Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-21-2011, 9:55 AM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Hopkins & Allen Manfg. Co. Falling Block 12ga Shotgun

Howdy,

does anyone here have any info on this shotgun. It has been in a friends family for a few generations.

Marked:

MADE BY THE HOPKINS & ALLEN MANFG. CO. NORWICH CONN. U.S.A.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

http://www.auctionarms.com/help/foru...ubjectID=22861
Old 02-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Ordo Militaris Templi
CGN Contributor

These guys were busy around the turn of the century (...last century). I have a 22 revolver from them.

HOPKINS & ALLEN ARMS COMPANY, 1902-1914
Previous manufacturer located in Norwich, CT. H&A started their firearms business in 1867, manufacturing percussion revolvers.
Before 1870, they were producing rimfire cartridge guns and eventually centerfire handguns and long guns. Prior to 1896, H&A guns were marked "HOPKINS & ALLEN MANUFG. CO. NORWICH CONN." or other private trade names, including Merwin, Hulbert & Company. Hopkins & Allen guns are about equally priced with Stevens, N.R. Davis, Crescent Firearms Co., etc. There are many exceptions due to the numerous limited production guns, examples of which are the AA GRADE double shotgun and the "PARROT BEAK" Derringer. Hopkins & Allen also manufactured firearms which were not described in their catalogs. Compiled from Hopkins & Allen catalogs by Charles E. Carder.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/953356718..._and_Allen.htm

In America, freedom and justice have always come from the ballot box, the jury box, and when that fails, the cartridge box.
Steve Symms, ex-U.S. Senator, Idaho

Old 02-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

From what ive read its and 1890's blackpowder model shotgun on the larger frame, seem to be quite a few around still but strickly blackpoder shell only due to the cast iron framem made in 45-70 up to 10 gage shotshell only.

dont fire with smokeless low base shells, picing is prbably around $150 low side to as high as $350 for a really nice condition one, maybe more to a serious collector loking for the exact model.

What do you intend to do with it? I would clean it up with bronze steel wool and WD40 and oil and hang it up.

Last edited by 6mmintl; 02-21-2011 at 1:42 PM..
Old 02-21-2011, 3:25 PM
Cantankerous old coot

Thanks everyone.

This is in line with items I have found searching as well.

It is a cool looking piece, but in decidedly poor condition. Obviously not worth a fortune in any respect, but a great piece of family history.
Old 02-21-2011, 3:27 PM
Cantankerous old coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmintl View Post
From what ive read its and 1890's blackpowder model shotgun on the larger frame, seem to be quite a few around still but strickly blackpoder shell only due to the cast iron framem made in 45-70 up to 10 gage shotshell only.

dont fire with smokeless low base shells, picing is prbably around $150 low side to as high as $350 for a really nice condition one, maybe more to a serious collector loking for the exact model.

What do you intend to do with it? I would clean it up with bronze steel wool and WD40 and oil and hang it up.
I don't know what his thoughts are on it, but as it isn't worth a great deal on the collector market I am guessing he will hang it on the wall as a conversation piece.