Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-26-2011, 7:23 PM
Default Question about Marlin 783 22 magnum rifles...

So, I've recently acquired a Marlin Model 783 .22 WMR rifle (my first gun). I gave the thing a fairly thorough cleaning (chamber, bolt, stock and barrel), but its been misfiring a lot. At first I thought the problem might be with the ammo (Remington). I oiled up the gun some more, and that helped, but it still misfires too much for my liking. I suspect that the firing pin needs to be cleaned, but I cant completely disassemble the bolt to get to it. The Marlin owner's manual hasn't been much help, and I haven't been able to find any other resources that specifically say how to take out the firing pin.

So, my question is: does anyone know how to remove the firing pin from a Marlin 783 .22 WMR (or, any of the Marlin 780 series)?
Old 02-26-2011, 7:50 PM

If you don't get an answer here, they have (believe it or not) a Marlin Owners forum with guys who eat and breathe nothing but M's.

I know, who'd a thunked?......
Old 02-27-2011, 12:34 AM

If you're talking about, I actually found that forum before I came here, but my registration hasn't been approved.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 AM

Ok, this may sound off topic, but did I just witness you fall victim to severe revenge in a game of Risk?

And, a punch from ace hardware...make sure that it is the biggest size you can get that is still smaller than the pin hole. (You must remove the firing pin retaining pin).

Also, do you or anyone else dry-fire the gun? On rimfire firearms, it can damage the chamber or firing pin. It is possible that if it has been dry-fired, that the pin tip has been damaged, leading to light strikes.
This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.
Old 02-27-2011, 7:06 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Before you disassemble the bolt I suggest that you try some CCI Mini-mags instead of the Remingtons. Could just be the ammo. My Marlin 925M never misfires on CCIs but will on other WMR ammo. You also might try liberally spraying the bolt with brake cleaner to wash out any gunk that might be there instead of removing the firing pin.

Also go over to and seek their guidance on your problem.