Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-13-2011, 6:02 PM

Default Carry gun to range in car

I'm trying to figure out if I can transport my gun inside its case unloaded without any loaded mags inside my locked trunk while driving to the range or does the case itself have to be locked as well.
Old 03-13-2011, 6:05 PM

i'm pretty sure as long as its in the trunk your ok
Old 03-13-2011, 6:05 PM
Veteran Member

The gun is supposed to be transported in a "locked container".....a trunk is considered a locked container
Old 03-13-2011, 6:07 PM

That's fine, the issue is hand carrying it from your house to the car or car to range.
Old 03-13-2011, 6:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why are you worried about transporting it without loaded mags in the same case? It's perfectly legal to do that.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 03-13-2011, 6:20 PM

Someone please educate me about all this gun locking stuff. I am confused. Why would you need to have an unloaded gun locked up in anything? I thought the rule was ammo seperate from firearm, period. Firearm up front, ammo in trunk. Done. Unless of course you have a permit, then load and carry on person. And if you like, load and place a back up large caliber weapon incase things go hairpod. That's my daily routine.
Old 03-13-2011, 6:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcserg View Post
I'm trying to figure out if I can transport my gun inside its case unloaded without any loaded mags inside my locked trunk while driving to the range or does the case itself have to be locked as well.
Legal.

Also legal:

Unloaded in it's case in a locked trunk with loaded magazines in the same case (but not in the gun)

Unloaded in a locked case in the passenger compartment with the ammo and loaded magazines on the seat next to it.

Unloaded in a locked case in the passenger compartment with the ammo and loaded magazines in the case next to it (but not in the gun).

Legal but not recommended:
More than 1000ft away from a K-12 school...
Unloaded, plain view. Loaded or unloaded magazines on the seat next to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-13-2011, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayman View Post
Someone please educate me about all this gun locking stuff. I am confused. Why would you need to have an unloaded gun locked up in anything? I thought the rule was ammo seperate from firearm, period. Firearm up front, ammo in trunk. Done. Unless of course you have a permit, then load and carry on person. And if you like, load and place a back up large caliber weapon incase things go hairpod. That's my daily routine.
Hayman is correct; the gun has to be unloaded, and in a different part of the vehicle than the UNLOADED mags, and ammo. Unloaded mags and ammo can be in one bag, in the trunk. Gun in another bag/case, in the back seat.
If it's an SUV, gun in back seat, mags/ammo in the rear. That's what I've been told by a Calif LEO, in a training class.
Old 03-13-2011, 6:42 PM

This should answer all your questions:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...p/Transporting

I am a guardian of freedom
and the American way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _4_ View Post
It is NOT your God given right to serve this country, it is a privilege.
Old 03-13-2011, 6:45 PM

Quote:
With some exceptions, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon without a permit.
With some exceptions, it is illegal to carry a loaded weapon without a permit.
Locked container negates "concealed"

No restrictions on the transportation of ammo other than restrictions against possession on school grounds and a few other sensitive places.

Read PC 12025, 12026, and 12031

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12025.html
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12025.5.html
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12026.html
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12026.1.html
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12026.2.html
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12031.html
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12031.1.html

and 626.9:
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html

Quote:
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 03-13-2011, 6:47 PM
Veteran Member

A pistol needs to be in locked container while being transport in a car.

Your pistol can be in an unlocked case, or out of a case if it is in the trunk. A trunk is considered to be a locked container. As long as there is no access to the trunk through the back seat.

A fire arm is only 'loaded' when there is a loaded magazine in the mag-well of the gun. Or there is an unexpended round in the chamber.

It is perfectly legal to have ammo scattered about all over your car (not recommended, but legal). It is perfectly legal to have a loaded magazine in the same locked container as the gun. As long as it is not in the mag-well of the gun.

You can have a pistol on the front passenger seat with a loaded magazine right next to it. It is perfectly legal because it is not concealed. Don't expect any LEO to know any of this.

However, all firearms need to be in a locked container when in a traveling through a restricted area (like within 1000' of a school).

It is extremely imperative that you read and reread and reread the law (federal, state and local). Consult a lawyer in regards to any questions. Know all your rights.

Keep a copy of Penal Codes and highlight those related to your needs. Do not be afraid to politely ask a LEO to consult their supervisor if they are unaware of material you are presenting.

I would suggest buying a decent lockable container to transport your firearm and ammunition in. Keep it locked all the time. Then you don't have to worry about it. If a LEO inquires as to what is in the container.... your response should always be 'I have nothing illegal'.

Good luck!
Old 03-13-2011, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
Hayman is correct; the gun has to be unloaded, and in a different part of the vehicle than the UNLOADED mags, and ammo. Unloaded mags and ammo can be in one bag, in the trunk. Gun in another bag/case, in the back seat.
If it's an SUV, gun in back seat, mags/ammo in the rear. That's what I've been told by a Calif LEO, in a training class.
You were told incorrectly.

What you were told is not the law. What you were told is what that particular LEO wants to see.

Magazines can be loaded.
Magazines can be in the same locked container with the gun.
The locked container with the gun and the mags can be in your lap.

Cops and gun shop employees make up laws all the time, but when you press them, they cannot cite the California PC to support their claim because it doesn't exist.

This is what is called FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt.

Quote:
Old 03-13-2011, 7:38 PM

I read through the thread and want more specific answer for me and my truck. I understand that it's legal if the gun and ammo is in a locked trunk of a car.

But what is the requirement for transporting handguns on a truck without a cover.
Old 03-13-2011, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorwolf View Post
I read through the thread and want more specific answer for me and my truck. I understand that it's legal if the gun and ammo is in a locked trunk of a car.

But what is the requirement for transporting handguns on a truck without a cover.
Lock them in a container, like a range bag or backpack.
Calguns Addict

Default This is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik_26 View Post
A pistol needs to be in locked container while being transport in a car.

Your pistol can be in an unlocked case, or out of a case if it is in the trunk. A trunk is considered to be a locked container. As long as there is no access to the trunk through the back seat.

A fire arm is only 'loaded' when there is a loaded magazine in the mag-well of the gun. Or there is an unexpended round in the chamber.

It is perfectly legal to have ammo scattered about all over your car (not recommended, but legal). It is perfectly legal to have a loaded magazine in the same locked container as the gun. As long as it is not in the mag-well of the gun.

You can have a pistol on the front passenger seat with a loaded magazine right next to it. It is perfectly legal because it is not concealed. Don't expect any LEO to know any of this.

However, all firearms need to be in a locked container when in a traveling through a restricted area (like within 1000' of a school).

It is extremely imperative that you read and reread and reread the law (federal, state and local). Consult a lawyer in regards to any questions. Know all your rights.

Keep a copy of Penal Codes and highlight those related to your needs. Do not be afraid to politely ask a LEO to consult their supervisor if they are unaware of material you are presenting.

I would suggest buying a decent lockable container to transport your firearm and ammunition in. Keep it locked all the time. Then you don't have to worry about it. If a LEO inquires as to what is in the container.... your response should always be 'I have nothing illegal'.

Good luck!
THIS ^^^^^

Never get your information from a LEO or a Gun Store Employee...LOL.

I carry my GLOCK 29 with 2 full magazines in this container ON MY FRONT SEAT IN MY CAR...

The Locked/unloaded weapon travels in this NETBOOK CASE that I bought at Target for $18. The combo lock I got at a gun store.

It would take a WARRANT to open it. It is perfectly LEGAL this way.

I have nothing Illegal in my car officer. Am I free to go..?..

Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Calguns Addict

I love California XD
Old 03-13-2011, 7:51 PM
In Memoriam

The wiki link needs to be larger, or better advertised, because it is hard to differentiate between the dense, and those who missed the link.
Old 03-13-2011, 9:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
The wiki link needs to be larger, or better advertised, because it is hard to differentiate between the dense, and those who missed the link.
Well, I do what I can ...

Don't know about the link at the top of the page; I'm not a sysadmin for this installation (or any other, and don't you DARE offer me the job, you know who you are!) so I don't have any info on the amount of space the system will allow for those header things.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-13-2011, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

BTW Oceanbob got that case from Target. I know because there was a thread about it and I have one.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Banned

You should actually carry it concealed on you! P.C 12031 (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a vehicle, etc.... However PC12031 (b) subdivision (a) Shall not apply to any of the following: (5) Persons who are using target ranges for the purpose of practice shooting with a firearm or who are members of shooting clubs while hunting on the premises of those clubs.

In addition check out PC 12026.2 (9) Transportation of a firearm by person when going directly to, or coming directly from, a target range, which holds a regulatory or business license, for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets with that firearm etc...

You need to keep on mind, when you guys head to the range or wherever you guys are carrying a bounty on your head if criminals know what you are possessing. For one you're carrying something very reliable thus a firearm and criminals would love to snatch your firearms etc, rob you , car jack you. So be conscious anytime you have your firearms visible. Be conscious don't make it obvious that you have guns its not cool. Hope this helps.

Or you can just have your firearm in open view and un loaded.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:25 PM

Even if CA laws say you can carry it wouldn't the federal 1000' school zone bite you in many areas?
- David M. Bennett
Old 03-13-2011, 10:31 PM

I'm too cheap to buy a nice range bag, so what I use for a locked container is a cheap Plano or Craftsman tool box , the one in the pics is my old retired airline gate box, it's pretty beat up and stained, I have a new one I use, but it's no where to be found at the moment?

I have to go do my weapons qual for my Cali CCW in the AM, so I'll use old red, I don't worry about locking it since it's in my locked trunk, but if I needed to put it in the passenger compt, I can throw a Master lock on it.

And yes I do have loaded mags inside each case with it's gun, but not inserted in the mag well. totally legal, and I don't worry about a LEO inspection because he will have no probable cause to search me and I would not give consent any ways, besides I'm 47 , been pulled over several times in my life, never asked about firearms.

You can also use a back pack, many have zippers with loop that you can throw a small lock on, most of us all have a back pack or small toll box laying around.

By the way, I think my Son and Father are the only LEO's I've ever met who actually knew the law about carrying firearms.

Last edited by brianm767; 03-13-2011 at 10:36 PM..
Old 03-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
You should actually carry it concealed on you! P.C 12031 (a) (1) A person is guilty of carrying a loaded firearm when he or she carries a loaded firearm on his or her person or in a vehicle, etc.... However PC12031 (b) subdivision (a) Shall not apply to any of the following: (5) Persons who are using target ranges for the purpose of practice shooting with a firearm or who are members of shooting clubs while hunting on the premises of those clubs.

In addition check out PC 12026.2 (9) Transportation of a firearm by person when going directly to, or coming directly from, a target range, which holds a regulatory or business license, for the purpose of practicing shooting at targets with that firearm etc...

You need to keep on mind, when you guys head to the range or wherever you guys are carrying a bounty on your head if criminals know what you are possessing. For one you're carrying something very reliable thus a firearm and criminals would love to snatch your firearms etc, rob you , car jack you. So be conscious anytime you have your firearms visible. Be conscious don't make it obvious that you have guns its not cool. Hope this helps.

Or you can just have your firearm in open view and un loaded.
Oddly, you quote PC referring to 'loaded' and then suggest carrying 'concealed'.

12026.9 is a list of exceptions for 'legal destinations' while not using a vehicle; if you choose to pay attention to 12026.9 and carry the handgun concealed, the handgun must be unloaded and in a locked case.

And then, please note and emphasize PC 12031(b)(5):
Quote:
(5)Persons who are using target ranges for the purpose of practice shooting with a firearm or who are members of shooting clubs while hunting on the premises of those clubs.
Doesn't do a thing for you if you're elsewhere.

the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Old 03-14-2011, 6:11 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I do worry about this, kinda bs to have to carry my gun in a locked case. I don't know of any instances of anyone getting 'purse snatched' in front of our local range, which is right on 'main street' but I am paranoid when I walk out of there, especially at night.. I try to park right in front, but can't always....

S&W M&P .40 Shield / Ruger SR9 / Win Defender 1300
Old 03-14-2011, 6:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I wish companies who make range bags would take CA law into consideration. It's impossible to secure my range bag, and having to use separate containers for my firearms just defeats the purpose.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 03-14-2011, 6:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by locosway View Post
I wish companies who make range bags would take CA law into consideration. It's impossible to secure my range bag, and having to use separate containers for my firearms just defeats the purpose.
GFSZs are a Federal thing. So, locking range bags or firearm cases are required in all 50 states if one is transporting through a GFSZ.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 03-14-2011, 2:53 PM

Rifle, shotguns, and pistol unloaded and in their respective soft cases locked into the car trunk.

Rifle, shotgun, and pistol ammo loaded into magazines or in their boxes inside my range bag in the foot well of the back seat.

Done.
Old 03-14-2011, 3:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
THIS ^^^^^

I carry my GLOCK 29 with 2 full magazines in this container ON MY FRONT SEAT IN MY CAR...

The Locked/unloaded weapon travels in this NETBOOK CASE that I bought at Target for $18. The combo lock I got at a gun store.

Bob
The laws here are all over but if this guys statement and yours are true then I just became a much safer driver as I drive between NorCal and SoCal every other week.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.
Old 03-14-2011, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
THIS ^^^^^

Bob
+1 ^ I saw this post from Oceanbob in the original thread & is doing the same thing... thanks Oceanbob!
Old 03-14-2011, 3:53 PM

Now this looks like the hot ticket for having a gun in the car.
http://www.titangunvault.com/index.php
Old 03-14-2011, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
Also impossible to differentiate between those who can search and those who want spoonfeeding...not that this question isn't answered almost daily

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 03-14-2011, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
READ the links in post 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorwolf View Post

Locked case, in the truck. if you want to know why, read the links in post 10.

hth

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 03-14-2011, 5:51 PM
Super Moderator

Although the wiki is clearer than the PC:

Old 03-14-2011, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyc Wid It View Post
Lock them in a container, like a range bag or backpack.
That's what I thought, was hoping there's a easier way (i.e. range bag in the trunk bed)
Old 03-14-2011, 6:47 PM

Quote:
That does not eliminate the locked container requirement.

The law is not well written (as is the case with most of the PC covering weapons).
There are a number of exemptions, but two requirements of the general exemptions are still unloaded and in a locked container (if concealed, unloaded open carry is not addressed, and thus, legal outside of school zones and other sensitive places).

Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
GFSZs are a Federal thing. So, locking range bags or firearm cases are required in all 50 states if one is transporting through a GFSZ.
And sadly, CCW reciprocity does not exempt one from the Federal GFSZ.
The Federal statute specifies a CCW license issued by that state.
If you have a non-resident Florida permit, you are GTG in Florida's GFSZ, but not in AZ, Utah, or any of the other states that accept Florida's permit.

And that is the one fly in the ointment to Constitutional Carry.
When no license is required, no license is issued, and carry is not permitted within a Federal GFSZ.

Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Although the wiki is clearer than the PC:
Quite true.... but posting the actual PC should cover any "what if" and "but I was told".
It also covers my comment when my friend showed me the flowchart in early 2009....

"You expect me to risk a felony AW possession charge because of what a bunch of yahoos on an internet forum say??????"

Quote:
Old 03-14-2011, 6:59 PM

even though the trunk is a locked container, I lock mine in a case then put them in the trunk. Better safe than sorry, last thing I need is some uninformed cop slapping cuffs on me cause he doesn't understand the law that he enforces.

Last edited by TWoods450; 03-14-2011 at 7:04 PM..
Old 03-14-2011, 7:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Default That will work

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWoods450 View Post
even thought the trunk is a locked container, I lock mine in a case then put them in the trunk. Better safe than sorry, last thing I need is some uninformed cop slapping cuffs on me cause he doesn't understand the law that he enforces.
Also, I will never mention my locked case in my trunk.

1. Also, don't lock your weapon in a GUN BAG or GUN CASE...that just screams GUN to anyone who spots it.

2. I do not consent to a search officer. Am I free to go?

3. Keep it legal

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 03-14-2011, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

Whats the deal with the "authorized locations" ?

" 12026.2(b)
(d) and the course of travel shall include only those deviations
between authorized locations as are reasonably necessary under the
circumstances."