Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-27-2011, 9:33 PM

Default what can you hunt with a .223?

Im almost done building my AR-15 all im just waiting for is my upper which should be here any day now. But i was wondering what could i hunt with an AR-15 in .223?
Old 02-27-2011, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Anything. I am pretty sure that in CA you can use any centerfire rifle round to hunt.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 02-27-2011, 9:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

MAN!

(sorry, but you know somebody was gonna say it)

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 02-27-2011, 9:38 PM

Ive heard of people going after boar with .223. I know I wouldnt do it, but im no hunter.
Old 02-27-2011, 9:41 PM

Pretty much anything. Wouldn't hunt deer with it though, unless you want to have to track a wounded deer (do yourself and the animal a favor and use something bigger like .308, 30-06, etc.)
Old 02-27-2011, 9:42 PM

a round with a nosler partion bullet you can take down a good size muley or pig but it is critical to have good shot placement. a pulled shot with a .223 will equate to an animal running for a long distance before it goes down.
Old 02-27-2011, 9:42 PM
Warmongering Pacifist
CGN Contributor

Poodles!

Americans who are not self-reliant and depend on government to take care of them are not Americans. You cannot depend on government and be free.
Old 02-27-2011, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Squirrels and Rabbits. There just won't be much left.

But seriously, I think PCH hunts coyotes with .223.

Check me out on YouTube! Shooting, Engineering, and Dogs. What's not to love?
Old 02-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

coyotes and prairie dogs
Old 02-27-2011, 10:06 PM

I would not recommend hunting large game with a .223, but it is an excellent round for hunting small game/varmints. Coyote and rabbits are regularly taken with .223. Heck, cotton tails are great for improving your skills, especially when they are on the run. Oh and they are tasty.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 PM

You can kill anything with a .223 given enough rounds and enough time. That isn't practical for most hunting situations, though.

With some nice heavy 68-75g bullets (with an appropriate barrel) will drop a deer fairly quickly with a well placed shot as long as you're not taking 400+ yard shots out of a 16" AR. Whether or not you can hit the target area is the question. You get a bad shot and have the deer live for a while and run for a mile or two and that is going to suck for the both of you.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I always find it odd that people question 5.56/223 when it comes to hunting,
yet defend it like no other when the M16 or M4 come into question

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 02-28-2011, 12:35 AM

Varmints
Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 AM

I was thinking boar with my Ar. But I will eventually pick up a .308 bolt action hunting rifle in a little bit. Just wanted to know if I could use my .223 with a 68 gr round to take out boar.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl33 View Post
I was thinking boar with my Ar. But I will eventually pick up a .308 bolt action hunting rifle in a little bit. Just wanted to know if I could use my .223 with a 68 gr round to take out boar.

would not be my round of choice for that endeavor, however I have seen a vid of a man taking down a hog with an airgun, so i guess anything is possible
Old 02-28-2011, 5:22 AM

Well they do call the at a mouse gun. Jk.

Does anybody remember the loose cow on hwy 4 a few months ago? I part of that, we were rounding the cattle up and one jumped the fence and got onto hwy 4 in pittsburg. That cow took took two to the head and shrugged it off. That was from an m16 with fmj that the chp had it took about an hour before she would lay lay down. Animal control finally put her down with a 20 gauge slug to the head. I didn't bring my .308 this day since the move was last minute.

I did put down another with a mini 14 wolf .223 with a head shot a point blank with no problem.

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Love me some tube steaks.

Old 02-28-2011, 6:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
I always find it odd that people question 5.56/223 when it comes to hunting,
yet defend it like no other when the M16 or M4 come into question
Because the 5.56 Nato round wasn't designed to instantly kill people.

Like it's been said a dozen times on here. In battle you want to wound the enemy thereby taking up more of the enemy's resources to evacuate and care for him.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 02-28-2011, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
would not be my round of choice for that endeavor, however I have seen a vid of a man taking down a hog with an airgun, so i guess anything is possible
69g hollow point/Vmax through the eye will do it every time.

I shot a boar at 150m in TX with a buddies 30.06 that didn't have a good zero. The round passed through the stomach and the animal was just PO'ed at that point. I closed on him with the scope in low power, he charged and round two entered below the neck, dead on impact. Round placement is critical in hunting. 69g just limits humane/quick kills to the brain box. I can't stand seeing an animal suffer and as such won't hunt with 1: Other peoples rifles 2: Anything smaller than .308 unless it's a varmint.

Just because you can doesnt necessarily mean you should.
Old 02-28-2011, 7:01 AM
Calguns Addict

The deer in southern California can be taken with a .223 and a quality bullet that stays together when expanding. If a hunter can successfully take down a deer with an arrow an expanding .223 bullet will do the job. The deer around here aren't that big.
Old 02-28-2011, 8:05 AM

Varmit and military round. Yes, placement, practice, etc... Realistically, go .30 for hunting anything bigger than 90lbs (in my opinion). It does work very well for yotes, ground squirrels, and other varmits.
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
- Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 02-28-2011, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtv3062 View Post
Well they do call the at a mouse gun. Jk.

Does anybody remember the loose cow on hwy 4 a few months ago? I part of that, we were rounding the cattle up and one jumped the fence and got onto hwy 4 in pittsburg. That cow took took two to the head and shrugged it off. That was from an m16 with fmj that the chp had it took about an hour before she would lay lay down. Animal control finally put her down with a 20 gauge slug to the head. I didn't bring my .308 this day since the move was last minute.

I did put down another with a mini 14 wolf .223 with a head shot a point blank with no problem.
I'd like to know the context of CHP shooting a cow on hwy 4 with their M4's. Seems a little dangerous, eve if hwy 4 was closed!

Speaking of highway 4 in pittsburg, remember last year when a private security company stopped for a naked man on highway 4 and it ended up he was drugged up, fight ensures ON highway 4 with the security and man. CHP arrives to help take him into custody, I think with a tazer. 20 minutes later he's dead. Needed the M4's for THAT!

Ummmmm..... can you kill a bear with .223/5.56? I wanna take my AR hunting, not as the primary kill gun, just as a protection gun....
Old 02-28-2011, 8:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

A little off track but you can hunt anything in North America with this AR15:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=251
Old 02-28-2011, 8:22 AM
Calguns Addict

zombies
Old 02-28-2011, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahKC1987 View Post
Ummmmm..... can you kill a bear with .223/5.56? I wanna take my AR hunting, not as the primary kill gun, just as a protection gun....
You could with the right shot but I wouldn't recommend it to most people. I would pick up a nice hand cannon for protection in case you just pissed the bear off and it decided to run in your direction.
Old 02-28-2011, 9:01 AM

If you have to ask you obviously are not a hunter!

do all of us a favor and take a hunters safety course before you do anything. And please no poaching you give the rest of us a bad name

ML
Old 02-28-2011, 9:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Just saw a show where F&G gave a guy a ticket for hunting with FMJ.... don't be that guy. Buy ammo made for hunting and research the area you will be in.
Old 02-28-2011, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

I was under the impression that CA F&G regs required a caliber greater than .24 to hunt deer? That said, if it is legal you can take deer with .223 but it's not ideal. To be humane about it a head or neck shot is the only reliably quick kill. Hogs are easy with .223 as well but same thing, ear shots.

I shot a hog with my AR-10 in December... .308 @ 10 yards. He had walked up on me while I was crouched examining the deer I had just taken. Stupidly, my scope was still dialed up to 10x and he saw me when I raised my rifle. So all I saw was brown, and I know I hit him but I think I hit him far forward in the neck/chest. He ran well over 100yds and we never did find him. Shot placement is the most important factor in hunting, but you do need to use a heavy enough projectile carrying enough energy to drop the target humanely.

If you get some good 68/69gr ammo and are competent with your rifle you can take deer & hog no problem, but expect to track them. With lighter ammo stick to coyotes, prairie dogs, and other varmint sized game. Get a 6.8 upper if need be, 6.8 is great for deer & hogs.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_711 View Post
I was under the impression that CA F&G regs required a caliber greater than .24 to hunt deer?
You can legally hunt anything that is a game animal (not fowl) in CA with a .25 ACP handgun, with the barrel needing to be 4" in if you are hunting Sheep or (cant remember or google it).

That is legally, not humanely or smart, big difference. One of the reasons why I am back to getting my CZ carbine in 7.62x39 (thanks extra bonus) because as a noob hunter I feel I need to bring a .03 bullet to the hunt, maybe when I get better I will try the head shot with a .223 but I got a lot of learning to do.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Ice-T?

(sorry, couldn't resist and it looks like you already got a bunch of helpful answers)
iTrader protip: When I buy something from you and I immediately pay, then my part is done. That's all I have to do. You can leave me iTrader feedback and go on with your life. When I get the item, I will leave you iTrader feedback, assuming you've already done your part. See how that works?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Shot placement is paramount, how confident are you with that rifle? If you can get the right shot anything can be taken down with a 223.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Maybe a 12ga slug gun would be better.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Yote's, Pigs, Hogs, Small Deer, wild dogs, and anything varmint sized or smaller.
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 02-28-2011, 1:21 PM
Banned

Rabbit's and yotes.
Old 02-28-2011, 3:32 PM

Quote:
I was under the impression that CA F&G regs required a caliber greater than .24 to hunt deer? That said, if it is legal you can take deer with .223 but it's not ideal. To be humane about it a head or neck shot is the only reliably quick kill. Hogs are easy with .223 as well but same thing, ear shots.

I shot a hog with my AR-10 in December... .308 @ 10 yards. He had walked up on me while I was crouched examining the deer I had just taken. Stupidly, my scope was still dialed up to 10x and he saw me when I raised my rifle. So all I saw was brown, and I know I hit him but I think I hit him far forward in the neck/chest. He ran well over 100yds and we never did find him. Shot placement is the most important factor in hunting, but you do need to use a heavy enough projectile carrying enough energy to drop the target humanely.

If you get some good 68/69gr ammo and are competent with your rifle you can take deer & hog no problem, but expect to track them. With lighter ammo stick to coyotes, prairie dogs, and other varmint sized game. Get a 6.8 upper if need be, 6.8 is great for deer & hogs.
Old 02-28-2011, 5:25 PM

Quote:
I'd like to know the context of CHP shooting a cow on hwy 4 with their M4's. Seems a little dangerous, eve if hwy 4 was closed!

Speaking of highway 4 in pittsburg, remember last year when a private security company stopped for a naked man on highway 4 and it ended up he was drugged up, fight ensures ON highway 4 with the security and man. CHP arrives to help take him into custody, I think with a tazer. 20 minutes later he's dead. Needed the M4's for THAT!

This happened between Railroad and Bailey west bound shoulder. Hwy 4 was closed the cow was boxed in between the k rail and sound wall, the CHP used a surplus m16a1. if the officer missed the shot the bullet would of impacted the sound wall, the shot was only 10' at the most. If I had my .308 I would of taken the shot.

Ch 2 had a camera guy their and we tried to block the view of the camera guy for each shot.

Quote:

Old 02-28-2011, 5:33 PM

I have a buddy who has a depredation permit for wild hogs, and he uses a AR15. He is a heck of a shot, but really he uses it for the high capacity magazines (dont worry they are legal). Although if he is out hunting for a hog he is using more then a 223, its more a convience thing.
Old 02-28-2011, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
This happened between Railroad and Bailey west bound shoulder. Hwy 4 was closed the cow was boxed in between the k rail and sound wall, the CHP used a surplus m16a1. if the officer missed the shot the bullet would of impacted the sound wall, the shot was only 10' at the most. If I had my .308 I would of taken the shot.

Ch 2 had a camera guy their and we tried to block the view of the camera guy for each shot.
I'd be less worried about the potential "danger" of the situation and more concerned with whether or not CHP paid for the cow or made an attempt to contact it's owner for live removal prior to just putting it down...
Old 02-28-2011, 6:08 PM

Quote:
I'd be less worried about the potential "danger" of the situation and more concerned with whether or not CHP paid for the cow or made an attempt to contact it's owner for live removal prior to just putting it down...
We gave the officer permission to shoot the cow. Like I said in the two posts before if I had my rifle I would of took the shot

Quote:

Old 02-28-2011, 6:40 PM

Quote:
We gave the officer permission to shoot the cow. Like I said in the two posts before if I had my rifle I would of took the shot
Right, with CHP's mentality they would have cited someone for letting the cow loose on the freeway as opposed to offering to pay for it, LOL.
Old 02-28-2011, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ahh, I saw you say you didn't have your rifle but I missed the part where it was your cow, sorry.