Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Just picked up the Harbor Freight dual 3lb tumbler and 2lbs of SS Jewelers media from Amazon. I have since learned that the SS Jewelers media, while nice, is a ripoff as far as value, I think I paid around $44.00 for 2lbs. There are other posts here detailing where to buy the SS media much cheaper, but live and learn from my mistake.

Do you have a good recipe for how many 9mm/.45 ACP cases, how much water, soap and Lemi-shine we should be using for our small, low budget, low capacity Harbor Freight tumblers? All of the recipes I see are for people using the much larger Thumlers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo5oh View Post
Tom aka rec42, great write up. Everyone else, if you want ti get into SS tumbling cheap and you're ok with smaller batches there is a harbor freight rotary tumbler (single or dual) that can be picked up for under $50. I found that 1 lb of SS "jewelers pins" worked well for me in each tub (the dual has 2 tubs). From the internet reading I've done if you run it too long it will come out tarnished looking as Tom was saying above. If this happens run it through again and it should come out all shiny and new like nothing happened.
There was a thread in here where someone was talking about using just critic acid (lemishine) with no soap and it had the same affect.
Anyone serious about SS media cleaning their brass please search this forum there has been MANY threads on it.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Old 03-24-2013, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Just picked up the Harbor Freight dual 3lb tumbler and 2lbs of SS Jewelers media from Amazon. I have since learned that the SS Jewelers media, while nice, is a ripoff as far as value, I think I paid around $44.00 for 2lbs. There are other posts here detailing where to buy the SS media much cheaper, but live and learn from my mistake.

Do you have a good recipe for how many 9mm/.45 ACP cases, how much water, soap and Lemi-shine we should be using for our small, low budget, low capacity Harbor Freight tumblers? All of the recipes I see are for people using the much larger Thumlers.
Some here reported good things of tumbling without the SS, basically letting the brass burnish each other. If you're willing to try this, try using social casualty's solution by mixing 1gal water, 2 tbsp dish soap, .25tsp lemishine, use 2 cups of the solution to 2lbs of brass per drum. If you're dead set on using SS, start with using M27's ratio of 1lb SS, 1lb brass and 2 cups of the solution per drum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillAllGuns View Post
Black color scheme makes the bullets more deadly.
Old 03-24-2013, 6:00 PM

Using Tumbler model B squirt of dish soap 1/4 tsp Lemonshine and enough water to 3/4 fill the drum after adding Brass and 5 lbs SS pins. 30 min and rinse and dry. Shiny and new looking.
Old 03-24-2013, 6:50 PM

Capybara, I don't have a fixed recipe. I just leave the ~1 lb of pins, add enough brass to fill it 1/2 to 2/3 then fill to about 3/4 with water, add a squirt of dish soap and a pinch (1/2 a teaspoon or so) of lemishine. Don't add the soap before the water or you won't be able to close it.
As to the jewelers ss pins, i decided to get pins thicker than the commonly used size. I think most use 1/16 wide by 1/2 long and mine are 1/8" by 1/2". Some have reported pins stuck in their brass, this can't happen to me but they are still small enough to clean the primer pocket.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I just made an order to Pellets LLC for the SS cut wire shot. They said that they have recently raised their prices dude to demand... go figure. Anyways, the minimum order is now 25 lbs!

I placed an order, for the 25 lbs, but will never use that much. If any of you are interested in some of my stash, shoot me a PM and I will send some out. Not looking to profit, so I will divide it at actual cost and ship it. Just want to help you out for people that want smaller orders.

And no I'm not putting this in the sales forum! This is specific to this thread.

Last edited by Ferrum; 04-05-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Old 04-05-2013, 1:52 PM

For quantity SS tumbling I use the small cement mixer Harbor Freight sells for about $100. A couple gallons of water, a teaspoon of dish detergent and a 1/4 cup or so of Lemishine. 45 minutes to an hour or so, depending on the condition of the brass, and you'll be happy. I decap rifle brass first so the pockets get cleaned and the water drains better. I use the brass sorter pans to separate the pins and water from the brass, then spread them out on a towel or blanket to dry -- though I have used the sweater rack in the dryer on rainy days.
Resize, trim, prime and toss them in a vibratory tumbler with walnut and some NuFinish car polish and half a dryer static sheet and you have wonderful brass. The SS burnishes more than polishes, but the walnut puts a polish on it that a DI would love.
The SS pins I use are 1/4" long, though I have seen larger size advertised.

Walnut media for bright brass
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=621214
Old 04-05-2013, 2:23 PM

Default PM Sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrum View Post
I just made an order to Pellets LLC for the SS cut wire shot. They said that they have recently raised their prices dude to demand... go figure. Anyways, the minimum order is now 25 lbs!

I placed an order, for the 25 lbs, but will never use that much. If any of you are interested in some of my stash, shoot me a PM and I will send some out. Not looking to profit, so I will divide it at actual cost and ship it. Just want to help you out for people that want smaller orders.

And no I'm not putting this in the sales forum! This is specific to this thread.
PM Sent
Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto510 View Post
You can get the stainless media for $5 a pound here http://www.pelletsllc.com/
you just have to call them ask for it. They also shipped it in a flat rate box too so the shipping wasn't bad.

I was going to make a drying rack but then I noticed that I already had one, the useless sweater rack for my dryer, and my 416 Barrett brass and 50 cal fits perfect. I just spread a towel out on the rack when I need to dry smaller stuff.
Your information is misleading. If you want it at $5.00 a lb then you need to buy about 250lbs of it. THEN there is a matter of shipping costs.

That is why there are a few folks that have bought some to meet their minimum order and then are selling off the rest... Cause let's face it, who really needs 50 lbs of this stuff on hand?

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

Author of the NY Times Best Selling book: How to Cheat and Win Like a Pro at Solitaire