Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 03-09-2011, 3:47 PM

Default 7.62x54R in Finnish M39

I'm a bit confused. From what I've been reading a lot of Finnish M39's are chambered in 7.62x53R, but the 7.62x54R is interchangeable? Can someone with an M39 straighten me out... thanks.
Old 03-09-2011, 3:59 PM

Pretty much. Some say in some of the Finn target rifle they actually are a bit tight and can't use the milsurp 7.62x54r ammo.
Old 03-09-2011, 4:00 PM

I don't think I've ever heard of x53r... is it still made?
Old 03-09-2011, 4:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Born and raised in California, but living in a slightly more free state now

I recommend that you slug your bore as described here http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm

I was going to use .310 bullets in 7.62x53R ammo I was making for my M28/76. But then I slugged the bore and it measured .308, so I switched to .308 bullets.
Old 03-09-2011, 4:25 PM

Default I think I found an answer

If I had an M39 with a "D" marked barrel all 7.62x54r ammo should be fine. From http://mosinnagant.net/finland/The-Finnish-M27.asp:

This "D" stamping denotes that the rifles chamber has been altered to accept the Finnish D-166 heavy ball bullet. This change was done to accommodate a chamber size that would be able to use all types of 7.62x54R ammunition. The Finnish forces had captured vast quantities of Russian ammunition and it often was not useable in the m/27 due to the Finnish rifles tighter chamber tolerances. This alteration solved that problem and enabled the use of all captured ammunition as well as the new D-166 ball ammo and MG cartridges of the Finnish weapons of the day. It is very uncommon to find a Finnish rifle of any kind that has not been marked with this "D" stamping to indicate this modification. One of the most puzzling markings commonly found on the m/27 is the capitol letter "F" found over the date of the rifle on the barrel shank. This letter was erroneously thought by others to be the designation of Swedish Fägestra steel used in the fabrication of the barrel production. This is not the correct meaning of the "F" marking. In actuality the "F" marking is one of three that were used. The trial rifles of the m/27 series were marked with an "A" to denote the shape and contuor of the neck area of the chamber. The Finnish army had been experimenting with different bullet loads and shell casing measurements to determine the optimum cartridge to achieve the greatest accuracy out of the m/27. The first shell designation with a modified casing measurements in the neck area-that was made with a much steeper shoulder than the normal Finnish 7.62x53R cartridge, was the "A" cartridge designation. This shell was not adopted for wide spread use and the marking was dropped. No known m/27 that I am aware of are found with this "A" chamber shape marking. (The author would be glad to offer a great trade should one pop up!)

The other marking that was used on the barrel was the capitol letter "F" which identified the chamber measurements of the "F" designated cartridge. This cartridge used a shallower neck incline as found on early Finnish 7.62x53R ammunition. The final marking of "D" is as outlined above. The final letter code of "D" indicated an alteration of the chamber diameter and shape to accept the Finnish D-166 cartridge that differed very slightly from the "F" chamber. So in review the barrel markings of "A", "F" and "D" were marked on the barrel of the m/27 just above the date and between the serial number to indicate the barrels chamber characteristic and what type of ammunition was capable of being fired through the weapon.

Last edited by Geodetic; 03-09-2011 at 4:33 PM..
Old 03-09-2011, 4:31 PM

And also from http://mosinnagant.net/finland/finni..._nagantm39.asp:

BARREL CHANGES

The barrel of the m/39 was modified from previous dimensions of the earlier Finnish designed Nagants, both in exterior and interior dimensions. The exterior barrel dimensions were reduced from that of the m/27 for a weight reduction and compensation of the slightly heavier stock design as well as for material conservation. The overall length of the barrel remained the same as the previous m/27 and m/28-30. The interior bore diameter was increased from .3082" of previous models to.3100" on the m/39. This change was due in part to allow the use of captured Soviet ammunition and machine gun ammunition which often times was of a slightly greater bore diameter than it’s Finnish counterparts. The rifling twist was also changed to one twist in 10" rather than one twist in 9.5" on the m/28-30 (5).
Old 03-09-2011, 8:36 PM
Calguns Addict

You should be fine shooting any 7.62x54r out of an m39. The D166 loading was the standard by the time m39's entered production, and the m39's chamber is larger to accomodate that. It's bore is also slightly larger than other finnish mosins, that way the m39's never needed to be "D" stamed, it was the standard when they were built.

I have never seen a SAKO or Tikka m39 that was "D" stamped, and for whatever reason only some of the VKT's were.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosinnagantm9130 View Post
I have never seen a SAKO or Tikka m39 that was "D" stamped, and for whatever reason only some of the VKT's were.

Don't see too many SAKO M39s with the D mark, but they do exist:

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodetic View Post
I'm a bit confused. From what I've been reading a lot of Finnish M39's are chambered in 7.62x53R, but the 7.62x54R is interchangeable? Can someone with an M39 straighten me out... thanks.
Correct me if I am wrong. I remember the Finns measure the chamber length instead of the cartridge length. Same caliber, no difference.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Born and raised in California, but living in a slightly more free state now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseless View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. I remember the Finns measure the chamber length instead of the cartridge length. Same caliber, no difference.
See http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...2&postcount=14
Old 03-11-2011, 2:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
Don't see too many SAKO M39s with the D mark, but they do exist:

I guess I learn something new every day

Those are some nice M39's!

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:11 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

As someone already said, run a slug down your bore. My M39 (from the Burns collection) does fine shooting Polish or Russian surplus ammo, or even more recent ammo (I have some soft points I bought for hunting purposes). Shot all of it through it, no problem. My bore is closer to .310, as is common with many M39s.