Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 12-14-2015, 2:51 PM

Default Used Remington 1100, or wait for a better deal?

Hey all,

I've been meaning to get an autoloader for some time now.
Whether for clays, or for POSSIBLY getting into 3-gun.

I've been heavily looking into the Beretta A300 Outlander, but have been putting it off until Q2 of 2016-ish.

A deal came across for a Remington 1100, 28” Barrel, Blued Finish, Engraved Receiver, Bolt, Glossy Wood With Fancy Checkering, Ribbed Barrel in 12GA.

The thing that is stopping me from picking it up for a CHEAP $350, is that the surface looks pretty pitted, and looks to have suffered some surface rust.

At $350, it's really enticing, but should I be waiting out for a nicer A300, probably new?
Would it be worth it to pick up, and give a nice cleanse? How badly damaged is the bluing finish?

Pictures:

Old 12-14-2015, 3:01 PM
Veteran Member

What do the internals look like?

I'd rather save up $500 more to get a Remington Versamax than have a rusted, pitted duck gun that'll need $XXX to get it to where I need it. I see Benelli M1s on Gunbroker for $500.

44 Mag ammo for sale

H&K P7M8 for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DysfunctionalVet View Post
Reload times are irrelevant.
Old 12-14-2015, 3:03 PM

I have little to no experience working on an semi-auto but have seen a few breakdown videos.

Just from the pictures alone, it does look fairly pitted.
I'd be stepping up from the Remington 870, which is a pre FFG that will pop shells out like nobody's business.
Old 12-14-2015, 3:04 PM

Double post, if a mod could combine this that'd be nice, but on mobile.
Seller indicated it was a family heirloom from '95.
Old 12-14-2015, 3:09 PM
CGN Contributor

Agree with above poster , got a versamax tactical on the uspsa deal for 750 ish .
You can run it as is in 3 gun and mod as needed as you progress.
I have beater shotguns also and wasn't worth the cost to get one up to par with a new one ready to go.
If you are serious about 3 gun , don't get something like this , i watch guys with older ones fail non stop and it takes the fun out of a match when you have a single shot shotgun.
Old 12-14-2015, 3:44 PM
Veteran Member

Last year I had a Browning A5 barrel reblued (J&G Guns in Granite Bay). Just the barrel was close to $200. To reblue the entire firearm, it would have been over $300. Do you want to pay $350 for a firearm that looks like this one plus invest another $300 plus for a "run of the mill" Remington 1100? If you are on a tight budget, get the A300 and get current firearm technology and arguably a better shotgun than this 1100. I've always believed that if my neighbors yard looks like a disaster, the inside of the house is likely the same. If the current owner of this model 1100 let the outside get into this condition, I'd want to take this shotgun apart to see what the internals look like. My guess is that the inside will look similar to the outside....neglected. I say "don't buy this 1100".
Old 12-14-2015, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Overpriced for the condition its in + fixed choke barrel. Pass on it
Old 12-14-2015, 5:57 PM

My three gun 1100 looked a lot worse that that gun when I bought it. Receiver and barrel looked like your barrel. Disassembled, painted the receiver with black Krylon, shortened the barrel to remove the full choke, a little steel wool and cold blue to the barrel, added a side saddle, mag extension, Dave's metal works easyloader, cleaned and oiled and a new O ring. Has never let me down. I like it because I don't worry about it, Three gun is hard on your guns. How is the bore condition with the gun you are considering? Looks like the rust on the barrel is from being put in and left in a case wet, bore likely fine. Ask me how I know. The other thing I noticed about the gun you are considering is it is a Magnum receiver, so likely a full choke barrel if original. I think the Magnum 1100 that can shoot 3" shells are worth more than the run of the mill 2 3/4 chambered guns, if that matters, and might at resale. Not sure how well they shoot the Low Base shells that you will use in three gun. I would research that, as The gas system is different in the Magnum guns in a few ways, including the gas ports in the barrel, and the action sleeve which is heavier in the magnums guns. At $350 its not a steel, but it does appear to me very reasonable way to get a gun up an running for your purpose. Below are a few pictures of my gun, with the painted receiver, which has held up well, and the cold blued barrel, which the blueing is almost all gone,who cares. Good Luck with your choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00193.JPG (61.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00194.JPG (59.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00195.JPG (60.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by wweigle; 12-14-2015 at 6:01 PM..
Old 12-14-2015, 6:01 PM

To much, got one in Lincoln in a lot better shape for $315 out the door.
Old 12-14-2015, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

That's pretty beat and a fixed choke.

You can do better. Be patient.
"The thing about quotes on the Internet is you can't confirm their validity" - Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-14-2015, 7:53 PM
Veteran Member

I would pass and get a better shotgun
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 30" or larger barrels & removable Chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 12-14-2015, 11:10 PM

Interesting, I thought all Remington 1100s were going for a minimum of $700, and this was when I was on the market only about a year ago.

I got some more info from the seller, stating that it's in "tip-top shape" internally, and he just replaced the piston and piston seal as regular maintenance.

I should reword OP and say that 3-gun is a far away opportunity, I think I'm going to be doing IDPA/IPSC/USPSA before I enter 3-gun purely based on location.

With that in mind, this shotgun would be mostly used for skeet/sporting clays.

I've attached pictures under this: does this change anybody's minds about holding off?
I thought $350 was an incredible deal, but maybe I'm not quite on the right market.

Pictures:

Old 12-15-2015, 5:50 AM

Just for reference, a cal guns member just bought a 3 year old 1100 non magnum as new in the box standard with a set of 5 chokes. The wood is pristine and the seller only put 100 rounds through it. Cost was $650. Seller preferred his wide range of beretta and browning overunders.

A month later he bought another in 20 gauge in even better shape for his wife. Same price, $650.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 12-15-2015, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Remington 1100's seem to have a mythical reputation. I believe, as do many others, that's the older models are good shotguns. I don't think as highly of the new 1100's as they, like many other firearms, have been cheapened by lesser quality parts (i.e. plastic). I feel the same about Remington 870's. I believe for the price range of $500-$800, you can find a better shotgun. Buy a Beretta A300 and you will have the advantage of newer technology and in my opinion, a much better shotgun than a Remington 1100 that's been abused and not taken care of.
Old 12-15-2015, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Hold out for better gun.
Old 12-15-2015, 9:02 AM
Veteran Member

OP, you're in Riverside?

I've got both a Rem 1100 and a Beretta A300 you can try out. Neither one is for sale, but you'll have a better idea of how they compare.

P.S. $350 for that gun is about right these days. If they'll take $325, buy it. Keep in mind a little oil and some 0000 steel wool will clean off some of the rust.

In fact I'm heading to Raahauge's today

Last edited by ysr_racer; 12-15-2015 at 9:13 AM..
Old 12-15-2015, 9:17 AM

If you are still considering this gun. I would confirm that it is configured as from the factory with all of the magnum parts including the original magnum barrel with 3" chamber, with magnum gas ports which are different than the 2 3/4 inch gun, and if it still has the magnum action sleeve which is heavier than the 2 3/4 guns. The reason I suggest this is if skeet and clays are going to be your primary use of the gun, the magnum may NOT be what you want, as they are set up primarily to shoot high base shells. Low base, as you probably know will likely be your preferred ammo for skeet and clays, and you may have cycling issues. I have not owned a magnum 1100, so I can't tell you how they do with low base shells. I would definitely do some research to make sure this gun will fit your needs. Lots of very good alternatives to the 1100 in the market, It really comes down to your budget. Good luck. Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Just looked at the pictures again. It does look like it has a magnum action sleeve without the additional machining to remove weight.

Last edited by wweigle; 12-15-2015 at 9:34 AM..
Old 12-15-2015, 1:37 PM

ysr_racer:
It's about damn time I take you up on that freaking offer, but I'm in SFV for the holidays, lol.

It's sounding like it's best if I just pass this up.
Since I still do trap/5-stand with my pump, I don't REALLY have a need for this... but it's always fun to get some new toys!

I'll see if the seller can come down to like ~$300, otherwise I'll pass.

The Beretta A300, when I held it @ Turner's, felt great; but again, do I REALLY need another clay gun?
Old 12-15-2015, 3:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls View Post
; but again, do I REALLY need another clay gun?
Why yes, yes you do
Old 12-15-2015, 3:54 PM

I keep seeing this word "Need"

What is that??
Old 12-16-2015, 12:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawfuls View Post
Hey all,

I've been meaning to get an autoloader for some time now.
Whether for clays, or for POSSIBLY getting into 3-gun.

The thing that is stopping me from picking it up for a CHEAP $350, is that the surface looks pretty pitted, and looks to have suffered some surface rust.

At $350, it's really enticing, but should I be waiting out for a nicer A300, probably new?
Would it be worth it to pick up, and give a nice cleanse? How badly damaged is the bluing finish?
Does it work?
How is the barrel?
I would jump on this if those questions are answered to my satisfaction Cosmetic stuff is not that important to me so a working 1100 at that price would be very tempting.
Old 12-16-2015, 1:55 AM
Calguns Addict

The condition of the exterior of the shotgun isn't the best, but from your photos, the insides look OK. The price is OK.

Despite what some have said, don't hold out for a better shotgun, because the 1100 is not much different from the others in terms of performance and reliability. Just try to be a better shooter and don't worry about the hardware.
Old 12-16-2015, 9:13 PM

The nice thing about the 1100 over the Outlander is aftermarket and parts availability/cost.

I'm with dwtt on this one. If it were me buying it, I'd try and negotiate for 325, or get it at 350.

I'd then buy a jack west adjustable comb stock set. ($200ish)

If it's a fixed mod barrel, I'd keep it and shoot it for trap and sporting clays. I'd also look into a 30" rem choked barrel (new or used) and use it for all the games.

Ps, if you're thinking about running an outlander for 3gun in the far future, please be advised that it will NOT take a mag tube extension, as the design of the gas system (like the real 300 series, 390, 391, 400) does not allow for it (exempt are the extrema/extreme versions and the like of the 391-400 guns, as is the 1301.)

I'm thinking the gun got carried and stored a lot, but shot little. Clean her up, get a new o ring, and get shooting.

Last edited by RayPDA; 12-16-2015 at 9:24 PM..
Old 12-17-2015, 5:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPDA View Post
The nice thing about the 1100 over the Outlander is aftermarket and parts availability/cost.
The nice thing about the Outlander over the 1100 is it doesn't need any aftermarket parts

It's a great gun right out of the box.

Last edited by ysr_racer; 12-17-2015 at 6:51 AM..
Old 12-17-2015, 1:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweigle View Post
If you are still considering this gun. I would confirm that it is configured as from the factory with all of the magnum parts including the original magnum barrel with 3" chamber, with magnum gas ports which are different than the 2 3/4 inch gun, and if it still has the magnum action sleeve which is heavier than the 2 3/4 guns. The reason I suggest this is if skeet and clays are going to be your primary use of the gun, the magnum may NOT be what you want, as they are set up primarily to shoot high base shells. Low base, as you probably know will likely be your preferred ammo for skeet and clays, and you may have cycling issues. I have not owned a magnum 1100, so I can't tell you how they do with low base shells. I would definitely do some research to make sure this gun will fit your needs. Lots of very good alternatives to the 1100 in the market, It really comes down to your budget. Good luck. Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Just looked at the pictures again. It does look like it has a magnum action sleeve without the additional machining to remove weight.

It's an old-school 1100 Magnum, it's not like more modern guns that we take for granted will shoot a wide range of shells. The 1100s are like the '55 Chevy of auto shotguns; they were all the rage for customizing once upon a time, because they were pretty much the only thing widely available and relatively affordable.

Although nowadays it's not hard to find very expensive custom 1100s, Wilson Combat and so on, I'd say it's the shotgun version of what someone called 1911s: The MILF of handguns.

I'd buy it if I wanted to bring some classic Americana to a duck blind, but for what you want I'd go elsewhere.

I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds