Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-23-2016, 2:37 PM

Default Talk me out of a Big 5 590 Persuader

http://m.big5sportinggoods.com/mobil...un/_/A-2124766

I have a 930 SPX and a Remington 870 Express Magnum but I think I need one of these. Anyone can post their pros, cons and experiences, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-23-2016, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralston View Post

I have a 930 SPX and a Remington 870 Express Magnum but I think I need one of these. Anyone can post their pros, cons and experiences, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance
I don't have the persuader, but I do have the 590 special purpose. Runs like a champ and I've never had an issue with it. That being said i like my 870 better. Just feels better.
Old 07-23-2016, 3:01 PM
Veteran Member

I had one. Sold it and regret it right after. Typical good moss berg quality, went bang everytime, no feeding, extracting issues, never lubed or cleaned it lol. The only thing I didn't care for was the cheesy barrel shroud (the thing that goes up) but thats just personal preference. The magazine spring was real crappy and bound up upon the first load up, but easily replaced with a wolff extra power spring (probably have fixed it by now since this was literally years ago)

I have a 590A1 US service model now which is pretty heavy but built like a tank.

I wouldn't mind an 870 tactical because of it being light weight, and my friends felt super good in my hands. But it had the typical feeding/extracting issues that a lot of 870s have. I think there were burrs in the chamber, and it needs a good polishing.

"I work, therefore I am."

Last edited by xxINKxx; 07-23-2016 at 3:06 PM..
Old 07-23-2016, 3:12 PM
#1 Bull Goose Loony
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralston View Post

Thanks in advance

It's got a bayonet lug that fits AR15 Bayonets.
CA Legislature Bill Search - http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...chClient.xhtml
C D Michel, lots of reporting on current CA Legislation - http://www.calgunlaws.com
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Old 07-23-2016, 3:17 PM

I've been wanting to get that exact same 590 for a while. During the 4th of July, it was about 10% off. There was also a coupon for an additional 5% off sale items. Out the door, it would have been about $450 (9% tax plus $25 DROS). It was the best price I had seen in a while. Took the family to San Diego for the weekend and didn't get the chance to buy it.

No experience with the 590, but plenty of experience with the 500. They are reliable, cheap, reliable... No malfunctions with any shells I've put through them.
Old 07-23-2016, 3:45 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Mossberg 500 Tactical by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
Like mine
says get off my lawn really nicely
http://www.oniva.com/upload/204/Signature_copy_small.jpg
In memory of my friend Officer Ryan Bonaminio Riverside PD. Gone but not forgotten.
Old 07-23-2016, 3:56 PM
Veteran Member

Why would you want us to talk you out of it?

Do you not want it?

If you want it, go buy it. It's a fine shotgun.

If you don't, then don't.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-23-2016, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
Why would you want us to talk you out of it?

Do you not want it?

If you want it, go buy it. It's a fine shotgun.

If you don't, then don't.

Well you'll all be happy to know that my local Big 5 has one that may be going on sale soon. I wanted it but was basically trying to find the guy here who was going to slam the shotgun and say it's worthless trash. So far that hasn't happened. Looks like more OT for me and a new toy.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-23-2016, 4:14 PM

here let me talk you out of it:

http://m.big5sportinggoods.com/mobil...55/_/A-4502647
Old 07-23-2016, 4:15 PM

I don't know man. I just was in the same boat. Ended up going with the 590A1 with XS ghost sights. Just did the paperwork yesterday so I'll get it in 10 days. I don't care for the elevator on the 870. As this will me my primary HD weapon I figured not to be cheap. I could've got a 500 for half the price but this one has the metal safety, metal trigger guard, thinker barrel walls. Also hold 9 rounds. The foregrip has built in picatinny rails. Also has a rail on top to mount a red dot or other optic.
https://www.ammobros.com/product_inf...ducts_id=97785
I plan to remove the front rifle sight and put a night sight. I'm going to mount a light to the foregrip and install a Blackhawk specops gen II adjustable stock and I think it should be a pretty mean HD weapon.

Last edited by sixspdrt; 07-23-2016 at 4:26 PM..
Old 07-23-2016, 4:26 PM

I've got one in pieces somewhere in one of the safes. I bought it ,cleaned it and lubed it up before a day at the range. After about 80shells the entire action locked up, causing me to have to slam the butt stock on the ground to free things up. This happens 3 more times before I could not free up the action. I brought it home and disassembled it partially,noticing the carrier was incredibly stuck. It took a small sledge and a punch to finally free things up. After that I put all the pieces in a bag and tossed them in the safe, thinking about it now I should probably send it back to mossberg as I have heard they have a great warranty. Maybe I'll go dig it out and give it a second look later today. I just remember how pissed off it made me that day lol,that was probably over 2 years ago too. I have multiple friends that had the same model at the time and there were differences in my big 5 version when compared to theirs,however like I said this was a few years ago.
Old 07-23-2016, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverPouring3WM View Post
I have multiple friends that had the same model at the time and there were differences in my big 5 version when compared to theirs,however like I said this was a few years ago.

Big 5 description says-

"In their commercial form, the Persuaders are virtual duplicates of the proven Mossberg military 590 models, the only pump-action shotguns ever to pass all stringent U.S. Military Mil-Spec 3443 standards."

I wonder if it changed to this above with the current models.

Thanks for the follow up. I think I'm gonna grab one of these. I think I can fit another one in the safe if I collapse a couple stocks on some other other long guns in there.
Old 07-23-2016, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

The only reason I wouldn't buy it is because you can get a 20" 500 8 shot from big5 for 199.00 on sale.
Old 07-23-2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munny$hot View Post
The only reason I wouldn't buy it is because you can get a 20" 500 8 shot from big5 for 199.00 on sale.
I haven't seen the 8 shot 500 for that price. Maybe that's the Maverick?
Old 07-23-2016, 8:50 PM

It's not the same as the 590A1!

For what they're selling it for I'm sure you could find the real deal somewhere else.
Old 07-23-2016, 8:52 PM
Calguns Addict

They work very well...

Given the crap attitude in CA, I like the hunting look of the camo combo

http://m.big5sportinggoods.com/mobil...ncharset=UTF-8
Old 07-23-2016, 8:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Old 07-23-2016, 9:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP101 View Post
I haven't seen the 8 shot 500 for that price. Maybe that's the Maverick?
It was a 500 not a Maverick. The sale was on Father's day.

There are a few differance from the 500 compared to the standard 590. The 590 A1 on the other hand has the biggest differance vs the 500

Last edited by Munny$hot; 07-23-2016 at 9:52 PM..
Old 07-24-2016, 6:28 AM

One of the pros of the 500 (over the 590) aside from price is that you can easily convert it to bullpup configuration when you want:

And back again. Can't do that with the 590.
Old 07-24-2016, 7:36 AM

I will give you some cons.

Heavy, balance is off due to extra weight out front. The Big 5 version is blued not parkarized. My personal preference in shotguns is a shorter barrel and Mag tube.

But I am not posting to talk you out of it. It has a cool factor with the heatshield and photo op bayonet lug. More than likely it will run good. Doesn't have a shell elevator in the way when loading. If you get it on sale with an additional coupon, it's worth it.
Old 07-24-2016, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

The name in Big 5's ad is a little screwy but the 50645 is Mosberg's '590 9-Shot Heat-Shield'. http://www.mossberg.com/product/590-...-shield-50645/

I got mine from Big 5 3-4 years ago. I like it. Really like the 9 rnd capacity. As someone said it's a little heavy out front but it's not a hunting or sporting gun you'll be carrying or shooting all day so that's not a concern for me.

Can't go wrong with adding it to your collection.

Does anyone make a flashlight that snaps into the bayonet lug?
Old 07-24-2016, 9:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchet9296 View Post
Similar to how I have my Mossberg setup...minus the heat shield and strap on the forend.

AR's gone through it's final evolution...for now: Precision rig & close encounters
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=460

shuttlecock
Old 07-24-2016, 9:29 AM

I like the 590. I have an A1 so I can't speak to that particular model. If you have the cash to spare go for it just to try it and compare it to the 870. I think playing around with shotguns to see which manual of arms you prefer is really important, much more so than with other platforms. That's even more true if you plan on running and gunning with them. The 870 is fine, but I shoot left so the tang safety and rear slide release on the 590 is FARRRR preferable to the 870 controls. Mine has bead sights. If I was to do it again, I'd probably get ghost ring sights (probably because I'm more used to them?) because I feel like it's easier to shoot slugs accurately with them. The again, and not that it should really matter, but I don't like how the ghost ring sights look on the 590.

The shotgun is weird weapon to run. Play around and see what works best for you- or just shoot a Super 90 left handed and enjoy the best operation of all
Old 07-24-2016, 9:52 AM

Default Talk me out of a Big 5 590 Persuader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk556 View Post
I like the 590. I have an A1 so I can't speak to that particular model. If you have the cash to spare go for it just to try it and compare it to the 870. I think playing around with shotguns to see which manual of arms you prefer is really important, much more so than with other platforms. That's even more true if you plan on running and gunning with them. The 870 is fine, but I shoot left so the tang safety and rear slide release on the 590 is FARRRR preferable to the 870 controls. Mine has bead sights. If I was to do it again, I'd probably get ghost ring sights (probably because I'm more used to them?) because I feel like it's easier to shoot slugs accurately with them. The again, and not that it should really matter, but I don't like how the ghost ring sights look on the 590.

The shotgun is weird weapon to run. Play around and see what works best for you- or just shoot a Super 90 left handed and enjoy the best operation of all

I also should long guns lefty. I'm a mess. Right handed handgun shooter but eyes work better shooting long guns lefty. Thanks for the input everybody.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:11 AM

I won't talk you out of the shotgun but I will try to talk you out of buying it from Big 5, the short bus of gun stores.
Old 07-24-2016, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquand View Post
I won't talk you out of the shotgun but I will try to talk you out of buying it from Big 5, the short bus of gun stores.

I've bought a Mosin 91/30 from them and 2 10/22's. Been having a blast with those for years. They sell Mini-14's and Gunsite Scouts there also. I've never had an issue with any rifles I've bought from them. Yeah the store lacks the "cool guy local gun store factor" but who needs that all the time anyway? Deals are deals. They have deals.