Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-23-2011, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Legality in California?? - Ruger LC9

As I am looking for a small, single stack, sub-compact; the LC9 strikes my fancy but I am left wondering. Wondering if it is indead going to be DOJ approved. I know the Ruger rep. has stated its going to be 50 state legal but.....

The California Code of Regulations, Title 11, Division 5, Chapter 5, Article 4, Section 4060 Testing Procedures states,
"(2) Commencing January 1, 2007, the DOJ-Certified Laboratory shall conduct the required testing
of a center-fire semiautomatic pistol which accepts a detachable magazine only after ascertaining
the firearm has both a functioning chamber load indicator and a functioning magazine disconnect
mechanism."
Unfortunately, It does not seem that the Ruger LC9 has a magazine disconnect mechanism.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I am hoping I either mis read the regulations or in fact that the LC9 does have a magazine disconnect.
Old 02-23-2011, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Under features on the ruger site it says it has a "magazine safety" aka magazine disconnect safety. it will be fine, just takes time to get on roster.

Edit: also check page 16 of the manual online, it definitly has a magazine disconnect safety.

Last edited by robcoe; 02-23-2011 at 6:32 PM..
Old 02-23-2011, 6:27 PM
Veteran Member

It will be need to purchased via PPT from someone who already has it, or as a single shot exemption.

it is not on the roster of handguns approved for sale.

"Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton
Old 02-23-2011, 6:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcoe View Post
Under features on the ruger site it says it has a "magazine safety" aka magazine disconnect safety. it will be fine, just takes time to get on roster.
Thank you for pointing this out. Had a paid more attention to what I was reading I would have saved us all some time from both writing and reading this thread.

Looking forward to purchasing one, once it hits the approved list.
Old 02-23-2011, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60 View Post
It will be need to purchased via PPT from someone who already has it, or as a single shot exemption.

it is not on the roster of handguns approved for sale.
This, either wait till whenever[If] it ever get on the roster.
Old 02-24-2011, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

I've done some quick googling and I doubt this pistol will ever make it on the roster.
CA approved pistols need not just a LCI and mag safety, but it must meet certain standards of a LCI which are:

"(d)(1) A functioning chamber load indicator must meet all of the following conditions:

(A) Explanatory text and/or graphics either incorporated within the chamber load indicator or
adjacent to the chamber load indicator is/are permanently displayed by engraving, stamping,
etching, molding, casting, or other means of permanent marking.

(B) Each letter of explanatory text must have a minimum height of 1/16".

(C) The explanatory text and/or graphics shall be of a distinct visual contrast to that of the firearm.

(D) The “loaded” indication, that portion of the chamber load indicator that visually indicates there
is a round in the chamber, shall be of a distinct color contrast to the firearm.

(E) Only when there is a round in the chamber, the “loaded” indication is visible on the firearm from
a distance of at least twenty-four inches. When there is no round in the chamber, the “loaded” indication
must not be visible.

(F) The text and/or graphics and the “loaded” indication together inform a reasonably foreseeable adult
user of the pistol, that a round is in the chamber, without requiring the user to refer to a user’s manual.
"

Your best bet is to get one via single shot exemption. I don't know of any SoCal dealers that sell them, but there is a thread floating around somewhere which may be of help. Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas, and PRK arms in Fresno both stock them, and it's a popular conversion so I don't think the price is anything over MSRP.

"Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton
Old 02-24-2011, 3:34 PM
Calguns Addict

I do believe the LC9 has a chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect.They just need to submit it for drop testing non-sense and wait for it to get approved. Watch the video at around 2:40 in and you will see it's a 50 state legal gun and will approved as soon as California approves it.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice, but let me remind you also that moderation in the persuit of justice is no virtue" -Barry Goldwater

“Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.” -Gerald Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by cudakidd View Post
I want Blood for Oil. Heck I want Blood for Oil over hand wringing sentiment!
^
Old 02-24-2011, 3:44 PM
Veteran Member

ahh! you're right, i was confusing the LCP and LC9, sorry.

Old 03-15-2011, 1:33 PM

Just in case anyone was wondering, the LC9 is now on the Approved Roster!!!

LC9 / Alloy; polymer Pistol 3.14" 9mm expires 3/7/2012

Roster
“See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.” - Colossians 2:8
Old 03-15-2011, 6:36 PM

good news!