Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-14-2011, 1:25 PM

Default Cheapest way to buy a handgun?

Ok guys, so being the broke (no kidding) college student I am, I'm interested in researching how to acquire the handgun I want at the cheapest point possible.

As much as I would love to help out mom and pop gun stores, I just have too little cash to spare out at the time. My cabinet is stocked with top ramen and canned pee's, which I've been living off of for a month to build funds for my first handgun! I'll definitely help out the locals after my engineering degree

To my knowledge... If I were to buy a gun through, say, gunbroker, I have to pay the FFL charge (which is $75 usually) and that also covers the $30 DROS?

So I buy a handgun through gun broker, and it's outside CA, I'm looking at +FFL +shipping + anything else?

If I buy a gun STRAIGHT through my local gun dealer, I'm looking at +DROS +tax + anything else?

And it seems as if PPT is definitely the cheapest route. It's just that patience game of having a calgunner having what you want and being somewhat local... but its just $35 transfer and done.

Am I on the right track here?

The guns I'm primarily looking at:

A springfield 1911 (If I can pull the extra cash)
Rock Island 1911
Ruger SR9 (maybe)
Ruger LC9 (maybe)

Thanks for any help
Old 03-14-2011, 1:32 PM
Not a Mod
CGN Contributor

PPT (person to person transfer) off of CALGUNS. No tax, no shipping, flat low ($35?sorry) DROS fee.
You might luck out on a Turners sale, but still has tax + FFL fees....
Old 03-14-2011, 1:34 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like you've got your head wrapped around it pretty well - PPT is the cheapest route for sure. I would recommend you just keep checking the Firearms for Sale section here on Calguns as long as you actually have the cash on hand to spend (and not relying on a credit card.) It's actually one of my favorite things to do when I decide to make a new gun purchase - I just click on the for sale page throughout the day and the "hunt" for a new (used) gun is pretty exciting. Plus it is definitely the cheapest route and the guns you are looking for come up fairly often.

Good luck with the search either way!
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?
Old 03-14-2011, 1:38 PM

Agree with orangeusa above.

Best bet is used and PPT here, half my collection were "lightly used" and PPT.

If money is tight stay away from brand new models (like the LC9) because new/shiny/novel always costs more.

Also, used guns that have been scuffed up with holster wear, and then retired from service without a ton of shooting, are often good deals.
Old 03-14-2011, 1:39 PM
Veteran Member

+1 to above. On a budget, buy used and do PPT.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 03-14-2011, 1:47 PM

+1 on everything mentioned... you're on the right track!
you can always try www.gunbroker.com
Old 03-14-2011, 1:48 PM

Sounds like I'm on the right track. And I agree Djleisure, sorting through the new calguns listings with a cup of coffee in the AM is a great way to start my day, hahah.
Old 03-14-2011, 2:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
PPT (person to person transfer) off of CALGUNS. No tax, no shipping, flat low ($35?sorry) DROS fee.
+1 this is by far the cheapest/only way
Old 03-14-2011, 2:37 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
cheapest/only way
AND you will meet someone new.
Old 03-14-2011, 2:37 PM

pm sent
Old 03-14-2011, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeusa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post
+1 to above. On a budget, buy used and do PPT.
+1 to all of the above. Also, I will add that you could check the CGN Private firearms sales Marketplace sub-forum and find a deal you like that is in your area, and that you can afford.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 03-14-2011, 2:45 PM

I agree on getting a used gun in the Marketplace.

Old 03-14-2011, 2:48 PM

Dont forget the HSC and trigger lock! $25 for HSC, and you could be expected to purchase a trigger lock, which could be an additional $25. So with DROS, HSC and Trigger lock you could be looking at $75 added to the price of any pistol.
Old 03-14-2011, 2:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarry scarney View Post
Dont forget the HSC and trigger lock! $25 for HSC, and you could be expected to purchase a trigger lock, which could be an additional $25. So with DROS, HSC and Trigger lock you could be looking at $75 added to the price of any pistol.
Yeah, this F**king state really knows how to lay down red tape and squeeze you for your dollars over useless crap you don't need, yet are forced to buy for you gun.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 03-14-2011, 2:57 PM

Right. I was aware of the HSC but a trigger lock? Could I buy my own and bring it on gun pick-up day?

I can see where the state's going with this. Let them be able to buy guns but put fee's in every nook and cranny to dissuade. Really sucks :/
Old 03-14-2011, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

Trigger lock is mandatory unless you have a doj approved safe, from my own experience, most ffls I've dealt with have never charged anything near $25, some have thrown them in for free, and yes, others have let me by my own as long as I brought in the receipt. It really depends on who you go through and your relationship with the business.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo
Old 03-14-2011, 4:47 PM

you have to have proof you bought a lock in the past 30 days I believe. You could pick one up at a random sports store, bring it with the receipt on pickup and return it after pickup.
Old 03-14-2011, 5:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosewreck View Post
Trigger lock is mandatory unless you have a doj approved safe, from my own experience, most ffls I've dealt with have never charged anything near $25, some have thrown them in for free, and yes, others have let me by my own as long as I brought in the receipt. It really depends on who you go through and your relationship with the business.
That is only true for long guns and even then, it is up to the discretion of the FFL. I think there may have been some change in the wording for allowing the use of the safe affidavit, because a lot of FFL's no longer allow it. I've gotten away with it for about 70% of my long gun purchases (which is quite a few.) If you *happen* to be somewhere like Walmart and can pickup an approved gun lock for cheap, less than 30 days before your purchase and you *won't lose* the receipt, then go for it. If not, honestly, I've never been screwed by an FFL for the price of a lock, they generally charge between $5-$8 - at least in my experience...
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?
Old 03-16-2011, 1:51 PM

The last few PPT I have done, I have NOT had to buy any kind of lock. I signed the affidavit about owning a safe. Just make sure you have the safe's make and model number to write down and you are good to go. Maybe I am missing some new law (since December) or the FFLs I have been to are really cool, but in the last 3 years I have purchased 2 handguns and 2 long guns and have not had to get a lock. All but the AR lower were PPT. YMMV
Old 03-16-2011, 2:03 PM

you can try gungenie.com. you would be getting a decent and fair price, and helping out local gun dealers too. also, you would see everything you are paying, except for HSC.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:06 PM

cheapest way to buy hand guns ?... well, find some relatives, friends, co-workers who owns them and ask if they want to sell you one. Couple of my current hand guns were bought from the co-workers, that I don't think the deal could be find from else where. Or sign up with Turners and look out for their Weekly Wednesday deal, I've seen they had RIA 1911 GI went for like $379 couple weeks ago. Best of luck.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Consignment and used guns at Turners are sometimes really good deals too. I've picked-up a couple of used guns from them that were well under what other private sellers were asking. The sellers must be getting raped on their end.

What I used to do was come in the day they put out the new used inventory for the week, that is until I discovered the private sale section here on Calguns.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
William G. McAdoo