Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-12-2011, 6:44 PM

Default Pick myself up a Stainless Steel Media tumbler & I must say WOW!

Never thought I would be so impressed by a tumbler and I must say that I was a little skeptic at first but once I opened the lid off my new Thumler's Tumbler model B Stainless Steel media Brass cleaner (actually its a hobby Rock tumbler using Stainless media) I was blown away. Not only did it clean the used brass but it cleaned it so well it looks better then brand new brass including completely cleaning/polishing the outer and inner walls of the case & the primer pockets!

BEFORE, once fired brass

AFTER

的t is not the possession of truth,
but the success which attends
the seeking after it, that enriches
the seeker and brings
happiness to him."
Old 03-12-2011, 7:11 PM

] so i googled it and that stuff is pretty pricey.
Old 03-12-2011, 7:55 PM

A little costly but quiet and you never have to replace the stainless media just as long as you don't loose it down the sink when straining it out also the only thing you will ever need to buy is Dawn dish soap and Lemi Shine Detergent. My suggestion would be to check out hobby sites selling these tumblers as rock polishing and not sites marketing them as brass case cleaners. I noticed the reloading industry is bumping up the cost significantly. I picked up mine on sale for 119.95 from HobbyWarehouse.com but as of now the sale is over so there back up to 165.97 but that is still better then 180-220 from all others.

the seeker and brings
happiness to him."
Old 03-12-2011, 8:12 PM
Veteran Member

My .223 rounds get tumbled with the rest of the pistol brass.

But my .308 rounds get cleaned/polished using the wifeys Thumblers tumbler. It works great, especially since I do not shoot high volumes of .308 rounds from a bolt action. (Verses 300 or 400 hundred rounds from my carbine, just during practice).

In Christ: Raymond
Old 03-12-2011, 8:30 PM

Yeesh ten bucks a pound? That brass is super shiny though...
Old 03-12-2011, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Casualty View Post
Never thought I would be so impressed by a tumbler and I must say that I was a little skeptic at first but once I opened the lid off my new Thumler's Tumbler model B Stainless Steel media Brass cleaner (actually its a hobby Rock tumbler using Stainless media) I was blown away. Not only did it clean the used brass but it cleaned it so well it looks better then brand new brass including completely cleaning/polishing the outer and inner walls of the case & the primer pockets!
How many pounds of SS media did you buy?
Old 03-12-2011, 9:16 PM

5 pounds of SS media

the seeker and brings
happiness to him."
Old 03-12-2011, 9:35 PM

Quote:
5 pounds of SS media
Thanks.
That is a pretty stark comparison there; very impressive!

How many and what kind of shells can you fit in there at a time?
Old 03-12-2011, 9:41 PM

Have you experienced any peening of the brass? I read another forum that someone had issues with the brand getting peened. I was looking hard into SS media as well but settled on ultrasonic for now. Drying is a pain in the butt.
Old 03-12-2011, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
Thanks.
That is a pretty stark comparison there; very impressive!

How many and what kind of shells can you fit in there at a time?
I just got it so was testing it out but so far I have done 3 loads of about 180-220 5.56 rounds per load as well as I through in a couple 57 and 762 rounds in just for comparison.

the seeker and brings
happiness to him."
Old 03-12-2011, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Have you experienced any peening of the brass? I read another forum that someone had issues with the brand getting peened. I was looking hard into SS media as well but settled on ultrasonic for now. Drying is a pain in the butt.
As that I have only done 3 loads so far I haven't run into any signs of peened brass but will keep a look out for that. As for drying I rinsed the finished bass under hot/warm water then shook them out, laid them on a new window screen and placed them in the sun to dry. Within an hour they were good to go.

the seeker and brings
happiness to him."
Old 03-13-2011, 3:23 AM

Why do you need to rinse the brass?
Old 03-13-2011, 8:21 AM
Banned

I wonder if an SS metal deposits on/in the brass? When you shoot the gun you could be fouling the chamber and barrel with a micro amount of SS metal and over time it does some strange damage?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Why do you need to rinse the brass?
I rinse the bass for 2 reasons, 1st to make sure all the SS media is removed and there is no soap residue left behind on the brass & 2nd so that I heat up the brass with hot/warm water so that it will quicken the evaporation of the water so that the bass will dry off quicker.

Keep in mind that when cleaning brass in a SS tumbler that this is a WET process. When beginning the tumbling what you add in the tumbler is 5 lb Stainless Media - Brass cases - 1 Gallon of Water - 2 Tablespoons Dawn dish washing soap - .25 Teaspoon Lemi-Shine Detergent so it is a good practice to rinse your freshly tumbled brass once the process is complete.

Lemi-Shine Detergent
An additive that helps shine the brass and create a more effective cleaning solution for brass. LemiShine is an all natural product that contains natural fruit acids and oils. This is key to help shine and clean the brass. Sold in a 12 oz. bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
I wonder if an SS metal deposits on/in the brass? When you shoot the gun you could be fouling the chamber and barrel with a micro amount of SS metal and over time it does some strange damage?
I have never read/heard of something on that line, since the SS is such a dense media I don't think you will have to ever be concerned of this. I just don't see how brass soap and water would break down Stainless Steel not to mention you are only going to be tumbling the brass not the actual bullet that passes through the barrel so fowling doesn't seem to be a concern, but I will look into it. Cheers!

the seeker and brings
happiness to him."
Old 03-13-2011, 2:34 PM
Banned

Have to agree! It will turn brass you normally wouldn't even pick up into looking new again! I found it worth the cost not to deal with the dust anymore.
Old 03-13-2011, 4:59 PM

You can get the stainless media for $5 a pound here http://www.pelletsllc.com/
you just have to call them ask for it. They also shipped it in a flat rate box too so the shipping wasn't bad.

I was going to make a drying rack but then I noticed that I already had one, the useless sweater rack for my dryer, and my 416 Barrett brass and 50 cal fits perfect. I just spread a towel out on the rack when I need to dry smaller stuff.
Old 03-13-2011, 5:24 PM

Awesome Idea! The clothes dryer I didn't even think of it, THANKS Moto510!

the seeker and brings
happiness to him."
Old 03-13-2011, 9:22 PM

Yeah, but the brass would probably smell better with some downy drier sheets.

But really, it looks like stainless is the way to go. I'll be ordering mine.

Tried the Hornady Ultrasonic Cleaner with the Hornady case cleaner solution, but it just has too many limitations: costly cleaner to purchase, very limited amount of brass can be cleaned at one time, takes several 480 second cycles (I was doing it 3 to 6 times), and it just doesn't get them nearly as clean as that stainless steel media appears to do.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:06 PM

Do you have to have a special type of tumbler? Or can you do this with any old tumbler?
Old 03-13-2011, 10:29 PM

I have the Dillon and Lyman tumblers. Do you have to use the stainless stuff in a solution?? Or will it work dry??
Old 03-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamezduffy View Post
Yeah, but the brass would probably smell better with some downy drier sheets.

But really, it looks like stainless is the way to go. I'll be ordering mine.

Tried the Hornady Ultrasonic Cleaner with the Hornady case cleaner solution, but it just has too many limitations: costly cleaner to purchase, very limited amount of brass can be cleaned at one time, takes several 480 second cycles (I was doing it 3 to 6 times), and it just doesn't get them nearly as clean as that stainless steel media appears to do.
I initially looked at the big name "reloading" ultrasonics and found it was more cost effective/better quality to get one off flea bay. Wound up with a heated 3ltr model and it'll run up to 55 minutes. This makes it easier to dump in larger quantities and walk away. I don't use their cocktail to clean, way to expensive. PM me and i'll give you my recipe. I still use a tumbler to make them super shiny after the ultrasonic cleaning.
Old 03-14-2011, 5:37 AM

Quote:
A little costly but quiet and you never have to replace the stainless media just as long as you don't loose it down the sink when straining it out also the only thing you will ever need to buy is Dawn dish soap and Lemi Shine Detergent. My suggestion would be to check out hobby sites selling these tumblers as rock polishing and not sites marketing them as brass case cleaners. I noticed the reloading industry is bumping up the cost significantly. I picked up mine on sale for 119.95 from HobbyWarehouse.com but as of now the sale is over so there back up to 165.97 but that is still better then 180-220 from all others.
Approximately how many 9mm cases could you load in this tumber with 5lbs of media?
Old 03-14-2011, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Do you have to have a special type of tumbler? Or can you do this with any old tumbler?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
I have the Dillon and Lyman tumblers. Do you have to use the stainless stuff in a solution?? Or will it work dry??
You need a rotary tumbler with a water tight container. Check out Thumler's Tumbler. It uses a solution of water and a detergent called Lemi-Shine.
Old 03-14-2011, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc View Post
Approximately how many 9mm cases could you load in this tumber with 5lbs of media?
Its recommended that when cleaning 9mm brass to not exceed 230pc but I have broken that recommendation when cleaning 5.56 by about 10-15% with no problems at all.

the seeker and brings
happiness to him."
Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM

Do you have the Thumler's Tumbler model B with the fast upgraded motor? the 15lb model?

I'm looking into one of these as I saw this begin at snipershide. I did not know they came out THAT clean. Only issues is I would like to be able to throw 500-600 .223 or 1000 pieces of 9mm into it. If it can't handle that then I might as well get a large vib tumbler.
Old 03-14-2011, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yeesh ten bucks a pound? That brass is super shiny though...
Yes, it is. However, my .38 Spl brass ends up looking about that shiny, at least on the outside, and I use corn cob media. I don't worry about the inside, since I'm not yet a good enough shot for it to matter. :-D
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.

Last edited by Cowboy T; 03-14-2011 at 4:22 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 03-14-2011, 8:36 PM

Default use enough soap

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
I'm a noob to the reloading game, but I've been using SS shot tumblers for a long time to shine up non-ferrous metals.

The short answer is that you can transfer SS from the shot to the work if you aren't careful. I couldn't say if the amount of metal transferred would have any impact on the function of the rounds, but they can come out looking like ****. It's pretty depressing to pull open a tumbler expecting a glittering surface on your work only to see that everything is a nasty, gray color.

Here's the long answer:

When working correctly SS shot tumblers actually have a burnishing action, not an abrasive action. No metal is removed from the work and the shot is not worn down. The surface of the work is smoothed out by countless little impacts from the shot. Think of it as huge collection of tiny hammers. This is a very gentle action, and I've never seen distortion of any work I've tumbled. I don't know exactly what "peening" means to a reloader, but there's no way the shot is going to change the shape or thickness of a brass case during tumbling. (I've tumbled things that aren't much different from 3" long pieces of brass wire .020" dia and they come out as straight as they went in.)

The process is hard to screw up if you use plenty of soap and don't over tumble.

In order for the shot to hit the surface and slide off smoothly, you need what the metallurgy guys call "lubricity" between the two metals. The soap does that here. Without the soap, the shot scrapes along the surface of the work rather than sliding off. That's where you can get SS transferred to the work.

You can buy special "burnishing soap" for $$$ from the tumbler makers, or just hike it down to the big box store and get a jug of cheap liquid dish detergent. Try to get the el-cheapo kind that is not "ultra". The ultra stuff is so strong that it will eat up your black rubber barrels over time.

How much soap is enough and how much tumbling is too much? As usual, it depends. My rule is that I want to see a few suds in the tumbler when I open it up at the end of a run. In a 6# barrel I just put in a healthy squirt from the squeeze bottle. Within reason, you can't use too much soap, you're just wasting it if you go overboard. I usually tumble for 1-2 hours. Any more time is a waste if everything is working properly. And, if you tumble too long, you run the risk of using up your soap, losing lubricity, and getting a film of SS deposited on your work.

SS shot tumbling is doing two things for you here: removing light tarnish on the surface and smoothing out the finest scratches. Both of these make the case look dull. No amount of SS shot tumbling will remove a deep scratch or ding...but shouldn't you toss those cases anyway?

One other tip: don't overload the barrels. Two runs of 1 hour each with a properly loaded tumbler is a lot more effective than a two hour run of the thing crammed full.

HTH....

Tom
Old 03-14-2011, 8:42 PM
Veteran Member

Tag
Old 03-20-2011, 9:56 AM

lets bring this one up. see if anyone else has some input!
Old 03-23-2013, 2:01 PM

Tag for more

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
John F. Kennedy

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε САЙГА-12
Old 03-23-2013, 4:01 PM

[QUOTE=Social Casualty;5991000]Never thought I would be so impressed by a tumbler and I must say that I was a little skeptic at first but once I opened the lid off my new Thumler's Tumbler model B Stainless Steel media Brass cleaner (actually its a hobby Rock tumbler using Stainless media) I was blown away. Not only did it clean the used brass but it cleaned it so well it looks better then brand new brass including completely cleaning/polishing the outer and inner walls of the case & the primer pockets!

[]

8lbs of brass
10 lbs of SS media
2gls hot water
soap
lemin shine
2 hrs

dry in oven 2o mis @ 250
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue.jpg (25.6 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg brass2.jpg (27.8 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-23-2013, 4:40 PM

Probably the best investment I have made in my reloading gear. I say that because the system was actually more than my press, but investing that amount of money? for a tumbler? Yes it was an investment that keeps paying off every time I use it. I still use the dry vibratory for polishing up completed rounds or if something gets tarnished.
As for drying, up until I saw the Dryer rack ( brilliant ) Ive been using a cookie sheet to spred out the brass and put them in the oven on 125 for an hour or so.
Old 03-23-2013, 5:49 PM

Tom aka rec42, great write up. Everyone else, if you want ti get into SS tumbling cheap and you're ok with smaller batches there is a harbor freight rotary tumbler (single or dual) that can be picked up for under $50. I found that 1 lb of SS "jewelers pins" worked well for me in each tub (the dual has 2 tubs). From the internet reading I've done if you run it too long it will come out tarnished looking as Tom was saying above. If this happens run it through again and it should come out all shiny and new like nothing happened.
There was a thread in here where someone was talking about using just critic acid (lemishine) with no soap and it had the same affect.
Anyone serious about SS media cleaning their brass please search this forum there has been MANY threads on it.
Old 03-23-2013, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto510 View Post
You can get the stainless media for $5 a pound here http://www.pelletsllc.com/
you just have to call them ask for it. They also shipped it in a flat rate box too so the shipping wasn't bad.
What size shot?

http://www.pelletsllc.com/CutWireShot/CutWireShotSizes
Old 03-23-2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
wich model did you get?...I see they have 2-3 diff models
Old 03-24-2013, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Guy View Post
wich model did you get?...I see they have 2-3 diff models
I did not see it on the link above, but here it is on another website:

http://www.therockshed.com/tumbler7.html

You want the high speed model; 3000 RPM at the bottom of the page
Old 03-24-2013, 9:31 AM

There is definitely some removal of brass material during the tumbling process, as there is a very very fine silt of brass colored material swirling around in the water after the tumble is complete, powder-fine, I'm talking about, and not a lot, but it's there. I will also observe that the process can slightly round over the knife-edge of the case mouths left by a Giraud trimmer, so I would not recommend tumbling too long if you have cases that are trimmed to min spec (better yet, do NOT trim to min spec but instead trim to something closer to mid - max).
Old 03-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Everytime I see one of these threads I am so tempted to get one of those Thumbler Model B's. It is so appealing to my AR side.

Then I go out to the range and sit down on the station next to an old timer I have learned a ton from and watch him shoot one hole groups with his vernier sighted high wall, using lead bullets he cast himself and 16gr's of 4198 with a paper wad to hold it in place, all the time using some of the gnarliest looking brass (from a tarnish point of view) and am torn.

Which is more appealing, brass that looks like new or brass that looks as old as the shooter. I guess that is a question that has perplexed philosophers down through the ages...
Old 03-24-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwc View Post
Capacity is one of the bigest complaints with the thumblers tumbler. It has a 15 pound capacity.

STM.com recomends 5 pounds media, 1 gallon of water (8 pounds) and 2 pounds of brass. In 9mm that translates to about 220 pieces.

For about a year now I have been using a 5-5-5 combo with great results. This gives about 550 pieces per load.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthusian View Post
Wanted to bump this question, didn't see it answered and would like to know also.

To confirm, it sounds like about 2 hours of tumbling time?