I believe it's likely that a potential buyer would, so I've tried to at least include as much information about the rifle (visually) as I can.

For anybody that's interested, please note that the $3200 price is not firm... make an offer!
Old 11-02-2011, 8:30 PM

Default Sold?

it been a while...
is this gun still for sale?