Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-08-2011, 7:25 AM

Default why is .308 Win so accurate?

i've tried out .30-06 and 7.62x39, but it seems that .308 Win beats them all when it comes to accuracy and consistency. this is especially more true when you use a bolt action rifle with handloaded ammunition.

is it because of the case size and shape?

does the .308 Win burn powder more effeciantly than other .30 cal cartridges?

is it the bullet weights (i like to use 175 grain)?

but yeah, i know it's just my opinion, but .308 Win has been the most accurate .30 cal i have experience with.

"sir...does this mean ann margaret's not coming?"
Old 03-08-2011, 7:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet_RN View Post
is it because of the case size and shape?
I've read a couple of articles online that say .308 is inherently more accurate than .30-06 because the case is shorter, which promotes more even burning, or something like that.

Here's the links:

http://yarchive.net/gun/rifle/30-06_vs_308.html

http://snipercountry.com/Articles/AccuracyFacts.asp

Regarding .308 vs. 7.62x39, that I don't know, but most x39 is cheapo steel-cased ammo, so comparing it to commercial, brass-cased Winchester .308 is probably not fair.
Old 03-08-2011, 8:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Its tough to explain. You wouldnt think something that has the trajectory of a softball would be "accurate", but it is. Their are "better" cartidges out there though, ie 260remington, 300laupua, 7mmwsm.
Old 03-08-2011, 8:37 AM
Dork
CGN Contributor

Some cartridges get reputations for accuracy/inaccuracy from the types of firearms in which they are typically chambered.

We usually see 7.62x39 in surplus SKS and AK pattern rifles. The inaccuracy we associate with the cartridge has more to do with the worn-out barrel and generously cut chamber of these rifles than with the design of the cartridge.

We usually see 30-06 Springfield in American surplus rifles, like 1903/03A3s and Garands, or hunting rifles with lightweight contour barrels. The surplus rifles usually have throat and muzzle wear, and the hunting rifle barrels tend to change POI as the barrel heats up (Not good for shooting groups, but acceptable for hunting since hunters must make their first shot count, ideally).

Now take the very accurate bolt action rifle, with target stock, target trigger, blueprinted glass-bedded action, military grade optics platform, and match quality barrel chambered in 308 Winchester...

Unscrew the barrel, and install another barrel of the same quality, but chambered in 7.62x39 or 30-06 Springfield, and develop some handloads with match quality components.

You may still find that the rifle shoots slightly smaller groups as a 308 Winchester, but the other two cartridges would not be far behind.
Old 03-08-2011, 9:24 AM
Calguns Addict

It's called voodoo. Why is one load more accurate than another? Same reason. Why do some rounds using the same load group closer together? Same reason. Firearms and ammunition are a product of both art and science. There is a little bit of both in the 308.
Old 03-08-2011, 9:39 AM

308 has had extensive development due to the number of commercial, LE and military arms in that caliber.

A bullets accuracy is a combination of bullet weight, speed, stability, propellent burn rate, and aerodynamics. Given the time and tools most calibers can be as accurate or more so it you're willing to expreiment with differnet bullet profiles, bullet weights, barrel lengths, twist rates, propellents, etc.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:36 AM

I think the popularity of .308 win. in "sniper" and military circles have created a myth that it is more accurate than other rounds in .30 caliber. Also, take note that the military's requirement for rifle accuracy is not THAT impressive compared to what civilian custom rifles can do. Don't get me wrong, my main long range rifle at this time is a .308 win.

Here is an interesting discussion on AccurateShooter.com:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/forum...3738176.0.html

Also read German Salazar's article on the 30-06:

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...cal-30-06.html

For the Learned Rifleman

Last edited by RugerNo1; 03-08-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Old 03-08-2011, 3:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you look at the cartridges that have outstanding reputations for accuracy, 22 PPC 6mm PPC, 6mm BR, 30 BR, etc. one thing that you will notice is that they are all short sharp shouldered cases. Coincidence?

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 03-08-2011, 4:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykan View Post
Some cartridges get reputations for accuracy/inaccuracy from the types of firearms in which they are typically chambered.

We usually see 7.62x39 in surplus SKS and AK pattern rifles. The inaccuracy we associate with the cartridge has more to do with the worn-out barrel and generously cut chamber of these rifles than with the design of the cartridge.

We usually see 30-06 Springfield in American surplus rifles, like 1903/03A3s and Garands, or hunting rifles with lightweight contour barrels. The surplus rifles usually have throat and muzzle wear, and the hunting rifle barrels tend to change POI as the barrel heats up (Not good for shooting groups, but acceptable for hunting since hunters must make their first shot count, ideally).

Now take the very accurate bolt action rifle, with target stock, target trigger, blueprinted glass-bedded action, military grade optics platform, and match quality barrel chambered in 308 Winchester...

Unscrew the barrel, and install another barrel of the same quality, but chambered in 7.62x39 or 30-06 Springfield, and develop some handloads with match quality components.

You may still find that the rifle shoots slightly smaller groups as a 308 Winchester, but the other two cartridges would not be far behind.
That's true. I've also heard talk about how 7.62x54R isn't as accurate as .308 Winchester. Some very fine Finnish Mosin-Nagants have put that myth to rest. I know of at least one scoped, bedded Russian Mosin that can do just about as well (Ivan at the refinishing arsenal apparently did a really good job on this one).
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 03-08-2011, 6:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I think mostly because the 30-06 and other gun you shot wasn't built as properly as the 308.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Guess you haven't shot 7mm yet.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --- Benjamin Franklin
Freedom isn't free. Read the Declaration of Independence everyday - it'll keep the New World Order away.
Quote: Army: "Your ignorant liberal puke rhetoric is tiresome."
We live in a society of extreme behavior with no electronic self control.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:52 PM

accuracy = cartridge doesn't make sense to me. the "facts" are that they have similar ballistic reports but the .308 is cheaper to reload. gunpowder that is common in .308 loads are also common in .223; whereas, with the 30-60, it is recommended that one uses a powder that has a slower burn-rate.
Old 03-09-2011, 8:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguyen84 View Post
accuracy = cartridge doesn't make sense to me.
How about cartrige within a given platform?

For example, a 45 ACP revolver will never reach the same accuracy in a revolver as the .38 Special with most loads.

A 308 in a rifle will always be more accurate than 260 Remington with most loads. Yeah, you may come across a load that is more accurate in a 260, but with most loads and under various environmental conditions the 308 has the edge.

People have been messing with these cartriges and the corresponding wildcats for decades. This is how their reputation for accuracy was established.
Old 03-09-2011, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-cat View Post
For example, a 45 ACP revolver will never reach the same accuracy in a revolver as the .38 Special with most loads.
in comparing the relationship between a 45 and 38 spl to a 308 vs 30-06, i see your point.....but differences are too contrasting in regards to ballistics and application.... ummm maybe it's more like a 338 RUM vs. 338 LUPA.

Basically, what i was getting at is all these discussions about the "facts" are based on anecdotal stories about trends and peoples' preferences. and usually the narratives are biased towards 308. i'm not trying to discredit people's experiences or the effectiveness and versatility of the 308; but we need to be aware of where these "facts" come from and reserve doubt... if anything, just to have a critical perspective. i just feel that 308 is hyped up so much that everything in its class seems out-of-date and obsolete.

Last edited by mnguyen84; 03-09-2011 at 3:55 PM..
Old 03-09-2011, 2:09 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

We stole it from it the Sweedes...7.5mm
Old 03-09-2011, 2:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
i just feel that 308 is hyped up so much that everything in its class seems out-of-date and obsolete.
Im with you brotha. Like someone stated before, because the millitary uses it and because its chambered in nato it just gotta mean its the best!
Old 03-09-2011, 7:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
in comparing the relationship between a 45 and 38 spl to a 308 vs 30-06, i see your point.....but differences are too contrasting in regards to ballistics and application.... ummm maybe it's more like a 338 RUM vs. 338 LUPA.

Basically, what i was getting at is all these discussions about the "facts" are based on anecdotal stories about trends and peoples' preferences. and usually the narratives are biased towards 308. i'm not trying to discredit people's experiences or the effectiveness and versatility of the 308; but we need to be aware of where these "facts" come from and reserve doubt... if anything, just to have a critical perspective. i just feel that 308 is hyped up so much that everything in its class seems out-of-date and obsolete.
It is hyped up. I think the 260 is a better round. But I betcha I can take any factory heavy barreled 308 and get it to outshoot any benchrest 260 within 10 minutes of the start of load development.