Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-13-2017, 4:05 PM

Default Question about M4 H20

I've been wanting to pick up an M4 for a while now but have been focusing on fleshing out my handgun collection a bit first. Have always liked the look of the H20, which I know went out of production in 2013 but has since been brought back in a titanium cerakote finish.

I've looked online but found a lot of conflicting info and am hopeful someone can enlighten me a bit.
As far as I'm aware, the initial run of H20s was VERY limited. Apparently there are many "unofficial" ones that have been finished by Robar, who also did the originals.

While visiting a shop over the weekend I found 3 H20s, two new and one used.
The color didn't quite look like titanium cerkote and the dealer said it was NP3.
I also noticed that the innards weren't black as they appear to be on the updated run.
The shop did confirm the new ones were from dealer inventory and not something to their knowledge had been sent to Robar.

Today I spoke with Benelli Customer Service who, by their description, made the ones I saw sound like originals. They did not offer production figures but did confirm that some of the original run had the non-collapsible stocks.
I'm going to try to get the serial numbers from the guns to confirm their build info.

For anyone who likely knows much more than I do, was there a run between the original batch and the ones being produced now? Everything seems to indicate these are originals but it just seems so incredibly unlikely that I'd happen to run across them, especially in CA.

Short of having the serial numbers looked up, any dead giveaways to determine the original run of NP3 vs refinished vs modern cerakote versions?

Thanks so much for any insight.
Old 03-13-2017, 5:36 PM

I know this isn't a direct answer for your questions, but... If the model you want is hard to find and quite expensive, maybe consider getting the black finish and have it professionally cerakoted? Might even cost less that way.

Last edited by shortround1; 03-17-2017 at 10:20 PM..
Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 PM

The H20 isn't hard to come by, as far as I know. If you want it, it's available.
It's just that the earlier variant had a seemingly more interesting finish.

I'm just curious if there was a run in between the original and the current or if they're all aftermarket finishes.

To my knowledge, Robar will finish the standard M4 to H20 specs. There's even a better finish now but I believe it's quite expensive.