Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:15 PM

Default Hunting in California City

I've tried a google search and came up empty handed.

I've dirtbiked in Cal city a couple time and have seen jack rabbits and other varmin. Was wondering if anyone knew if it's ok to hunt there? I've seen people shoot out there while i was riding and it's in the middle of BFE. Thinking of taking my ar (of course with a binder with all the letters).
Old 09-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Calguns Addict

nota clue for that spot, but call the regional BLM or even fish and game for your area there. Short of that I'm patiently awaiting what peeeps will tell ya' about the spot..........

~Molôn Labé!!~

1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep
Old 09-18-2006, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

I've done plenty of shooting up in the desert areas north of California City Blvd. Plenty of rattlers and the occasional jackrabbit there. If you look hard enough, there are places that act as a good backstop if you're doing anything from handguns to long range work. Though when I do long range, I always have a buddy with me to act as a spotter to make sure bikers such as yourself are nowhere in sight. For actual hunting.. most head up to the Jawbone area. Plenty of hunters there during the season. I believe its in zone D-9.

I've been meaning to head up there more often. PM me and maybe we could work something out if you're interested.

J
Old 09-18-2006, 10:29 AM

That whole area is a desert tortise preserve.BLM may say you can't shoot there, or they may say don't shoot any tortise.

"If the law is an a** , people will sodomize it"
Old 09-18-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard
I've done plenty of shooting up in the desert areas north of California City Blvd. Plenty of rattlers and the occasional jackrabbit there. If you look hard enough, there are places that act as a good backstop if you're doing anything from handguns to long range work. Though when I do long range, I always have a buddy with me to act as a spotter to make sure bikers such as yourself are nowhere in sight. For actual hunting.. most head up to the Jawbone area. Plenty of hunters there during the season. I believe its in zone D-9.

I've been meaning to head up there more often. PM me and maybe we could work something out if you're interested.

J

nice! what do you hunt up there? Dont feel like shooting a rattler with a .223 round =x What rifle do you hunt with up there?

As for the ninja turtles... maybe if i shoot the ravens they'll leave them alone =x
Old 09-18-2006, 1:07 PM

All you need to get the rabits, rattlers, and other critters is a .22... a .223 will splatter them and there won't be any meat left. Rabbits and rattlers are good! Personally I use a frog gig to get rattlesnakes, I gig their neck near their head and then use a machete to cut off their head.

A word to the wise: California does have limits on rattlesnakes so don't be caught with more than one in the bag.
Old 09-18-2006, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Only certain areas are desert tortoise preserve. Those areas are clearly marked by the 3 foot high stretch of fence I've never really gotten to see the ends of. Definitely don't shoot at the turtoise and you sure as heck don't want to get caught doing it cause i'm sure the fine will be significant.

I go up there with all my gear. Handguns to shoot at random targets I set up.. skeet shooting with 12 ga.. plink with my .22s.. and 1000 Yd shooting with my .308. I try to go on the weekdays when there's absolutely nobody and i'll set up little "courses" and have at it.

I'll admit last year was my first time hunting.. and from what I hear.. nobody saw any deer all season. I'm definitely going back this year and I roll with some. I just remember it was up in Jawbone but i'm definitely going to take more care in remembering direction when I go up again soon. Got my tags and stamps ready to go!

I wouldn't worry too much about spoiling the meat on rattlers which I consider rather stationary targets. Just take the head shot assuming you skill level permits.
Old 09-18-2006, 4:41 PM

Dont go deer hunting... My fathers grandfather shot a deer and on the way back his jeep flipped in korea. Ever since, we never hunt deer. bad luck i guess haha.

If i do go out there, I'll be mainly going for hunting. Maybe unload my ammo at the end of the day. When i went dirtbiking in Apple valley the jack rabbits were pretty dumb. My 2 stroke bike is pretty loud and it doesnt take off running until i'm 50 feet from it. I chased one down and was in kicking distance from it before i just turned around.

Hopefully i'll see some yotes out there. I dont know about eating Jack rabbits though... with all the diseases and such. I fabricated a bunch during culinary school... I kid you not, they look like cats when they're skinned. =x

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard
Only certain areas are desert tortoise preserve. Those areas are clearly marked by the 3 foot high stretch of fence I've never really gotten to see the ends of. Definitely don't shoot at the turtoise and you sure as heck don't want to get caught doing it cause i'm sure the fine will be significant.

I go up there with all my gear. Handguns to shoot at random targets I set up.. skeet shooting with 12 ga.. plink with my .22s.. and 1000 Yd shooting with my .308. I try to go on the weekdays when there's absolutely nobody and i'll set up little "courses" and have at it.

I'll admit last year was my first time hunting.. and from what I hear.. nobody saw any deer all season. I'm definitely going back this year and I roll with some. I just remember it was up in Jawbone but i'm definitely going to take more care in remembering direction when I go up again soon. Got my tags and stamps ready to go!

I wouldn't worry too much about spoiling the meat on rattlers which I consider rather stationary targets. Just take the head shot assuming you skill level permits.
Old 09-18-2006, 5:52 PM

Don't take your chances with eating the rabbits, the risk just isn't worth it. They tend to be plagued with sarcocystis, and tularemia (supposedly it's been a bad year with the hot weather and all). I wouldn't even recommend touching them let alone skinning them. Also, check yourself for ticks after you've been stalking them through the brush. It's the ticks that carry/transmitt tularemia.

There's too many other cheap alternatives at your local grocery store to be taking any chances with rabbits.
Old 09-19-2006, 7:17 AM

If you go to Jawbone watch out for dirt bike riders and four wheelers, they're all over the place out there. As to Cal City you need to stay away from the turtle area, you're not even allowed to touch them.

You can go a little further up the road to Red Rock Cyn. but be sure to watch for hikers...
Old 09-29-2006, 7:32 AM
Veteran Member

I'll be hunting deer and bear out there this weekend. I'll let y'all know how it goes.. if i'm successful
Old 09-29-2006, 8:17 AM

Dont shoot the turtles, not because the law but because they are cool creatures. They are very odd, tough and prehistoric....Might want to check with Cal city PD on local laws
Old 10-02-2006, 1:16 PM
Veteran Member

Default Weekend report

Saw two bucks on my way up before sunrise so I couldn't take them. Saw two guys that took a bear. What did I get that day you may ask? One grey squirrel and a speeding ticket.

I'll be going up there again this weekend for three days. I'll definitely be maxing my limit on the squirrels during the day and trying to get the big boys in the morning and evening.