Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:07 PM

Default 870 Forend Falls Out Of Battery, Can't Load

I have a well loved 870 that is still in great shape far as I can tell, can't see any abnormal wear that's different from my other 870's.

Problem is, run the gun empty, pull the trigger on an empty chamber, point the gun up to load the tube, forend slides back just enough to prevent loading the tube. Have to point the gun down or try to hold the forend forward while loading the tube. This is annoying while shooting clays but unacceptable in a defense scenario, especially since it's my wife's gun. It was her dad's gun so there's no swapping it for another, I just need to fix it.

Only slides back a little bit, but it's enough to prevent loading. I've pulled it apart but don't see any obvious wear. Locks up real right when cocked, no other hints of an issue, gun runs smooth as can be, just a little too smooth in this case.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2016, 11:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

weak hammer spring?

you could change your loading style after firing shuck it back ,drop one in the chamber through the port ,then slide it home, then insert the remaining shells into the tube
Old 07-20-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
you could change your loading style after firing shuck it back ,drop one in the chamber through the port ,then slide it home, then insert the remaining shells into the tube

What I've done the last forty plus years with my Wingmaster..........always have loaded chamber first, mag second.............
Load my 1187 skeet gun the same way, chamber first, mag second...................
Never seem anyone load empty gun from the mag when the chamber was empty................
Much faster to load the chamber, then the mag!

Last edited by b.thomas; 07-21-2016 at 12:04 AM..
Old 07-21-2016, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrometip78 View Post

Problem is, run the gun empty, pull the trigger on an empty chamber, point the gun up to load the tube, forend slides back just enough to prevent loading the tube. Have to point the gun down or try to hold the forend forward while loading the tube.
This is 100% normal operation. When un-cocked, the bolt can slide back slightly and hold the shell carrier closed when it's held vertically.
Quote:
Locks up real right when cocked
Only slides back a little bit, but it's enough to prevent loading.
870s are designed to be loaded when cocked.
Quote:
I just need to fix it.
There is no "fix" I'm aware of. None of my 870s will load uncocked if the forend/bolt is moved slightly aft.

Quote:
...point the gun up to load the tube, forend slides back just enough to prevent loading the tube.
Load it as designed, muzzle down or horizontal.
Or as noted above, load the chamber first, close the bolt then load the mag tube.

Last edited by Citadelonline; 07-21-2016 at 4:57 AM..
Old 07-21-2016, 6:42 AM
Veteran Member

If you want to store/have ready/carry on an empty chamber, safety on aka "Cruiser Ready" simply rack the slide on an empty mag so no round is in the chamber, then fill the magazine tube. To have your shotgun in "Battle Ready" safety on, cycle the action, load a round through the ejection port, close the action, then fill the feed tube.

The idea of "Cruiser Ready" is that if the shotgun is stored in the trunk the action will not be disengaged accidentally by shifting around in the trunk. The downside to cruiser ready is a shotgun is already limited by the number of rounds it can carry, so down loading it by one more makes it one less effective vs "Battle Ready". The down side to "Battle Ready" is if you need to do a shot selection to a slug you will loose one or two rounds depending on your shotgun's make, model and/or training.
Old 07-21-2016, 6:55 AM

Appreciate the help guys, kinda what I was afraid of, was just hoping there was a simple part to replace to tighten it up.

It just struck me as odd since my other 2 don't do the same. However one doesn't have nearly as many rounds through it and the other has a really light old school ribbed forend.

Old 07-25-2016, 6:08 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrometip78 View Post
Appreciate the help guys, kinda what I was afraid of, was just hoping there was a simple part to replace to tighten it up.

It just struck me as odd since my other 2 don't do the same. However one doesn't have nearly as many rounds through it and the other has a really light old school ribbed forend.

Yup very common. The more you use it the smoother the action gets which IMHO is an advantage.