Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:15 PM

Unhappy Frazier Park Shooting Area Closed

Today, a few buddies asked me if I wanted to make a trip up to Frazier Park and do a little shooting. Since it had been a while since I'd shot, I decided that I would go. We drove for an hour and a half only to find that the Ranger Station had closed the shooting area.

We went to the Fire station and talked to some of the fire fighters. They clarified that the Ranger Station had closed the area down for the last few months due to fire hazard. They also said that it would re-open after they get some more rain. They also tried to help us find other areas to shoot. We were very appreciative for their help, but didn't have any luck.

On our way home, we stopped at a little gun shop over there. The lady behind the counter told us that the Ranger Station had closed it down until Spring of 2007. She also encouraged us to go complain at the Ranger Station.

We drove over to the Ranger Station and complained. He told us that they had actually closed down all free-hike / off-road trails / huting and shooting areas surrounding. He said they would all be re-opened soon with the exception of the free-shoot area. He said that the area was completely burnt and they have to wait until Spring of 2007 before there is a decent root structure. Then they will re-evaluate.

On the way out, we saw a hunter who had gotten ejected from the area. He told us that he was hunting for deer and that he'd been told to leave by a Ranger. He also said that he'd seen a ton of ATV's and dirt bikes around the area and the Park Rangers hadn't given them any grief.

Anyway, this is just an FYI for those of you who were thinking about doing a little shooting or hunting in the Frazier Park area. We were advised to contact the Ranger Department prior to driving up next time. We ended up getting our shooting fix at a local indoor range.

Too bad, I really wanted to shoot my AR. Oh well, life goes on.
Old 10-16-2006, 6:53 PM

Hope they open soon. I love it there.
Old 10-16-2006, 7:26 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Another reason to be a responsible shooter! Can't let our spots get closed down.

Turby
Old 10-16-2006, 7:34 PM
Veteran Member

Damn! I usually go there with some buddies the day after Thanksgiving. Thanks for letting us know. Can't say I really blame them though. The only problem is that we have to be even more persistant on them reopening it. Otherwise they will just find it too conveniant to keep it closed. The only thing I didn't like up there was that there was always some idiot shooting across the road.

A government is a body of people usually notably ungoverned.

-Shepard Booke
Old 10-17-2006, 2:38 PM

I know what you mean Sydwaiz. Almost every time I went someone was in that one spot shooting of which the bullets go across the road. TICKS me off. I mean, you have to know what is behind whatever you're shooting at .
Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 AM

Default Frazier park free shooting area open now.

Just called the ranger up in Frazier Park, ca.

He said the shooting area is open, It's muddy right now because of the rains but other than that you can shoot there.

I'd call ahead to make sure. Google maps: frazier park ranger station. The number will come up.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

i fought a fire caused by someone shooting. It happens.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

Cleveland National Forest....they close it for "high" fire hazard conditions, and they close it after it rains substantially...

...eventually, it'll only be open on sunny Wednesday afternoons in late May, between 2:58 pm and 4:02 pm...
Old 02-22-2008, 2:57 PM
Veteran Member

do you guys do clean ups there? Show the Forest you care about the area.
Our ranger district cleaned up a shooting area this last summer. I don't know of our district stopping anyone from shooting even during fire season. We will chase after you if you have a campfire in a bad area during fire season.
This summer i am going to try and get all my firefighters together to go shooting in the forest, we are all gun owners so we might as well right?
Old 02-22-2008, 5:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Necro-Posting is BAD. . .

#5 10-17-2006, 03:38 PM M1A_KICHI
Senior Member Join Date: Aug 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know what you mean Sydwaiz. Almost every time I went someone was in that one spot shooting of which the bullets go across the road. TICKS me off. I mean, you have to know what is behind whatever you're shooting at .

#6 02-22-2008, 12:23 PM bubejunkie
Junior Member Join Date: Jan 2008

Frazier park free shooting area open now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just called the ranger up in Frazier Park, ca.

He said the shooting area is open, It's muddy right now because of the rains but other than that you can shoot there.

I'd call ahead to make sure. Google maps: frazier park ranger station. The number will come up.

Bube. . . please feel free to introduce yourself here. . .

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...splay.php?f=63
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene

Last edited by Stormfeather; 02-22-2008 at 5:20 PM..
Old 02-22-2008, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
Necro-Posting is BAD. . .

Who f'n cares?

By my count he provided good information by stating that the area was open, quite a natural continuation of the thread in fact.

I'd really like a Colt 1903 frame, bad finish okay!
I'm also looking for a good deal on a 1911 frame or two for budget/spare parts builds.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:37 AM

Hey there storm: Sure thing!

I just introduced myself on that thread.

serg*