Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-08-2011, 7:16 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Brilliant idea for providing different customer service at a gun shop. Need input!

This thread got me to thinking. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=405250

I just had an idea. I need to make a ticket system. Have like three or more ticket counters you can pull a ticket from. Have them be different colors and hold your ticket out for everyone to see when you come in. Or maybe a badge holder in the color your choose. Something very visible.

"Red: You want to be treated like an inferior who doesn't feel worthy to be in my shop buying my goods"

"Orange: I am going to ignore you until I am done playing on the Internet or talking to one of my employees."

"Yellow: I am going to insult all of your requests for a firearm and recommend my favorite mall ninja ideas that have nothing to do with what you really want in a firearm."

"Blue: This will be the best gun buying experience of your life. Greeted after you get your ticket and made to feel like I want your business."

That way I could take care of everyone's different tastes and needs in a gun shop.

What other colors tickets and personalities should I cater to? I mean we hear all of these gun story gun shops and those gun shops continue to exist. Clearly there is a market for horrible customer service or these places would go out of business.

I am going to be the first gun shop to cater to everyone!

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 03-08-2011, 7:17 AM
Vendor/Retailer

What color for "I want to be charged $75 for a PPT."?

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 03-08-2011, 7:20 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Baby Blue: "Our 18 year old employee that learned all of their gun knowledge from Call of Duty will wait on you. Expect to hear a lot of talk about D Eagles, clips, and SPAS 12."

Hot Pink: "Our female 18 year old employee in a busty outfit that shoots 3 gun, IDPA, Sporting Clays, National Match Highpower, hunts elk, and was 2nd runner up for Miss California is going to wait on you."

Old 03-08-2011, 7:26 AM
Veteran Member

PINK!
I want Hot Pink!

Old 03-08-2011, 7:35 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Also, go with a spending tier to go with the experience. 1-10.00 spent, you take a red ticket.

500.00 or more? you get a blue ticket, and a complimentary happy ending and massage, at the parlor down the road.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 03-08-2011, 7:54 AM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

What color for "I'm going to make up some facts and act like they are laws?"
Old 03-08-2011, 8:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Hey, this thread reminds me of a gun store in a city that rhymes with... West.... Hmm... Well, it reminds me of that town in England called Westminster.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 03-08-2011, 8:09 AM

I would drive down to your store for just the pink ticket.
Old 03-08-2011, 8:16 AM

You forgot green...I'm only here for a PPT and I will be ignored until every other 'real' customer is satisfied and all calls have been answered before I acknowledge you. Also, do not attempt a PPT within the last business hour.
Old 03-08-2011, 8:16 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotnMore View Post
Also, go with a spending tier to go with the experience. 1-10.00 spent, you take a red ticket.

500.00 or more? you get a blue ticket, and a complimentary happy ending and massage, at the parlor down the road.
No spending amounts. This is about how you want to be treated, not how we are going to treat you depending on how much you spend.

Also, did you know Taft just got an oriental foot massage place and supposedly there are happy endings? I will see about offering free massages couplons for their place complimentary with a firearms purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoolpe View Post
You forgot green...I'm only here for a PPT and I will be ignored until every other 'real' customer is satisfied and all calls have been answered before I acknowledge you. Also, do not attempt a PPT within the last business hour.
That is why I have this thread. You guys are going to help me fully develop this thing. Thanks for helping me out!

Old 03-08-2011, 8:20 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
No spending amounts. This is about how you want to be treated, not how we are going to treat you depending on how much you spend.

Also, did you know Taft just got an oriental foot massage place and supposedly there are happy endings? I will see about offering free massages couplons for their place complimentary with a firearms purchase.

That is why I have this thread. You guys are going to help me fully develop this thing. Thanks for helping me out!
OK, but I see everyone grabbing blue, if it's up to them, and no qualifier.

Also, how about a color for I have no idea what I want, need, or if my wife will give me permission?
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 03-08-2011, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

You should have the customers take a ticket as well, such as going to waste everyone's time asking questions for hours on end and does not have any money to buy anything anyhow :-).

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-08-2011, 11:06 AM

What color for "everything you ask about is illegal, and you can only legally buy what I have in stock"?

I would like to say something profound here...
Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotnMore View Post
OK, but I see everyone grabbing blue, if it's up to them, and no qualifier.

Also, how about a color for I have no idea what I want, need, or if my wife will give me permission?
No it is not true they will all grab blue. Check on the the link at the top of the thread that started this. Some guys like crotchity old men that are rude them them.

You can select any of the colors if you don't know what you want. You select colors based on how you want to be treated, not what you know or don't know. So select blue or pink and they will take care of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
What color for "everything you ask about is illegal, and you can only legally buy what I have in stock"?
Excellent. Purple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
You should have the customers take a ticket as well, such as going to waste everyone's time asking questions for hours on end and does not have any money to buy anything anyhow :-).
Nope. That is just part of being in retail. We have to figure out a way to spot these customers and excuse yourself to help real paying customers. That is part of the challenge.

Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 03-08-2011 at 11:38 AM..
Old 03-08-2011, 1:09 PM

Sounds like the DMV.

Last time I was in there, I was C36 and got all excited when they called C35. "I'm next" kept going through my mind. Boy was I wrong. 30 minutes and 25 other alpha prefixes later, it was finally my turn.

If you could implement a system like this, I would gladly drive the 5 hours to your store, to be treated this way.
Old 03-08-2011, 2:20 PM
Calguns Addict

What about the clerks/owner wearing one that means.
"I will sell you lots of guns and treat you well UNTIL you start a divorce for a cheating wife . Then I will be on the wifes side with highly inflated prices over retail/MSRP and even show up in court to try and screw you over. As well as talk crap to your friends you brought into the store to be customers"

Or "If you are just looking at this time I do not have time for you even if you are the only customer in the store"

Or "I will answer all your questions and when you purchase a firearm and extras I will toss in some (cheap) ammo" I remember a very good shop who use to do so. They retired or they would still be doing well.

Or " I will not try to sell you too much(power/tube size/lens size etc) scope after finding out the purpose of the firearm. Most people will be better served with a K.I.S.S. type scope not requiring 17 adjustments before they can take the shot. I will not push every add on do-dad either."

Or "I will suggest a quality recoil pad for rifles which do not come from the factory and have a reasonably to extreme amount of recoil"

Or "Hi I am just killing time and do not plan on helping anyone now."
Old 03-08-2011, 2:46 PM

Black: I am going to roll my eyes walk away from you without a word because I don't sell or care for what you would like to buy then ignore you until you leave my store.

Quote:
"Justice Sotomayor, states may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional."
- Gura
Old 03-08-2011, 3:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can there be a dunce hat instead of a ticket for the "I cant afford to buy anything / my wife owns my wallet so I want to touch every single thing you have on display as the line stacks up behind me" - think bass pro gun counter on a sat afternoon.

And I will make the drive for the pink ticket every time
Old 03-08-2011, 3:16 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

But what color is for: "I want to be told made up BS about how OLL's are all illegal, and anyone who has one is a felon"

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
But what color is for: "I want to be told made up BS about how OLL's are all illegal, and anyone who has one is a felon"
That's a brown ticket
Old 03-08-2011, 10:30 PM

How about a ticket for "I just want to sit there and impress you with all I know about guns for an hour, speaking loudly enough for everyone in the store to hear me so they're all impressed with how much I know about guns too"
Pretty much everybody at my local ffl would take that ticket. Let's make the color S brown.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Calguns Addict

You guys won't like this one, but being a small business owner in the past what color for the customer who says: " I don't want you to make a dime off me, and I expect premium service while I treat you like crap. I hope you go broke now stop making me wait."
Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Calguns Addict

i'm only grabbing hot pink..... that will probably have to be refilled very day.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want no matter the topic at hand!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 PM
CGSSA Associate

+1 on the black
for the employee at so cal gun that tries to convince you a Springfield 1911 is NM fitted when it is not
for the employee at Turner's KM that tries to convince you the Glock 35 comes with multiple sights
Old 03-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stix213 View Post
That is a good one. When they ask me what about the exotic firearms on the back wall, "Those are LEO only. There is no one else in this room professional enough that I know of to handle those guns except law enforcement."

Old 03-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Calguns Addict

LOL funny thread, but almost not so far fetched with some.
Maybe that ticket for the FUD line should be two tone, one side red (or S brown like mentioned) and one side black.. Once you spread the FUD, one side for your face color when you're put in your place and then the other side for when you're black listed from the shop.

Gun-Control: "A theory like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Last edited by GOEX FFF; 03-09-2011 at 12:48 AM..
Old 03-09-2011, 9:07 AM
Vendor/Retailer

This is one of the best threads I have seen in a LONG time -- keep it up guys

Now that some of my guys have seen it they wandered in asking what color codes can we implement here -- they have a bunch of ideas about purple with stripes, polka dots(yellow and black). Really should not have gotten them started

GREAT POST 10% !!!!!!!

Gregg

NRA Supporter & Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 03-09-2011, 9:29 AM

Im really liking the Pink ticket, although an Orange one just seems so tempting too .. lol.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappabacon View Post
What color for "I'm going to make up some facts and act like they are laws?"
I'm pretty sure that's standard with all of the tickets.
"[T]he liberties of the American people [are] dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box . . without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country." -- Frederick Douglass (1892)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:35 PM

How about a 'mood' ticket'.

You pick up the blue ticket hoping for a relatively favorable retail experience, and as you hold the ticket it slowly changes color while you're waiting. When you're ticket number comes up next it's magically morphed itself into the s--- brown ticket (also known as the FUD ticket) and ultimately BLACK.

Or

CMP system ticket - luck of the draw. Unfortunately they're all brown or black.
Old 03-09-2011, 8:27 PM

I want to be an employee at a shop. The only service i know how to provide is the "blue ticket" type. The last six years i've been working in the hotel industry and excellent service is all i know. The hotel brand i work for(shares it's name with a buttery round cracker) ingrains service into you to the point where it is second nature. Maybe it's becuase of this that i notice the total lack of service when i have gone to gun shops in the past. I have recently come into the world of firearms but i feel strongly that i want to spend a lifetime working with them. I thought working the counter at a local FFL would be a good start; but so far i've had no luck. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Oh and the Red & Orange type places are everywhere but if you could provide blue ticket service you would have something that really set you apart in your industry!
Old 03-09-2011, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Yep

So long as someone is handling the pink tickets I'd be glad to handle the rest....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBshooter View Post
I want to be an employee at a shop. The only service i know how to provide is the "blue ticket" type. The last six years i've been working in the hotel industry and excellent service is all i know. The hotel brand i work for(shares it's name with a buttery round cracker) ingrains service into you to the point where it is second nature. Maybe it's becuase of this that i notice the total lack of service when i have gone to gun shops in the past. I have recently come into the world of firearms but i feel strongly that i want to spend a lifetime working with them. I thought working the counter at a local FFL would be a good start; but so far i've had no luck. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Oh and the Red & Orange type places are everywhere but if you could provide blue ticket service you would have something that really set you apart in your industry!
Old 03-09-2011, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

How about I understand you just bought a $1500 gun and am coming to pick it up, but you look young so I'm not going to give you the time of day.

turners *cough*

bastards at Reseda.
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 – 1873)
Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Calguns Addict

How about
" Oh it is a (cute young) girl so I will help you but treat you as if you do not know one end of the gun from another and no safety rules. Plus I will try to impress you with my knowledge(and BS)"
Even though the girl has better safety knowledge and use than 90%+ of the people in the store/range. She probably has shot a greater number of different firearms and even larger caliber than the person "helping" her.......She has been shooting since she was 4.5 years old and got her hunters safety cert when she was 9 years old. This has always been fun to watch them make fools of themselves.