Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:12 PM

Default Brahma safes?

Has anyone purchased or able to provide any feedback on Brahma safes?

I looking at the B-50 with electric combination to be exact.

Any and all feedback is appreciated and Thank you,

Mike
  • 45 GUN CAPACITY
  • 72'' TALL X 42'' WIDE X 28'' DEEP
  • ONE HOUR FIRE RATE
  • 18 - 1 1/2'' LOCKING BOLTS
  • WEIGHS 1,050 LBS
  • HEAVY 10 GAUGE BODY

Old 03-05-2011, 7:57 AM

I've never seen this brand before. It sure has a hell of a lot of bolts around that door. I like the center rifle section, more safes should have that. 6' height is nice. Where is it made and how much? Who sells it?

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 03-05-2011, 9:33 AM

Cold Steel Safe sells them, from my understanding they are also their house brand and can provide a TON of options. Current price is only $1300 and they can drop ship to your driveway also.

When I looked at them they appear to be a great value. I'm not looking for a show piece for my den,...I'm looking for a secure and solid safe for my investments.
They have a store in Roseville & Anderson CA

I think it is going to be hard to beat the vale and versatility.

Last edited by Hallz; 03-05-2011 at 9:45 AM..
Old 03-05-2011, 2:43 PM

Yeah, have to admit that just by the pic and specs it seems like a solid deal. No way its US made for that price. I'd like to know more about how good the linkage is for all those bolts in the door for that price as well.
Looks good so far but really do your homework before you buy a somewhat unknown brand of safe regardless of the price. Reputation goes a long way if you have a problem latter. What's the warranty? Is it electronic or dial?

Old 03-05-2011, 3:55 PM

The sales guy was honest and upfront and said that due to the steel prices and labor unfortunately we do have it manufactured in China to our sepc's and standards with US quality control.

He said that since it is the house safe and they have to guarantee they want to provide the better product at any comparable price even internet sales. They have Cannon and Browning safes side by side to these and other than finish and internal hinges similar safes are in the 3k range.

Choice of dial or electronic (no price change)
Biometrics available if requested (additional charge)
Rechargeable dehumidifier ($25)
4 way (3-active) bolt work
Auxiliary relocker
5 spoke handle
Drill resistant hard plate

I will confirm warranty
Looking around today smaller 12 gauge 30min rated safes in the area are 1800-2200+ at Sportsman Warehouse and do not appear and feel anywhere close the same quality (imo)

Anyone have any input or specific questions I should ask regarding the linkage, dial, elec lock mechanistic etc I would greatly appreciate it.

It appears most places don't really know much about the differences in safes other than ratings and sales ligature. That is why I went to a local safe company that carry's the top brands, has a good local reputation but not overpriced/marketed.
Old 03-05-2011, 6:14 PM

If the seller has been around for a while and stands behind their products then thats a promising start. Do they sell and service just safes or is this some sporting goods store or something? Will they deliver/install in you house? Liberty charges about $250-local for this service and its well worth it.
I personally like a dial but others like the keypad. I would get an S&G electronic keypad if you go that way. I've read the Leguard ones are ify. Seems like even the best keypad locks often need to be replaced every 3-5 years anyways. The biometrics look cool but I'm not convinced they have that technology perfected at the consumer product level yet. Why risk it? Whats a "rechargeable dehumidifier"? If its one of those remington plug-in boxes you can get them on Amazon or any gunshow for about $10. Lighting is nice to have and some safes have a power outlet wired in them. Those are worthy options. If you've got power then you could plug in a Golden Rod. Then you don't need the "dehumidifier".
The main thing that I would be concerned about would be the warranty and how reliable the linkage is for all those 1 1\2 locking bolts. If they have one with the guts expose then you could see for yourself if it looks well put together or not.
Good luck.

Old 03-05-2011, 8:53 PM

I looked at one last week . Big as hell. I liked it. Its made in china but are shipped out of OK. Check out west coast safes in ontario. Right next to ammo bros.
Old 10-28-2011, 7:38 AM

I have a brahma B-40. I really like it and LOVE the 1 1/2" bolts in the door (bigger than most safes). I personally dont trust electronics (too many things can happen to or be done to them) so I went with the manual dial lock. One thing that is good or bad about it (depending on how you look at it) is the outside external door hinges, they allow the door to be opened a full 180 degrees which is really nice, but I think internal hinges are much more secure.
Since i am worried more about fires than break ins i am ok with it esp the 1200 degree for 60 min. rating (better than most safes i looked at). Either way they are good safes for the money and all depends on your preferances and security needs.

Last edited by my1871colt45; 10-28-2011 at 7:42 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
Old 10-30-2011, 5:48 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by my1871colt45 View Post
I have a brahma B-40. I really like it and LOVE the 1 1/2" bolts in the door (bigger than most safes). I personally dont trust electronics (too many things can happen to or be done to them) so I went with the manual dial lock. One thing that is good or bad about it (depending on how you look at it) is the outside external door hinges, they allow the door to be opened a full 180 degrees which is really nice, but I think internal hinges are much more secure.
Since i am worried more about fires than break ins i am ok with it esp the 1200 degree for 60 min. rating (better than most safes i looked at). Either way they are good safes for the money and all depends on your preferances and security needs.
I recently read an article that discussed internal vs external hinges... suggested that external is actually more secure because typically hack-job burglars will try to access through the hinges where with the internal type they will attack the lock itself (theory is it will take longer to get through he hinges than the lock)... basically said the internal hinges are more of a marketing thing boasting better security.

I'm no expert, but it makes sense to me
Old 10-30-2011, 6:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
I recently read an article that discussed internal vs external hinges... suggested that external is actually more secure because typically hack-job burglars will try to access through the hinges where with the internal type they will attack the lock itself (theory is it will take longer to get through he hinges than the lock)... basically said the internal hinges are more of a marketing thing boasting better security.

I'm no expert, but it makes sense to me
If it's a halfway-decent safe, there will be bolts on the hinge side of the door, too. Sure someone can chop off the hinges, but that doesn't change the fact that it's just as securely locked on that side of the door as on the non-hinge side. That is the reason that internal vs. external hinges are purely a marketing gimmick.
Old 10-30-2011, 8:11 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded Claymore View Post
If it's a halfway-decent safe, there will be bolts on the hinge side of the door, too. Sure someone can chop off the hinges, but that doesn't change the fact that it's just as securely locked on that side of the door as on the non-hinge side. That is the reason that internal vs. external hinges are purely a marketing gimmick.
the suggestion that the external is more secure doesn't have anything to do with the physical characteristics of the safe - but more-so that a fly-by-night burglar would be apt to hack at the hinges... whereas on the internal hinges they would go after the lock.

The theory is that they would not be successful with the hinges but the same amount of time spent on the lock might get them in.

Personally I'm more concerned about the build quality, materials, bolts and lock (as well as decent price)... if all else fit the bill internal or external wouldn't really matter to me.