Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

Talking [2012 update] CGF Booth @ the World Ag Expo 2011: Epic Success!

*[2012 UPDATE!]*
See the official thread for CGF at the 2012 World Ag Expo, brought to you by PRK Arms and Brown's Diesel.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=524866

CGF @ World Ag Expo 2011: Gun-Rights Grassroots Proving Highly Successful

California’s San Joaquin (“Central”) Valley is made up of some of the most diverse, fertile soil in the world and is accordingly home to what is referred to as “The Ag Industry”. Years ago, a group began an annual meeting that came to be known as “The Farm Show”. Located in the heart of the Central Valley, Tulare County, people from all around the area would come show off their latest products and R&D. Moving forward thirty years to today, it has become The World Ag Expo, not only drawing farmers from nearby but political and industry leaders, major corporations, and attendees from literally all around the world. This grand 3-day event has over 1,600 exhibitors that sees well over 100,000 attendees, more than many California cities.

2011 marks year 2 that The Calguns Foundation has had a presence thanks to an ambitious group of volunteers and supporters who made it happen. Always direct, Brandon told me I was a bit crazy (which still may be a valid claim) for wanting to utilize one of the 40’x40’ 1600 square foot outdoor exhibit spaces; until our 2010 CGF Ag Expo booth, a single 8 foot table at an indoor gun show had been the norm. Our volunteers used every inch, however; we filled the booth with dozens of California-compliant firearms, backed up with thousands of flowcharts and other literature to hand out to the Expo attendees walking by, our booth stopping them dead in their tracks with sheer disbelief. We were there to assist in educating people on how and why we’re able to own what we currently have in California, and what the future of firearms ownership looks like for us. I sincerely believe we were again successful on all fronts.

Talk about a visual impact - as an attendee, you’re walking from booth to booth on seemingly endless clay dirt streets and you see rows and rows of tractors, wood chippers, well casings, irrigation equipment, 7 tables full of black rifles - wait, RIFLES?!! Is THAT an AK!? An incredible number of folks who approached the booth lowered their demeanor to near depression and would state, “too bad we can’t own these in California...” which made for a seamless transition into conversation about the Calguns Foundation and how everything they were viewing WAS something they could buy in California, right now - not only that it was legal, but how and why, and most importantly, how they themselves could get involved in the process and see real, tangible results in the fight to regain our rights.

I would be remiss to only make one mention of the volunteers that showed up or the financial sponsors that made this years’ booth possible: Brown’s Diesel in Riverdale and Liberty Firearms in Reedley were crucial and outspoken supporters this year. Having a very cohesive volunteer team displayed well the diversity and the wealth of knowledge present in our culture, and the effects that come from this community taking action. Things like having a member show up with a hand-built table we cable-locked display handguns to (made specifically for this event), a bilingual volunteer, an iPad to look up information with the visitors, extra canopies so we could shade visitors and our team from the Valley sun, and even a CGF board member to officially address some of the ‘big fish’.

What does next year look like? Based on two years of epic success and increased interest in financial sponsorship of this event, it looks as though we’re outgrowing the 40’x40’ boundaries; it looks like something belt fed; it looks like a Baja race truck for some additional visual interest; it looks like even more CGF educational opportunities and a waiting list to volunteer at the booth. Keep an eye on your Community Chapter for more details of the exciting plans for 2012!

I want to personally extend a huge thank-you and congratulations to the 2011 CGF Ag Expo team, who once again educated thousands of Californians and proved to the WORLD that we’re not only capable of, but actively bringing change in California, restoring our right to keep and bear arms. I also want to thank Calguns Foundation for supporting this critical outreach effort for the second straight year. We are winning, and this is one reason why.

-Jonathan

2011 Ag Expo Team:

www.BrownsDiesel.com
www.LibertyFirearms.net
Mr. and Mrs. Greasemonkey
Operator
GUNFREAK
Desert_Rat
Olivecookiemonsta
Peopleofthesun
Bloodsmear
Smokeybehr
St. James
Calscaper
Maniac Zach
E. Pluribus Unum
Airtechjr.
Wildhawker
Homemade

Event Photos:

Last edited by greasemonkey; 01-23-2012 at 8:52 AM..
Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Banned

Old 03-12-2011, 12:28 AM

It was an amazing experience for me. Thank you fellow volunteers for teaching me things and for all that you did. Especially our leader Jonathan that put it all together awesome job man. Thanks for stopping by Brandon it gave us a nice boost. It was great to see how much people actually supported what we were doing. Lots of handshakes, thank you's, and donations. The amount of people that came by surprised me. So many stories and experiences to talk about lol. I can't wait for next year! Here are some video I took.

Last edited by peopleofthesun; 03-12-2011 at 12:32 AM..
Old 03-12-2011, 7:40 AM
Gold Member...Oh Behave!
CGN Contributor

Wow! Great Job, I never would have thought of an Ag expo as a venue. You guys are awesome. Thanks for the time you put in to this.
Old 03-12-2011, 8:04 AM
Banned

Haha, the couple in this video was a scene we saw so many times over the course of 3 days: couple walking holding hands, guy turns his head while they're walking forward and then he starts veering over to our booth...she doesn't realize any of this until their arms straighten out from him turning and her not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleofthesun View Post
Old 03-12-2011, 8:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

This is just one more example of why Calguns is the "A-Team"
Old 03-12-2011, 9:01 AM

Outstanding!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 9:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Great job.

If the venue allows it, you might want to have a banner attached to the pop-up tents that says Calguns or some such.
CGN and NVS
Old 03-12-2011, 9:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Well done guys.
Old 03-12-2011, 9:32 AM

Good job everyone.

What skills/knowledge do the volunteers need?

Every time you post a For Sale thread without pictures, God kills a kitten.
Old 03-12-2011, 9:38 AM
Banned

One of several improvements we have in mind for next year. There were so many people at the booth that you really couldn't see the banners very well, good thing we had business cards for Liberty and Browns! Next time they'll be right in front of the canopy top so people walk under the banners when they walk in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1911 View Post
Great job.

If the venue allows it, you might want to have a banner attached to the pop-up tents that says Calguns or some such.
Old 03-12-2011, 9:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Perfect. When I watched the videos, that was the first thing that popped in my mind. Having done 100s of trade shows and participated at the Ag Expo (inside the building with a booth). Signage to draw people in is critical.

Anyway, great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
One of several improvements we have in mind for next year. There were so many people at the booth that you really couldn't see the banners very well, good thing we had business cards for Liberty and Browns! Next time they'll be right in front of the canopy top so people walk under the banners when they walk in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1911
Great job.

CGN and NVS
Old 03-12-2011, 12:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1911 View Post
Great job.

+1 Need a CalGuns banner mounted to the top of the center canopy so that people can see it from a good distance.

When I was doing shows we had a banner mounted quite high (10+ feet) so it could be spotted from anywhere in the hall.

tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC booth.JPG (48.4 KB, 30 views)
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 03-12-2011, 1:05 PM

Educating and wiinning hearts and minds. You can't hardly ask for more. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-12-2011, 1:54 PM
Banned

There was a lady walking by with a younger girl that seemed to be her grand-daughter, both sporting tie-die shirts, berkenstocks and nappy hair...she grabbed the girls hand hand and increased their pace as they walked by the booth and intentionally "said" as loud as possible without actually yelling "all those over there are illegal machine guns!". I hope she walks by next year, she'll likely soil herself.

I think she was the only one we really didn't get a chance to win over, mostly due to staying true to the basics of ignorance in throwing an incorrect accusation and leaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Educating and wiinning hearts and minds. You can't hardly ask for more. Thanks for sharing!
In addition to the above referenced plan for next year that will likely make kittens cry (which I'm currently not at liberty to disclose), hopefully we'll have stacks of STANDARD CAPACITY magazines to display as recently legally acquired items!!!

Last edited by greasemonkey; 03-12-2011 at 2:00 PM..
Old 03-12-2011, 3:01 PM
Veteran Member

Okay so, CGF went to an AG show, that's a good thing, and CGF was at the Police Chiefs shindig, which again is a good thing. So when will the Booshanky's of Calguns do a booth at a flaming liberal gathering. Those other deals just seemed like you were preaching to the choir and to the back sliders, but what about reaching out to the unsaved ?
Speaking about the destruction of the United States. "I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves must be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men, we must live through all times, or die by suicide. Abraham Lincoln Speech at Edwardsville, IL, September 11, 1858

Godwin's law
Old 03-12-2011, 4:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Need to hire her next year to walk by the booth every couple of minutes and make her proclamation...

Tim

Quote:
There was a lady walking by with a younger girl that seemed to be her grand-daughter, both sporting tie-die shirts, berkenstocks and nappy hair...she grabbed the girls hand hand and increased their pace as they walked by the booth and intentionally "said" as loud as possible without actually yelling "all those over there are illegal machine guns!". I hope she walks by next year, she'll likely soil herself.

I think she was the only one we really didn't get a chance to win over, mostly due to staying true to the basics of ignorance in throwing an incorrect accusation and leaving.

In addition to the above referenced plan for next year that will likely make kittens cry (which I'm currently not at liberty to disclose), hopefully we'll have stacks of STANDARD CAPACITY magazines to display as recently legally acquired items!!!
"A free people ought not only to be armed but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well digested plan is requisite: And their safety and interest require, that they should promote such manufactories, as tend to render them independent on others for essential, particularly for military supplies." - George Washington, 1790
Old 03-12-2011, 6:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Okay so, CGF went to an AG show, that's a good thing, and CGF was at the Police Chiefs shindig, which again is a good thing. So when will the Booshanky's of Calguns do a booth at a flaming liberal gathering. Those other deals just seemed like you were preaching to the choir and to the back sliders, but what about reaching out to the unsaved ?
Preaching to the choir at the Police Chiefs Association Symposium??! Those guys weren't exactly swarmed with hi-fives and smiles, especially from Vallejo's chief (though from what I read, they were at least treated professionally by most of the folks there). I don't think the Sheriffs will be stopping by to sing kumbaya with CGF.

As for the Ag Expo, the most common comment of people coming up to the booth was people saying "too bad we can't own these in California". Reaching out to an already gun-friendly community who is not necessarily preaching to the choir like being at a gun show is.

For the most part, compared to folks that show up at a gun show, people at a non-firearms expo are unaware of what the actual laws are or how to find them, 'why' a certain configuration is legal or not, what to do if they need legal help, where to go shooting, how to transport, where to buy firearms, where to get training. You think FUD gets spread around here on the forum, jump into a community that's got little knowledge of actual PC/regs, no idea what the CGF/CRPA or SAF are and no idea that you don't have to consent to a search.

I should note here that I DO NOT see this event as successful because it's something that I helped with but because of the conversations and the results that we did have. We even had a local City PD officer march into the booth with a look on his face that lead some of us to believe he had a lemon in his mouth, he went around the booth testing the bullet buttons and fidgeting with the featureless stuff, it seemed as though he was bound and determined to find and "AW" there, it was pathetic (and I hope he reads this post/thread, too!)
Old 03-13-2011, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Preaching to the choir at the Police Chiefs Association Symposium??! Those guys weren't exactly swarmed with hi-fives and smiles, especially from Vallejo's chief (though from what I read, they were at least treated professionally by most of the folks there). I don't think the Sheriffs will be stopping by to sing kumbaya with CGF.
Nah, they were the back sliders. They know what's right, but do the wrong thing anyway.

Quote:
As for the Ag Expo, the most common comment of people coming up to the booth was people saying "too bad we can't own these in California". Reaching out to an already gun-friendly community who is not necessarily preaching to the choir like being at a gun show is.

For the most part, compared to folks that show up at a gun show, people at a non-firearms expo are unaware of what the actual laws are or how to find them, 'why' a certain configuration is legal or not, what to do if they need legal help, where to go shooting, how to transport, where to buy firearms, where to get training. You think FUD gets spread around here on the forum, jump into a community that's got little knowledge of actual PC/regs, no idea what the CGF/CRPA or SAF are and no idea that you don't have to consent to a search.

I should note here that I DO NOT see this event as successful because it's something that I helped with but because of the conversations and the results that we did have. We even had a local City PD officer march into the booth with a look on his face that lead some of us to believe he had a lemon in his mouth, he went around the booth testing the bullet buttons and fidgeting with the featureless stuff, it seemed as though he was bound and determined to find and "AW" there, it was pathetic (and I hope he reads this post/thread, too!)
But most of them were very receptive and embraced the second amendment and gun ownership. They may not know chapter and verse, and the shall and shall nots of gun ownership, but they would be willing to learn.

As for the cop looking for AW's, I wouldn't have been able to contain myself, and I would of asked him for his fishing license.

What CGF should do is set up a booth promoting conservation and how hunting protects game species through culling. Great places would be venues where the Sierra Club, PETA, HSUS, and other groups of that sort hang out. That would truly be an evangelical miracle if you could win them over.
Speaking about the destruction of the United States. "I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves must be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men, we must live through all times, or die by suicide. Abraham Lincoln Speech at Edwardsville, IL, September 11, 1858

Godwin's law

Last edited by The Shadow; 03-13-2011 at 9:20 AM..
Old 03-13-2011, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I agrwe! Booths a PETA, sierra club, "friends" of the river type orgs, college career fairs, county fairs, the state fair!!
Old 03-13-2011, 3:51 PM

The State Fair would be a great place for a table.
Old 03-13-2011, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

my spelling is terrible because i'm using my cell phone for posting.

anyways, I would be happy to volunteer at the State Fair booth.
Old 03-13-2011, 5:36 PM
Banned

The anti's aren't going to be won over by showing them literature or even firearms displays of what's legal; they don't care if/what/how it's legal, they just know the EBR's look scary and they don't think people should have them.

Taking anti's to the range is the way to win them over, educating gunnies and those on the fence on how they can know the laws, get involved in the CGF efforts and take others to the range to teach them will have a sustainable effect.

Maybe some of you that were actually at the Ag Expo booth can comment on whether or not this was an effective educational approach...

Last edited by greasemonkey; 03-13-2011 at 5:50 PM..
Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
The anti's aren't going to be won over by showing them literature or even firearms displays of what's legal; they don't care if/what/how it's legal, they just know the EBR's look scary and they don't think people should have them.

Taking anti's to the range is the way to win them over, educating gunnies and those on the fence on how they can know the laws, get involved in the CGF efforts and take others to the range to teach them will have a sustainable effect.

Maybe some of you that were actually at the Ag Expo booth can comment on whether or not this was an effective educational approach...
I agree competely. I think the people that came by left with some knowledge and a place where where they could find out more about all the crazy laws in California. 99% of the people I encountered had no idea who we were and were happy to see that someone was out standing up for their rights. I think the more we put ourselves out there, the more support we'll get from the people that care about whae we're doing. I think that's more important at the moment then trying to win over the anti's. I hope we can do more events like this in the valley.
Old 03-21-2011, 9:03 AM
Banned

That's why we're also resuming the build parties that used to happen regularly around here and trying to get some CGN'ers involved at their local ranges & FFL's to get a strong community base.

So far the most effective approach I've seen to win over an anti is a one-on-one interaction, whether that's shooting on private property or just a simple discussion. I've found that a formal range can be a bit intimidating to a newbie/anti; and so is a booth full of EBR's.

CGN community meets/organizes/unifies at events like this and then disperses to engage their individual communities, to convert the anti's. Sounds good, briefs well, execution of the plan is in the hands of volunteers

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleofthesun View Post
I agree competely. I think the people that came by left with some knowledge and a place where where they could find out more about all the crazy laws in California. 99% of the people I encountered had no idea who we were and were happy to see that someone was out standing up for their rights. I think the more we put ourselves out there, the more support we'll get from the people that care about whae we're doing. I think that's more important at the moment then trying to win over the anti's. I hope we can do more events like this in the valley.
Old 03-21-2011, 3:05 PM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

Great job guys! Looks like you did Good Stuff
Old 03-25-2011, 7:56 AM
Banned

For the volunteers who worked at the booth, what were some of the most common questions you heard?

What were some questions that you or other volunteers had some difficulty answering? (not looking to namedrop/throw anyone under the bus here, just looking for post-op data).

What were some of the most common topics brought up?
Old 03-25-2011, 8:04 AM
Banned

Some of the questions are pretty obvious to us here, let's try to keep on task on just posting up the questions/topics you heard and not get too caught up in discussing the answers.

Who is CalGuns/who are you guys/what do you guys do?
Are you guys part of the NRA?
Intra-familial Transfer to my brother?
Too bad we can't own any of these in California.
Is it illegal to possess a high-cap magazine?
WTF is the handgun roster?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Calguns Addict

The comments that I heard more than a few times were:

Questions about lawful transportation.
There seems to be a common misconception about carrying weapons in locked cases with or without the ammo in the same passenger compartment. We need to be clear that 12025 and 12031 (concealed and loaded) are completely separate issues and that 12025 only applies to long guns and that ammo need not be separate from the guns. (People v. Clark)

Questions about standard capacity magazines. There is a long-standing debate among calgunners about the legality of standard capacity magazines. Many argue that due to the spirit of the law, they are illegal. I heard more than one calgunner state that high capacity magazines were only legal to use if you owned them prior to 2001. This statement is false. We need to differentiate importation/manufacture from use. It is always legal to use a standard capacity magazine on a non-BB rifle.

The question I heard that took the cake was:

Quote:
Does your group have any affiliation with the skin-heads?
... and he was dead serious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:31 AM

I regularly heard people ask;
Where can I get ______________?
They also wanted to know who, would do single shot exemptions (after it was explained)
what's the difference between Calguns and the NRA...
How much does it cost to join Calguns?
does calguns support UOC?
a number of people asked about specific law questions, that I wouldn't even try to answer without being a lawyer. About registration of guns that should have been registers a long time ago and weren't, and stuff like that.

I was disappointed I didn't get any anti's
I did engage the Tulare S.O. that felt the need to check every Mag release to ensure it was a BB. He kept trying to ask us leading questions.
Old 03-25-2011, 9:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I did a few demos of the Bullet Button, explaining the difference between the difference between the AWCA named weapons and the SB23 features. I also explained the 10 round magazine limit, and why you could run a 30 rounder in a featureless build, and not in a rifle with features.

I did have someone ask me about whether he could own a firearm after being convicted of a crime. I started in with the prohibitions, then asked the PC273.5 question, and had to explain the Lautenberg Amendment to him.
Rule #1: Keep your booger hook off the bang-switch!
Cruz/West 2016 - You STILL want to call me a racist tea bagger?
Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 PM

Where can I get__________? was a common one.
Who is the CGF?
Can I carry this one on My CCW?
How do I get a CCW?
Can I make one of these into a full auto?

I only got 1 Anti, He asked "Why do you feel the need to arm 18 year olds with this kind of stuff?" "Why do you need these weapons?"

Then He proceeded to tell me how he was all for "Liberty and Freedom and such"

I just told him that "I feel no need to arm anybody, but since you are all for freedom and stuff, why would you want to stop me from being free to legally purchase these things?"

And I told him that "The need for me to have this stuff is because I want it in my collection,therefore I need to buy it to add it to the collection."

The dude just left after this.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
...and that 12025 only applies to long HAND guns..
FIXED
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Old 03-29-2011, 8:41 PM

Desert-Rat with the anti was priceless. He was left speechless..then walked away. Great Job!

The thing about common sense, it is not so common...Voltaire
Old 01-23-2012, 8:48 AM
Banned

This thread has died, become a zombie and died again, yet here I am fiddling with it.

For those of you subscribed to this thread, see the new thread for the 2012 World Ag Expo. Brought to you by PRK Arms and Browns Diesel.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=524866

See you there?