Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

View Poll Results: Can You Attend This Event
Yes! 90% of winning is showing up! 46 31.72%
No - But I can make it to the after party. 4 2.76%
No - I can't make either. 95 65.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2011, 7:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I think I can be there. I'm looking forward to meeting more of the crew! go 2A!!

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 03-14-2011, 7:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettoPhilosopher View Post
Woot, I'll text you that morning. 9am? Or earlier?

Just to clarify, I *shouldn't* wear my Raptor Jesus costume/open carry an AK/scream and foam at the mouth, right?
Wear a KKK costume and stand with the MAIG protesters.
Old 03-14-2011, 7:35 PM
C3 Leader

Last edited by AndrewMendez; 03-14-2011 at 7:48 PM..
Old 03-14-2011, 7:40 PM

My theoretical responses below... since i'm unsure if I can get to the event from a monetary standpoint. (gas got EXPENSIVE fast).

Quote:
REPORTER (with leading question): "If you think guns are good, what about assault weapons?"
While I have a very personal view about that subject, that's not what I'm here for today. I'm here to support Gene Hoffman and the message he's trying to send. I suggest you seek him out for further information.

Reporter: But we want a perspective from a normal person who's not leading a political group.

My perspective today IS that of this group. Please see Gene Hoffman if you'd like further information.

rinse. Repeat.
Old 03-14-2011, 7:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugo View Post
ill be there at 9am cones in hand just in case
You rock, Sir! Hang onto those cones. Those might come handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
I don't recall there being any street parking at the Spring street side of city hall.
You may be right. I'm not on the ground in LA so I'm relying on other folks for directions. It's entirely possible that I'm mixing up minor details. Stay tuned. I've been informed by impeccably reliable sources that a MAP is in the works.

Quote:
I'll be metro-ing in that morning, but I was thinking of showing up early anyways. You guys mind some company?
Company is always appreciated. We'll have a Secret Code Network set up around 10AM for people to access in case they get lost, need to coordinate, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
One question Oak, When will this take place in downtown San Francisco? Not to hijack the thread but???
We do so many fun things in San Francisco (remember the Anti-LCAV Rally) we thought it would be nice to give our brethren in the City of Angels a run. Stay tuned for more fun.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 03-14-2011, 7:59 PM

At last I checked, you were able to park at any parking meter free with a handicapped placard displayed in your vehicle. I'll verify this tomorrow.

For this reason, many parking meters in Downtown LA have a very low turn-over rate. This could work in our favor if we have any disabled members arriving early. Free parking to reserve the requested spaces.

I'll be there since I only work a block away from the LA Times building. Count me in.
Old 03-14-2011, 8:52 PM
Banned

Well, if I can't wear my buttless chaps, then everyone else will have to suffer too!!!!

Quote:
Woot, I'll text you that morning. 9am? Or earlier?

Just to clarify, I *shouldn't* wear my Raptor Jesus costume/open carry an AK/scream and foam at the mouth, right?
Old 03-14-2011, 9:10 PM

Wish I could make it but I can't get away from work.

- Wes @ 10%

Old 03-14-2011, 9:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good evening folks! This is pretty exciting! I'm thrilled to have all of you involved. This is worthy endeavour. Thanks for being a part of it.

Just a couple of things that we need to consider during this event.

1) Dress Code: Dress code is to be rigorously enforced. The preferred dress is "business casual". Participants should wear a collared shirt at the minimum. A polo is a collared shirt. They are easy to spot and they convey a sense of organizational authority. Camouflage of any kind in unacceptable. Participants wearing camouflage will be assumed to be Brady plants and politely asked to leave. I'd like if Calgunners who have Gun Show Booth Blue Polos wear them.

2) Arms: The event is well within 1000 feet of several schools downtown including an Elementary School and High School, thus UOC is prohibited. In the unlikely event someone does UOC to the event, there will be a large lockable case on site for people to stash their firearms. *We need a volunteer to acquire and maintain the lockable case.*

3) Media: CCRKBA is going to put out a press release to the various LA media outlets. Gene Hoffman is going to give a small speech about MAIG and gun rights and then answer questions from the press. * I need a volunteer to contact some local media.* Without exception, participants should avoid speaking to media. Participants should refer questions to Mr. Hoffman.

4) Parking the Truck: The truck will be parked on the SW Corner of N. Spring and W. 1st Street. We will attempt to obtain the two spaces closest to the corner. See the map posted above. We're going to do this by parking in the spots at 8:45AM. We'll continue to feed the meters until 11:30. At that time, the truck will pull in behind the cars, the cars will exit and the truck will pull in. Oaklander has volunteered to be in one of the cars. He's going to need someone else to take the second parking spot. Additionally, he will need a backup in case there is a breakdown, etc. I'm calling for volunteers in the thread for these positions (need one - THANKS YUGO) *At least 2 volunteers*

5) Signs: Signs will likely be 18"x24" and mounted to a wooden picket. Some signs will be simple handheld posterboards. A couple participants will have their own hand lettered signs. People with unauthorized signs will be invited to put them away. *I need a volunteer to collect the signs from the sign maker.*

6) Pre-event Meet-up: Pending. (I'm taking suggestions) Participants will assemble at the location around 11:00AM. Signs will be distributed along with the communications codes (see below).

7) Communications: A Calgunner has generously offered the use of his telephone bridge to facilitate communications among participants. One AndrewMendez will monitor and leave the bridge open to provide directions for those who are lost, don't know what to do, where to meet, etc. The number will be held by Calgunners with the blue polos. I also suggest that participants make contact with other Calgunners before the event and exchange phone numbers in case something goes squirrelly.

8) Order of Battle: Participants will meet at the Pre-event Meet-up site. Signs will be passed out. Participants will then move toward the demonstration site on the SW Corner of N. Spring and W. 1st Street. The truck will move up behind the placeholder cars at the meters and they'll drive away. The truck will park at the meters and load them with quarters. Gene will give a short speech to assembled media and answer questions. This should take about an hour at the most. Participants will be directed from here to the after event by the event Project Manager, Andrew Mendez.

Calls for volunteers are above in RED. I've been getting a lot of PMs from people asking how they can help. Here are some opportunities for them.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 03-14-2011, 9:18 PM
Banned

Glad you and your wife are on the same page, my wife and I are too (but we're on year 1 of married life, too...). Most of us showing up are also giving up a day of work, I believe it's worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wizard View Post
My wife agrees with me that this issue is important enough to lose a days pay. Like many other families, we can't really afford it, but giving up our 2A rights would be a greater loss.

We'll be there!
Old 03-14-2011, 9:25 PM
Banned

Those of you on Facebook, the reporters/underlings that run the local news Facbook pages typically keep up on communication with their pages. Local news sources typically have an email hotline where you can send in eye-witness stories that haven't broken yet or to add more details to an existing story. Emails sent to those are read/replied to quickly, in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
3) Media: CCRKBA is going to put out a press release to the various LA media outlets. Gene Hoffman is going to give a small speech about MAIG and gun rights and then answer questions from the press. * I need a volunteer to contact some local media.* Without exception, participants should avoid speaking to media. Participants should refer questions to Mr. Hoffman.
Old 03-14-2011, 9:30 PM
Calguns Addict

I wonder if MAIG and LAPD are aware of how silly LCAV made SFPD look at our last big protest.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 PM
Shall Not Be Infringed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
I wonder if MAIG and LAPD are aware of how silly LCAV made SFPD look at our last big protest.
Shhhhhh!!! Be vewy vewy quiet.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 PM

i wanted to make my own sign.

side 1: due process or bust!

side 2: graduate student, liberal democrat, gun owner

is that ok? or will i be asked to toss my sign if i make it?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 PM

also a suggestion for jdberger: "order of battle" is a poor choice of words.

we should be avoiding any language that conveys the appearance of hostility or may be perceived as combative.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Hated View Post

Approved.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Shall Not Be Infringed!

Quote:

I kinda like haterade.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:49 PM

On the off chance that anyone is driving up from Santa Barbara/SLO area, I'd be happy to chip in for expenses. Studying for finals and expensive gas keeps me out of the driver's seat.
(well dressed college student who can keep mouth shut if needed)
Old 03-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Banned

I would share a ride - but my wife is also coming - and we only have seat belts for the front seats. And we are loud and obnoxious, talk about guns all the time, and smoke cigarettes. . .

Actually, we sound like most of my friends!

Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 AM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
Actually, we sound like most of my friends!

Or a Quentin Tarantino movie...

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 03-15-2011, 1:08 AM

Say "What" again !!!
Old 03-15-2011, 4:05 AM
Banned

"Oaklander and SierraApril, representing mainstream gun owners in California."

We will have to work on our image if we want to start hanging out at rallies and such. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Or a Quentin Tarantino movie...

-Gene
That being said, it would be cool if everyone dressed like this:

JUST KIDDING! That would weird everyone out, totally. But LA is close to Hollywood. But, seriously - don't do it!

Old 03-15-2011, 6:05 AM

have we decided on a meeting place? there were posts about edison not opening till 5:30pm.

i suggest Senor Fish. its on 1st and alameda. about 4 blocks down from city hall. it opens at 11am. there is a big parking lot adjacent and lots of street parking. we can assemble in the parking lot if turnout is high. its also a popular cop spot, so if you are 213 LEO youre probably familiar wih it.
Old 03-15-2011, 6:09 AM

im driving from encino area, but i would be happy to pick anyone up on the westside or even the gentleman who had a stroke in el segundo. please PM me today so i know what time im leaving.
Old 03-15-2011, 7:40 AM
C3 Leader

Quote:
im driving from encino area, but i would be happy to pick anyone up on the westside or even the gentleman who had a stroke in el segundo. please PM me today so i know what time im leaving.
Thank you. There was another person coming from the I.e. was someone able to give that person a ride?
Stand bye for a yes on that. I an debating whether to have people meet up at a different spot then all herd down to the location, OR just have everyone meet at the truck, then we all herd ourselves to the party afterwards.
Old 03-15-2011, 7:54 AM
C3 Leader

All, please feel free to invite your friends and family to this event. Diversity is the goal.
Old 03-15-2011, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

I really wish I could attend but this week is especially bad for me.

Give 'em hell, boys!!!

...and I get banned from OT for doing MUCH LESS than what they did?!?!?! Nice job "Mods"...
Old 03-15-2011, 8:04 AM
Veteran Member

Default I'm out.

Quote:

BROTHER.....thanks anyways for your generous offer. But my plans had just changed........must attend a funeral viewing tomorrow.

"SCMA-1

"Wherever I Walk,
Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.

Wherever I Am,
Anyone In Need Has a Friend.

Whenever I Return Home,
Everyone Is Happy I Am There."
- "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. Humphrey
Old 03-15-2011, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Brothers attending this event..... good luck and please stay safe!

SCMA=1

"Wherever I Walk,
Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.

Wherever I Am,
Anyone In Need Has a Friend.

Whenever I Return Home,
Everyone Is Happy I Am There."
- "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. Humphrey
Old 03-15-2011, 8:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A reminder for those bringing their own signs:

Quote:
55.07 Los Angeles Municipal Code, Demonstration Equipment Prohibited.
Sub (a)

*No Person shall carry or possess,
*While participating in any demonstration, rally, picket line, or public assembly,
*Any length of lumber, wood, or wood lath,
*Unless that object is one-fourth inch or less in thickness and two inches or less in width,
*Or if not generally rectangular in shape, such object shall not exceed three-quarters inch in its thickest dimension.

Note: Heavy staffs for carrying placards during street demonstrations have been used as weapons, and have injured officers dutifully enforcing laws relating to public assemblies. The above ordinance is directed toward preserving the safety of officers, the general public, and persons taking part in demonstrations.

57.10.31 Los Angeles Municipal Code, Obstruction of Aisles and Passageways.

*No person shall willfully,
*Block, Impede or obstruct,
*Any Aisle, passageway, hallway, lobby, foyer or stairways,
*Leading to or from any entrance or exist required by law within any office building, public building, place of business, hotel or other structure,
*With the intent to prevent, delay, hinder or interfere with the free use of such passageway,
*By any other person who is within, entering, occupying or leaving said premises.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 03-15-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
Good evening folks! This is pretty exciting! I'm thrilled to have all of you involved. This is worthy endeavour. Thanks for being a part of it.

2) Arms: The event is well within 1000 feet of several schools downtown including an Elementary School and High School, thus UOC is prohibited. In the unlikely event someone does UOC to the event, there will be a large lockable case on site for people to stash their firearms. *We need a volunteer to acquire and maintain the lockable case.*

Calls for volunteers are above in RED. I've been getting a lot of PMs from people asking how they can help. Here are some opportunities for them.
JD, Andrew,

If someone hasn't volunteered yet, I have a pelican case. I'm going to pickup some locks on my way down after work.

Cheers,
/ed

meh...

NRA Endowment Member
Old 03-15-2011, 10:15 AM
C3 Leader

Some media attention.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...117996394.html

Erik, please bring it.

Last edited by AndrewMendez; 03-15-2011 at 10:17 AM..
Old 03-15-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Everyone - I know this is kind of a strange argument - but sometimes we just need to do things on faith.
  • Faith that it will have an effect.
  • Faith that that the media will listen to us.
  • Faith that this single action will have positive ripple effects.

THIS event doesn't even need that level of faith - since we already know that it will work - but we need people to make it work.

I don't want to get all misty on you guys - but sometimes the dedication required to do this kind of work requires that you do things that might seem inconsequential (at the time).

My fore into gun rights stuff started several years ago with a single PRAR to the DOJ. That PRAR yielded documents that are *still* being used by us - to this day.

I had no idea that what I was doing would even have an effect - BUT I trust the people I work with - and all I do is "carry out wishes" - but I do so happily and with a solid spirit.

We are on the RIGHT SIDE of this issue:

self defense
and the preservation
of liberty
are
inherent
human rights

We need to fight for them.

It's the right thing to do. Period.
I was in 100% already BUT this moved me again!! Nicely put Oaklander

I PM'd you already but the gentleman stuck in westwood, I can give you a ride....if you can stand some of the same habits Oaklander has...talking about guns, smiling & smoking cigs

Last edited by santamonica9; 03-15-2011 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: update & offer a ride for L.A. westsiders
Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Pre-meeting location has been updated in the top post.

REDWOOD BAR & GRILL, 316 West 2nd St. Los Angeles, 90012 t.(213) 680-2600

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Banned

FOLKS: please follow http://twitter.com/gunssavelives for up to the minute updates.

JD and friends will be updating starting now, through event conclusion.

IF you don't know where to go, or what to do - just let us "tweet you right."

Sorry, could not resist. . .

Anyways - http://twitter.com/gunssavelives learn it, love it, live it.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:59 AM
CGSSA Associate

i would love to attend but im booked for meetings all day tomorrow

might want to have a lead time of more than 3 days in the future
Old 03-15-2011, 12:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
i would love to attend but im booked for meetings all day tomorrow

might want to have a lead time of more than 3 days in the future
The warning order went out on Thursday. We realize that it was a little vague, but we had details to nail down. Some of these events need to be relatively spontaneous for other reasons, too.

Sorry that we'll miss you.

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 03-15-2011, 12:39 PM
C3 Leader

Anyone in the LAX area? I need something picked up tonight.

Also, I have a barrage of pm's that I am trying to get to, so please bear with me til I get to my computer.
Andrew
Old 03-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
[B]
That being said, it would be cool if everyone dressed like this:

JUST KIDDING! That would weird everyone out, totally. But LA is close to Hollywood. But, seriously - don't do it!
but, that is how I was planning to dress!

ps: Hollywood is just a neighborhood of LA.
Old 03-15-2011, 1:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Informational flyer and CCRKBA Press Release have been posted to the OP.

NRA Benefactor Member