Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-21-2014, 3:43 PM

Ok---Thank you---I see the study guide at www.ag.ca.gov/firearms---But where can you obtain a physical copy of it??

Happy
Old 01-22-2014, 9:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyharold4 View Post
Ok---Thank you---I see the study guide at www.ag.ca.gov/firearms---But where can you obtain a physical copy of it??

Happy
I doubt you will need a physical copy of it. The HSC test is so easy, whoever fails it should not be allowed to own a gun.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:19 AM

Thumbs up Thanks!

I appreciate the post as I am hoping to get my first, and very own, handgun. A friend has M&P .45ACP and starting to look like my first choice even though its a bigger caliper.
Old 04-16-2014, 5:37 AM

That was a lot of very good information and it is appreciated. Personally I own a Beretta M9 and am looking to buy a HK USP .40. I felt the beretta was a good first gun to own, it is reliable, comfortable and pretty inexpensive. My only regret is that it is a 9mm for two main reasons, it doesn't feel powerful enough, and lately finding ammo for it is just a pain.

Sticks and stones may break bones
But hollowpoints expand on impact
Old 05-08-2014, 7:16 PM

Good read. Thank you. New to guns and this answered many of my questions.
Old 06-12-2014, 8:29 PM

Default FMK 9mm

I just got a new FMK 9mm. Took it to the range today for the first time. I had no problem with it. It shoots fine.

I bought 3 extra mags for it(It comes with 2), giving me a total of 5 ten round magazines. 14 round magazines are available for it, just not in Kalifornia. So, I'll have to wait until I move out of state to get those.

Out of the box, it functioned perfectly and shot very good center of mass at 15 yards. 15 yards is the maximum distance at this indoor range. I have no reason to doubt it's accuracy at 25 yards.

It's very similar to a Glock in trigger configuration. Trigger pull was a little heavy, but not a distraction to shooting. It's got a couple of Kalifornia requirements that I don't care for, but that's Kalifornia.
1. The magazine will not drop free with just a push of the magazine release. You must pull it free with your opposite hand.
2. It will not fire with the magazine out of the weapon.

Be that as it may, I have no regrets in my acquisition and do plan to add it as one of my carry guns. Only Kalifornia licenses the weapon and not the person. All of my out-of-state permits don't list the weapons at all.

Only time and rounds will tell how well it stands up to use. (also abuse)

I've heard some people complain about the customer service at FMK. I can say that I've no problems with customer service. They answered quickly and clearly.

Just another firearm for people to consider.

__________________________________________________ __________
US Marine - no better friend, no worse enemy.
NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Certified Law Enforcement Armorer
Gunsmith for last 30 years
Old 10-27-2014, 10:49 AM

Thanks for this info. It really helps a newbie like me. Some of it answered my questions and some of it made me aware of things I had never considered.

I searched online about 'first time hand gun owner in california' and it brought me to this thread. Im glad it did because this forum is full of great info.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Updated this guide today. Thanks for the words, keep passing it on to your friends!
Old 11-10-2014, 2:12 PM

I just purchased my first 9mm pistol, an H&K VP9, and am currently trying different rounds at the range. So far it has just been WWB & Federal. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with aluminum casings, positive and negative. It would make for a cheaper range ammo, unless it is mroe trouble than it's worth.
Old 11-14-2014, 7:25 AM

Default Choosing Your First CA Legal Semi-Automatic Hand Gun - A Comprehensive Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
I just purchased my first 9mm pistol, an H&K VP9, and am currently trying different rounds at the range. So far it has just been WWB & Federal. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with aluminum casings, positive and negative. It would make for a cheaper range ammo, unless it is mroe trouble than it's worth.
Take a look at the prices at FreedomMunitions.com. I bought 1,000 rounds of new brass FMJ 9mm ammo for about $200 even. You can order ammo over the Internet and they'll deliver it straight to your door. They'll sell it remanufactured or new. I've used both. You may occasionally get a jam using remanufactured ammo. It's fine for range use but you shouldn't rely on it for home defense.
Old 12-23-2014, 9:15 PM

thanks for posting this! it was a great read for a beginner like me
Old 12-31-2014, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusco19 View Post
question, when you go pick up your gun, can you bring any type of gun safe or does it have to be california approved safe? how about a trigger safety? i heard some shops requires you to have both and have read before you also need a dummy bullet to demo your competency in gun handling?
Yes, many shops will require you to show a safe firearms handling demonstration, and if you are purchasing a gun that does not come with a CA approved lock from the factory, you will need to purchase one. It can be a cable lock, trigger lock, etc. I believe the receipt for the purchase of the gun lock needs to be within 30 days of the DROS date, and you DON'T have to buy the lock from the store, although it may be convenient at the time. You can purchase a cheap CA approved cable lock off of ebay for $3 and show the shop the receipt just to fulfill this requirement.

I have also signed a gun safe affidavit that can allow you to skip the purchase of a lock, provided you have an actual gun safe and know the model number.
Old 01-03-2015, 4:27 PM

Very cool. Thanks for the info. This is a big help.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:40 PM

Hi folks - this is all really helpful info. I was wondering if anyone could recommend the best online sites to buy handguns. I'm trying to find the best price on a Sig 220 carry and it seems the best price for one with nite sights is around $850 and my local shop - Martin Retting - has it for $960 (the sales guy had an attitude however). Is that about right? Once you add shipping and FFL fees I'm guessing the $850 turns into $950 pretty quick.
Old 02-21-2015, 7:49 PM

Quick question for anyway willing to have some input,

Glock 17 9mm, or Sig Sauer 2022 9mm?

Glock 17 gun only, sig comes with laser holster, and two mags.

Both, brand new.
Old 03-13-2015, 3:31 PM

Default Good Info, Please update No more SSE, Family gift off roster

I found this thread very helpful. I do think it now needs to be updated for getting the Off Roster guns, though. Since January this year the SSE option went away.

Also please add that Intrafamilial gift is also exempt from Roster. But it needs to be Grandparent, Parent, Child relationship. In-laws, Steps, siblings, aunts/uncles don't count. I am getting an off roster Sig P290RS from my Dad in Arkansas because he's willing to gift it to me. I had to do some searching for an FFL in the area who knew how to do it though. The first place said "that can't be done". It should arrive at my FFL any day and then I can start the 10-day Jail.
Old 03-20-2015, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brekkke View Post
I found this thread very helpful. I do think it now needs to be updated for getting the Off Roster guns, though. Since January this year the SSE option went away.

Also please add that Intrafamilial gift is also exempt from Roster. But it needs to be Grandparent, Parent, Child relationship. In-laws, Steps, siblings, aunts/uncles don't count. I am getting an off roster Sig P290RS from my Dad in Arkansas because he's willing to gift it to me. I had to do some searching for an FFL in the area who knew how to do it though. The first place said "that can't be done". It should arrive at my FFL any day and then I can start the 10-day Jail.
Thanks for the reminder! Edited SSE portion out.
Old 03-31-2015, 3:18 AM

Thumbs up

Very informative ! Thanks for taking time to write this guide .
Old 03-31-2015, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Cleaned up and deleted about 40 posts from the thread.

Please don't post off-topic things or questions - there's a forum for CA legal questions, link below in my signature.

See also the wiki article on buying and selling guns - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Bu..._in_California

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-03-2015, 5:33 PM

Start with a Glock, everyone should have at least 1. My reasoning is because it would be your last firearm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited by kraycat; 09-03-2015 at 5:48 PM..
Old 09-17-2015, 1:01 PM

this will be my 6th handgun purchase.. and im just as confused lol
Old 10-08-2015, 3:47 PM

Default Just get a hi-point...No seriously

Glocks shoot extremely LOW LEFT!! Piece of crap!! 1911's, to heavy and the technology is antiquated... Sig.... ooooh operator...played out!!

I love me a hi-point!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi-poiont.jpg (98.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-11-2015, 6:30 PM

Howdy all, this is my first post.
Great source of information here. I currently own several handguns and bought another recently.
I did a lot of looking, talking and checking reviews and going to gun shops to get opinions.
I went with a Springfield XD .40 cal S&W with a 4" bbl. I wanted the XDM but it cannot be sold in Calif. I like the internal hammer or striker, and the two safeties, loaded, (round chambered) indicator and cocked indicator. Sweet weapon and shoots straight and the weight, 32 oz gives a modest recoil plus the fact that is holds twelve rounds in the clips. Came with a Calif approved case. gun lock/case lock, cleaning kit and two clips and can be equipped with a light or laser pointer.

Last edited by califgoldminer; 10-13-2015 at 7:30 AM..
Old 12-03-2015, 12:41 PM

iareconfuse:

Thank you very much for authoring and updating your comprehensive guide for beginners. I joined this forum specifically to be able to reach out to you and let you know how much your efforts are appreciated. I imagine there are hundreds of others who have benefited from your thread without even joining the forum to express their thanks... but I'll bet they appreciate it all the same.

The more experienced here probably can't remember the time when they lacked an understanding of what they now take for granted as common knowledge known at birth. Sometimes, the voice of a sophomore is more accessible to the ears of a freshman, because the sophomore still remembers what they didn't know not long before.

Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2015, 1:44 PM

Not sure why I haven't come across this thread first upon signing up, but this is a very informative post. As a veteran wanting to go back to shooting again, I felt this was a great refresher for someone like myself who have experience shooting, but want to get up to speed with complying with CA law when it comes to firearm ownership.

A glossary of terms may be helpful for the newbies, as there will be quite a few acronyms out there to be familiar with (as if I wasn't inundated enough with acronyms in the military as it is). Thanks!
Old 01-02-2016, 9:25 AM

matkandu... thank you for your service.

A dictionary of acronyms is a good idea, so good in fact, that thankfully someone else thought of it too, and it is part of the CalGuns Foundation Wiki.

Here is a direct link:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...s_and_Acronyms
Old 01-16-2016, 7:14 AM

My first post. After reading thru all of this thread (thanks, it's great) I'v seen reference a few times to the above. I do not see a wiki or a glossary. Probably in front if me.. but I'm just taken to that Org page..

Thanks for any pointers.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:07 AM

Hello all,
Well i just found this forum and so far it's been awesome reading and learning stuff. I will be owning my gun pretty soon hopefully. I will be a new gun owner and had a couple questions.

I been looking around for the last 1 month 1/2 for a gun that i would like. I went to the range to take a safety course and was able to fire the XD 9m '4 That gun felt very nice in my hand easy to fire. One of my co-works keep pushing me to get the same gun but in a '5 inch one. So here's what i'm thinking . I narrowed it down to 2 guns after reading and going to the gun store this weekend. The gun shop employee gave me some good advice on the glock 19 . That one felt good in my hand too plus i notice the trigger on that one was nice. I haven't fire either gun so i don't know if that's a good idea just to go based on it. Like i said i did fire the xd 9m 4' so I'm hoping it feels the same. Notice it's a little top heavy.

1. XD 9m 5
2. Glock 19 9m

Any calgunners out there that have experience with any/multiple or all of these?
The purpose will basically be for primary home defense weapon as well as using it at the range.
Old 02-16-2016, 3:27 PM

I rarely see this much useful information given in one spot and I appreciate your effort, for myself and for any newbs. Thank you!
Old 03-16-2016, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loui3 View Post
Hello all,

1. XD 9m 5
2. Glock 19 9m

Any calgunners out there that have experience with any/multiple or all of these?
The purpose will basically be for primary home defense weapon as well as using it at the range.
Go for the G19.
The XD is hard on the hands, especially if you work in an office (soft hands)
Old 03-26-2016, 10:37 PM

Default Choosing Your First CA Legal Semi-Automatic Hand Gun - A Comprehensive Guide

Hey what's up gang.
I'm new here too! but have been shooting since I was 6. I've been off scene for years now and only recently started up this sport again. this forum has provided me so much information it's a new favorite resource forum for me.

Loui3

I have both a 4" XD9 and a Glock 23. The 23 being of course, the .40 version of the 19.
Both are great beginner guns. Light, Easy to work on, fix and maintain. Easy to shoot. No visible safety but still have passive safety's always in effect.
The cliche "You have to feel both of them" really applies.

If you go XD then yeah I like the idea of a 5" tube.
Glock is to handgun like Honda Civic is to cars. So many parts out there for it if you like to tinker. Both need grip of some sort.
The obvious differences are in the grip and how they point. The Glock has a more foreword aggressive grip. While the XD has a more upright grip. Which one feels right? Both have good forgiving triggers for beginners. You have to feel their triggers. Better yet shoot them side by side. The 9mm is a great choice and shooting round. The easiest serious caliber to master. Perfect for level 1 shooters. It's always better to learn on a 9. Why? Cause it's cheap!!! It gives you more shots per dollar! More practice. That's what everyone needs. Trigger time. Myself included.

One will just feel better.
Good luck. I hope you get to shoot them both.

Edit: forgot to mention. If it's just gonna be a range toy then you can add a mag well with a brass weight in the handle. It will counter balance the top heaviness of either platform.

Last edited by Musubi1000; 03-26-2016 at 11:19 PM..
Old 04-21-2016, 4:01 AM

Smile Great Guide

Excellent information, well researched and presented! I read the whole thing, and will re-read.
This is a go to reference for me, THANKS!!
Old 04-28-2016, 8:28 PM

In case you wonder, yes, people are still coming across this and finding value!
Thanks.
Old 05-05-2016, 8:57 AM

Just to chime in - my first will be a Glock 22 (Gen3)! Hoping to pick it up by this afternoon...

Some background on how I came to choose a 40-cal for my first gun:

- Before I've even fired a pistol, already was a member of the NRA and subscribed to their magazines for a few years
- Found myself having a preference for the contemporary semi-auto and hammer/striker fired
- When I decided to finally take the next step, signed up for a Basic Handgun class
- The class only had 38 revolvers; but did ask the Instructor if he had any 40/45-cal semi-auto, etc. I got back with a P229 in 40-cal
- On the day of the class - loved the Sig. After class, the instructors commented that I did really good with the Sig - getting precise and accurate groups in the 3-yd and 7-yd lines (inclusive of 2- and 3- taps). They even admitted that they were actually worried at the beginning if I could handle the 40-cal
- Thus, instructors said - "I guess time to get your own gun...? :-p"

As I was contemplating actually purchasing one, got myself NextLevel's SiRT (which was patterned after the G17/G22) for some dry fire. Loved that as well!

When I finally decided to purchase one - I find that the Sig is way $$$ for my budget. So, settled then for something cheaper (and simple), and to what my dry fire laster pistol is based on - the Glock in 40-cal, which btw, is a standard-duty piece. So, why not start on something that is the standard/baseline? And branch out from there?
Old 05-09-2016, 7:43 PM

I still think a Glock should be the first.

G17 or 19
Old 06-24-2016, 10:17 PM

You are knowledge about guns. I am looking for a hand gun to buy. Very glad to read your article
Old 07-09-2016, 9:25 PM

Thumbs up Best guide for beginner!

In my humble but brave opinion, this guide/introduction for beginner is the best. I think you can post it in wikipedia; it's very helpful to me.

Deeply appreciated.
Old 08-02-2016, 8:50 PM

Thanks for sharing! Great post!
Old 08-28-2016, 6:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for an organized post aimed at new gun users. I read it all and will have to go back and read some of it over. It is a lot of information so this will be a great reference. I am thinking about buying a new handgun so now I will do some renting to try to find the best gun for me.
Old 08-29-2016, 6:43 AM
https://goo.gl/JYVbtA
CGN Contributor

reported muntako img spammer