Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:11 PM

Default Do I need to register my handgun?

Okay, I'm sure you get these types of questions on this forum a lot and there's a lot of precedence for most situations, but I think my situation is a little unique. Please provide any insight you can.

I own a home and live in Indiana. I will be in California for a few months for business purposes. The visit will be about 4 months. I will still keep my house here in Indiana and almost all of my belongings will stay here except the necessities (clothes, toiletries, my handgun). This will be a temporary visit to California, but longer than a traditional weekend vacation. I have a definite arrival date and exit date. My family (wife and two young children) will likely come with me for some of the time. I will be renting a place month-to-month for the short time I am there. When my family is not at home in Indiana, we'll be having some friends house-sit for us. I have no intention of residing in California nor changing my domicile from my Indiana home. I don't intend to change my driver's license, voter registration, etc. etc. and I will plan to file state income tax with Indiana for 2010, 2011, and 2012 (as far as I have control at least).

So here is the question: Am I required by law to register my handgun within 60 days of arrival?

If the answer is "Yes," then how would I even fill out the form as I will not be obtaining a California driver's license? In fact, my car will remain in Indiana and I will be renting a vehicle while in California.

What say ye' oh wise calguns forums?
Old 03-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

No.

You're not moving here, you're just visiting.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Calguns Addict

No registration needed. Just make sure you don't bring any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds with you, and make sure the handgun isn't an Assault Weapon. Other than that, enjoy your stay in The People's Republic of Kalifornistan!

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 03-02-2011, 10:53 PM

First of all, welcome to Calguns.

I want to direct your attention here 1st: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php

And here 2nd: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/travel.php

3rd, if you currently have a concealed carry permit, it is worthless in CA. CA only recognizes permits issued in CA.

4th, if your firearm has a magazine capacity larger than ten rounds, you must leave them home. Buy some ten round magazines for them. You are considered a "personal handgun importer" and it is illegal to bring "large capacity magazines" into CA...with very few exceptions.

As far as being here on a 4 month business stay...as you stated, you are coming here for business reasons and you have no intention of making a home here, and that is one of the major tests of residency. You would not be required to register your handgun with DOJ.
”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
~Unknown

”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmkinsd View Post
As far as being here on a 4 month business stay...as you stated, you are coming here for business reasons and you have no intention of making a home here, and that is one of the major tests of residency. You would not be required to register your handgun with DOJ.
Thanks to you and everyone else who replied. This is the conclusion I drew as well after looking through everything I could read and looking through the laws themselves. Just wanted to get some second opinions from folk who are a little more familiar with the obfuscation known as California Gun Laws.

As far as carrying goes, I'll unfortunately have to break that habit while I'm there. And I already got me some ten-round magazines.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:46 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

No threaded pistol barrels either. That's part of the AW crap laws here meant to trip people up, and isn't an obvious one to new comers. Welcome to the forum

http://store.steampowered.com/app/516520