Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-13-2017, 8:48 AM

Default Mossberg 930 JM Pro Experience/Feedback

Greetings gang,

Kindly, give me some feedback regarding YOUR experience with this model. I just bought a Remington 870 Express, now I am getting interested in this semi-auto.

I don't hunt, and just in case, this will be used mostly for HD and range shooting. I know that Mossberg has the 930 SPX cut out for tactical role, but I am not interested in that, its waaaay too ugly for my liking, the 930 JM Pro is what I am interested in. Its more streamlined and attractive....an important factor for me.

When I watched some you tube, particularly those of Jerry Miculek, he has nothing but positive to say about this model. Though there is not reason for the man to lie in public, there is the factor that he works for Mossberg and therefore would be inclined to embellish his praise of the shotgun.

To those that own one: How reliable/unreliable is the piece? Can it take continuous beating with slugs and 00 buck shots? How often do you clean the piston and rings for the utmost in reliability? Would you keep the piece and pass it on to posterity, so to speak?

Thanks for any feed back.

Last edited by DArBad; 06-13-2017 at 8:52 AM..
Old 06-13-2017, 9:02 AM

I have a 22" JM Pro and it is my house shotgun. It had a little problem with the magazine follower at first but after they put a new follower in it it has worked flawlessly. I been able to shoot bird, buck, and slug with it with no reliability issues.

I also took a 4 day shotgun class at Front Sight and the only "issue" I had that was the gun was I had to use Kentucky windage to hit the steel at 75 yards with a slug. I did have to adjust my handling of some of the drills since my gloved hand was pushing on the bolt release and releasing a cartridge and tying up the action.
Old 06-13-2017, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DArBad View Post
When I watched some you tube, particularly those of Jerry Miculek, he has nothing but positive to say about this model. Though there is not reason for the man to lie in public, there is the factor that he works for Mossberg and therefore would be inclined to embellish his praise of the shotgun.
I don't think Jerry would lie. But I'm also pretty sure Mossberg just didn't grab one off the shelf and send it to him. Pretty sure they asked one of their master smiths to a) go pick out a good one...FOR JERRY! and b) go through it completely, BEFORE SENDING IT TO JERRY!

With that said, the 930 seems to be a little hit and miss. Lots of people report loving them and no problems but there also seems to be a fair number of people reporting problems. This is just anecdotal from reading forums. Mossberg, however, does seem to have a decent reputation for service so if you have bad luck and get a bad one, they'll probably take care of you.

Alternatively you could save your pennies a bit longer for a SLP, M2, M4 or Versamax. Better reputations but obviously more expensive.

Fighter Pilot
Old 06-13-2017, 6:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Love mine

I did post a thread that it dumped the extractor on the first range trip.

Definitely want lead removal wipes to make cleaning the gas holes& tube.

The main drawback is the long length of pull.

I have long arms for my height and the shotgun is big

Based upon your arms, you might love the gun or find it impossible to work with.

Lots come up for sale..... shotguns look cool... many don't like the recoil (get training if this is you)
Old 06-13-2017, 6:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'm in LA

If you are around, you are welcome to shoot mine
Old 06-13-2017, 6:55 PM

I like mine.

For birshot, use 1200 fps or faster. 1oz or heavier. 3 dram or more. You wont have an issue.

The finish on the receiver scratches easy. I use it to compete, so It doesnt matter to me.

I also am off on on slugs. My rifle shoots left. 2-3 inches at 25. Havent tried further. Everything else shoots straight, buck and bird shot.

Cleaning is easy enough with the right tools and process. I soak the bore in Marvel Mystery oil and clean it the next day. Mush easier than rushing it with a bore brush. This is only necessary on some ammo like Rio buckshot. Most birdshot dont produce much grime.

A brass brush makes easy work of the gas tube. Lead wipes for the piston and the gas chamber (?).

If you dont like to clean, get a Franchi Affinity.
Old 06-13-2017, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

You have to disassemble and thoroughly clean the gas piston every 500 rounds or so or the incidence of malfunctions will increase.

I have a friend with one that he uses in competition and he inexplicably has malfunctions on occasion for no apparent reason. He's probably going to replace it with a Beretta 1301.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 06-13-2017, 9:17 PM

I have nothing but good things to say about it as long as you keep lube away from the gas system and reassemble the gun correctly after cleaning. It eats any kind of ammo, its quick to point in and unload on your target(s). Its a little too heavy to be an ideal hunting shotgun but its perfect for home defense, 3 gun or a front sight class. Its actually perfect for front sight, there's no shell trip to bugger around with so you get a slight advantage.
Old 06-14-2017, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
I'm in LA

If you are around, you are welcome to shoot mine
Thanks for the offer, but I live far north in the Bay Area.
Old 06-14-2017, 8:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 06-19-2017, 2:55 PM

If you're like me and like the JM Pro because:
  • you just love guns in general
  • it's a semi-auto Shotgun & you've never had one
  • it's reasonably affordable
  • it's a Mossberg, it's also JM's gun
  • it holds a lot of rounds
  • you might find it handy for HD
  • you take it to the range with you sometimes to give each other exercise

and:
  • maybe *someday* you will hunt
  • maybe *someday* you will compete
  • its a handsome shotgun for its price point
  • it's just generally cool.

You will love the JM Pro.

Pic of my 22" JM Pro (it was originally 24" but I swapped it out for a 22" with another Calgunner who wanted the opposite). I preferred the 22" simply because it (1) Fits in my Safe easier and (2) it's better for HD purposes:

I put a Red Dot on it (a spare from my AR Adventures). It's cool to have a Red Dot on a semi-auto shotgun, and it's pretty dead-on at 25yds.

Between the Gun which I purchased from a Calgunner and all the other chi-chis I put on it, I spent less than $800. Part of why I like this firearm is because I did not spend a lot for it, and I feel I get a lot of gun for what I spent.

The previous owner, a reputable Calgunner claims he shot less than 300rds of bird shot on it without issue.

I have put about 50rds of slugs (or so) through it (the only thing allowed at a local indoor range) without issue.

I keep it in my safe with some 00Buck in the carrier. I have not tested it with the 00BUCK, just hope it works if ever I need it, lol....

I am very happy with my JM Pro.

Last edited by caliberetta; 06-19-2017 at 3:02 PM..
Old 06-19-2017, 5:55 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

Ive had mine for almost 4 years. The only issues i have had are;
1the stock sight is junk, mine lasted about 500 rounds before it launched some where on west end 4
2 the plastic stock retainer is junk and breaks, and if it breaks your day is threw. It gun will soldier on but it doesnt feed right.
I replaced the retainer with the or3gun cfr and the sight with a tru glo and nomore issues.
I feed it what ever crappy shotgun shells i find and it does fine, from 20 year old federal to gun club to federal red white and blue.
It seems like you either get a shooter, or a pile of crap with no medium.
I got a shooter and highly recommend it. But it is not perfect out of the box if you are going to run it hard and run it long there are replacements you need.
It aint a benelli but you can buy 2-3 jmpros for one benelli.
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 06-19-2017, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post

and:

Pic of my 22" JM Pro (it was originally 24" but I swapped it out for a 22" with another Calgunner who wanted the opposite). I preferred the 22" simply because it (1) Fits in my Safe easier and (2) it's better for HD purposes:

I put a Red Dot on it (a spare from my AR Adventures). It's cool to have a Red Dot on a semi-auto shotgun, and it's pretty dead-on at 25yds.

Between the Gun which I purchased from a Calgunner and all the other chi-chis I put on it, I spent less than $800. Part of why I like this firearm is because I did not spend a lot for it, and I feel I get a lot of gun for what I spent.

The previous owner, a reputable Calgunner claims he shot less than 300rds of bird shot on it without issue.

I have put about 50rds of slugs (or so) through it (the only thing allowed at a local indoor range) without issue.

I keep it in my safe with some 00Buck in the carrier. I have not tested it with the 00BUCK, just hope it works if ever I need it, lol....

How Many rounds can you fit in your 22"?
Old 06-20-2017, 12:07 PM

Smile

Quote:

and:

Dang man, are you a mind reader or what, you've actually said what was on my mind, regarding the JM Pro, seriously.

Few question, though: A) Is changing the barrel on the JM Pro, as easy as swapping them? B) Also read that with the factory stock on the JM pro, it is not an easy procedure to sway, say a magpul? C) the ejection port, more often than not, needs to be enlarged, D) the carrier needed to be " welded " to minimize bite-- not sure how welding the carrier will minimize bite or whatever.
Old 06-20-2017, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerAR View Post
How Many rounds can you fit in your 22"?
The 24" holds 9+1, while the 22" holds 8+1

Quote:
Dang man, are you a mind reader or what, you've actually said what was on my mind, regarding the JM Pro, seriously.

Few question, though: A) Is changing the barrel on the JM Pro, as easy as swapping them? B) Also read that with the factory stock on the JM pro, it is not an easy procedure to sway, say a magpul? C) the ejection port, more often than not, needs to be enlarged, D) the carrier needed to be " welded " to minimize bite-- not sure how welding the carrier will minimize bite or whatever.
To answer your questions:
A) Changing the barrel is relatively easy for anyone with basic/amateur mechanical skills and basic tools. I followed some YouTube vids and I was done in about 20 minutes the first time. If I did it again, maybe half that time.
B) I've never tried the Magpul, but I seem to like the JM Pro as it is. If there is anything I would want to change on it, it is perhaps a shorter stock. I have another shotgun with a shorter stock and it is more comfortable for me and easier to quickly shoulder. I am 5'9". My understanding is, how comfortable or maneuverable a rifle/shotgun is depends on the person. For me, I would like a shorter stock. Is it a deal breaker? Based on my purposes, it's just fine for me, due to many other positives.
C) No issue with Ejection Port for me at all, for the purpose which I have it. The whole thing is plug and play to me.
D) I never understood how welding the carrier will minimize bite either ... been trying to figure that out. Don't you have to shave off material?? I am clueless.

Glad to hear of like minded people. Seems like you'll like the JM Pro. If you want to save money it comes up on the marketplace sometimes. To swap the Barrel, I put an ad out on the Accessories marketplace looking to trade my 24" for a 22" --- and Calgunner responded. He came to my house and we swapped the barrels on the spot.

Hope that helps, good luck,
Old 06-20-2017, 4:38 PM

Its a welded lifter.

Here is how the stock one looks like

and this is what the welded one looks like

I didn't think it would make a difference either until I had mine out for the first time and my thumb got caught. It didn't hurt, but I definitely didn't want to experience it again.

You could change the way you load the shells, but I just ordered a welded lifter and that solved it for me.
Old 06-21-2017, 8:42 AM

^^ that's nice
Old 06-21-2017, 9:03 AM

Forgot to mention, the magpul stock wouldn't work on the 930 because of the recoil system that runs down through the stock.
Old 06-21-2017, 9:17 AM

If you're looking for a semi auto, you may want to check out the Stoeger M3K or M3000...I've been in the market for an inexpensive semi auto myself and I've been going back and forth between the Stoeger and JM Pro.
Old 06-21-2017, 9:42 AM

The Stoeger looks like a good budget-friendly option too. And if I'm not mistaken, Stoeger is somehow related to Beretta...

One of the reasons why I ended up with the JM Pro is that it already came with the Mag Extension tube for that added capacity, and also that Barrel/Mag Tube clamp made by Nordic comes as stock... I think Nordic sells that for something like $60...

Don't laugh, but it's true - that clamp on the JM Pro helped sway my decision, lol ....
Old 06-21-2017, 9:53 AM

Quote:
The Stoeger looks like a good budget-friendly option too. And if I'm not mistaken, Stoeger is somehow related to Beretta...

One of the reasons why I ended up with the JM Pro is that it already came with the Mag Extension tube for that added capacity, and also that Barrel/Mag Tube clamp made by Nordic comes as stock... I think Nordic sells that for something like $60...

Don't laugh, but it's true - that clamp on the JM Pro helped sway my decision, lol ....
Yea, I know exactly what you're talking about because I've been in the same dilemma. You can get the M3000 and pick up an extension for around $60 bucks or so...you'd probably come out cheaper than the JM Pro, but you wouldn't have the over sized charging handle and loading port like the M3k.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:18 AM

I've only found that welded lifter one place (So KY Firearms) that is sold out. Anyone know of another place? Or someone who welds them?

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2017, 1:15 PM

Subscribed to this, I recently purchased this at a sportsman warehouse for $650 + tax/dros for the 24" 9+1 version. I went to the range and besides the very first shot it ejected 2 boxes of ammo without a hiccup. I must say the recoil was very low compared to my 28" pump benelli and incredibly low compared to the 18" pump my range buddy brought.
All I did was put a little oil on the sliding parts without taking it apart at all. I know I need to tear it apart and clean it properly but it functioned great out of the box.

I did order a G&G rail to mount a TRS red dot sight (or my eotech) on and i'm considering a pistol grip stock.

I did find the stock lifter to be a thumb biter for sure, I also need to buy a welded version or get it done (any ideas in the bay area?)

TO OP: If you are north bay, you could shoot mine at Circle S on a sunday
Old 06-21-2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1911 View Post
I've only found that welded lifter one place (So KY Firearms) that is sold out. Anyone know of another place? Or someone who welds them?

Thanks.
This is the guy for lifters
http://www.c-rums.com/Carriers.html
Old 06-21-2017, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleKnight View Post
This is the guy for lifters
http://www.c-rums.com/Carriers.html
Ouch...$50 to weld my lifter and shipping both ways.
Old 06-21-2017, 3:31 PM

Elco Welding in Venice, CA will do it for you. He won't do it on the spot though. You'll have to come back for it. I think I paid 30 bucks. He will do a rough finish, you will have to polish it yourself.

This is mine. Rough.

After a polish job. Looks better in person.

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 06-21-2017 at 3:34 PM..
Old 06-21-2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1911 View Post

Thanks.
They've been out of stock and on backorder for awhile now.

I got lucky though and was able to get one, probably should have ordered 2 of them.
Old 06-21-2017, 5:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have a 930 JM Pro and I have shot 3-gun for 6 years with it. Keep the gas piston clean – like every 300 rounds – and it will not fail you.
Old 06-21-2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japsican View Post
If you're looking for a semi auto, you may want to check out the Stoeger M3K or M3000...I've been in the market for an inexpensive semi auto myself and I've been going back and forth between the Stoeger and JM Pro.
Been reading a lot about the M3K too. I like the way it looks(lean, clean, and modern), the inertia system, the enlarged and blued charging handle and lock button, the loading port that is beveled, and the cheaper price of course.

I liked the JM Pro, because its American made, parts are widely available, seems built for some rough treatment, and of course, the panache of Jerry Miculek's name.

Also looking at other shotguns: Beretta A300 Outlander, Weatherby SA-08, Franchi Affinity, and the Remington V3. I have to still research whether magazine extended tubes can be installed in all of them. Increasing capacity is important for me.

I didn't realize this " shotgun " thing is more complicated than I thought, but its fun though.

Last edited by DArBad; 06-21-2017 at 9:18 PM..
Old 06-21-2017, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh rick View Post

TO OP: If you are north bay, you could shoot mine at Circle S on a sunday
Thanks for that offer. I may want to just look at it and fondle a little, not shoot. My body needs much rest during the weekend.
Old 06-22-2017, 7:41 AM

anyone know of a place in the inland empire to get the welding done?
Old 07-05-2017, 9:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've wanted a 930. Been looking a JM PRO's for quite a while and never grabbed one. I went a different route when I saw a very basic bead sight version with the tube extension - the 930 Home Security. It's the 18" with 7+1 capacity. For $460 it was only a bit more than my Hatsan MP-A and more sleek, simple. I might leave as-is or add a $10 rail and FF3. The basic 930 reminds me of my basic 500 pump with bead sight.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
I've wanted a 930. Been looking a JM PRO's for quite a while and never grabbed one. I went a different route when I saw a very basic bead sight version with the tube extension - the 930 Home Security. It's the 18" with 7+1 capacity. For $460 it was only a bit more than my Hatsan MP-A and more sleek, simple. I might leave as-is or add a $10 rail and FF3. The basic 930 reminds me of my basic 500 pump with bead sight.
I think that model will exactly meet my need. The JM Pro is geared more for 3-gun competition which is not what I will do anyway. Home defense and occasional range shooting is what I intend to do.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I think that model will exactly meet my need. The JM Pro is geared more for 3-gun competition which is not what I will do anyway. Home defense and occasional range shooting is what I intend to do.
Yeah the JM is just so long in either config. Cool gun though. The other one I was looking at was a camo'd out SPX that just was not worth $700+ when the simple plain stock version with same capacity does the same thing with easier to use safety (no pistol grip stock). I even like the simple hooked charging handle compared to the tactical tube shaped ones. I was happy get one that does what I want with a 7 shot mag tube for that price.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:43 PM

The 930 Tactical is new for 2017 - it is a bare bones 18.5" 930 with the extended mag tube. Although I'm really happy with my JM Pro, I would have probably gone with this model instead of the JM Pro if this was available last year, because my primary use was just for hobby and HD:

http://www.mossberg.com/product/930-...-8-shot-85322/

Although MSRP is $612, I believe these can be easily found for under $500.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The 930 Tactical is new for 2017 - it is a bare bones 18.5" 930 with the extended mag tube. Although I'm really happy with my JM Pro, I would have probably gone with this model instead of the JM Pro if this was available last year, because my primary use was just for hobby and HD:

http://www.mossberg.com/product/930-...-8-shot-85322/

Although MSRP is $612, I believe these can be easily found for under $500.
Well that looks just like the one I bought. I thought it was the "Home security" because it looks similar to those pics online... but it is probably that one. I'll have to check the model number on my DROS.
Old 07-05-2017, 2:11 PM

Just got my 930 jm pro out of jail, man what a beautiful gun it is. I already want to sell my pump 20" 8+1 500 and get another 930.

[U]WTB[/U
Sig P320**
S&W 1911 E Series**
M&P 2.0**

Old 07-05-2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwinam View Post
Just got my 930 jm pro out of jail, man what a beautiful gun it is. I already want to sell my pump 20" 8+1 500 and get another 930.
congrats! let us know what you think + pics
Old 07-05-2017, 6:57 PM

Gang,

I know the JM Pro has the " buffer " thingy in the stock. Does the " tactical " or " SPX ", or " Home Security " models have those too?

See, I prefer one without it, so that it would me much easier to clean and maintain. Also, without that buffer in the stock, it would be comparatively easier to find an aftermarket replacement stock.

Was also told that the barrel in the JM Pro was not as easy to replace as the other 930's say the " Hunting/Turkey/Waterfowl " models.

Please educate me some more.
Old 07-05-2017, 7:29 PM
Veteran Member

As for the JM Pro I cannot comment.

However a trap and skeet range close to me was looking to replace their aging Beretta fleet of semi autos.
The manager got a killer deal from Ruger so they went with it.
A few months in they had to send them all back for warranty and repairs. After a few trips back and forth they ended up being completely replaced this happened a few times until they pulled them from the line and went back to their old Berettas.
Now they are going to sell off/ give away the Rugers and go with the much more expensive Berettas.

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis