Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-04-2011, 8:49 AM

Default Need Help with CA gun laws.

I didnt think it would be possible but I have found a way of screwing myself even more by moving from NJ to CA. I'm trying to understand the gun laws but i'm confused.( i apologize in advance since i'm sure many of you get questions ALL the time.)

I dont understand what the list of approved guns is for, and am i allowed to bring in guns that are not on the list?

I have a SA 1911 with 7 and 8 round mags.
I have a SA XDM .45 with 13 round mags.
I have a GSG 1911 .22 with 10 round mags but it has a threaded barrel.

I also have an ACR rifle 5.56 with 10 and 15 round mags.

Sorry for being a PIA. and thanks for the help.
Old 03-04-2011, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

SA 1911- sounds ok

SA XDM - No mags over 10 rounds......but I don't think you can get 10 round mags for it. May have to modify the ones you have.

GSG 1911 - Going to have to change the threaded barrel. I believe you can keep it for use out of state. So you may want to just bring it in disassembled and deal with getting a barrel later. Someone will be along shortly to verify this.

ACR rifle - If the receiver is on "the list", it is a no go and you will have to find a replacement receiver. If not, all you need to do is add a bullet button. Any mags over 10 rounds will either have to be left in NJ, modified to 10 rounds, or disassembled and brought in in pieces (do not reassemble in CA).

Unfortunately, the Golden State has lost its luster.

Last edited by jl123; 03-04-2011 at 9:02 AM..
Old 03-04-2011, 9:18 AM

Thanks for the help.

Which list are you referencing for the rifle?
Old 03-04-2011, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRU View Post
Which list are you referencing for the rifle?
The list is attached to this flowchart:

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

It's at the top of the page under "AW & OLL Guides". Hunt around--there's a lot of good info here.

Tim
Old 03-04-2011, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl123 View Post
ACR rifle - If the receiver is on "the list", it is a no go and you will have to find a replacement receiver...
For clarification: In this case "the list" does not refer to the "safe handgun list" that you've already apparently seen. There is a list of banned rifles that you'll need to check. I'm not a rifle guy so much, but I think the list he's referring to will be in this checklist the third or fourth step I think. Start here.
Old 03-04-2011, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one*eyed*jack View Post
For clarification: In this case "the list" does not refer to the "safe handgun list" that you've already apparently seen. There is a list of banned rifles that you'll need to check. I'm not a rifle guy so much, but I think the list he's referring to will be in this checklist the third or fourth step I think. Start here.
yeah, go over the flowchart on the rifle. there's more to worry about than adding a bullet button.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

As to handguns, the Roster is a limitation on CA FFLs selling them. Except for what CA calls 'assault weapons', moving here with handguns not on the Roster is fine.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-04-2011, 1:55 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
As to handguns, the Roster is a limitation on CA FFLs selling them. Except for what CA calls 'assault weapons', moving here with handguns not on the Roster is fine.
In fact a slightly used handgun not on the roster can probably be sold in CA for 20% more than what you bought it new for out of state. Bring as many as you can as they can be hard to find here. Buying/selling off roster handguns in face to face private party transfers is perfectly legal here.

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Old 03-04-2011, 1:58 PM

all good advice, but as for moving from new jersey to california, gun law wise, i'd say you're moving out of the fire, and into the frying pan.
Old 03-04-2011, 3:15 PM
Veteran Member

Oh and welcome to the struggle.
Old 03-04-2011, 3:38 PM
#1 Bull Goose Loony

Welcome to CalGuns theRU!

Don't worry about asking questions that have been asked before. There are people reading this that have the same questions but are too shy to post.

Check out the 4 Assault Weapon Chart buttons at the top of the page.

You can bring any handgun into CA as long as it's not an AW. NO magazines greater than 10 rounds.

If you lived here and had >10 rd Mags before 2000 you're OK to possess them. If you disassemble your Mags you can bring them into the state as parts kits, but it's illegal to reassemble them while you're here. No selling, manufacturing or importation of magazines.

The handgun roster applies to handguns sold by FFLs. You can bring Non-List handguns into the state when you move, you can buy one from a private party. You can't buy one from out of state cause the sale has to go through an FFL.

I believe the chart will show you that a threaded barrel on a handgun makes it an assault weapon.

Have you learned about the bullet button magazine release yet? That one will blow your mind, man.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/

There's lots to learn and CalGuns is the place for it.

Welcome, Have Fun!
CA Legislature Bill Search - http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...chClient.xhtml
C D Michel, lots of reporting on current CA Legislation - http://www.calgunlaws.com
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Old 06-24-2011, 4:57 AM

Hey guys thanks for everything, its official, I'll be in Cali by 7/18/11.

One more question regarding the acr. If the bullet button renders the magazine as a "fixed" type magazine, is the limit still 10 rounds? Or can the capacity be higher now?

thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 5:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

10 rounds is the limit. With a fixed mag anything over 10 makes it an assault weapon again.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 06-24-2011, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
10 rounds is the limit. With a fixed mag anything over 10 makes it an assault weapon again.
This is my understanding as well.

This might be of interest to you.

If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?

No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.

(PC Section 12020 (b)(19-29))
Old 06-24-2011, 5:32 AM
#1 Bull Goose Loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody_2ZZ View Post
This is my understanding as well.

This might be of interest to you.

If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?

No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.

(PC Section 12020 (b)(19-29))

For a more than 10 round magazine to be grandfathered you must have both owned the magazine and been a resident of CA before Jan 2000.

If you disassemble your mags you can bring them with you, (when disassembled they're just parts, not actual mags) but it is against the law to reassemble them in CA. That would be manufacturing.
CA Legislature Bill Search - http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...chClient.xhtml
C D Michel, lots of reporting on current CA Legislation - http://www.calgunlaws.com
Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
Old 06-24-2011, 7:37 AM

Gotcha... Thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 9:32 AM

Do you have a New Jersey concealed carry permit? If yes, you're apparently one of the chosen few. If no, you may find it easier to get a concealed carry permit in California depending on which county you're moving to.

The XDm-45's a sweet gun, isn't it? I'm not sure there are 10 round mags for it which would be a problem with CA's mag cap limits. I suppose the 13 round mags could be blocked at 10 rounds somehow. Wonder how that works when you have to register the gun with CA DOJ.
Old 06-24-2011, 9:43 AM

About those handguns,

If you are moving from NJ to CA. You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. PDF You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machine guns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))
Remember those 15 rounders and XDm Magazines my be brought in as parts. My recommendation is to install a pop rivet so the magazine follower is limited in its travel. Or install a wooden dowel inside the mag body under the follower and then pop rivet the floor plate to base pad.

Last edited by Mstrty; 06-24-2011 at 9:47 AM..
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM

Welcome in advance to the Golden Goose State. What you save in NJ property taxes will be swallowed whole by CA personal income taxes and other assorted CA fees. You haven't mentioned what part of the state you'll be in, but you can probably leave that snow shovel behind.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:23 AM
AKA: Joe Censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaLiberal View Post
For a more than 10 round magazine to be grandfathered you must have both owned the magazine and been a resident of CA before Jan 2000.

If you disassemble your mags you can bring them with you, (when disassembled they're just parts, not actual mags) but it is against the law to reassemble them in CA. That would be manufacturing.
This is not true, you did not have to be a "resident," you just had to have possessed them in CA prior to 2000. If in 1999 you drove through on a family trip with your mags in the car, they are cool to come back today. They could have even been your dad's mags at the time (ownership is not mentioned in the PC), but you were in possession of them while previously in this state, like if your dad let you hold them for a moment. See exception 23 in PC 12020

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12020.html
Quote:
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(23) The importation of a large-capacity magazine by a person who
lawfully possessed the large-capacity magazine in the state prior to
January 1, 2000, lawfully took it out of the state, and is returning
to the state with the large-capacity magazine previously lawfully
possessed in the state.
You can also legally use them in an AR or whatever rifle as long as you go featureless and DO NOT install a bullet button mag lock. See the previously linked AW guide for how to do that legally.

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.

Last edited by stix213; 06-24-2011 at 11:38 AM..
Old 06-24-2011, 4:25 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmc View Post
The XDm-45's a sweet gun, isn't it? I'm not sure there are 10 round mags for it which would be a problem with CA's mag cap limits. I suppose the 13 round mags could be blocked at 10 rounds somehow. Wonder how that works when you have to register the gun with CA DOJ.
The Springfield Armory XDM-45 uses the same magazines as the Springfield Armory XD-45. So, factory 10 round magazines are available for it.

Prior to moving to CA, dissassemble your 13 round magazines into magazine parts and either use the parts to make permanent 10 round magazines (not recommended, since you can buy factory 10 round magazines) or keep them as parts & never assemble them while in CA (assemble & use them when you goto other states).

Also the XD-45 wasn't created until 2004, so there is no way anyone could have possessed a large capacity XD-45 magazine in CA prior to 01-01-2000.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-24-2011, 7:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaLiberal View Post

Nowhere in the penal code will you find a residency requirement. A tourist shooting a 10+ mag in his gun while on vacation in CA prior to 2000 can legally bring that mag back into CA.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.