Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mls343 View Post
As of January, 2014, will we still be able to purchase rifles from the CMP directly?

Sorry if this question has already been answered alredy as I did not do a search...
Asked in a different thread: answer, "We don't know yet".

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 AM

Thanks, Librarian.
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
- Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 05-10-2012, 5:15 PM

Time to buy a bunch of new lowers

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.” -Unknown

"Remember that it’s far easier to keep the dogs of war at bay, when they’re not barking in your own backyard." -Unknown

CA Bears Target Shooters' on MEETUP
Old 05-10-2012, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Had to go look this up.

I think you may be misreading what they sent you.

PC 11106(a) requires the AG to keep the complete DROS for handguns, and (b)(1) says the office discards the information about long guns after 5 days - but no serial number info is currently collected for long guns.

[[ The oncle version of PC 11106, my usual source for PC text, shows only the version that takes effect in 2014; the still-effective version of 11106 is available from the state site, http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes.xhtml; the state site is canonical. ]]
I appreciate you looking up the PC and the follow up. I can post the letter, it states that handgun serial numbers are not maintained unless voluntarily registered. I only have one handgun that shows up on the paper work they sent me. All the others were DROS or interfamily transfer. Which there was a time when a letter and form were all that were needed. I found it very interesting and keep the letter and copy just in case an issue ever arises.
Old 05-11-2012, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelBender View Post
Time to buy a bunch of new lowers
ditto + an m1a
Old 06-14-2012, 9:50 AM

The odd thing is, it makes more people want to buy guns every time a new law restricting them arises. Just making it harder for the average individual exercising their 2nd amendment rights.
Old 06-26-2012, 7:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBeyondAverage View Post
Man, I feel for you guys. I keep a close watch on California because I believe you guys are the petri dish for what is going to be tried on the rest of us. I'm from Texas btw. I know of a lot of horror stories about a lot of innocent people out there being criminalized because of your regime and it pisses me off. This strict gun crap that seems to be pushing pretty hard towards a ban will get extremely violent before it gets settled. REMEMBER, GIVE EM YOUR AMMO FIRST!
Just wait until the leftist yuppies get a stranglehold on Texas. Theyre on their way so keep an eye out...

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 06-26-2012, 7:40 PM

So it will be one rifle per DROS like handgun? No more one DROS for as many rifles possible? Thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 8:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
Just wait until the leftist yuppies get a stranglehold on Texas. Theyre on their way so keep an eye out...
If Texas goes, so does the rest of America...

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 06-27-2012, 8:54 AM

Texas won't go in our lifetime..I don
Old 06-27-2012, 8:58 AM

Damn phone...i dont see how people can't see that strict gun laws only effect the law abiding citizen...you think criminals are gonna follow gun laws?..seems very obvious to me, criminals that steal, kill..etc...probably aren't purchasing weapons from Sportsmans Warehouse.
Old 06-27-2012, 8:27 PM

Trying to apply logic to liberalism reminds me of my grand-dad's saying: "Never get into a battle of wits with unarmed people".
Old 06-28-2012, 9:20 PM
Calguns Addict

I was thinking. After this takes effect how will LEO be able to tell the difference from unregistered guns bought prior to the registration date? All the long guns everyone owns now are unregisterd (excluding the AW registration) so after the 2014 date, say someone gets pulled over by a LEO and has a gun bought prior to the 2014 date, the LEO askes for papers or whatever (Im unclear as I dont own a handgun or registered long gun so I dont know how it works). Person tells the LEO "This gun was bought prior to 2014, no need for registration." LEO says "Yeah right"...Am I making sense? What would the difference be between BB long guns bought before 2014 and the ones bought after? I mean I know that one will now be registered like a handgun but how would you prove it and convince a LEO that the one you bought before 2014 doesnt need to be registered? PHEW

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.

Last edited by blazeaglory; 06-28-2012 at 9:24 PM..
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I was thinking. After this takes effect how will LEO be able to tell the difference from unregistered guns bought prior to the registration date? All the long guns everyone owns now are unregisterd (excluding the AW registration) so after the 2014 date, say someone gets pulled over by a LEO and has a gun bought prior to the 2014 date, the LEO askes for papers or whatever (Im unclear as I dont own a handgun or registered long gun so I dont know how it works). Person tells the LEO "This gun was bought prior to 2014, no need for registration." LEO says "Yeah right"...Am I making sense? What would the difference be between BB long guns bought before 2014 and the ones bought after? I mean I know that one will now be registered like a handgun but how would you prove it and convince a LEO that the one you bought before 2014 doesnt need to be registered? PHEW
Same problem with handguns not transferred since 1991 - there really will be no way to tell.

Another reason to believe that CA gun bills have nothing to do with guns.

the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Old 06-29-2012, 5:42 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
They would love to disarm everyone tomorrow, BUT they are willing to take the long road if need be.

One day NO ONE will be alive that could have bought a gun before 2014.

In the mean time they will have a list started, so they will know where to start confiscating guns. You've got to start somewhere!!!

Check out my engraving gallery on my website, Thanks
http://vadertactical.com/engraving-gallery
Old 06-29-2012, 6:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Interesting.

Ive never owned a handgun so I always wondered what police officer do in a stop? Do they run the serial number to see if it comes up stolen? Or just take your word for it? Do you carry purchase receipts around or PPT transfers? Anything showing you own it? Or nothing? Sorry to go off topic but Ive been wondering for a while now.

OTOH, I agree about their agenda. I see the insanity in their eyes. They live in some kind of dream world. Sad thing is is that they are slowly making their dreams come true in CA. Lucky we are the hand shaking them awake

Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 PM

I came across this link of AB809 summary of a hearing on April 2011 that states:

4) Destruction of Records: Current law requires the destruction
of long gun sales and transfer records. This bill requires
the preservation of records for long guns sold or transferred
after July 1, 2012. (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/..._asm_comm.html)

Was this line amended in the final chartered bill or does it still stand? I don't have access to a computer, only my cell, so I have no search function and don't feel like reading 60 pages of the bill looking for it. Just thought someone may have already came across this, but didn't see it addressed in this thread.
Old 07-08-2012, 7:35 PM

I haven't seen anything on 809 in awhile. Is it currently being fought? Will it be fought as 2014 gets closer?
Old 07-08-2012, 8:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy86 View Post
I came across this link of AB809 summary of a hearing on April 2011 that states:

4) Destruction of Records: Current law requires the destruction
of long gun sales and transfer records. This bill requires
the preservation of records for long guns sold or transferred
after July 1, 2012. (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/..._asm_comm.html)

Was this line amended in the final chartered bill or does it still stand? I don't have access to a computer, only my cell, so I have no search function and don't feel like reading 60 pages of the bill looking for it. Just thought someone may have already came across this, but didn't see it addressed in this thread.
Seems that provision did not survive in the bill as passed.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/...chaptered.html

Old 07-09-2012, 3:42 AM

It looks like the relevant law is PC 11106. The current language which says that the DOJ shall destroy records of non handgun transfers within 5 days remains in force until January 1, 2014.
Old 07-09-2012, 9:06 AM

Thank you Librarian and mrdd, your responses are greatly appreciated as I was getting a little nervous thinking they started keeping files (02) years early....
Old 07-09-2012, 8:17 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

When the right time comes, this is going to be a fun law to challenge

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 07-10-2012, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

-Gene
Here's to the fun we'll have "Two Years" from now.
"Look at the tyranny of party -- at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty -- a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes -- and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction....."

"The Character of Man," Mark Twain's Autobiography
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitely Devious View Post
Damn phone...i dont see how people can't see that strict gun laws only effect the law abiding citizen...you think criminals are gonna follow gun laws?..seems very obvious to me, criminals that steal, kill..etc...probably aren't purchasing weapons from Sportsmans Warehouse.
This may sound strange, but I think most anti-gun pols are resigned to the criminal use of guns and ignore it in their support of lawmaking. What they focus on is the irrational fear of someone going postal at a work place, family gathering, or a public place, even those are a very tiny fraction of gun deaths. They do this for one reason, those crimes garner so much press that the average person think they account for the majority of gun deaths and the pols can use that fear to pander for votes. Pure and simple self-serving pandering to fear to get elected or re-elected. Nothing more.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
-- John Dean "Jeff" Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 07-13-2012, 9:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The goal is not public safety or crime prevention, it is civilian disarmament.

Corrupt states desire a monopoly of force. We are headed for a condition of anarcho-tyranny: criminals will have weapons to spare, while the law-abiding have none.
Old 07-14-2012, 9:27 AM

i still cannot see a rational explanation for this law and those like it.

it certainly is NOT a crime prevention measure...more like another vehicle for revenue for the state.

i am a legend in my own mind...

we are told not to judge muslims by what a few do...yet, the NRA membership and firearms owners are ALL considered as radical...

"The second amendment ain't about your deer rifle..."
Old 07-14-2012, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

You all overestimate the intellect of those proposing and voting for such bills.

IMHO, the nutjobs passing such legislation truly believe that they are preventing crime and bringing us closer to utopia.

Tough to give a good illustration to show what i mean.

Remember the letter where Steinberg and Yee asked Kamala to change the DOJ guidance/regulation on BB-equipped firearms? It was a monumentally bad idea for their cause but they asked for it.

Point is that these guys are pretty incompetent.

Remember AB32 passage? Those favoring it said it wouldn't have the intended purpose but the symbolism is important and would lead others to do the same and that would result in a utopian environment - so they passed it anyway (at horrendous cost to the California economy).

The symbolism leads to the reality - even if there is no logical connection which shows that the symbolism will result in the desired reality. But this is a point of faith.

It's stupidity and faith in things that aren't so.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Are C&R rifles/shotguns exempt from this?

I didn't find anything in the text of the law saying so or otherwise...

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 07-14-2012, 6:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP91 View Post
Are C&R rifles/shotguns exempt from this?

I didn't find anything in the text of the law saying so or otherwise...
No, not exempt.

The law repealed the part of PC allowing sales of 50+ year old long guns without paper.

The first post says that:
Quote:
YES, in-state C&R long gun purchases are affected;
(1) Starting in 2014, long guns 50 years old and older must be transferred through an FFL; the exemption that is in the law now, that allows FTF of these, is repealed in 2014.
(2) Starting in 2014, a buyer who is a C&R licensee inside CA, with COE (Certificate of Eligibility), may buy guns without involving another FFL. The purchase must be reported; there will be new or modified forms, and you will have to send them in with a fee.

Old 07-14-2012, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

God Im getting sick to my stomach realizing how crazy and fanatical those in power in CA really are. They are blinded by their own stupidity.

How can they continue to make stupid laws when everything around them is going to crap? Instead of trying to fix problems they made, they create laws that have already been proven to fail and cost tax payer money. When everyone has left this state and the politicians are sinking in debt and bankruptcy, would they recognize their mistakes then?

That is the flaw of democracy. Politicians and the wasteful laws they create.

Old 07-14-2012, 9:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It was never intended that the U.S. be a democracy; our Founding Fathers bequeathed us a Republic, and they held democracy in contempt.

Now that our Republic has been replaced with a democracy, the Rule of Law has likewise been replaced with the rule of man.

It's all downhill from here, folks.
Old 07-16-2012, 8:53 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

LOL. I just realized that children who own long guns and move to California from another State after 2014 are exempt from AB 809.

So if a family moves to California all of the adults will have to send in the New Resident Firearm Report for all of their firearms but anybody in the family under the age of 18 who owns firearms won't have to report them. That's because when AB 809 changed "personal handgun importer" to "personal firearm importer" they left the part about having to be at least 18 years of age in the definition. That means if your not at least 18 then you don't fit the definition of "personal firearm importer and aren't subject to the reporting requirement.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 07-23-2012, 12:01 AM

sometimes i wonder if the gun industry is in cahoots with the gun control lobby...because i swear everytime i read about more stupid laws it makes me want to spend more of my hard earned money on more guns that i already have lol..

heres to some new lowers! might get one of every brand i like...
Old 07-23-2012, 3:38 AM

Default Crazy Legislators

Because mentally they are the legislative equivalent of a James Holmes with no regard for anybody else but their own wild imaginings or the social fallout for thier actions which in their twist minds they preceive as being for the 'Good' of the people. In short they are very selfish people and only care for themselves.
Quote:
God Im getting sick to my stomach realizing how crazy and fanatical those in power in CA really are. They are blinded by their own stupidity.

How can they continue to make stupid laws when everything around them is going to crap? Instead of trying to fix problems they made, they create laws that have already been proven to fail and cost tax payer money. When everyone has left this state and the politicians are sinking in debt and bankruptcy, would they recognize their mistakes then?

That is the flaw of democracy. Politicians and the wasteful laws they create.
Old 07-31-2012, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

-Gene
im curious... do we have a strategy for fighting this or do you mean that "fun" sarcastically? as a big fan of cash and carry milsurps, this bill is really making moving out of state much more attractive to me, unfortunately.
Old 08-01-2012, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo223 View Post
sometimes i wonder if the gun industry is in cahoots with the gun control lobby...
No, we are not.

Tank Vest - Molle Vest for Your Dual-Sport Gas Tank
Old 08-01-2012, 8:40 PM

what about Intra-Familial transfer of long guns has that changed because of AB 809?
Old 08-06-2012, 5:11 AM

If i have to register my guns, that means confiscation will file in a matter of years. If any of this revolver madness passes, I'm sending my guns out of the PRK to relatives. 7 years before i can take myself out forever....
Old 08-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedMotives View Post
what about Intra-Familial transfer of long guns has that changed because of AB 809?
It is in the first post:
Quote:
YES, intrafamilial long gun transfers are affected - there will be new or modified forms, and you will have to send them in with a fee when you transfer long guns among parent/child/grandchild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markasaurus View Post
If i have to register my guns, that means confiscation will file in a matter of years. If any of this revolver madness passes, I'm sending my guns out of the PRK to relatives. 7 years before i can take myself out forever....
'Will'?

That's the only reason I can think of to have registration, but 'will follow' is not a necessary consequence - if we stay vigilant and active.

Old 08-07-2012, 7:57 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedMotives View Post
In addition to what Librarian just mentioned, the other thing that will change about intra-familial transfers of long guns is the receiving party will have to be at least 18 years old. No more transferring long guns to minor children or minor grandchildren.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin