Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Why sig?

Whats the big deal about sigs??

My buddies have all been into glock.. then kimber 1911's.. now they are in sig buying sprees...

Whats so amazing about these.. I know glocks are pretty good hand guns.. AK like im told.. but im not really a hand gun guy.. More a rifle guy..

So this is all Spanish to me with these hand gun trends.. Im turning 21 soon and am looking to research more into hand guns to get a hand gun of handguns and it seems sigs the new talk of my group..

Anyone wanna help??

Im watching youtube reviews and google reviews as we speak so Im trying to catch up a little but id rather get live feed back

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 03-02-2011, 10:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Basically what im asking is if you had a glock 21 and a Sig P220 on a tabel and had to run to war.. Which would you grab and why?

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 03-02-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Why sig?

One trip the range showed me the light. One of the best DA trigger pulls out there. Simple as that.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member

There quality. There downright simple for DA/SA, safe and damn accurate. You can't higher quality unless its a high end 1911. Now you do pay more than a glock, but you get great fit and finish and a SA trigger that just kicks butt. And hey they look cool!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Basically what im asking is if you had a glock 21 and a Sig P220 on a tabel and had to run to war.. Which would you grab and why?
The P220 because it fits me better. Now ask the question with a 9mm or .40S&W Glock and I would say Glock. Simpler trigger operations and easier to maintain and disassemble.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Basically what I'm asking is if you had a glock 21 and a Sig P220 on a table and had to run to war.. Which would you grab and why?
Neither, but at home I usually have a Sig, on the road it's a Glock. Of, course thats only cause my wife keeps the Sig. Hmm time to buy another.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

My first autoloader, a Sig P228 ruined me. When I had to tinker with a $930 dollar 1911 to get it to run, I was pulling my hair out in disbelief. That old P228 still runs like the day it was made almost twenty years ago.

These days I carry a 45.

Nothing wrong with a Glock, if you like the grip angle. It's just odd to me. My "Glock" is a Springfield XD45 Compact.

But 9 times out of 10 when I'm staring onto my safe deciding what to strap on before heading out the out the door, I pick one of my 2 1911s that I have tuned and torture tested until I had the same confidence in them as that old Sig.

A Glock is a Volkswagon. A Sig is a Mercedes. A 1911 is a Harley Davidson, so if you don't want to tinker as necessary to get it reliable, don't buy the Harley.

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit
Old 03-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Sig equals the cadillac of handguns .
Old 03-02-2011, 10:41 PM

I'm currently in the market for a sig semi-auto as a first handgun choice and have recently found these to be the pros and cons of the sig.

Pros:
- They look awesome
- The quality of the gun is top notch, you don't hear many(if any) instances where a sig is unreliable (aside from the "mosquito" models)
- Awesome ergonomics, better than HK USP (IMO)
- Feels better in my hand than a glock, the glock has a squarish grip that feels awkward in my hand (This may no longer be an issue with the new Gen 4 glocks that have been released due to factory interchangeable grips).
- I get better groupings when shooting them compared to a USP of same caliber.
- Sig Saur is well known for their quality handguns
- Cheaper than HK for what you get. (IMO)

Cons:
- They aren't as cheap as a glock, but you get what you pay for.
- Not as many after-market parts/modifications compared to a glock.
- A stock trigger has one of the highest trigger resets i have experienced. I would get a factory SRT trigger modification if i bought a sig to reduce trigger reset by %60 ($130 if not pre-installed, which includes shipping cost to factory).
- May be difficult to handle for those with small hands.

I really want a P226 elite or a x-five allround... but neither are on the CA roster. Private Transfer, Anyone?

Last edited by Jpeg; 03-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 03-02-2011, 10:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Either or... Honestly, they're both great guns. The Glock has many benefits, and so does the Sig. I'd have a hard time choosing personally, but might end up with the Glock because that's what I'm used to mostly, and parts are everywhere.

However, I'd have no issues using a Sig what-so-ever. Hell, I'd even use a HK if you made me...
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 PM

Sigs P series are not plastic.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for your replies guys.. Im a little skeptical of nuttnfancy but I figured Id throw this up for anyone else wondering the same as me..

I came across these..

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 03-02-2011, 10:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

So far to everyone who said the Sig's are too expensive...

You can get a Sig Pro for cheap, or you can get a used Sig for a good price. There's nothing wrong with these two options. If you're buying a used Sig you should have someone knowledgeable inspect it such as a gunsmith or a buddy who knows his handguns.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 03-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Calguns Addict

This question always make me think of this...

They didn't get the "to hell and back reliability" reputation because they look cool. Sigs are as legit as they come. If it's got the Sig Sauer name on it, it's gonna do you right.

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yea see the price tag scared me away a little.. And I wondered how much better can you really get than a glock...

But my buddy who just bought a sig and already has a glock made the new sig he bought seem god like compared to his glock..

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 03-02-2011, 10:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yea see the price tag scared me away a little.. And I wondered how much better can you really get than a glock...

But my buddy who just bought a sig and already has a glock made the new sig he bought seem god like compared to his glock..
If you're just going for paper specs and reliability, then yes, it's hard to beat a Glock. However, if you shoot both guns, you'll see that they're different. The Sig is a really nice gun, and a lot of people prefer the angle and feel to the Sig over the Glock. Personally, I like the Sig better, but the slide catch doesn't work well with my big hands, so I stick with Glock.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 03-02-2011, 10:59 PM

I've shot both chambered in 9mm and they are both great guns, I personally own a 226 in 9mm and prefer it over my friends glock. I would say go to a firing range and see which one you like better.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:23 PM

Are you just looking into sig because all your buddies are into them currently, or are you just trying to gain some knowledge about handguns?

I love my sig (P220R), but to be honest, the only reason I have it was cause my neighbor gave it to me for a killer deal. If it weren't for that I doubt I would own one at this time.

If you like sig's get one and you won't regret it, but look around. I have read threads and reviews on here about guns I didn't even know about. I like to browse the private firearms section in the marketplace and then do a search on the gun I saw and see what people have to say about them.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:33 PM

Since you said go to war with ... No question for me I'd choose the GLOCK 21.

Both great.. I've owned plenty of SIGs... and Glocks.. Glock 21 if it fits your hand then I like that it carries 5 more rounds on tap... is easy to service and inexpensive to purchase.

The 220 will do also.. but for a rough service gun The 21 would be my 1st choice between a 220 and a 21...
YMMV...

If you want a great 45.... well get the original... 1911.... it's been to war and back... for 100 years.. Of course not that you should care....but you might even impress your friends..

Last edited by Ranger20; 03-02-2011 at 11:38 PM..
Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:

First of all, don't let the pricetag hold you back. In the world of firearms (especially for the practical purpose of self-defense), you often times get what you paid for. Naturally, this is true in many material things were quality varies greatly. Anyway, there's nothing wrong with a Glock (I have one. Hell, I carry the G23 concealed for work!), but I prefer holding and shooting the Sigs. I can hold my own with my duty weapon, but if given the choice, I would go with the one that feels better in my hand. I would, personally, pay for that increase in comfort, fit and finish. Therefore, in terms of comfort, fit and finish, the Sig wins. For ruggedness, availability of accessories and parts, and toughness, the Glock wins by a nose. Virtually every gun store has at least one Glock or a Glock accessory........but not every store may have a Sig product.

If your friend would be so kind, he should let you fire his new Sig. That is, if he's not like this guy:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gollum.jpg (72.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-02-2011, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

I agree. I love my glock but sig is just a finer weapon. I shoot almost equal with both. It always to have a glock and some higher end weapon (1911,Sig,Beretta).
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 PM

Since this would be your first handgun you may want to lean toward Glock since they are virtually indestructible. Clean it, don't clean it, oil it, don't oil it, either way your good. My first handgun was a Glock and it served its purpose in teaching me my fundamentals.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d sauce View Post
Since this would be your first handgun you may want to lean toward Glock since they are virtually indestructible. Clean it, don't clean it, oil it, don't oil it, either way your good. My first handgun was a Glock and it served its purpose in teaching me my fundamentals.
Sig functions the same way. You can't go wrong with either, and it's really just a difference in feel to the shooter.
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 03-03-2011, 12:15 AM

Uh, that first part is kinda vague for me. I do agree with the second part. I'm not going to get into the whole Glock vs. SIG debate because it has been done to death (and I have both so I am biased) but I was just trying to recommend what handgun of the two may benefit him more since he said he is more of a rifle guy.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:28 AM

P220. Both are suppose to be very reliable guns but the G21 can jam if you limp wrist. Any Glock in .45 is prone to it. It just is. The P220 is alot more forgiving, its more accurate, recoils less and built better than a plastic G21. I give small advantage to steel or alloy guns over plastic when it comes to .45's. The P220 has thinner grips and I find it more comfortable to hold. But both are good guns and it comes down to what feels best to you and what you shoot best. So with that said, the choice is subjective in the end.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
P220. Both are suppose to be very reliable guns but the G21 can jam if you limp wrist. Any Glock in .45 is prone to it. It just is. The P220 is alot more forgiving, its more accurate, recoils less and built better than a plastic G21. I give small advantage to steel or alloy guns over plastic when it comes to .45's. The P220 has thinner grips and I find it more comfortable to hold. But both are good guns and it comes down to what feels best to you and what you shoot best. So with that said, the choice is subjective in the end.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0104350AAoQRoW
Glock Certified Armorer
Old 03-03-2011, 12:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

SIG, because it's sweet.
Old 03-03-2011, 3:50 AM

Eh, I'm not too high in SIGs. I have a P229 SAS and it's OK. Maybe it's because of the DAK trigger on it, maybe the pistol grip just doesn't fit me quite right. I keep going back to my G17.
Old 03-03-2011, 5:08 AM
Calguns Addict

after how good you shoot them, it just comes down to what is aesthetically pleasing to you and how it feels.

I bought a glock 19 because the dead zombie doesn't care what shot him and it was $300 cheaper. Your friends are collectors, just get something. Glock, sig, 1911, etc they are all great "go to war" guns.
Old 03-03-2011, 5:44 AM

Location: San Marcos (Pismo Beach, CA one weekend a month haha)

Theyre both good guns. I once owned a Glock but when my parents needed a couple guns I gave my dad my Beretta and my mom the Glock and 12 gauge Mossberg. I kept my Springfield XD 45 and Sig P226R Equinox because I like the feel of them both better and the Sig just feels so good to shoot. Hell, it looks freaking awesome too. But realistically, go to a range and shoot them both. Theyre both good guns and you should let yourself decide which one to get based on your personal opinion on how they feel and shoot......uh oh...I'm ranting...crap... GOOD LUCK!

-Jae from my HTC EVO
Old 03-03-2011, 6:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Glock just because of the trigger. In combat, the Glock trigger imo is the best there is. Any change in trigger (like the DA/SA on a SIG) is bad.

Sig Sauer: "When you don't want to place too great an emphasis on reliability"
Old 03-03-2011, 6:15 AM

Quote:
The one that was loaded.

Why? See above.
Old 03-03-2011, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
P220. Both are suppose to be very reliable guns but the G21 can jam if you limp wrist. Any Glock in .45 is prone to it.
This has NOT been my experience, I have 2 Glocks, a G30 (compact 45acp) and a G17 (full size 9mm). I don't have an issue with limp wristing either one, however, my 10 year old son does. He can fire my 45 all day long with NO failures. I let him shoot my 9mm, and he couldn't get a single shot off without it jamming. (due to limp wristing.)

As far as the whole Glock vs. Sig thing goes, having never fired a Sig, I'm not going there. I will say that I've been very happy with my Glocks, zero failures is zero failures, it's just going to come down to which one gives you the "warm fuzzy feeling."
To the OP, go to a range and rent a couple, you wouldn't buy a pair of shoes without trying them on would you?
The ONLY hand gun I've ever had that I could say that I ABSOLUTELY would NOT take to war is my old Smith & Wesson 669. Compact 9mm.....the frame broke. S&W replaced it and upgraded stuff on it under warranty, but that ruined it for me.
Old 03-03-2011, 6:21 AM
THE NEW GUY

My 2 cents...
Like Harley owners will tell you...

"If you have to ask, you will never understand"

Along with that, I think Glock is a better Holster weapon. Only because I don't want to scratch my 220.
Old 03-03-2011, 6:26 AM

sig's, in my opinion, fit better in the hands than glock's. Also, glock frames are plastic while sig frames are alluminum alloy. Some people like plastic better cause alluminum frames, in the past, are known to crack (however, I haven't heard any crack in the past few years).

one of the best ways is to shoot both guns and see which one you like the most. A lot of ranges have glock's for rental. You'll probably need to ask to shoot someone's sig's.

Just a thought. I know a range owner very well and he does not have Sig's for rental. He had HK's for rental but they broke within the first few months. For him, although the manufacturers do not charge him for sending the guns back for repair, once the gun is not there, he loses money on the rental. As a result, he only has the ones that can sustain all the abuse from people who rent them (more than 100 Glock's, Colt 1911's, AMT, Ruger revolvers and semi's, Steyr M's).

That's his point of view. For myself, I don't shoot more than a few hundred rounds through my guns everyday and I have a few of the guns that my shooting range owner friend doesn't think is durable.

like i always say, if you're struggling with 2 guns, and you can't decided after you've shot both, just save more money, and buy both.
Old 03-03-2011, 6:37 AM

Simply The Best. And you pay for that. You have to feel one to know what I am talking about.
Old 03-03-2011, 6:43 AM

Let me say to war a pistol is only to fight your way to a rifle.
I own both and carry both. I have a Glock 36 and a Sig P-239 I carry depending on clothing and weight if running.
If I understand your post you are just reaching the age to own a pistol. Spend a lot of time and money learning the proper way to handle a pistol from a true professional. I base my decision on instructors with one question. Have you been in combat and where. There are a lot of theory people in this world that read a book and take a test. If you learn from the best and practice to become the best you will be able to perform with almost any pistol available. The pistol is either a tool or a thing of beauty not often both.
If you decide to follow the herd look back once in a while to be sure the rest are following.
Bill
Old 03-03-2011, 8:48 AM

Default sig

Quote:

My buddies have all been into glock.. then kimber 1911's.. now they are in sig buying sprees...

Whats so amazing about these.. I know glocks are pretty good hand guns.. AK like im told.. but im not really a hand gun guy.. More a rifle guy..

So this is all Spanish to me with these hand gun trends.. Im turning 21 soon and am looking to research more into hand guns to get a hand gun of handguns and it seems sigs the new talk of my group..

Anyone wanna help??

Im watching youtube reviews and google reviews as we speak so Im trying to catch up a little but id rather get live feed back
I say buy them all. Which one fits in your hand the best. I own just about all the 45's out there.Sig.Glock.H&K,Kimber ,Les baer,Springfield,Colt Delta Elite,Para.If you take care of them,They will work every time.
Old 03-03-2011, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Well I would pick the Sig for a few reasons.
1. I do not have large squarish German Hands
2. The extra width in the grip is not useful for those who do not have preban mags.
3. I prefer a DA/SA or a SAO trigger over a striker fired trigger.
4. Pistol whipping people with the Sig would hurt more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

Lifetime NRA member.
Old 03-03-2011, 9:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Happy with my p220st